User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
The similarities between the F-16 and M-16 development are remarkable, sometimes.

What started off as a lightweight high tech weapon with a troubled and controversial introduction has evolved into a heavy pig that's been pressed into roles it wasn't intended to fill by strapping a bunch of bullshit onto it and calling it 'evolution'.

Whether you see that as a triumph or a failure is up to the individual, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since wehave not been in a war with a major advisory since North Vietnam the arms race has really slowed.

Technically the First Gulf War does not count as most of the equipment we use today was just off the assembly line.

Still, flying aircraft for almost 80 years (BUFFs) is amazing.

We'll scramble and be caught off guard in the next major war.
View Quote
lol

By who?  ...the entire rest of the world?   Once nuclear weapons came on the scene, everything has been third-world shitholes, and proxy wars.   The only powers even close enough to challenge the US are perhaps Russia and China.   And neither would risk a major engagement against us, because of the nuclear option.    

We spend more on our military than almost the entire rest of the world combined.  ....and we're over 18 trillion in debt.   I fear that our debt and unfunded liabilities are a bigger threat to us, than China or Russia.  

I want a strong defense.  I'd like to see us upgrade and modernize our nuclear deterrent.  I'd like us to keep developing our missile defense systems, and I'd like to see us upgrade and expand our submarine capabilities.  

But I just don't think we need a lot of expensive manned fighters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The similarities between the F-16 and M-16 development are remarkable, sometimes.

What started off as a lightweight high tech weapon with a troubled and controversial introduction has evolved into a heavy pig that's been pressed into roles it wasn't intended to fill by strapping a bunch of bullshit onto it and calling it 'evolution'.

Whether you see that as a triumph or a failure is up to the individual, I guess.
View Quote
What are they putting on the M4 that's bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked the 39th FTS 94-97.  I worked on the ET side of the ramp with the much older birds.  History of the plane I crewed at link below

http://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/airframe-profile/748/
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear! Hope we can keep the A-10 as well!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you fly it less then it will last longer?
View Quote
You don't win the indy 500 by driving on the interstate to train. And there are a lot of squadrons who are already flying at or close to their minimums to maintain proficiency.

The F-16 is an incredibly capable aircraft and it doesn't surprise me the air force wants to extend the service life. But at some point it has to go. The airframe has a structural service life and eventually it will break. If a handful of them fall apart in mid-air and the whole fleet gets grounded while we're in a hot war then what? It was less than a decade ago this happened to the eagle and the viper isn't that much older.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Major wars have always been fought on numerical advantage, better attrition rates, and logistics/supply.  Since the DoD has been investing significantly on hi-tech, but low-volume fighters, they have no choice but to extend the life of the fighters they have if they want to be ready to fight a major war.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Major wars have always been fought on numerical advantage, better attrition rates, and logistics/supply.  Since the DoD has been investing significantly on hi-tech, but low-volume fighters, they have no choice but to extend the life of the fighters they have if they want to be ready to fight a major war.
View Quote
It's ironic to me have that we seek to emulate the German military that we defeated.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

lol

By who?  ...the entire rest of the world?   Once nuclear weapons came on the scene, everything has been third-world shitholes, and proxy wars.   The only powers even close enough to challenge the US are perhaps Russia and China.   And neither would risk a major engagement against us, because of the nuclear option.    

We spend more on our military than almost the entire rest of the world combined.  ....and we're over 18 trillion in debt.   I fear that our debt and unfunded liabilities are a bigger threat to us, than China or Russia.  

I want a strong defense.  I'd like to see us upgrade and modernize our nuclear deterrent.  I'd like us to keep developing our missile defense systems, and I'd like to see us upgrade and expand our submarine capabilities.  

View Quote
lol.

We spend less than 4% of our GDP on defense.  We can afford it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Hilarious how many idiots here don't realize how common that theme has been with many defense programs seen as "successful" today.

People love to cite some current weapon system (that had a very controversial introduction) as having been perfect and popular from day 1 when they are bitching about current defense programs. lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:40:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm surprised the AF taught you how important the B-29 was for airdroppimg naval mines.

But I'm not sure why you think the F-35 is so important. What do you plan to do with it and against who, that requires 2,400 of them?
View Quote
You've got that backwards.  It was the Navy (Fleet Admiral Nimitz) who taught the USAAF how the B-29 would be more effective dropping naval mines than bombs.  And a Fleet Admiral teaches by issuing an order.  

