Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about a rotary rack or a magazine that drops from a tiny bay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible without drawing a new fuselage from scratch unless the bomb bays are tiny.  The quick and dirty way is to think outside the box and copy the Heinkel method with vertical tubes poking through the lower moldline.  Drop SDB's and other tiny precision bombs.  Small impact on the fuselage structural integrity.
You would be stuck with that rotary rack inside the fuselage and loading the ordnance would take a lot longer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible without drawing a new fuselage from scratch unless the bomb bays are tiny.  The quick and dirty way is to think outside the box and copy the Heinkel method with vertical tubes poking through the lower moldline.  Drop SDB's and other tiny precision bombs.  Small impact on the fuselage structural integrity.
You'd have better luck converting C-17's and C-130's. At least the wings are in the right place.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Military planes used to be obsolete by the time they actually were in full production, this thing is heading to be in service for most of a century.

Not sure if I'm impressed or appalled.
View Quote
Let's see how they do in the next shooting war.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm impressed the airframes are still flight worthy to put the new engines into.  That's a big bird with a lot of stresses over decades of incredibly loaded takeoffs and landings.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm impressed the airframes are still flight worthy to put the new engines into.  That's a big bird with a lot of stresses over decades of incredibly loaded takeoffs and landings.
View Quote
Not really, the planes that did all the work in ‘nam are all beer cans now. The Hs were sitting around on alert doing very little most of their lives. That’s why 15 year old C-17s have more hours than 60 year old BUFFs. Sometimes the years do matter though, especially when it comes to corrosion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not really, the planes that did all the work in ‘nam are all beer cans now. The Hs were sitting around on alert doing very little most of their lives. That’s why 15 year old C-17s have more hours than 60 year old BUFFs. Sometimes the years do matter though, especially when it comes to corrosion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didnt know that - sincere thanks for correcting me!
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
15 year old C-17s have more hours than 60 year old BUFFs.
View Quote
That is an interesting fact. When you think about it, it makes sense and is a good use of taxpayer dollars.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is that version still in production?
View Quote
No.
Does not matter, other versions will work.

I used the -2A as an example due to it's very low failure rate and high longevity.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It costs less to keep flying than the B-1 or B-2. With new more fuel efficient engines that cost will go lower. The engines on it now have been out of production for decades. Parts have become difficult to find and are expensive. It wouldn't surprise me if some parts had to be custom made. I also read that those engines are supposed to be overhauled every 1500 hours. I would think that a modern engine could surpass this mark.
View Quote
The USAF has been working on designing new parts and components for the TF33.

Here's a test of a TF33 with a redesigned inlet case and turbine exhaust case .

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1020305/newly-redesigned-tf33-engine-tested-at-arnold-afb/

And no, the two extra nozzles are not part of the mod, they are ducting the low-bypass fan air from the engine.

If only there were some TF33 engines just sitting around from a ex .mil transport that could be used for spare parts...

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you for the correction on O/H hours. I read the 1500 hour figure somewhere that I can't remember right now.

Here it is.
http://www.airpowerstrategy.com/2016/11/22/old-dog-new-engines/
View Quote
Read that. Not sure where they got those numbers. But 6,000 engine hrs is what is actually tracked.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You would be stuck with that rotary rack inside the fuselage and loading the ordnance would take a lot longer.
View Quote
We were using racks the first few months than switched to rotarys. Loading the rotary is faster since since it holds less. Think loading a 8 shot revolver vs a 31 round stick mag with your fingers.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:19:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The USAF has been working on designing new parts and components for the TF33.

Here's a test of a TF33 with a redesigned inlet case and turbine exhaust case .

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1020305/newly-redesigned-tf33-engine-tested-at-arnold-afb/

https://media.defense.gov/2016/Dec/05/2001674765/-1/-1/0/161111-F-RS654-007.JPG

And no, the two extra nozzles are not part of the mod, they are ducting the low-bypass fan air from the engine.

If only there were some TF33 engines just sitting around from a ex .mil transport that could be used for spare parts...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/USAF_Lockheed_C-141C_Starlifter_65-0248.jpg
View Quote
They might be the TF33 family of engines, but the P7 and P103 have vastly different. The P3 shares the most commonality when looking through the IPB.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I THINK there are many ancient B52s in a bone-yard in AZ. I think the show mentioned D & G models comes to my mind. I think many have been cannibalized for parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I wish we still had a few of the old G models around with their smokey ass J57 engines. Nothing would trigger the tree huggers more than a full squadron of those doing a MITO on water injection. The tears that would flow could cause a rain forest to sprout in Ethiopia.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Forgot to mention the TV show also said that many of the B52s in AZ were cut in 2 pieces by a huge guillotine-like knife dropped from a crane-type device for the SALT2 agreement. They were left in the open so that the Soviet satellites can take photos of the destroyed planes.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No.

