Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always thought that a good first step might be putting the suppressor category in with AOW's-- only a $5.00 tax and still no permission needed to go interstate.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I say we go all out and them compromise back.

Propose to totally unrestrict them and, then if forced, compromise back to less restrictions.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I say we go all out and them compromise back.

Propose to totally unrestrict them and, then if forced, compromise back to less restrictions.

CRC

Another thought-- use their words against them.

"What about the children..?  DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT THEIR AUDITORY HEALTH??!"

Might work wonders.  

Mike
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
2. Change the law so that the certified law enforcement officer (essentially the local police chief) is merely notified of the transfer, rather than forcing the purchaser to seek their approval. Currently, the local police chief may deny the purchaser the receipt of the suppressor without any reason.

The law doesn't say you have to get a signoff, the BATF(E) made that shit up.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
While I'm all for wanting suppressors less restricted, I would rather push for the 89 import ban being repealed. I may be stupid, but I'd rather have a semi FNC than a suppressor. Then again this is ARFCOM, so we need to work for both.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#6]

I think they're easier to get in France then in the USA. that's just sad.

They have to have them in France. They get too many mass surrenderings every time an unsuppressed gun is fired.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Was the tax stamp always $200, since the 34 NFA?
Or has it risen?
$200 isn't a lot (?) today, but in the 30's it was a hell of a lot of money.
Is that an oversight, and they should have raised it to match inflation?

If true, according to this NASA inflation site, 1934 $200 would cost $2746 today.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
why do the police need to even be notified? just put them on a 4473
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#10]
With most of the attitudes here, slim and none.

Let's stop for a minute and look at homosexual rights in America.......How far have they come in the last 10 years. Homosexuals are what 6% of the population? 10% tops? Unmarried, homosexual couples can get medical benifits for their non-working partner in the relationship at several major corporations here locally. NON-MARRIED......that cost everybody more money.

Me having the right to get a suppressor does not cost anybody but me more money.

Gun owners in this country could get every single gun law repealed IF they would just make a little more noise.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'm not saying it'd be easy or a quick process, I'm just saying together there is nothing we cannot accomplish.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
In some European countries you are required to shoot with a suppressor to keep from making a lot of noise.

CRC

That would be the angle to follow... "why aren't we following Europe's lead?"

(seriously, would like to see Kerry & the DU brigade squirm answering THAT one)

One of the very few advantages we have here in Europe...
Buying a suppressor here in Norway, is like buying ammo.

The bad thing, is that the US State dept. won't allow us to buy US made suppressors.

We can have them here in the UK too, very easy to get these day's. You still need the authority to purchase though. And that's easy to obtain, ever since the European Noise at Work regulations were implemented

Mark
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
a form 04 has been $200 since 1934.

the $200 equalled the approximate $200 cost of a thompson in 1934...efectively it doubled the cost of owning a machinegun in 1934 dollars.

that's not the issue today, as that same thompson now trades at $$8,000-$10,000...far outstripping inflation.

I thought Thompson's were considerably higher?  Maybe there's still hope for me. Is that an M1 price?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
6% ? 10% Gay?

that figure must be way, high. must have come from a CNN poll.

ok, 1 out of ten people you know is gay.

I know at least ~1000 people across the USA, and only 1 or 2 of those "might" even be gay in secret.

Sure some aeras might be high, like SF, but the other areas with close to zero cancle that out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:31:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The problem is who makes a supressor for a .270 Winchester rifle?

CRC

If you build it, they will come.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The problem is who makes a supressor for a .270 Winchester rifle?

CRC

AWC.  And they kick absolute ass.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#16]
So any other ideas?

CRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Best option is to get suppressors moved from NFA Class III to AOW status. Same checks, same procedures but with a 5 dollar transfer fee.

I feel this has the best chance being passed.  That being said,  we should be able to buy them unregulated.  Hell, if any criminal off the street can make a suppressor in 2 minutes with common materials from a supermarket,  how is regulation making any difference?

I think an arfcom fire mission would be a good place to start. I suggest we all start calling and emailing Larry Craig from Idaho, if each of us sent him 20 bucks and promised him a hundred if he gets it passed he'd notice us I bet.

Even calling repeatedly would get it on the radar.  It's criminal how many of us have lost hearing because some asshat is afraid we'll use them for nefarious purposes.

asshats. now I'm all mad again......
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#18]
We'll need the help of NRA and GOA too.

This is an issue even casual shooters can support.

Like it's been posted European laws basically say to shoot with a suppressor.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Best option is to get suppressors moved from NFA Class III to AOW status. Same checks, same procedures but with a 5 dollar transfer fee.

I feel this has the best chance being passed.  That being said,  we should be able to buy them unregulated.  Hell, if any criminal off the street can make a suppressor in 2 minutes with common materials from a supermarket,  how is regulation making any difference?

Quick factoid check:  DEALERS are Class III, not items.  Items are "Title I" (regular guns) or "Title II" (mg, sbr, sbs, silencer, aow, dd).  What we have the best chance of doing is lowering the tax on a silencer to $5, but I still say we should go for the jugular -- we are constantly on the defensive; why can't WE start pushing THEM upfield a little ways?

Anyway Gem-Tech is in Idaho as well so you'd think he and Larry Craig could hook up...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#20]
hard
will never happen in a million yrs
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
hard

THINK POSITIVELY!!

After years .. near a century .. on defense, we finally have the ball, it's time to push them back a  few yards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Well it should be brought up to  a vote at the least.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
hard

I tend to agree.

Has a fed gun law ever been repealed?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Some were by FOPA 1986.

And were  not talking about repealing a law, merely changing it.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:57:39 PM EDT
[#25]
OK, lets do this what do we need to do today?

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Find out what your congress critters think.

Elections are coming up and we need to elect a gun friendly congress.

CRC
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top