As to the F-35, we can build modern aircraft designed to make the generals and political leaders of our most powerful enemies afraid or we can build ancient aircraft and give them hope.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You've got that backwards.  It was the Navy (Fleet Admiral Nimitz) who taught the USAAF how the B-29 would be more effective dropping naval mines than bombs.  And a Fleet Admiral teaches by issuing an order.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When I said YOU I was talking about USAF77, who I'm pretty sure isn't a WW2 vet.

As to the F-35, we can build modern aircraft designed to make the generals and political leaders of our most powerful enemies afraid or we can build ancient aircraft and give them hope.
Russia and China do not give a fuck about the F-35.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I said YOU I was talking about USAF77, who I'm pretty sure isn't a WW2 vet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do Zerohedge and RT spend so much time ripping on it?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:43:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lol

View Quote
Good thing no one gives a fuck what you think.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised the AF taught you how important the B-29 was for airdroppimg naval mines.

But I'm not sure why you think the F-35 is so important. What do you plan to do with it and against who, that requires 2,400 of them?

Are we seriously planning to use stealth aircraft to bomb mud huts and goat rapists in coming years?  How is that affordable or sustainable?  In what world are we going to be able to complete any serious long term effort like Iraq/Afghanistan...when flying aircraft that are that fragile and cost that much?

Seriously?  

Just maybe the AF had that whole High/Low mix right on types of aircraft...maybe....

The AF is going to put itself out of business by making it's services unaffordable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:17:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure they do.  They give a fuck about F-35's, B-2's, and Minitemen, Trident, and every other weapon that can be used to kill them personally.  They also give a fuck about weapons that we will actually use. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are we seriously planning to use stealth aircraft to bomb mud huts and goat rapists in coming years?  How is that affordable or sustainable?  In what world are we going to be able to complete any serious long term effort like Iraq/Afghanistan...when flying aircraft that are that fragile and cost that much?

Seriously?  

Just maybe the AF had that whole High/Low mix right on types of aircraft...maybe....

The AF is going to put itself out of business by making it's services unaffordable.
View Quote
There was no High/Low mix. It's a falsehood in your stated context and concerns about mud huts and goat fuckers.  Because the Low was a fucking F-16.  A supersonic jet fighter.  Not cheap.  Not cheap to operate.

There never will be a high low mix because the low is uneconomic.  Having to train pilots to fly a piece of shit super tucano like aircraft that can't do shit or carry shit and then having to support a fleet of incapable airplanes is not economic for the United States Air Force.  The mission of the USAF is to defend this country and/or attack it's enemies regardless of their capabilities.  You can't fight a peer with Super Tucanos. 

If you want something useful the cheapest you can go would be something along the lines of a modern A-6 Intruder.  I don't know if it would be cheaper than an F-16 or cheaper per hour to operate, but I bet it would be cheaper per lb of enemy destroying ordnance delivered.  Medium bombers were useful in WWII and the A-6 was useful far after that.  We don't have anything like them anymore except the A-10 and it's on it's way out and the gun is heavy, inflexible system that needs to go away on any replacement aircraft.

If you are concerned about the cost of air power against mud huts, then you are going to have to develop weapons that reduce the need for air force air power and rely on army power.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There was no High/Low mix. It's a falsehood in your stated context and concerns about mud huts and goat fuckers.  Because the Low was a fucking F-16.  A supersonic jet fighter.  Not cheap.  Not cheap to operate.

There never will be a high low mix because the low is uneconomic.  Having to train pilots to fly a piece of shit super tucano like aircraft that can't do shit or carry shit and then having to support a fleet of incapable airplanes is not economic for the United States Air Force.  The mission of the USAF is to defend this country and/or attack it's enemies regardless of their capabilities.  You can't fight a peer with Super Tucanos. 

If you want something useful the cheapest you can go would be something along the lines of a modern A-6 Intruder.  I don't know if it would be cheaper than an F-16 or cheaper per hour to operate, but I bet it would be cheaper per lb of enemy destroying ordnance delivered.  Medium bombers were useful in WWII and the A-6 was useful far after that.  We don't have anything like them anymore except the A-10 and it's on it's way out and the gun is heavy, inflexible system that needs to go away on any replacement aircraft.

If you are concerned about the cost of air power against mud huts, then you are going to have to develop weapons that reduce the need for air force air power and rely on army power.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?  

This attitude is why people laugh at AF culture...

Fuck the wars we actually fight and the capabilities required to do it...

Instead, lets consume the lions share of the budget on platforms that are too expensive to operate and too valuable to risk...so we can prepare for a peer adversary that we could never actually fight as all peer nations have nukes and all roads lead to nukes in those fights.  

If that's your serious answer, you deserve to lose pilots and missions.

