Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Fair Winds and Following Seas Shipmates.
For seventy-two years you stood the watch.
Shipmates, you stand relieved, we have the watch.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#3]
RIP.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it's a good lookin ship.

Man, Paul Allen has the best job... that guy spends his time doing the coolest shit... especially if you're into history..
View Quote
too bad he donates to anti-gun orgs
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No matter how secret the mission, there was some number of people ashore who KNEW she was overdue.   The questions that should be asked is who, and what actions did they take, or why didn't they?  When she was sunk, the TS part of the mission was complete, and her movement should have been no more classified than any other Cruiser.
View Quote
There is a book written about the USS Indianapolis sinking called "In Harm's Way"

It clearly describes how the Navy knew of her departure time/date from Guam, and thus had a reasonable estimate of her intended arrival time in Leyte in the Philippines.

Nobody even took notice of her lack of arrival until almost THREE DAYS after she was supposed to arrive.  Then some PBY's on patrol spotted many sailors and life rafts strung out for several miles in the Philippine Sea, and landed to assist.  At that point, the pieces came together.

About 800 men of the Indy survived the sinking, only to have exposure and sharks take about 300 of them before their discovery and rescue.

Captain Mcvay of the Indy was made the scapegoat for "allowing the sinking" of his vessel.   In his court martial, they even brought in the captain of the Japanese sub that torpedoed the Indy.   That sub captain said the the lack of zig-zag manuvers by the Indy played no part in the ease of torpedoing the ship.  It was a full moon night, with no clouds, and a calm sea.  The Indianapolis stood out on the horizon plain as day, and was an easy target, since she was alone.

None the less, Mcvay was blamed.  He committed suicide in 1963, with the burden of the deaths of his crew around his neck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
When there was a Nuclear submarine named USS Indianapolis, the ships logo included a Gold Star for CA-35.

Memorial Day 2020 - U.S. Naval Academy Glee Club - U.S.S. Arizona Memorial
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lying at a depth of 18,000 feet?

I don't think they need to worry about too many casual souvenir hunters.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's good that they found it, but it shouldn't be disturbed
It won't be, it's a grave site.
Protected by law and is still property of United States Navy

It will be protected, in this case, from the discovery crew, itself. The article stated that they are being careful not to disturb it, as it is a gravesite. I don't think anyone was referring to"casual souvenir hunters".
Also, regarding your "closure" remarks... No, it's not a retarded term. There is such a thing and the families will feel a sense of closure now that the wreckage has been located.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Herbie Robinson from Cleveland

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You Navy surface guys, how did a cruiser rank in size comparable to the other ships classes? Was it the next step down from battleship?
View Quote
At the top is the battleship, followed by the battlecruiser (same guns as a battleship, much lighter in armor to increase speed), then followed by the heavy cruiser, such as the Indianapolis.

Indianapolis was 610 feet long, and displaced 9,950 tons.  It's important to remember that, since Indianapolis was designed to treaty induced limitations, these are artificial.  Cruisers of a generation before might be shorter, but would displace 3,000 to 5,000 tons more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When there was a Nuclear submarine named USS Indianapolis, the ships logo included a Gold Star for CA-35.

http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/images/sea/ssn/Insignia/ssn697_patch.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQOzUqdOVDU
View Quote
That gives me chills
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Understood and agreed.  I just think the word gets overplayed by the media to the extent that it implies that people can "forget and move on."  No, they can't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense to OP intended, but IMO this word/concept, in the sense presented, is one of the most retarded word/concepts in the English language.

You know, when they find the heads of the victims in the serial killer's refrigerator, that really DOESN'T give "closure" to the victim's families.

It just means "they know what happened their heads now."
And while it may not seem like much, it can often be an end to a family that keeps thinking, they just might be alive out there.   That is not the case here, but in the example you presented it does (from what families have said) bring about some closure.
Understood and agreed.  I just think the word gets overplayed by the media to the extent that it implies that people can "forget and move on."  No, they can't.
Closure is wiping away any mysterious circumstances from the loss of a loved one. I've never even imagined that it would be seen as "forgetting".
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That gives me chills
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.combatindex.com/hardware/images/sea/ssn/Insignia/ssn697_patch.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQOzUqdOVDU
That gives me chills
I had a nice little cry over this this afternoon, made CarbineKid watch the monologue from Jaws and now feeling quite happy they found here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There is a book written about the USS Indianapolis sinking called "In Harm's Way"

It clearly describes how the Navy knew of her departure time/date from Guam, and thus had a reasonable estimate of her intended arrival time in Leyte in the Philippines.

Nobody even took notice of her lack of arrival until almost THREE DAYS after she was supposed to arrive.  Then some PBY's on patrol spotted many sailors and life rafts strung out for several miles in the Philippine Sea, and landed to assist.  At that point, the pieces came together.

About 800 men of the Indy survived the sinking, only to have exposure and sharks take about 300 of them before their discovery and rescue.

