User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.  First shooting-sport fatality I can remember hearing about in a long, long time.
View Quote
action pistol competitor killed by deflected bullet
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#2]
thousands of people shoot uspsa/ipsc/idpa etc every weekend and don't have an accident.  this is a rare occurance and we really don't know the facts yet in this situation.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It should be the fifth rule: Never try to catch a falling gun.
View Quote
I add it in all pre-match briefings.

Yes, you'll be DQ'd and going home, but you won't be going home with an extra hole.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#4]
He was a good guy and an excellent ambassador for the sport.

He instructed Black Badge and got a helluva lot of people into the sport.

You can climb a thousand mountains, the 1001st something goes wrong and you fall to your death.

You can make a hundred parachute jumps, 101st your chute fails to open.

The gun control lobby isn't making a lot out of this yet, but eventually they will in their insidious ways.

Rest well and God speed Richard, you did well and made a huge impact on your community.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would armor have even been a factor here?
View Quote
Just for grins we shot our open guns at some turned in police soft armor.

It turned it into Swiss cheese.  First round burned right through.

You need IIIa for a 115 at 1500+.  Even my 124 at 1450 went through.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
That's really sad news, especially for his family. Cant say I know him but may have shot with him at Nationals. Not sure what gun he shoots but likely an open gun. I'm an RO and every open gun I've seen has a pinned grip safety, its just how the game is played.

Sadly this incident will be fodder for the anti-gun nuts and more restrictions likely to be coming.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that sucks.  Must have been terrible for everybody at the match.

The first day of chef's school, Chef taught us that a falling knife has no handle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The only good that can come of this is that it reminds us about the importance of safe gunhandling and having a good and practiced emergency action plan.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
A cop in Smyrna, Tn dropped his issue Glock back in the late 90s/early 2000s. He tried to catch it also. One finger went in the trigger guard and he shot himself in the groin/femoral artery area.
Lucky for him the EMT station was part of the police station.

He tried suing Glock and that is when the truth came out about one of his fingers going inside the trigger guard
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
After years of operating and using all sorts of sharp and dangerous utensils, if something is going for the ground, put your hands up and step back.

I dropped a very nice stainless steel 1911 on the concrete doing holster drills in high heat and with sweaty hands.

Once it's out of my hands, it's going down.
View Quote
I had that reflex kick in today with a falling needle. My hope is that it would persist with a falling gun. That's counterbalanced by having carried enough tiny babies to have some residual "grab it at any cost" wiring.

Also, note to self: check grip safeties on my STIs. They're not pinned, IIRC, but one of them may have a very light spring engagement.  

However, people should also keep in mind that it's possible to actuate the grip safety and trigger of a falling 1911-type without having a firing grip. Muzzle pointing at you, fingers on backstrap, thumb inadvertently goes into trigger guard. Squeeze to catch it, and it may discharge.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't dropped a gun during training, drills, IDPA or during comp.
Have had the carry gun fall off a counter/dresser a couple times. I just cringe, hope
for the best, and let it hit the deck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is why if guns/knifes fall you let them fall and don't try to grab them on the way down. Sad.
View Quote
His first thought was probably if the chambered pistol hits the ground and goes off he was worried about what innocent person might get hit....
Split second thought....just an extremely unfortunate accident...
To have a pro gun doctor who trains at that level....what a tragic loss.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've wondered why a loaded gun hitting the deck is a DQ under IPSC/USPSA rules and the best reason I can come up with is that since people have a tendency to grab falling objects, they want people to be sure holsters and other retention devices securely hold the firearm to prevent the falling and the possibility of an accident.
View Quote
They want you not to drop your gun.

Freak shit happens all the time though.  Sucks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should issue 9 major for police Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Damn, that sucks.  First shooting-sport fatality I can remember hearing about in a long, long time.
View Quote
First ever for IPSC. Big loss for the community, everyone's still pretty shaken up

ETA: Apparently maybe not the first ipsc death
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Many years ago I dropped a very sharp knife. I attempted to catch it.  Fifty some years later, I've still got the scar on the tip of my little finger.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Richard was indeed shooting an open gun. Gun got hung up while shooting through a port, fumbled, through and through to the torso. The bullet went over the head of the RO.

There were no less than 3 medical professionals working on him RIGHT AWAY. They did an amazing job all things considered, brought him back once before the EMTs arrived in 2 ambulances, maybe 15 minute response time which wasn't horrible considering the fairly long dirt road that needs to be taken to get to the range.

RIP Dr. Cho
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did he take it to the body, or to the face?

....I always visualize myself taking one to the face, so letting the gun fall is easy for me.
View Quote
Chest
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Tragic
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Terrible may he RIP
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is why if guns/knifes fall you let them fall and don't try to grab them on the way down. Sad.
View Quote
Instinct.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Richard was indeed shooting an open gun. Gun got hung up while shooting through a port, fumbled, through and through to the torso. The bullet went over the head of the RO.

There were no less than 3 medical professionals working on him RIGHT AWAY. They did an amazing job all things considered, brought him back once before the EMTs arrived in 2 ambulances, maybe 15 minute response time which wasn't horrible considering the fairly long dirt road that needs to be taken to get to the range.

RIP Dr. Cho
View Quote
Well shit.  RIP and condolences to family.

Have to fight instinct, which takes time.  Moving I dropped my Glock 19 off the safe, instinctively I reached for it then remembered to let it fall.  Almost grabbed it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Sad story.  RIP, Mr. Cho.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Accidents are EXTREMELY rare in the sport of USPSA, 3gun / multi-gun, IPSC, IDPA, etc.

Fatalities are virtually unheard of.
View Quote
not today, they aren't
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#28]
May he RIPSC.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
May he RIPSC.
View Quote
So wrong.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man, that sucks.  It's just one of those things where you're so conditioned to try to catch things that you drop, very hard habit to break.
View Quote
RIP...I have to admit I would probably attempt to catch it without even thinking...good thing to be aware of.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top