Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I can see circumstances where that letter would be entirely appropriate and others where it would not; not knowing what she was actually wearing that day, I can't comment, except to say that, again, there could easily be times where such a letter was appropriate, and if that was the case here, whatever other issues I have with mormonism, I applaud the young man for the way he handled it.

No.

Fuck this faggot.  Her attire is not provocative at all.

This isn't an "honor code" thing, this is a "I'm so sexually repressed I'm probably going to commit suicide after raping a 3 year old" thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can see circumstances where that letter would be entirely appropriate and others where it would not; not knowing what she was actually wearing that day, I can't comment, except to say that, again, there could easily be times where such a letter was appropriate, and if that was the case here, whatever other issues I have with mormonism, I applaud the young man for the way he handled it.

Seriously? He passed a note like a little girl then ran away like a bitch.  What is there to applaud about this?  If he has strong convictions he should be prepared to stand and back them up.  He's disturbed, deeply.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
She signed the honor code.

And I'd assume that if she were in violation of it she would have been spoken to by someone from the University, no?

The guy writing the note is a creeper.

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest
Live a chaste and virtuous life
Obey the law and all campus policies
Use clean language
Respect others
Abstain from alcoholic beverages, tobacco, tea, coffee, and substance abuse
Participate regularly in church services
Observe the Dress and Grooming Standards
Encourage others in their commitment to comply with the Honor Code

Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2011-2012ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#HCOfficeInvovement

Dress and Grooming at above along with other parts
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Bah fake story is fake...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my cup of tea but the school's got a reputation.  If you don't want to deal with shit like that, don't go to a Mormon university.

A reputation for being retarded?

What is inappropriate about her dress?

Not enough's inappropriate by my standard.

But that's why I've never been near BYU.  Shouldn't get butthurt and become internet famous just because Mormons are acting like Mormons.  If you don't expect to constantly exude chastity, which will probably include missing out some fairly benign fashion trends, go to a state school.

Sure, the note-giver was a tool by our standards, but I don't understand how people can claim offense when the foreseeable occurs.

Then again it could also just be IRL trollin', from either side, but we'll never know.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Enter Olive Penderghast.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll try to get some pics of the girls playing volleyball next to Southwest Rec next time I'm on campus.

Thong Thursday for the win!

Don't fuck with me. They're doing that now?

They have been for as long as I can remember.

Sooner or later it's going to cause a major traffic crash.

You've got the girls playing volleyball in bikinis, girls jogging in sports bras and girls walking to the gym in yoga pants.

It's terrible, terrible I say!

They used to block the one street at ECU from traffic in the spring due to too much rubber necking and traffic accidents on the first days  it was warm enough for all tbe girls to lay out in tbe sun. Horndogs would come from miles around for the view

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]
She ran into a "Fundamentalist" from the local prevalent controlling religious group of the area. Yes boys and girls it starts with a M, and ends with a N. My 15 YO son was told by one of these nice helpful people, that  he was a Satan worshiper who was doomed for a life in hell. All because he had a girlfriend, and was planning a date with her!

Now it's time for the IBTMMLTTD......
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:01:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I'd assume that if she were in violation of it she would have been spoken to by someone from the University, no?

We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men. . . . If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things (Thirteenth Article of Faith).

As a matter of personal commitment, faculty, administration, staff, and students of Brigham Young University, Brigham Young University—Hawaii, Brigham Young University—Idaho, and LDS Business College seek to demonstrate in daily living on and off campus those moral virtues encompassed in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and will

Be honest

Use clean language

Respect others

Specific policies embodied in the Honor Code include (1) the Academic Honesty Policy, (2) the Dress and Grooming Standards, (3) the Residential Living Standards, and (4) the Continuing Student Ecclesiastical Endorsement. (Refer to institutional policies for more detailed information.)

http://saas.byu.edu/catalog/2011-2012ucat/GeneralInfo/HonorCode.php#HCOfficeInvovement

Violations of these standards may be reported to the Honor Code Office,
4440 WSC, (801) 422-2847, or the Off-Campus Housing Office, (801)
422-1513.

If it's an issue then the guy writing the note should have done this.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll try to get some pics of the girls playing volleyball next to Southwest Rec next time I'm on campus.

You've got the girls playing volleyball in bikinis, girls jogging in sports bras and girls walking to the gym in yoga pants.

Yeah I know about that. I'm talking about 'thong thursday.'
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think so too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Not my cup of tea but the school's got a reputation. If you don't want to deal with shit like that, don't go to a Mormon university.

