BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I used to be a newsgroup leech extraordinaire and never really approached that kind of useage.

I can easily surpass 400 or even 500GB a month from leeching off Usenet....

Btw, my ISP have a 50GB cap for 50 Mbps service. However, it doesn't apply to my account.  Sucks for others who are using it tho.  

Broadband caps are getting out of control in my opinion and it will have nothing but a negative impact on innovation.  Cloud computing, streaming media, downloadable content, games from digital distribution sources are all some of the things we have seen since broadband has gotten better at home.  Bottom line, broadband providers are just flat out greedy...
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm apparently the cox bandwidth meter is only available in some markets. I'm In Tucson and it wasn't in my account.

Here is a link on where to find it: Click
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#3]
So I got an e-mail from cox this morning saying that they have implemented a new tool that shows you how much data you have used for the month. It said since I'm on the preferred package, I have 200GB a month, which is exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
That is 1.1 TB of data in 3 months! And I do not have a virus as I know where it all is going and coming from.

Aug 460GB
Sep 225GB
Oct 400GB

I got an email that stated:
You are currently subscribed to the Preferred Package which has a monthly data usage amount of 200 Gigabytes (GB)...The vast majority of our customers do not exceed their usage amount in a month and Cox does not charge you an additional fee if you exceed it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I really wish I had an option other than Cox down here, without exorbitant cost, and significantly slower speeds.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hmm apparently the cox bandwidth meter is only available in some markets. I'm In Tucson and it wasn't in my account.

Me too - Cox sent me a mail two days back mentioning the meter, but following their link revealed no meter.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA - Do you game online?

Other than the initial download/install, gaming really doesn't use much bandwidth.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Apparently in April and May I used 700GB combined. Most months though, I am between 100-150GB.

This is pretty gay and reminds me of how it is for Australians. The difference is you don't get nearly as much monthly bandwidth for the same price there and if you exceed your limit they cut you down to "dial up" speeds until the end of the month.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#9]
50GB seems exceptionally low.

I normally do 60-70 GB easy a month and can often go well over 100 GB- if you play PC games, use Steam, or watch TV, you can hit that pretty easily... let's say you buy two new games, maybe you uninstall then reinstall another... download the first volume of some obscure tv show that just got subbed... it adds up quick.

I realize 50GB is still easily acceptable for average users, but that just doesn't seem like a very big cushion.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The vast majority of our customers do not exceed their usage amount in a month and Cox does not charge you an additional fee if you exceed it.

Probably because they don't have the accounting and billing infrastructure to do so - yet.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Comcast Business Class - no cap FTMFW!

It's well worth the extra few bucks a month to do it right.

Static IP block, no limits, 24/12.

Pay to play.  

Sorry for all who have to deal with caps, that sucks it hard.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Comcast Business Class - no cap FTMFW!

It's well worth the extra few bucks a month to do it right.

Static IP block, no limits, 24/12.

Pay to play.  

Sorry for all who have to deal with caps, that sucks it hard.  

Comcast dumped a buddy of mine because he routinely exceeded 200GB a month. They never gave him the option of upgrading to a business class account.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I pay Cox 150.00 per month for cable, phone and 2nd level internet access.  If they bitch at me about bandwidth they can get fucked.  I don't even have any pay movie channels.  I will drop them like a hot rock and switch to Dish and breakdown and finally get a cell phone instead.  I can save 50.00 per month by doing it.  The only reason I stay with them is for the internet access which is the best in my area.  DSL doesn't even come close and is my only option other than Cox.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, you have to go to https://myaccount.cox.net.

Cox.net gives an error. Took me a second to figure out why I couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm stuck at 10 gigs a month on Verizon wireless.

Fuckers. Living in the sticks can suck.

Got a friend in town?  Maybe you can run your own wireless link.. 20km is not hard to do if the terrain is right.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I got that email too a couple days ago. It looks like they are making moves to provide some sort of disincentive to high data usage but currently have no penalty for going over the "cap." I just got off the phone with a CS rep that confirmed that there will be no reduction in connection speed or extra charges. I asked her to note that when Cox changes that policy I will go to another ISP immediately.