Iraq/Astan/Syria and similar are reality.  Manned aircraft are not going to downtown Beijing...ever.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who are you?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure they do.  They give a fuck about F-35's, B-2's, and Minitemen, Trident, and every other weapon that can be used to kill them personally.  They also give a fuck about weapons that we will actually use. 
View Quote
The fuck does an F-35 have to do with strategic air power?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This attitude is why people laugh at AF culture...

Fuck the wars we actually fight and the capabilities required to do it...

Instead, lets consume the lions share of the budget on platforms that are too expensive to operate and too valuable to risk...so we can prepare for a peer adversary that we could never actually fight as all peer nations have nukes and all roads lead to nukes in those fights.  

If that's your serious answer, you deserve to lose pilots and missions.

Iraq/Astan/Syria and similar are reality.  Manned aircraft are not going to downtown Beijing...ever.
View Quote
This.

So long as national policymakers commit forces to counterinsurgency the USAF owes them, taxpayers and the other services their most honest attempt to complete that mission effectively and without breaking their fleet or the treasury.

So far they've been unwilling to do that and dishonest when questioned about it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Viper is quite the hardy little aircraft.
View Quote
it is and this is OLD news knew about this early last year. too bad they shitcaned so many already
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, should have kept making the F22, and never touched the F35...could be so far ahead right now with a fleet of F22s and refreshed F16s.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
it'll be ready soon...
View Quote
Yeah, maybe by 2020...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep, should have kept making the F22, and never touched the F35...could be so far ahead right now with a fleet of F22s and refreshed F16s.
View Quote
I'd have made a subsonic non-stealth jumper for the Marines, a B model F22 for USAF and an F-35 for the Navy that wasn't made midget sized to fit on the midget carriers. The fucking absurdity of sizing the A and C model aircraft to fit the midget carriers is incredible. For the program cost they should have just bought the Navy new ships with larger elevators.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
This guy is one of the more well-respected posters so my guess is a lot of people care what he thinks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That doesn't mean it's a bad plane.  It just means it isn't being used properly.  Kind of like using a hammer as a wrench.
View Quote
ITT We hear from people who don't know shit about the meaning of "multi-role fighter".  The Viper has always been a bomb dropper that could dogfight with the best.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You need to read the book Viper Pilot. The F-16C/J is doing yeoman's work as a Wild Weasel.

Basically, the F-16 is today's F-4 Phantom.
View Quote
See 20 Fighter Wing, do you want to know more?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
USAF is worse than furniture stores when they do "going out of business! sales"

First they're going to scrap it, then they are going to continue it, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

F-35 deploys to Europe for the first time
http://www.usafe.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1153203/f-35-deploys-to-europe-for-the-first-time/

https://media.defense.gov/2017/Apr/15/2001733232/-1/-1/0/170415-F-XJ860-0010.JPG
An F-35A Lightning II from the 34th Fighter Squadron at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, lands at Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England, April 15, 2017.
The aircraft arrival marks the first F-35A fighter training deployment to the U.S. European Command area of responsibility or any overseas location as a flying training deployment.
(U.S. Air Force photo/Master Sgt. Eric Burks)
View Quote
It is an ugly plane!  I like the F-22 but the F-35 makes me
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just finished reading Viper Pilot over the weekend.  Those do some amazing things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Viper is quite the hardy little aircraft.
View Quote
What about those wing cracks that grounded Navy Agressor F16Ns, prematurely ?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What about those wing cracks that grounded Navy Agressor F16Ns, prematurely ?
View Quote
Dunno but they fly the shit out of those things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#38]
It still blows my mind that we just dont buy new ones and recap the fleet.

The Army did this with amazing success.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's ironic to me have that we seek to emulate the German military that we defeated.
View Quote
I keep seeing that but it isn't really true.  The majority of the equipment they actually fielded was prewar designs.  The ME109, FW190, HE111, JU 52 were all prewar and were produced as the backbone of their air force throughout the war.  Nothing else was produced in any quantity.

The PZ3 and PZ 4 were the overwhelming majority of their tanks, the pz3 lived on as assault guns later in the war.  It was only 44-45 that they started producing panthers in any quantity.  Tigers were never produced in any great numbers but that project began in the '30's as well.

Their subs were all prewar or early war designs that evolved but were essentially the same hulls and their troops for the most part carried the same bolt actions or subguns that were around since the late '30s.

None of this equipment was particularly high tech.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
These were in use deep into the jet age including extended service in a theater with peer/near-peer hostile aircraft, SAMs, and AAA.

NONE of those threats have existed in most of the GWOT or whatever the hell we're calling it these days. A semi-modern interpretation of the A-1 would have been more than adequate for the roles required.

