Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The best place to shoot is on your own property, and in my case, the old family farm.  The state ranges are nice, but they no longer allow full-auto, so I built my own.

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/1919/range1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/1919/range2.jpg[/img]

I still have more work to do.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The propane tank in particular is VERY amusing...from a good distance, that is!

And is that a computer on the right?

Nice little homebrewed range!

I settled for a bale of hay (round type) in front of three layers of 2x6's on the family farm property.  The bale by itself almost completely stops .223 and all handgun calibers, and what it doesn't stop never gets through the first 2x6.

You should hang ping-pong balls from your hanging targets stand...ping-pong balls filled with Pyrodex, that is!  HUGE fun!  Wear good ear protection!

CJ

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
The best place I have ever gone shooting was at a national forest range just outside of Blacksburg, VA.

It was pretty popular on weekends.  Everyone always seemed to be pretty safe except for one occasion... and the idiot only put himself in danger.  He walked down range about 30 yards to set up targets while the range was hot... hes fucking lucky he didn't get shot.

The only regulated range I have been to was the most boring shooting experience of my life.  Nice facility though.  I'm hoping to join one of the clubs in the area so I can use thier facilities... just need to meet a sponsor.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Yup, that's a computer case.  I get 20 to 30 a year as trade-ins where I work.  After all usable parts come out, they get shot up.

Our area has been over run with houses.  We still shoot at the old farm.  We have 60 acres there.  It is enough ground, but I wanted a very safe backstop.  The same day we shot last, an incident occured a 1/4 mile away.  Someone put a round through a house.  It was interesting because we were paid a visit by the Sheriff.  They wanted to verify that our backstop was safe.  It turns out one of the neighbors (who I don't know), was shooting cans off a saw horse and put one round into a house.  So next weekend, the range gets a bigger backstop.  One good thing for us, there are no houses for about a mile beyond the backstop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:09:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Actually I have, and I've still got a piece of metal in my right eye from either a bullet or a quarter to prove it. No permanent damage, just a souvineir..
View Quote

Go get one your speakers out of your car, hold it up to your eye, and say...ABBRACAADABRA...[:D]

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I ever get killed at the range everyone at ar15.com has my permission and encouragement to laugh their ass off.

When I make the news you can tell all of your friends, "Hey, I knew that dumbass from ar15.com!"

View Quote

Sadly, chances are greater that someone ELSE will get shot by one of those "unloaded" firearms that were being wiped down or otherwise handled while the victim is down range.  

Why? Because other than you, there is a general sense that people want to respect the ability of others to be downrange without having to gamble on the infallibility of a total stranger.

So they are willing to wait a few minutes to wipe down their rifle or tinker with it, out of respect and concern for the safety AND comfort of the others.  Evidently it's difficult, maybe a major problem, for you to put yourself in the place of others and return the favor.

To take your argument a little farther, in your world you could go downrange while the rest of us practice dry firing in your direction with our "unloaded" rifles.  Or hey, maybe we could shoot blanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I ever get killed at the range everyone at ar15.com has my permission and encouragement to laugh their ass off.

When I make the news you can tell all of your friends, "Hey, I knew that dumbass from ar15.com!"

View Quote

Sadly, chances are greater that someone ELSE will get shot by one of those "unloaded" firearms that were being wiped down or otherwise handled while the victim is down range.  
View Quote

If you believe that then stay at your "safe" range. Where you have a zero chance of getting injured.

Why? Because other than you, there is a general sense that people want to respect the ability of others to be downrange without having to gamble on the infallibility of a total stranger.
View Quote

Stay at your "safe" range, where you know everyone on the firing line intimately and you don't have to worry about being injured either while you are shooting or putting up your targets.

So they are willing to wait a few minutes to wipe down their rifle or tinker with it, out of respect and concern for the safety AND comfort of the others.
View Quote

Where did I say that I wasn't willing to wait? I just said that I feel it is fucking stupid, and if I have the choice I'll go somewhere that I can touch my gun while other people are fucking off.

Evidently it's difficult, maybe a major problem, for you to put yourself in the place of others and return the favor.
View Quote

Evidently it's hard for you to read because I'm not asking you for a favor. Go ahead and play with your gun, because I don't care. I don't agree with the rule. Don't point it at me, because I wouldn't point it at you, but I don't care if you touch the damn thing.

View Quote

To take your argument a little farther, in your world you could go downrange while the rest of us practice dry firing in your direction with our "unloaded" rifles.  Or hey, maybe we could shoot blanks.
View Quote

Now you're getting fucking stupid. Let's make up stuff to put in other peoples mouth to make your arguement sound a little better. What a great idea!

Well, to take your agruement a little farther, you would be completely incased in a bullet resistant box at every range you shot at. Nobody that you didn't know intimately would be allowed to touch their guns at any time you were on the firing line, and everyone would shoot one at a time with only the shooter allowed to have live ammunition.

[b]I've already admitted that highly regulated ranges with RO's are safer, what else is there to argue about? Why are you even posting? If you want to call me a careless jackass then just come right out and say it instead of beating around the bush. Let's get to the meat of the arguement if that's what you want. I'm a big boy, I can take it.[/b]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 3:03:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I try to get a bench at the left end anywhere I go. Seems like most people turn there guns to the right to mess with them. Also it keeps the brass off of you. And you only got to worry about people on one side of you and not two. With a any luck if theres an Ad it will catch someone else in the row before it makes it to the end.

View Quote

Unless the guy next to you is left handed, then he'll likely turn the other way. I usually take the slot on the far right, because I'm usually the one slinging brass and I don't want to be pelting everyone else all day.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 4:16:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

If you believe that then stay at your "safe" range. Where you have a zero chance of getting injured.

View Quote

Stay at your "safe" range, where you know everyone on the firing line intimately and you don't have to worry about being injured either while you are shooting or putting up your targets.

So they are willing to wait a few minutes to wipe down their rifle or tinker with it, out of respect and concern for the safety AND comfort of the others.
View Quote

Where did I say that I wasn't willing to wait? I just said that I feel it is fucking stupid, and if I have the choice I'll go somewhere that I can touch my gun while other people are fucking off.

Evidently it's difficult, maybe a major problem, for you to put yourself in the place of others and return the favor.
View Quote

Evidently it's hard for you to read because I'm not asking you for a favor. Go ahead and play with your gun, because I don't care. I don't agree with the rule. Don't point it at me, because I wouldn't point it at you, but I don't care if you touch the damn thing.

View Quote

View Quote

Now you're getting fucking stupid. Let's make up stuff to put in other peoples mouth to make your arguement sound a little better. What a great idea!

Well, to take your agruement a little farther, you would be completely incased in a bullet resistant box at every range you shot at. Nobody that you didn't know intimately would be allowed to touch their guns at any time you were on the firing line, and everyone would shoot one at a time with only the shooter allowed to have live ammunition.

[b]I've already admitted that highly regulated ranges with RO's are safer, what else is there to argue about? Why are you even posting? If you want to call me a careless jackass then just come right out and say it instead of beating around the bush. Let's get to the meat of the arguement if that's what you want. I'm a big boy, I can take it.[/b]
View Quote

ok, i'll bite, I think what you propose is being a careless jackass!   [:d]

what's wrong with following the basic safety rules of firearms again?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top