I used the -2A as an example due to it's very low failure rate and high longevity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that version still in production?
No.

How much modification would it take to get them working on a B-52?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Could we produce more B1’s ?
View Quote
IIRC we destroyed the tooling.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could we produce more B1’s ?
You would not want to.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#20]
First, we don't have the cruise missiles to shoot in that numbers.  Second, that plane gets thrown about every time someone talks about bombers.  We see all these cool drawings but nothing realistic like how they planned to get the rotary launchers into the plane in the first place.   If they're not removable, are you going to load gobs of missiles one at a time through the exit bay?  It would take forever to load this thing.

Weapons release would be terrible on this.  Keeping CG of dumping 2000 lbs at a time from that far aft would suck.  Bombers usually have the bomb bay at the COG so that release just results in a controlled rise with neither the tail or nose pitching up.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
First, we don't have the cruise missiles to shoot in that numbers.  Second, that plane gets thrown about every time someone talks about bombers.  We see all these cool drawings but nothing realistic like how they planned to get the rotary launchers into the plane in the first place.   If they're not removable, are you going to load gobs of missiles one at a time through the exit bay?  It would take forever to load this thing.

Weapons release would be terrible on this.  Keeping CG of dumping 2000 lbs at a time from that far aft would suck.  Bombers usually have the bomb bay at the COG so that release just results in a controlled rise with neither the tail or nose pitching up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

747 freighters have a flip up nose. As to the rest, valid points.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8e/USAF_Lockheed_C-141C_Starlifter_65-0248.jpg
View Quote
The problem is those TF-33's off the re-engined KC-135E / EC-RC's and retired C-141's are also old and tired.

The TF-33's on the 135E fleet were x-airline engines taken off surplus 707's and most had Huge core hours to start with. Keeping 4 of them working was a huge maintenance $$$$$ and on top of that the quality of the engines coming from depot was awful and sometimes they didn't make 20 hrs before crapping out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I THINK there are many ancient B52s in a bone-yard in AZ. I think the show mentioned D & G models comes to my mind. I think many have been cannibalized for parts.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How much modification would it take to get them working on a B-52?
View Quote
Why are you asking me these stupid questions?
Google it yourself.
Read the responses in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The problem is those TF-33's off the re-engined KC-135E / EC-RC's and retired C-141's are also old and tired.
The TF-33's on the 135E fleet were x-airline engines taken off surplus 707's and most had Huge core hours to start with. Keeping 4 of them working was a huge maintenance $$$$$ and on top of that the quality of the engines coming from depot was awful and sometimes they didn't make 20 hrs before crapping out.
View Quote
I saw those engines on the Speckled Trout and the TC-18's when the Navy was using them as E-6B trainers.
Holy shit they had some serious cracks and welds on the first stage static vane sections.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why are you asking me these stupid questions?
Google it yourself.
Read the responses in this thread.
View Quote
Because I am genuinely curious and have no avaition background.
I figure a redesign of the nacelles and am sure that there are other things that would need to be considered.

Why are you being a jerk to a guy that only wants to know a little about this? Why not pass on some of your knowledge instead of trying to belittle others?
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Another Combat Aviation thread, and another standard "there is no good option, the only thing we can do is rape the taxpayer" standard line of responses from the zoomies.

And yet they wonder why everyone hates on the Air Force, and their corrupt politicians backed by the aviation industry.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I figure a redesign of the nacelles and am sure that there are other things that would need to be considered.
Why are you being a jerk to a guy that only wants to know a little about this? Why not pass on some of your knowledge instead of trying to belittle others?
View Quote
Your questions are following a familiar pattern when someone is trolling me.
I am not AeroE, he's the guy to ask.
I would have no idea about the engineering required other than what I can find on Google or from the responses in this and other threads.
I apologize for coming off as a jerk.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Another Combat Aviation thread, and another standard "there is no good option, the only thing we can do is rape the taxpayer" standard line of responses from the zoomies.

