BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
This is not gonna be good for the m27/38.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought Marines only got Army hand-me-downs
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
This will end in disaster. Suppressors are not average joe safe.

Even for the gun enthusiasts on here some of us know diddly squat about gas adjustment.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:44:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is not gonna be good for the m27/38.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Those clone builds just got $200 more expensive
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a terrible choice.  Long, heavy, not that quiet silencer on already longish guns.  Seems like a K can with a flash hider endcap would be a lot more versatile, add less kit weight, and give the same benefits...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:14:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Will probably have a net negative effect on hearing loss due to false sense of safety.

Fewer people will wear thier earpro because "it's not loud with the can on"... meanwhile the port noise from the M4/M16 gas bleed is still louder than the suppressed muzzle report (port noise is like 143+ dB and 8" from your ear).
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:16:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I swear KAC gives kickbacks to the procurement officers...I bet these can's are costing .gov twice as much as a Dead Air or Surefire...
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The army's compact semi-auto sniper system selected the original OSS can that is two-part and octagonal.
View Quote

Yeah that was it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I swear KAC gives kickbacks to the procurement officers...I bet these can's are costing .gov twice as much as a Dead Air or Surefire...
View Quote
Ive seen more problems with surefire and deadair than KAC's NT4.
KAC probably gives them a sweet deal, plus KAC has had plenty of contracts to show their worth in manufacturing and delivery.

I don't think it's a great can for a designated marksman role though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:22:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seems like a terrible choice.  Long, heavy, not that quiet silencer on already longish guns.  Seems like a K can with a flash hider endcap would be a lot more versatile, add less kit weight, and give the same benefits...
View Quote

The only thing the Surfire has over the NT4 is weight. The NT4 sounds better and is more durable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The army's compact semi-auto sniper system selected the original OSS can that is two-part and octagonal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the way the kac looks. I thought the army was also looking at cans but they liked the oss helix or whatever.

IIRC, OSS is the only suppressor that HK gives the thumbs up to for their 416/417 rifles because the OSS design pushes more gas out of the suppressor than every other suppressor that is made. The 416/417 key feature for being gas piston is cleanliness, and a suppressor on an HK will get just as dirty as an M4/M16, unless the HK has the OSS, which is less dirty.
The OSS doesn't suppressor very well. From the shooters perspective, its great. But forward of the muzzle it's quite loud compared to other suppressors due to the ejection of the gas out the front of the can. However IIRC, the OSS also has almost zero to complete zero muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Works for me. They have been thinking out of the box lately IMO. Ammo (Mk. 262 and Mk. 318), M27 (Which I was skeptical of concept initially) and now this. Not here to debate just seem like good directions to pursue.
ETA: They also embraced the M4/ ACOG concept. I know not all this happened yesterday but it is a big transition in thinking. Again IMO.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It isnt just military that use them. But if they are military equipment it wasn't stolen at the user level.
View Quote

+1

Anybody individually issued equipment, down to canteens, magazine pouches, etc., has had the experience of having to go "out in town" and buy a replacement to turn in, in place of one that was misplaced. Not to mention entire units having to spend Saturdays searching the training area looking for the spare barrel or whatever that somebody dropped in the middle of the exercise.

Users are not diverting stuff to eBay. That is being done somewhere further up the supply chain, by people who have access to warehouses full of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Will probably have a net negative effect on hearing loss due to false sense of safety.

Fewer people will wear thier earpro because "it's not loud with the can on"... meanwhile the port noise from the M4/M16 gas bleed is still louder than the suppressed muzzle report (port noise is like 143+ dB and 8" from your ear).
View Quote

The 416 doesn't have 'port noise'.  It vents gas forward off the gas block.

The HKs will beat the shit out of themselves though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They already established precedent for "common usage" with Tasers, 100,000 was considered "common usage".  A lot more machineguns or suppressors in the registry than that...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So "in common usage" soon

LOL, yeah no.

Now anyone that has or wants an "assault suppressor" must turn it in for the mandatory buyback. You can't have military level weaponry. Now pick up that can!

They already established precedent for "common usage" with Tasers, 100,000 was considered "common usage".  A lot more machineguns or suppressors in the registry than that...

It will be interesting to see what SCOTUS says when/if the Bumpstock ban gets to them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
NT4 is old tech isn't it?
View Quote

...The NT4? Are you fucking kidding me?

90’s and early 2000’s. Solidly built, durable, probably cheaper, but fucking heavy, needs its own mount, doesn’t RTZ, and isn’t exactly low back pressure.

WTF... KAC has a newer version that’s lighter and overall superior. Doesn’t make sense to go for the older model here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wrong. Ear pro is only used on places like the rifle/KD range....or at least should be.
In training, especially with live ammo, and in theatre, ear plugs for the riflemen are a no-no. And not everyone in the military has special combat communication headphones.

What I'm trying to say is, is that suppressor or no suppressor, there would be no difference.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Works for me. They have been thinking out of the box lately IMO. Ammo (Mk. 262 and Mk. 318), M27 (Which I was skeptical of concept initially) and now this. Not here to debate just seem like good directions to pursue.
ETA: They also embraced the M4/ ACOG concept. I know not all this happened yesterday but it is a big transition in thinking. Again IMO.
View Quote

Unfortunately the Commandant has his brain dead idea of getting rid of tanks and sending an infantry plt to Betio to guard some Himars so we can kill the Chinese Navy.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I predict a lot of marines with suppressor brands in the future.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

AT4 AND the 203. They probably gave him half a dozen batteries for the radios too.

I bet that as soon as they reach 100% fielding of the suppressor, they will adopt the the 6.8MM round...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just feel bad for that poor fucker humping that AT-4.  The look on his face tells me he is thoroughly satisfied with his life choices.  “ join the Corps they said, it’ll be fun they said“  

AT4 AND the 203. They probably gave him half a dozen batteries for the radios too.

I bet that as soon as they reach 100% fielding of the suppressor, they will adopt the the 6.8MM round...

When he walks by, other Marines giggle and whisper to each other, “guess which dumb bastard fucked the platoon commander’s daughter?”
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When he walks by, other Marines giggle and whisper to each other, "guess which dumb bastard fucked the platoon commander's daughter?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just feel bad for that poor fucker humping that AT-4.  The look on his face tells me he is thoroughly satisfied with his life choices.  " join the Corps they said, it'll be fun they said"  

When he walks by, other Marines giggle and whisper to each other, "guess which dumb bastard fucked the platoon commander's daughter?"

Considering most plt commanders are mid 20s, zero
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

90’s and early 2000’s. Solidly built, durable, probably cheaper, but fucking heavy, needs its own mount, doesn’t RTZ, and isn’t exactly low back pressure.

WTF... KAC has a newer version that’s lighter and overall superior. Doesn’t make sense to go for the older model here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NT4 is old tech isn't it?

Don't most QA suppressors have proprietary mounts? Doesn't return to zero? So are you saying that if you remove the can and then put it back on that the POI shifts? I haven't experienced that with my NT4.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now give them this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISRIB
View Quote

This is a weird response to this post.

What, do you want them to stop drooling, eating crayons and drawing dicks everywhere?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When he walks by, other Marines giggle and whisper to each other, “guess which dumb bastard fucked the platoon commander’s daughter?”
View Quote

Platoons are generally commanded by lieutenants, who are generally in their early 20s. They don't generally have datable daughters.

Maybe their Divisional commanders.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top