This, but unfortunately most people here don't get the difference between voluntary, privately-enforced standards and repressive government regulations.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

This isn't an "honor code" thing, this is a "I'm so sexually repressed I'm probably going to commit suicide after raping a 3 year old" thing.

couldn't have put it better myself

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:03:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck if I know. But her whining about this in public is disreputable.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my cup of tea but the school's got a reputation. If you don't want to deal with shit like that, don't go to a Mormon university.

A reputation for being retarded?

What is inappropriate about her dress?

How do you know that's the dress she was wearing?  Do you think that's the only dress she owns?

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yep.  The word going around is that the story is fake as hell.  There is nothing wrong with her dress according to the Conduct Code.  Many women wear more "provocative" dress than that, and it isn't an issue.  I say attention whore.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Is the picture in the article the attire she was wearing when she got the note?

If so, then I agree. But the article doesn't say, or if it did I missed that part.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wouldn't be the first time.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to go out on a limb here but I'm guessing that that pic of her is not what she usually wears.

We need one of those frog memes.

Signs up for religious school with 18th century dress code.

Complains about dress code.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

She ran into a "Fundamentalist" from the local prevalent controlling religious group of the area. Yes boys and girls it starts with a M, and ends with a N. My 15 YO son was told by one of these nice helpful people, that he was a Satan worshiper who was doomed for a life in hell. All because he had a girlfriend, and was planning a date with her!

Aaaaand I can safely say that you're either leaving out key details, or you're full of crap.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At least his spelling and grammar was better then 90% of GD.

Yet, he has still to advance to cursive.

A lot of kids today cannot read or write in cursive.

One would, however, expect better from a university student.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This, but unfortunately most people here don't get the difference between voluntary, privately-enforced standards and repressive government regulations.

The University can enforce whatever rules they want. I just think the guy is creepy as hell.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I know about that. I'm talking about 'thong thursday.'

Oh, yeah.

It's fucking hilarious too, you see guys casually coming out to play volleyball in jeans and sweatshirts, just hoping like hell the bikini crew shows up.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are 100% percent correct. Assuming that the outfit in the photo was the one she was wearing, she did not violate the code at all. Everything was well covered and I vote that she wear nothing under the dress rather than those leggings things.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
She ran into a "Fundamentalist" from the local prevalent controlling religious group of the area. Yes boys and girls it starts with a M, and ends with a N. My 15 YO son was told by one of these nice helpful people, that he was a Satan worshiper who was doomed for a life in hell. All because he had a girlfriend, and was planning a date with her!

Aaaaand I can safely say that you're either leaving out key details, or you're full of crap.

I have a hard time believing his story, too. Mormons rarely talk about hell.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cursive is a great way to give your reader a headache while you're trying to look fancy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Is the picture in the article the attire she was wearing when she got the note?

If so, then I agree. But the article doesn't say, or if it did I missed that part.

Even if it wasn't, the guy ran off like a pansy.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a hard time believing his story, too. Mormons rarely talk about hell.

Okay, I raffed.

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#30]
peter puffer
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is the deal...

The fact that he handed her the note... Anonymously... Shows poor class.

I am LDS. Proud to be. I didn't go to BYU... I went to a state school and met a great LDS girl, ,married her, got a good degree, and have made something of myself in life...

As for a young man approaching a young woman in that manner... If it had been my girl... He would have made the right choice by turning and leaving the X as fast as he could...

I have a personal policy... If someone wants to talk to me one-on-one... I will listen, and talk with them what they want to talk about... If someone tries to hide behind anonymity... I don't give five craps what they have to say. I ignore it, and throw it away...

I had  a letter that was put in my box back when I was a school teacher. No name on the outside of the envelope. The first sentence is, "You might not be aware that you have..." No name at the end.... Shredded it.

Could have been a positive letter. Could have been a negative letter.. I don't care.  No name... Got shredded.

I will hear anything anyone has to say, if they are willing to say it to my face...

And in this particular case, you have a young woman who was initially flattered, and a douchebag guy being a douchebag guy... As for the "Honor Code" at BYU... And this young man cajolling a young woman... Let me be clear...I honestly *doubt* that she was honestly violating the honor-code in the middle of BYU campus inbetween classes... I highly doubt that...

And also... I am appalled at the line of thinking that only girls need to be concerned about modesty... And I am disgusted when I hear leaders at church tell young women to be mindful of what they wear because they need to think about the kind of message that they are sending boys... They make it sound like men are weak pigs and all we need is to see a young woman with her shorts an inch above her knee and you better have a gun or a cop on your back... 'Cause that girl deserves to be raped.... When I was preparing for my mission, a naked Shania Twain couldn't have talked me out of deciding to serve the Lord. On my mission, for the first time in my life, women put it right there in front of me. I departed the X post-haste... When I got married, I made a promise to my girl, and God that she would by the only one... I have kept that promise... It honestly isn't a hard promise to keep because I am ugly and also because I keep my promises... I can meet other women, and not worry that if they wear shorts above the knee that I am instantly going to throw my marraige out the door...