And yet they wonder why everyone hates on the Air Force, and their corrupt politicians backed by the aviation industry.
View Quote
The current plan as I understand it is that the motors will be leased with a total cost of operation being less than the existing costs.  It should result in a net-savings for the taxpayer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Not even close.
View Quote
good to know, but why then keep all the obsolete shit in the airframe? seems like all the wiring and plumbing is just dead weight...
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would have no idea about the engineering required other than what I can find on Google or from the responses in this and other threads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No problem. I knew you had an aviation background is why I asked.
I usually am a very obvious troll when I am actually trying to do so.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
good to know, but why then keep all the obsolete shit in the airframe? seems like all the wiring and plumbing is just dead weight...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.
Because it's usually not whole wire bundles that get made unnecessary.  If you had to pull ten wires out of a bundle you'd risk breaking all the still needed ones and it would take a huge amount of hours to implement the change.  It's generally a better answer to just cut and cap the wires and leave them for a major overhaul.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.
Probably easier and cheaper to leave it in there. I would also imagine that removing some of ot would require some major disassembly.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a module that lowers with replaceable rotary racks? Load them like a speed loader on a revolver..................when one is empty, have a loaded one ready to load onto the plane
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ask the poor bastards that maintain them what a jewel they are. It was a great plane in its youth, but there are many good reasons [redwe don’t fly 707s [/red]in passenger service anymore.
View Quote
I see 707s, well KC135s, often enough where I live.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:15:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't the Army looking at keeping Vietnam Era Hueys flying for 100 years?
The Air Force is still flying '68 model Ns but they should be replaced in the next five decades even with our procurement system.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the poor bastards that maintain them what a jewel they are. It was a great plane in its youth, but there are many good reasons [redwe don’t fly 707s [/red]in passenger service anymore.
I see real 707s flying overhead most days, but they aren't doing passenger work any more.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And why can't they put it out to bid, with specs, to 2 or 3 engine manufacturers?  I want xxx engines based on a current design to fit into y. I'm not talking about giving them away, or designing engines from scratch.  We got to the moon from scratch in 10 years with slide rules and spacecraft with less computing power than an apple watch ,but nobody can figure out how to build 700-800 engines to fit in an existing airframe and make a profit?
View Quote
we didn't care what it cost to get to the moon, until we actually made it there. then the price tag mattered...
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
maybe something like a giant p-90 magazine. load the munitions horizontally, rotate them vertically as they enter the drop tube / bomb dispenser?
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
As far as I'm aware, there is only one poster in here that has hands on experience (get paid) working with B-52's, and I know that person has never said there is no good option.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

How about a module that lowers with replaceable rotary racks? Load them like a speed loader on a revolver..................when one is empty, have a loaded one ready to load onto the plane
View Quote
Already have that, this photo happens to have ALCMs loaded on it. But remember, to load the preloaded launcher, you'll also need the associated trailers for it as well. It is cheaper and logistically simpler to just load the bombs from a flatbed onto the launcher. Cruise missiles are different, I've never seen them not already loaded onto a rack or launcher when jets are being armed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Tiny bay would hold a tiny rotary launcher and throw tiny munitions.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
One can’t just redesign a nacelle and call it good.
Aero and load changes affect the whole airplane and have to be approached pretty carefully.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Couldn't they re-wing the bitch as part of the upgrade package, or would that be almost as much work as designing an all-new aircraft?

With modern day CAD, FEA, and CAM, you'd think it's be possible to do an economical re-wing program.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Couldn't they re-wing the bitch as part of the upgrade package, or would that be almost as much work as designing an all-new aircraft?

With modern day CAD, FEA, and CAM, you'd think it's be possible to do an economical re-wing program.
View Quote

Wait, you’re serious?

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsboeing-delivers-first-re-winged-a-10-thunderbolt-ii-aircraft/

$2B for the A-10 re-wing. It would be at least ten times that cost on the BUFF. Might as well build a new bomber.  Call it the B-21 raider.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wait, you’re serious?

http://www.airforce-technology.com/news/newsboeing-delivers-first-re-winged-a-10-thunderbolt-ii-aircraft/

$2B for the A-10 re-wing. It would be at least ten times that cost on the BUFF. Might as well build a new bomber.  Call it the B-21 raider.
View Quote
$8.3 *MILLION* USD per wing for a fucking A-10?

I mean, really?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I mean, really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you’re serious?

I mean, really?
That’s a Boeing bargain. Those airplanes were something like $10 or $14M, brand new.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I see real 707s flying overhead most days, but they aren't doing passenger work any more.  
View Quote
707s you say.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 12:31:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
707s you say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

707s you say.
Junkstars and gaywacks are 707s. He knows the difference between 707s and -135s.
Page / 6
Top Top