BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could see a chunk of that being down to driving more or driving shittier vehicles, but there's gotta be some simple dipshittery in there too.
View Quote

It's per 100 million miles driven so it's attempting to take into account amount driven as well.

It's interesting that high school dropouts' fatality rates have actually increased in the past 15 years while all other groups have decreased.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that as "4.3 times more likely to die in a car wash."

I even thought, "no, I must have misread that, it must have said 'crash.'"

But I re-read it, and kept seeing wash.

I was like, "who dies in a car wash?"
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
While the chart purports to show education level I'm sure it is more a depiction of age/maturity level.

View Quote

That was my first thought, but the chart doesn't include data of people 24 and younger.

I first figured all people who died in wrecks and 16 and 17 while still in high school would count among the uneducated numbers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why I stayed in school.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is the term "inequality" used here?

Same roads, same opportunities given by those roads.

How they are used is what causes the problem.

I bet the "not wearing a seat belt deaths" numbers look exactly the same.
View Quote

Because a government funded college education is a fundamental human right?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Poor bastards drowned.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
So...uneducated folks are more likely to perish in a process that rewards thinking ahead, anticipating possible issues (and formulating plans of action), and making decisions based on possible long term repercussions (rather than succumbing to the fleeting stimuli of ego, peer pressure, excitement, or self gratification)?

Weird.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I teach in a working class/poor district.  I see so many people pull out of the lot with their toddler sitting on grandma's lap in the front seat and/or kids standing up in the back; no seat belts in use

I'm sure they don't think they need them because they are only driving a block or two home but sometimes it's hard not to say something.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you even know how to party, bro?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Skewed by geography, I bet. Rural areas tend to have lower education than urban centers, higher educated urbanites working downtown more likely to be using public transit (which still counts according to the story). If they are commuting, any accidents they are involved in will be occurring at lower speed due to traffic congestion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#11]
lol.

Statistics Show White Supremacy is a Bigger Threat to the U.S. Than Radical Muslims

This could have been prevented by a women's studies degree.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I teach in a working class/poor district.  I see so many people pull out of the lot with their toddler sitting on grandma's lap in the front seat and/or kids standing up in the back; no seat belts in use

I'm sure they don't think they need them because they are only driving a block or two home but sometimes it's hard not to say something.
View Quote
In Utah, we call this the Mormon Airbag.

It would be interesting to see if they could break out the statistics further with regards to seat belt usage compared with education level and the reported death rate.

Also, why are the confidence intervals so wide in the highest rates, but the CI are very, very narrow in the lower rates? What does this say about these numbers?

(Statistics was a long time ago.)
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

many explanations:

The Stupid and lazy make less money so they own crappier cars

The Stupid and lazy often dont know/understand rules of the road

The stupid and lazy have less to lose so they often make poor driving choices.

Also and this is just age realted and I am not sure they adjusted for that at all: thew younger you are the less likely you are to have higher education

Soooo the less liekly u are not have a new car with late safety fearures, the more risky behavior, the more night driving, the more socal driving  etc etc

So between the socioeconomic and the age angle this is easily explained....
View Quote
Your spelling and punctuation incline me to recommend that you always wear your seat belt, and come to a full stop at stop lights and signs, as well as use your signal when changing lanes.

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your spelling and punctuation incline me to recommend that you always wear your seat belt, and come to a full stop at stop lights and signs, as well as use your signal when changing lanes.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

many explanations:

The Stupid and lazy make less money so they own crappier cars
The Stupid and lazy often dont know/understand rules of the road
The stupid and lazy have less to lose so they often make poor driving choices.

Also and this is just age realted and I am not sure they adjusted for that at all: thew younger you are the less likely you are to have higher education
Soooo the less liekly u are not have a new car with late safety fearures, the more risky behavior, the more night driving, the more socal driving  etc etc

So between the socioeconomic and the age angle this is easily explained....

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
education is free in this country, their fault for being stupid
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Idiots don't get educated, and idiots also crash cars.  I fail to see a correlation between a lack of education and crashing cars.  I believe the problem is simply:  idiots.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]
An Australian study mapped IQ to auto accidents.  IQ maps to auto accidents.  But there is NO WAY such a metric could be instituted to save smart people money on their premiums.  Just no way.  That would be like having the successful pay lower taxes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
An Australian study mapped IQ to auto accidents.  IQ maps to auto accidents.  But there is NO WAY such a metric could be instituted to save smart people money on their premiums.  Just no way.  That would be like having the successful pay lower taxes.
View Quote

They should also overlay a data set of people who have a criminal record. I would wager that would fall inline too, since a lot of criminals have under developed frontal cortexes which give them inability to control compulsivity. Which a compulsive driver is a dangerous driver.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Smart people do pay lower premiums. They have better driving records.  They get better rates.

A corollary to that is that if you have a poor driving record, well, you're stupid.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Poor bastards drowned.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Poor bastards drowned.

Lol

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone surprised by this statistic has never worked a traffic assignment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I've seen more dumbasses drive BMW's and most if you say uneducated people don't drive BMW's. There is a difference between education and common sense.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've seen more dumbasses drive BMW's and most if you say uneducated people don't drive BMW's. There is a difference between education and common sense.
View Quote

BMW drivers are the exception that makes the rule.  They are all shitstains.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top