For the record, I am right on the edge of my 50 gig limit with Pandora streaming for about 8 hours every day, moderate BF3 multiplayer, and Netflix for a couple hours every night. The amount is pretty reasonable, I just don't want to be limited at all. I'm also sick of the disruption in service about 3-4 times a day (that I notice). Have to power cycle the modem every time. Dumb.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got an email saying I only can use 50GB a month. No idea when this started.
Anyone else have their ISP limit their data usage? I'm pretty pissed right now. It said nothing about this when I signed up.
I live in the middle of PHX btw.

I can easily burn through 50GB with Netflix and surfing.

50GB does not sound like "netflix and surfing" useage to me.

I used to be a newsgroup leech extraordinaire and never really approached that kind of useage.

ETA - Do you game online?

A little bit of PS3, maybe an hour or so a week. I probably watch 15 hours of netflix a week though. Also Pandora

sounds like maybe your machine is probably pwned and probably serving pr0n w/o you knowing it.

This can eat up a lot of data if you have it running ALL the time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#18]
the ISP's take advantage of the fact that the vast majority of subscribers only use small amounts of bandwidth a month.  checking email, general browsing, etc..  is anyone complaining that those customers are overpaying for the their usage?  of course not.  are the top 5% of users using too much or are the bottom 90% not using enough?

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Exactly, it is a money maker. Cox as an example is taking huge losses in their phone service, 2nd telephone lines are almost unheard of, Fees to other content providers are killing them, Redbox, netflix and Hulu, etc are killing their cable business as is Dish.

So what do they have left to make $$ on =  Data.

Except there are too many providers to put up with this shit. They got accustomed to a near monopoly in the 80's and 90's and now that there is competition in the field, they're pissed they can't make the same profit margin they used to. Tough shit. Give me what I want super cheap and barely make a profit or I'll go somewhere with a smaller margin and tell you to eat shit and die.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I really wish I had an option other than Cox down here, without exorbitant cost, and significantly slower speeds.

Glad I don't..  they sound like dicks

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Technology is advancing to the point of speed becoming less relevant.  Yet we are being price rationed as if there is a shortage.  Prices should not be going up.

What alternatives do we have in Arizona?

Qwest/Century Link will probably be looking to attract new customers with the latest name change. I've heard that Dish and other satellite TV services offer internet connection. Wireless services are actually starting to get fast enough to look attractive, especially if you are on one of the few that doesn't cap data (Verizon, Sprint, & Cricket are the only ones I know of).
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Technology is advancing to the point of speed becoming less relevant.  Yet we are being price rationed as if there is a shortage.  Prices should not be going up.

Qwest/Century Link will probably be looking to attract new customers with the latest name change. I've heard that Dish and other satellite TV services offer internet connection. Wireless services are actually starting to get fast enough to look attractive, especially if you are on one of the few that doesn't cap data (Verizon, Sprint, & Cricket are the only ones I know of).

Dish is just reselling AT&T DSL, IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you get AT&T DSL directly from AT&T?
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:52:31 AM EDT
[#24]
We hammer the shit out of our connection here at work 24/7.  They never give us any trouble for it.  They charge us $2500 a month.  No caps, no throttling!

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you get AT&T DSL directly from AT&T?

Yes.  It sucks, in service and customer service.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like they are test piloting caps, and very low ones at that.

Call and complain, say you are looking to move to another ISP. They might not care, but it's worth a shot. Best case is they note that customers don't like the caps, and you get a month or two free.

I used 352GB last month, and generally are over 250GB/mo.

damn.  out of curiosity, what are you doing on your connection that uses that much data?

It ain't hard to do, I'm consistently well over 400GB/mo and sometimes as high as 600
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:08:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Got my notice also, along with the message that they are terminating the "free" server space for your personal websites etc.

Got to squeeze out some more profit.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Netflix will chew through bandwidth. I think it now amounts to 1/3 of all bandwidth use in the US.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top