Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2011 3:46:12 PM EDT
Alright, well I finally got everything I need to build up my truck.  My Ex is a 98 w/ a 5.0 Eddie Bauer w/ just under 150,000 miles.  
I think I am going to remove the factory fender flares and sidesteps, will give the truck a leaner look I think.  But part of me wants to leave the steps for my chick (shes kinda short lol).  
I currently have just a muffler on there that sounds nice, but next stage of mods will be a new front bumper, new headlights, MAC cold air intake, TM headers, Motorcraft Plugs and Wires and full off road exhaust.  
Here is what I've purchased:
(4) Bilstein Shocks

Warrior 153 Shackles

33" BFG Mudder KM2's

15x8 Pro Comp 152's rims

EDIT: just finished it today:

And here is the truck:

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for pics of when it is done.  

Is it 4x4?  

I think it will look better without the side steps and fender flares.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool project...reason why you picked the Explorer as the platform?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Tag for pics of when it is done.  

Is it 4x4?  

I think it will look better without the side steps and fender flares.

Pre-runner is generally a 2wd....

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
No reason, I just happen to own one with a V8, and I think that prerunner explorers are awesome, I have quite a few out here in SoCal.  

Yes, it is a 2WD

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Those side steps look like shit. Get rid of them and all that ugly-ass gold plastic. Your girlfriend can jump in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Eh......

I had a 98 Explorer. I would not want to put all of that gear on it. YOu are pretty much dressing up a turd. That thing lacks power, and is terrible off road. You could get on old cherokee or 4runner for that price range and it would actually be able to use all that gear.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice station wagon.

And pics of the GF or gtfo. Sorry, its the rule.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]

few more prerunner explorers:

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
2 WD?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

2 WD?

Desert truck man, building this for the long sweeping powerline roads

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Eh......

I had a 98 Explorer. I would not want to put all of that gear on it. YOu are pretty much dressing up a turd. That thing lacks power, and is terrible off road. You could get on old cherokee or 4runner for that price range and it would actually be able to use all that gear.

A 97' with TTB front suspension would be the idea explorer for pre running.  You can get very good suspension travel with TTB...IFS not so much.   I had a 2000 Ranger and have a 2000 Explorer.  I ran the shit out of the Ranger and in the end IFS sucks unless you want to spend some $$$ on a Dixon Bros suspension setup, and even then a TTB setup with still top it.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool project.  A buddy of mine has one, but I belive it is a V-6.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2 WD?

Look up "prerunner".
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever floats your boat. it's your money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:10:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Looks like a cool project, but I don't understand the whole prerunner thing. Why invest all that time and money into a 2wd vehicle? I see lots of people out here in az buy brand new 2wd tacomas and bolt a ton of shit on them. Screams poser to me because you are still stuck with a vehicle that has the same capabilities as my exploder.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever floats your boat. it's your money.

Meh. I'll echo this sentiment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Looks like a cool project, but I don't understand the whole prerunner thing. Why invest all that time and money into a 2wd vehicle? I see lots of people out here in az buy brand new 2wd tacomas and bolt a ton of shit on them. Screams poser to me because you are still stuck with a vehicle that has the same capabilities as my exploder.

Prerunners are definitely more popular on the west coast.  The concept is to 'pre-run' desert race roads at a higher rate of speed, so you want a 2WD truck with some travel in the front suspension.  Prerunners are designed for running at speed through the desert, while 4x4's are for navigating difficult terrain, mud, etc.  Just two different types of vehicles.

Check this video out to put it into perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ua0lsed0ug

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Prerunners are definitely more popular on the west coast.  The concept is to 'pre-run' desert race roads at a higher rate of speed, so you want a 2WD truck with some travel in the front suspension.  Prerunners are designed for running at speed through the desert, while 4x4's are for navigating difficult terrain, mud, etc.  Just two different types of vehicles.

Thanks for the info, as I am truly ignorant on the subject.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
needs more redneck
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Cool!

Looking forward to finished pics.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I hate when people call SUV's trucks
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Eh, you are just dressing up the family station wagon there.