Captain Mcvay of the Indy was made the scapegoat for "allowing the sinking" of his vessel.   In his court martial, they even brought in the captain of the Japanese sub that torpedoed the Indy.   That sub captain said the the lack of zig-zag manuvers by the Indy played no part in the ease of torpedoing the ship.  It was a full moon night, with no clouds, and a calm sea.  The Indianapolis stood out on the horizon plain as day, and was an easy target, since she was alone.

None the less, Mcvay was blamed.  He committed suicide in 1963, with the burden of the deaths of his crew around his neck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No matter how secret the mission, there was some number of people ashore who KNEW she was overdue.   The questions that should be asked is who, and what actions did they take, or why didn't they?  When she was sunk, the TS part of the mission was complete, and her movement should have been no more classified than any other Cruiser.

Well that sucks. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't realize we didn't know the location of her wreck.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been on many of the wrecks around Milwaukee.
The viz at 18,000 feet of depth, is far better than I have ever seen around here at 140' .
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#16]
What the Navy did to Captain McVay was a disgrace.

RIP Captain.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I watched about five minutes of that before I had to turn it off because it was retarded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have the Democrats tried to destroy it yet?
Hollywood made a train wreck of a movie about it.  Does that count?
I think I watched about five minutes of that before I had to turn it off because it was retarded.
Nicholas Cage was in it.
Figures.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I read the book "Abandon Ship" about the Indianapolis.  It was a latter version with revisions since its original publishing.  Well worth your time if you are looking for a good read.  I'm glad Congress got around in the late nineties and absolved Captain McVay of responsibility for the loss of his vessel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Some years ago, I had occasion to spend an afternoon getting crocked with a USS Indianapolis survivor. It was an experience I'll never forget. 
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

Anyway, we delivered the bomb.”

Jaws (1975) - The Indianapolis Speech Scene (7/10) | Movieclips
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#21]
The sinking of the USS Indianapolis was actually covered in my 11th grade American History Class (1977) when we were discussing the use of the atomic bombs on Japan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
“Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into her side, Chief. We was comin’ back from the island of Tinian to Leyte. We’d just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes.

Didn’t see the first shark for about a half-hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that in the water, Chief? You can tell by lookin’ from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn’t know, was that our bomb mission was so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn’t even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin’ by, so we formed ourselves into tight groups. It was sorta like you see in the calendars, you know the infantry squares in the old calendars like the Battle of Waterloo and the idea was the shark come to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin’ and hollerin’ and sometimes that shark he go away… but sometimes he wouldn’t go away.

Sometimes that shark looks right at ya. Right into your eyes. And the thing about a shark is he’s got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll’s eyes. When he comes at ya, he doesn’t even seem to be livin’… ’til he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then… ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin’. The ocean turns red, and despite all your poundin’ and your hollerin’ those sharks come in and… they rip you to pieces.

You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don’t know how many sharks there were, maybe a thousand. I do know how many men, they averaged six an hour. Thursday mornin’, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boson’s mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. He bobbed up, down in the water, he was like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he’d been bitten in half below the waist.

At noon on the fifth day, a Lockheed Ventura swung in low and he spotted us, a young pilot, lot younger than Mr. Hooper here, anyway he spotted us and a few hours later a big ol’ fat PBY come down and started to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened. Waitin’ for my turn. I’ll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water. 316 men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs
View Quote
Am I the only one that read that in "the voice"?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#23]
No, I definitely read that with Capt. Quint speaking it in my head.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No offense to OP intended, but IMO this word/concept, in the sense presented, is one of the most retarded word/concepts in the English language.

You know, when they find the heads of the victims in the serial killer's refrigerator, that really DOESN'T give "closure" to the victim's families.

It just means "they know what happened their heads now."
View Quote
Not really.  You should go to a DPAA family event sometime.  There are a lot of people who's husband, father, son's life was cut short and only listed as MIA.  Yes, they know that they are gone, but it is an opportunity for them to bring their loved one home and have one final last moment with them, even though they are no longer alive.  People put a lot of weight into the final resting place of loved ones.. and an unknown one does not provide that "closure" mentally that our culture puts a lot of stock into.

Now they know the final resting place at least.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn, that's half way to the Mariana Trench ( 36,070 feet )
View Quote
Most of the pacific is 2000-2700 fathoms, so 18,000ft is typical.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Was looking at the other photos...  The paint has held up REALLY well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazing how well preserved the ship is and how good the visibility is...

RIP to all aboard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
And his crew fought tirelessly to clear his name.

Eventually, they succeeded. To me, that speaks volumes about the man, no matter what the Navy says.He had to have been a good leader, to inspire that kind of loyalty.

As I recall, reports claimed there were no IJN submarines in the area. (And nowhere close, if I recall correctly). There was no reason for the captain to expect the ship would come under attack from a submarine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
From the pictures, it is incredibly well preserved. Some of the paint stenciling looks like it was done last week!

