Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think these programs are entertaining.

They do it because they know no one who was there is alive to tell them they're full of crap.
View Quote

Just like there is no one alive to tell you that you are full of crap.

Hell, none of us really know what happened there.

Everyone is condemning the program without having even seen it yet.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
... On now [b]Mountain States[/b] folks
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Figures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought the show was horribly inaccurate. They never once showed the basement.

[img]http://perso.wanadoo.fr/reddragon/Covers/P/PeeWee%20frtsmll.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The alamo has already fallen to teh enemy- again!!!  
The coverage had definitely changed in the last 10 years.
Now that mexicans are the majority in san antonio, it's now being given a different spin.

Now the fucking mexicans [b]protest[/b] during the celebration of the battle of the alamo!!!! Turns your stomach.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here is the official list of the Defenders at the Alamo, and their birthplaces, if known:
View Quote

You forgot [url=http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/smithjohnwilliam.htm]John W Smith[/url]

[i]...he completed a daring ride through enemy lines over 200 miles in less than 57 hours carrying Travis' last dispatch and the last words of the men of the Alamo who died fighting for their beliefs.[/i]

He was the last messenger from the Alamo, who carried the famous "Victory or Death" message.  And he was my 4th great grandfather.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't the Mexicans overfly the Alamo in a hot air balloon sold to them by the French and drop a refried atomic bomb they called "Hombre Gordo" on it? [;D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:38:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The impression I got from the History Channel special was that Bowie was a scoundrel. Travis was said to be a man who ran from his debts and the rest were portrayed as trying to stir up an unwanted revolution among loyal Mexican citizens. If you believe the special, it's a wonder the revolution happened at all. Whether Crockett died fighting or was executed doesn't matter. He died fighting for Texas independence. I thought the Texans didn't reinforce the Alamo because they were under strength, not because of bickering among themselves. All in all, I was pretty disappointed in the special and its politically correct spin.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:32:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Remembering my Texas history class from high school, which in those days was a mandatory class for all students (not sure if it still is today) I saw nothing that I didn't already know. Take a tour of the Alamo with an official guide from the state and you'll get pretty much the same story too.  Sam Houston choise not to reinforce the Alamo because he knew he was outnumbered by a professional army.  Houston new the Alamo was buying him time and waited and choise the time to engage Santa Anna, on his terms, and it worked out.

No matter what the story is, they were a bunch of brave men that died there.  Santa Anna burned their bodies and their ashes are now in the entrance to an old church in San Antonio not far from the Alamo.

So, Remember the Alamo, Remember Pearl Harbor.  Remember what they were and what they stand for and the brave people who died there.  There's just some things you ought not to forget.  Ya know?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Ya know this was the perfect thread to take some cheap shots at Texans and Texas but alas I can not, Jim Bowie (one of my most respected hero's) was in the Alamo and he gave his all too.
God bless Texas and those brave souls who fought to the death for what they believed in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ya know this was the perfect thread to take some cheap shots at Texans and Texas but alas I can not, Jim Bowie (one of my most respected hero's) was in the Alamo and he gave his all too.
God bless Texas and those brave souls who fought to the death for what they believed in.
View Quote

Okay.  Who are you and what have you done with jrzy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The alamo has already fallen to teh enemy- again!!!  
The coverage had definitely changed in the last 10 years.
Now that mexicans are the majority in san antonio, it's now being given a different spin.

Now the fucking mexicans [b]protest[/b] during the celebration of the battle of the alamo!!!! Turns your stomach.
View Quote

The funny thing is that the folks responsible for the oppression that brought about the Texas Revolution were not Mexicans either, they lived there, they made their fortunes there, but they were Spaniards of the blood, mostly noblemen and the descendants of noblemen who went to Mexico for Gold. They held not only the Texicans and Tejanos in submission, but also the native indian derived Mexicans and had done for 3-4 hundred years.  Most of the higher positions of authority and commerce in Mexico today are still held by Spaniards.  A friend of mine is descended from Spanish "mexican" nobility on his mother's side (his father is an American descended from Scots.) Many of his relatives on his mother's side are obviously european looking still after generations of only marrying among other Spanish descended Mexicans. Blond or red hair and light colored eyes still pop up regularly.

By contrast, the Mexican immigrants coming to the US are almost universally indian derived mexicans from the peasant class. Their role in the war was as cannon fodder for their overloards.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Noticed in that list that there were an awful lot of folks from across the sea, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, a couple Germans, a Netherlander, but no French.

One thing I have heard played up recently is that Jim Bowie was nothing more than a criminal caught in the noose and his presence at the Alamo enobled an otherwise dispicable character.   Did they make a major point of that in the History Channel piece?

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:48:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you think about the History Channel's version, I'll bet money you'll like it a lot better than the Hollywood version that is coming out.

Billy Bob Thornton as Davy Crockett? Was Pee Wee Herman not available?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#22]
A follow up to my last post about Bowie.  Personally I don't really care what he did, or Travis did or anyone else did before The Alamo.  The truth of our culture is that America is largely populated by folks who were outcasts from their homelands or their home states for one reason or another who migrated under the harshest possible conditions and started over, sometimes again and again, until they made it stick, and in the process, they created the greatest nation in the world.

Sam Adams (despite a successful beer company named for him) was an abject failure at every business he put his hand to except one...rabble rousing and patriotism. Good enough. Thomas Jefferson was largely a failure as a President, going back on many of the principle he had stood for prior to ascending to the presidency, but two acts made him immortal, the Declaration of Independence and the Louisianna Purchase.  Jefferson was also responsible for a great deal of academic advancement at the time, but that is another issue.  Often it is a single act, or a single cluster of related acts, that end up defining a life.  Davy Crockett's life would have been memorable, but not nearly so much so if he hadn't been killed in Texas, fighting for liberty.  Jim Bowie would have vanished into the mists of time, hardly a footnote, but he died for liberty.  The same is true of Travis and Houston.  For a short time they stood up and their lives were defined by those acts.

On the other side is former president Clinton, whose presidency will ultimately be defined by the acts of another upon him.   What a way to go down in history, Monica Lewinsky, the girl who blew Clinton.   And I bet these folks look down on Bowie and Crockett and Travis as ruffians.

One moment can define a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One thing I have heard played up recently is that Jim Bowie was nothing more than a criminal caught in the noose and his presence at the Alamo enobled an otherwise dispicable character.   Did they make a major point of that in the History Channel piece?
View Quote

His criminal acts were noted as well as his courage, leadership and fidelity to his friends.
[:)]

[devil]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top