Yeah, BYU has an honor code. I have been an honorable member of the LDS Church my entire life, and I violated the BYU honor code... I was visiting some girls who were friends from HS, and after the four-hour drive up from SUU, I used their restroom. One of their roommates freaked-out, and started banging on the door... Guys are not supposed to use girl-apartment restrooms at BYU... So here you have a confessed BYU Honor Code violator...

But I *highly* doubt this young woman was flagrantly violating the honor code in the middle of campus inbetween classes... And the thought-process behind telling her to be mindful of the message she is sending boys is telling... What is she supposed to do when she goes swimming? Even the most modest swimming suits show quite a bit of leg... What is she supposed to do when she runs a marathon in July? Even modest running shorts show quite a bit of leg...

Men need to be men, and men should be gentlemen... And the pressure beingsoley  on girls because men just don't seem to have the self control is retarded... I tell my daughters to be mindful of what they wear, because modesty is an attitude... Modesty is important... And it is the attitude that they project... BYU's swim team BYU's track team... The girls on those teams don't wear very many clothes when they do what they do... On campus nonetheless... Modesty isn't about what you are wearing... The BYU girl athletes I knew were confident, powerful, and "modest" in their attitude... even when competing meant that they were wearing the prescibed BYU uniform...

But the whole pervasive attitude that guys have absolutely *zero* self control, and all the pressure of "modesty" should be on young women is telling... And it is wrong and retarded...

And... the guy in this particular case is a douche... If he was in a wholly-propper place in giving advice, he would not need to hide behind the weakness of anonymity...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I would of added PS: if you'd like help getting out of that dress I will offer my services.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The need for cursive died decades ago...with quills and bottles of ink.

It is an anachronism perpetrated on the masses of students because education is locked in a paradigm of failure.

Only dinosaurs doomed to failure maintain the need for it...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#34]
My guess, based on the obviously-female handwriting, is that she's an attention whore and the whole thing is a fake.  I suspect she didn't anticipate having her giant chin plastered all over the news.  

Unfortunately, the idea of such a thing happening at BYU is not extraordinary.  OTOH, at a church school (any church), you agree to play by the rules and take the good with the bad.

(BYU grad, B.S./M.S. 2006)
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck. Cursive.

Figures a doctor would want to write in that rubbish.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's ironic that you used the wrong word(it should be than).
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:26:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cursive is a great way to give your reader a headache while you're trying to look fancy.

Not if you do it right!  It also is faster and clearer if you do it right!  Yay cursive!
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet that he wrote that note ahead of time and was just looking for someone to hand it to - like a good little self-righteous hall monitor.

Dave has to do something now that he no longer has ARFCOM.

Except that I doubt he cared much for Mormons.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#39]
a Santorum fan.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yup, and she's not violating it, either.
The guy is wrong and he doesn't speak for BYU.  She's doing nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#41]
From the Brigham Young University Dress Code for men...
Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable.

Pic of Brigham Young...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's still going on?!?! Fifteen years ago we thought the smackdown was coming any minute. It's tough to concentrate when the girl playing on the front line has ass cheeks hanging out....

Wait, wut!?!?  You weren't kidding?
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Be honest
Use clean language
Respect others

So he did it for a merit badge since he signed the code? Frankly, I have seen women dress provacatively and she simply is NOT in that category. I guess she could have gone to Oral Roberts or Liberty University since they allow skirts to be two inches above the knee/business casual dress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's still going on?!?! Fifteen years ago we thought the smackdown was coming any minute. It's tough to concentrate when the girl playing on the front line has ass cheeks hanging out....

Wait, wut!?!?  You weren't kidding?

Fuck no he wasn't kidding.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#45]

Did they teach you to use dots in between every sentence at that state school? Serious question.

Quoted:
Here is the deal...

I am LDS. Proud to be. I didn't go to BYU... I went to a state school and met a great LDS girl, ,married her, got a good degree, and have made something of myself in life...

As for a young man approaching a young woman in that manner... If it had been my girl... He would have made the right choice by turning and leaving the X as fast as he could...

I have a personal policy... If someone wants to talk to me one-on-one... I will listen, and talk with them what they want to talk about... If someone tries to hide behind anonymity... I don't give five craps what they have to say. I ignore it, and throw it away...