It is definitely a war grave, but since the ships bell is clearly visible and apparently accessible without disturbing any structure, I think the USN should recover it for a proper memorial.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#30]
She was found in DEEP water (19,685 ft).

Link
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#31]
So we know Little Boy was aboard the Indy...

I had a thought earlier and cant seem to find an answer.  How did Fat Man get to Tinian?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Some years ago, I had occasion to spend an afternoon getting crocked with a USS Indianapolis survivor. It was an experience I'll never forget. 
View Quote
My Great Uncle Paul Uffleman was a Marine on board the Indy, he survived thatvand went on to Chosin Reservoir with Chesty, did two tours in Viet Nam, then off to Beruit.

He passed in his sleep after I had joined the Marines in 93. He was a great man.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Can't believe how well it has held up after being submerged for 72 years.

Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That gives me chills
View Quote
I can still remember the hair on my neck standing up at the Arizona memorial.  Seeing and smelling the oil still leaking is incredible.  When we sing that hymn in church i get a little choked up thinking about being at that site.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs
View Quote
Shaw did that scene drunk on whiskey. He died 3 years later of a heart attack.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Amazing how well preserved the ship is and how good the visibility is...

RIP to all aboard.
View Quote
The wreck of USS Yorktown (CV-5) is similarly well-preserved at some 16,000-ft below the Pacific.
Here's her bridge, as imaged almost 20 years-ago, during Robert Ballard's expedition to find the ship and other Battle of Midway wrecks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#39]
The sub that sank her was armed with Kaiten, manned suicide torpedos, but the captain elected to use conventional ones.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, that's quite a buffer. That's quite a bit deeper than the Titanic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I want to know which genius decided to send a heavy cruiser anywhere without at least one destroyer as an escort.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Sacred ground
View Quote
What you  wanna bet assholes will soon be salvaging it's screws to finance their expeditions. That they'll steal the ships bell, and retrieve a bunch of other stuff. Leave the ship alone, leave the site alone, it is sacred territory.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My Great Uncle Paul Uffleman was a Marine on board the Indy, he survived thatvand went on to Chosin Reservoir with Chesty, did two tours in Viet Nam, then off to Beruit.

He passed in his sleep after I had joined the Marines in 93. He was a great man.
View Quote
Semper Fidelis - USMC West Coast Composite Band - 2010 Bandfest Pass in Review
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I thought that the Hiroshima bomb was"Fat Man" and "Little Boy" was the Nagasaki bomb.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fair Winds and Following Seas Shipmates.
For seventy-two years you stood the watch.
Shipmates, you stand relieved, we have the watch.

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.  I even read in the pauses.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that scene is definitely in he top five scenes in cinematic history. the look on Dreyfus's face is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Shaw did that scene drunk on whiskey. He died 3 years later of a heart attack.
View Quote
Actually he was sober. He fucked up the first take because he was shitfaced.

5. The movie’s best scene required a do-over.OK, so we all agree that the USS Indianapolis speech is the best part of
the movie, right? Even if it’s not your personal top scene, most Jaws fans agree that it’s captivating, clearly in the running for the movie’s
best monologue. Well, Shaw had an idea for how to make it come out just
right. The characters are drinking during the scene leading up to the
monologue, he reasoned, so in the spirit of dramatic accuracy, he should
drink a bit, too. Just a little. A wee tipple … or, as it turned out,
so much that he blacked out and had to be carried back to the set. Late
that night, Shaw called Spielberg, panicked, unable to remember if he
had done anything embarrassing. He asked that they try the scene again
the next day.6. The reshot Indianapolis scene was perfected thanks to Shaw’s skill as a writer.Two reasons why the Indianapolis scene turned out so remarkably well: 1. A
contrite Shaw played it sober, nailing it in just a few takes. 2. Shaw
rewrote the scene. In addition to being an Oscar-nominated actor, Shaw
was an award-winning writer of novels, plays and screenplays, and when
he took a crack at polishing up the monologue, he made it into something
unforgettable. Spielberg asserts that the monologue was a joint effort
between two screenwriters and Shaw, while others say that Shaw did the
heavy lifting to make the monologue so perfect (though one or more of
the writers didn’t quite do their research: Quint says the ship sank
“June the 29th, 1945,” but it was actually July 30 when the Indianapolis went down). Dreyfuss, whose Hooper listens with horrified
fascination as Quint’s tale unfolds, said that he wasn’t just acting: He
really couldn’t tear his eyes away from Shaw, and the monologue was
“one of the most riveting things” he’d “ever seen or heard.”

more here
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hard to comprehend in so many ways
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

18,000 feet deep
Hard to comprehend in so many ways
The lucky ones went down with the boat, the rest spent time swimming.

Its funny really, I love the sea and am terrified of being in the water offshore with sharks.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top