Toss the engine and trans, give it a built 351W and C4 trans, 9" rear. That thing needs a tubeframe, loose the glass, all of it. New long travel suspension. Pull all the excess weight, etc. for starters.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know, its a restyled mini-van.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well this year of explorer is built on a truck frame (ranger) and has a V8, and will have close to 8" of travel, I would consider it a truck/SUV

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Check this video out to put it into perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ua0lsed0ug

I love prerunners!

check out the suspention movement on this vid..same truck as the one you posted but the front on shots are insane.
http://youtu.be/-6juGO8y8es
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag for progress.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Cool project. Can't wait to see some pics of the finished truck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Giggaty
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Could be cool if done right.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My 93 Explorer is built on a Ranger frame, is 4wd, and has a cantilever independent front suspension (keeps the tires flat when the suspension travels).   Between the push button 4wd, and factory posi in the rear, it's a little more capable than a Mini-van, and actually does better in mud than a lot of big trucks that are 4x4, that have open differentials.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Prerunner:

1. The enemy combatant you make walk in front of you to eat tripwire consequences and/or mines.

2. Waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Prerunner:

1. The enemy combatant you make walk in front of you to eat tripwire consequences and/or mines.

2. Waste of money.

How's that?

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Prerunner:

2. Waste of money.

Everything is a waste of money unless it's an investment. Then it's only a chance of being a waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Alright, well I finally got everything I need to build up my truck.  My Ex is a 98 w/ a 5.0 Eddie Bauer w/ just under 150,000 miles.  

I think I am going to remove the factory fender flares and sidesteps, will give the truck a leaner look I think.  But part of me wants to leave the steps for my chick (shes kinda short lol).  

I currently have just a muffler on there that sounds nice, but next stage of mods will be a new front bumper, new headlights, MAC cold air intake, TM headers, Motorcraft Plugs and Wires and full off road exhaust.  

(4) Bilstein Shocks
Warrior 153 Shackles
33" BFG Mudder KM2's
15x8 Pro Comp 152's rims

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/bfg.jpg

And here is the truck:
http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/bfg2.jpg  

Are you on explorerforum.com?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Prerunner:

2. Waste of money.

How's that?

Well I guess you could sell it for half of what you put into it to someone in Fresno.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Prerunner:

2. Waste of money.

How's that?

Well I guess you could sell it for half of what you put into it to someone in Fresno.

Or drive it, enjoy it, and not worry about resale?

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#37]
That should be one kick ass offroad vehicle.

I never understood why everyone loves massive trucks for offroading. Your midsized truck/SUV will fit places that many large trucks can't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(4) Bilstein Shocks

Warrior 153 Shackles

33" BFG Mudder KM2's

15x8 Pro Comp 152's rims

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/bfg.jpg
And here is the truck:

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/bfg2.jpg  

Are you on explorerforum.com?

ya man sure am, my handle there is king$nake

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

He wants to explore Jurassic park?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't they use Jeeps?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't they use Jeeps?

The Park workers used jeeps, the "Ride" used Exploders.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#42]
nm

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going to be putting those same tires on my Jeep, they look nice and are great off roaders.

While I always appreciate people putting some hard work into their vehicles, I don't really like the SoCal Prerunner craze.

Real Prerunners on the other hand kick ass.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's a better jump

HERE
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks pretty good. I would ditch the steps for sure though.

If you have not done so already, check out Dezertrangers.com and Race-dezert.com for lots O prerunner stuff.

Prerunner style trucks are a crapton of fun but very expensive to build right.

Currently in the midst of a frame off build of a toyota pickup. Total chaos front kit, Deaver rear springs, Tundra rear end, full cage and Lexus V8. I am keeping it 4x4 though so I can use it for general off road fun as well as hauling ass in the desert.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Looks good brah

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't they use Jeeps?

The Park workers used jeeps, the "Ride" used Exploders.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/SRprikktmOI/AAAAAAAAWpY/dBlcSNybGHM/s1600/Jurassic%2BPark%2BJeep.jpg

ah yes, the Ford Exploder model. I remember thinking that JP explorer was the coolest looking SUV as a kid
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

ah yes, the Ford Exploder model. I remember thinking that JP explorer was the coolest looking SUV as a kid

I have a 1993 Explorer right now, same year as that movie.  It's a nice little vehicle.  Turns better than most cars, and can tackle light to moderate off roading.

Plus you can buy them dirt cheap!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Impressive terrier clearance
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That should be one kick ass offroad vehicle.

I never understood why everyone loves massive trucks for offroading. Your midsized truck/SUV will fit places that many large trucks can't.

This.

I used to have a lifted 1980 Bronco.  I could wheel it like crazy anywhere that it would fit, but my friends with Rangers, Toyotas, etc. could go to a lot more places.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top