I had  a letter that was put in my box back when I was a school teacher. No name on the outside of the envelope. The first sentence is, "You might not be aware that you have..." No name at the end.... Shredded it.

Could have been a positive letter. Could have been a negative letter.. I don't care.  No name... Got shredded.

I will hear anything anyone has to say, if they are willing to say it to my face...

And in this particular case, you have a young woman who was initially flattered, and a douchebag guy being a douchebag guy... As for the "Honor Code" at BYU... And this young man cajolling a young woman... Let me be clear...I honestly *doubt* that she was honestly violating the honor-code in the middle of BYU campus inbetween classes... I highly doubt that...

And also... I am appalled at the line of thinking that only girls need to be concerned about modesty... And I am disgusted when I hear leaders at church tell young women to be mindful of what they wear because they need to think about the kind of message that they are sending boys... They make it sound like men are weak pigs and all we need is to see a young woman with her shorts an inch above her knee and you better have a gun or a cop on your back... 'Cause that girl deserves to be raped.... When I was preparing for my mission, a naked Shania Twain couldn't have talked me out of deciding to serve the Lord. On my mission, for the first time in my life, women put it right there in front of me. I departed the X post-haste... When I got married, I made a promise to my girl, and God that she would by the only one... I have kept that promise... It honestly isn't a hard promise to keep because I am ugly and also because I keep my promises... I can meet other women, and not worry that if they wear shorts above the knee that I am instantly going to throw my marraige out the door...

Yeah, BYU has an honor code. I have been an honorable member of the LDS Church my entire life, and I violated the BYU honor code... I was visiting some girls who were friends from HS, and after the four-hour drive up from SUU, I used their restroom. One of their roommates freaked-out, and started banging on the door... Guys are not supposed to use girl-apartment restrooms at BYU... So here you have a confessed BYU Honor Code violator...

But I *highly* doubt this young woman was flagrantly violating the honor code in the middle of campus inbetween classes... And the thought-process behind telling her to be mindful of the message she is sending boys is telling... What is she supposed to do when she goes swimming? Even the most modest swimming suits show quite a bit of leg... What is she supposed to do when she runs a marathon in July? Even modest running shorts show quite a bit of leg...

Men need to be men, and men should be gentlemen... And the pressure beingsoley  on girls because men just don't seem to have the self control is retarded... I tell my daughters to be mindful of what they wear, because modesty is an attitude... Modesty is important... And it is the attitude that they project... BYU's swim team BYU's track team... The girls on those teams don't wear very many clothes when they do what they do... On campus nonetheless... Modesty isn't about what you are wearing... The BYU girl athletes I knew were confident, powerful, and "modest" in their attitude... even when competing meant that they were wearing the prescibed BYU uniform...

But the whole pervasive attitude that guys have absolutely *zero* self control, and all the pressure of "modesty" should be on young women is telling... And it is wrong and retarded...

And... the guy in this particular case is a douche... If he was in a wholly-propper place in giving advice, he would not need to hide behind the weakness of anonymity...

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously? He passed a note like a little girl then ran away like a bitch.  What is there to applaud about this?  If he has strong convictions he should be prepared to stand and back them up.  He's disturbed, deeply.

I have to agree.  Nothing admirable in what he did, even if she was dressed like hooker.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:57:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Here is the deal...

Thank YOU!!

And...You didn't violate the BYU "honor code" because you were not a student and you didn't sign it. I have known a number of LDS members and you are a good example of what I have experienced. If this girl was treated this way, the guy is immature or just nutty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Meh.

So supposedly some guy passed a note to the girl suggesting that her outfit wasn't cool with the honor code.  All indications are that he was just speaking for himself and not for the university.

If she was on campus then there would have been a hoste of employees who could have said something to her if it was actually needed.

In summary, assuming the story is true the guy was being overzealous and much ado was made over nothing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Many people could probably learn something from that letter. A lot of women don't consider such things, and do dress rather inappropriately and it is a distraction to men. At a religious university, finding people who don't want to see that shouldn't be a surprise.

That said, I seen the pictures and I really don't see what the problem is with her dress.

I would have thought there would have more people dressed far worse on even most religious colleges.

I would have to side with her as least from that photo.

I do wonder if he had it already written looking for someone to give it too like DKProf suggested.

Also possible he had it pre written for her based on other day's behavior where she may have been dressed worse.

I know I will probably get attacked for my comments, yes she has the right to dress however she wants but he also has the right to address concerns especially in that atmosphere. Maybe he is a douche for it.

I guess my main point is that some people do dress inappropriately, but I don't think she was in that photo.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top