USAF doesn't like it? Cut their budget, give most of the CAS role to the Army, and let warrant officers fly the aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

These were in use deep into the jet age including extended service in a theater with peer/near-peer hostile aircraft, SAMs, and AAA.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Skyraider_A-1H-J_1969_-_00000033_-_USAF.jpg

NONE of those threats have existed in most of the GWOT or whatever the hell we're calling it these days. A semi-modern interpretation of the A-1 would have been more than adequate for the roles required.

USAF doesn't like it? Cut their budget, give most of the CAS role to the Army, and let warrant officers fly the aircraft.
View Quote
I stated that a medium bomber like a modernized A-6 or a new gunless A-10 probably might make sense.  Maybe a new turbo prop twin engine A-1 type aircraft might make sense.  But none of these things will be cheap. 

There seems to be a lot of focus on per aircraft costs.  The U.S. military doesn't fight that way.  We have to be able to suddenly appear nearly anywhere in the world and be able to fight.  So bringing a bunch of different types of aircraft with you costs lots of money. 

Think of a carrier.  If you had room for about 90 aircraft, it makes a lot more sense if all 90 of those aircraft can fight/intercept, attack, and bomb.  If you have 30 that can fight/intercept, 30 that can attack, and 30 that can bomb, you have a lot less flexibility in meeting different missions and losses due to combat, accidents, maintenance start really screwing with that.  That's just the mechanics of the situation.  Then you have the people who fly them.  1 person trained to fly 1 aircraft that can do 3 roles is way simpler and more flexible than having 3 different pilot training programs, three different maintenance training programs, etc.

Southwest airlines uses the same concept with an entire fleet o 737's and nothing else.

We are on a web site dedicated to AR's which essentially replaced the rifle, the smg, and the carbine for most all purposes.   If consolidation makes sense on small arms, then having multi-role aircraft has an even more powerful incentive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Your effort to justify the slow destruction of B-1s at a million dollars a sortie is weak.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I stated that a medium bomber like a modernized A-6 or a new gunless A-10 probably might make sense.  Maybe a new turbo prop twin engine A-1 type aircraft might make sense.  But none of these things will be cheap. 

There seems to be a lot of focus on per aircraft costs.  The U.S. military doesn't fight that way.  We have to be able to suddenly appear nearly anywhere in the world and be able to fight.  So bringing a bunch of different types of aircraft with you costs lots of money. 

Think of a carrier.  If you had room for about 90 aircraft, it makes a lot more sense if all 90 of those aircraft can fight/intercept, attack, and bomb.  If you have 30 that can fight/intercept, 30 that can attack, and 30 that can bomb, you have a lot less flexibility in meeting different missions and losses due to combat, accidents, maintenance start really screwing with that.  That's just the mechanics of the situation.  Then you have the people who fly them.  1 person trained to fly 1 aircraft that can do 3 roles is way simpler and more flexible than having 3 different pilot training programs, three different maintenance training programs, etc.

Southwest airlines uses the same concept with an entire fleet o 737's and nothing else.

We are on a web site dedicated to AR's which essentially replaced the rifle, the smg, and the carbine for most all purposes.   If consolidation makes sense on small arms, then having multi-role aircraft has an even more powerful incentive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/Skyraider_A-1H-J_1969_-_00000033_-_USAF.jpg

That would work if your 1 aircraft wasn't uber maintenance intensive thanks to its ability to do every possible mission on earth...and if your 1 aircraft wasn't too expensive to risk and too expensive to fly...

It's great that you have super planes.  It is self defeating when your super planes are so super that nobody can afford them or afford to use them.  

Budgets are finite.  Reality is that you will spend the vast majority of your time doing things other than going to downtown Bejing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Naaaah.  VA, VB, VC....VW.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will the F-16 be the first aircraft we run out of model designation letters for.... we are up to F-16V ?  
Naaaah.  VA, VB, VC....VW.  
When you get to V you start adding numbers.

When the F-4E and G got a major radar system upgrade the APQ-120 became the APQ-120V(#).  The upgrade replaced the old analog target intercept computer with a digital version that added many new capabilities and was field reprogrammable.  When the Phantoms were retired the radar system was up to the V(9) configuration, due to software upgrades over the base version of the upgraded radar APQ-120V(-).
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who are you?
View Quote
A guy who doesn't go around thinking my opinion of issues I'm uninvolved in actually matters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A guy who doesn't go around thinking my opinion of issues I'm uninvolved in actually matters.
View Quote
Is that the way you introduce yourself?   ....I bet that leads to some awkward silences after you shake someone's hand.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top