User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

2. Rifle, MNF: H-S Precision, INC., Type: Rifle, Model: PRO Series 2000 SA, Cal: 308, FIN:

Black, SN: 3094;

FBI-spec Sniper rifle from H-S Precision.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Old Story.

Another guy who thought he had nothing to hide and forgot to STFU and convicted himself.

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I believe that line was drawn she he sold a gun he did not yet own supposing that's what truly happened.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'd need to see his asking and purchase price for the others but the Glock is a slam dunk.  He used a discount (similar to how wholesalers sell to dealers at lower prices) in order to make a profit on the purchase and sale of a firearm.  It only makes it worse that he didn't even HAVE the firearm before selling it.

ETA if Bama is right about the timeline being kosher then some prosecutor wanted to get his pound of flesh and fame from the F&F scam.  The Glock is still a slam dunk though.  Its a lot like the old idea of a C&R supplying his buddies because he "bought two and kept the better one for himself".  Even if you take a loss, you still purchased a firearm for the purpose of resale without the proper license.  I think its a stupid law but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It seemed to me he was just a hobby collector.

The prosecutor argued to the jury that Shipley could not be a collector because no one collects this 'military style' guns.....

Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Old Story.

Another guy who thought he had nothing to hide and forgot to STFU and convicted himself.

regardless of how much he didnt stfu, he still got fucked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Since when it is it illegal to sell firearms you don't want to keep? Seriously- how are they defining his actions as being a dealer? Because he used "gunbroker"?

This isn't about what the defendant did but the corrupt actions of the govt. trying to get a conviction.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:27:25 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.shipleylegalfund.com/facts.php

John went and spoke to the Judge in his chambers and relayed the facts to the Judge. The Judge called the prosecutor and asked why the agent was saying the defendant was innocent and the prosecutor was authorizing prosecution. John feels that this embarrassed the prosecutor. The prosecutor dropped all charges and the passenger was released. If you Google "John Shipley FBI" you will see information on this case. John felt bad for arresting her when she was actually innocent. She felt indebted to John because he did what was right.

A few years ago, someone made an allegation that John accepted money from her. There was a criminal investigation conducted by the Department of Justice Office of Inspector General (DOJ/OIG). After they figured out that John didn't accept money from her, they changed the investigation to an administrative investigation and accused him of perjury. I think they were trying to get him on anything they could. John cooperated with their investigation and we are still waiting to hear the results of the administrative investigation. Sometime in 2007, John legally sold a rifle from his personal firearms collection to an El Paso Deputy Sheriff. He was later contacted by the ATF who said they recovered the gun in Mexico. John offered to help and provided information about that gun and who he sold it to. The next thing we know, the Department of Justice Office of Inspector General and the ATF had a search warrant for the Shipley house (May of 2008). They seized 28 guns from the house. Nine of the guns were John's grandfather's old guns that were passed down to John. At the time that the search warrant was served, John was accused of dealing firearms without a license, conspiracy, false statements and obstruction of justice. Then in June of 2009, the Assistant United States Attorney in El Paso brought this before the Federal Grand Jury and John was indicted for dealing firearms without a license, causing a federal firearms license holder to have false records and false statements. John is innocent of these charges.

Here is what is interesting.

The Assistant United States Attorney's office for the Western District of Texas is the same one who went after the two Border Patrol agents, Ramos and Compean.
The DOJ/OIG agent was the same for the first criminal investigation, the administrative investigation and the criminal gun case.
The DOJ/OIG agent also wrote the search warrant (not ATF).
We feel this is clearly retaliation against John for telling the truth in the Southwest Airlines case.

From the link above....my iPad resists quotes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn!

Another light shined on corruption by Nolo.

I'm not done.

There's a reason you got the lifer's stars.  You, sir, are a hero in the gun rights community.

THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd need to see his asking and purchase price for the others but the Glock is a slam dunk.  He used a discount (similar to how wholesalers sell to dealers at lower prices) in order to make a profit on the purchase and sale of a firearm.  

So what?  Quote the relevant Federal code that says if you sell a firearm/s and make a profit, you have to be an FFL.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
18 usc 921
(13) The term "collector" means any person who acquires, holds,
or disposes of firearms as curios or relics, as the Attorney
General shall by regulation define, and the term "licensed
collector" means any such person licensed under the provisions of
this chapter.

so, because I don't acquire, hold or dispose of firearms as C&R's, i'm not a collector

18 usc 921
(11) The term "dealer" means (A) any person engaged in the
business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail, (B) any person
engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or
fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms,
or (C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term "licensed dealer"
means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this
chapter.

So If I make stocks for guns for a living, then I'm a dealer

18 USC 921
(21) The term "engaged in the business" means -

(A) as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, a person who
devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a
regular course of trade or business with the principal objective
of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the
firearms manufactured;

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who
devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as
a regular course of trade or business with the principal
objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or
distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section
921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to
dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with
the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the
repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall
not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or
purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal
collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his
personal collection of firearms;

(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section
921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to
engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or
business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit,
but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional
repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels,
stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

Further,
18 USC 921
(22) The term "with the principal objective of livelihood and
profit" means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of
firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary
gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating
a personal firearms collection:
Provided, That proof of profit
shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and
repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal
purposes or terrorism.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 4:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd need to see his asking and purchase price for the others but the Glock is a slam dunk.  He used a discount (similar to how wholesalers sell to dealers at lower prices) in order to make a profit on the purchase and sale of a firearm.  

So what?  Quote the relevant Federal code that says if you sell a firearm/s and make a profit, you have to be an FFL.

I bought a gun from a guy off the EE who had ordered it, then needed cash. Once it came in I met up with him and bought it.

Should I lock up ze puppies?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#15]
You can stretch your imagination all you want but there's not much doubt in my mind, and I'm assuming at least 12 others, that the FBI agent was buying and selling guns to make a profit.

The whole lost transcript thing just sounds like a distraction.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You can stretch your imagination all you want but there's not much doubt in my mind, and I'm assuming at least 12 others, that the FBI agent was buying and selling guns to make a profit.

have you looked into how much "profit" was made from the sale of those guns?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you looked into how much "profit" was made from the sale of those guns?

According to the numbers posted on his legal fund website, the profit realized over the 5 year period was about $4,937. However, I felt that (just as the USA made some misrepresentations) the figures provided by Shipley's fund are misleading. For example, the data set on his website used to realize that data includes figures from calendar years 2003 and 4- years in which Mr. Shipley acquired a grand sum of 18 firearms and sold 1 at a loss of nearly $12000. Concentrating on calendar years 2005-9, we notice that Shipley realized in excess of $17,100 worth of profits.

Even more difficult to realize, relative to the innocuous explanation re. family budget constraints is the spike in firearm acquisitions during calendar years 2005,6,7- which seems uncharacteristic given what appear to be his previous buy/sell habits. The frequency guns were coming in/ out of his collection is puzzling. I believe that the siezure list enumerated something like 27 firearms- 9 of which were hand-me-down family heirlooms- leaving 18 other firearms remaining. That number is appx. 3 more than the number of guns remaining after the acquisitions and dispositions from the 2003-8 time frame. For such a committed collector-hobbyist, it seems hard to believe. I would love to hold-time on the guns that were in his collection when it was seized to see how many of those predated the buying/ selling spree that commenced in 2005.

One of the claims made in the indictment was that Shipley was flipping guns that he was getting at great prices. The 2008 profits (8 guns sold at over $8000 profit) reinforce the point that he was shopping and selling. He didn't just come up with the money to buy 6 replacement firearms (sell 1 to buy 1) but came up with an average of $1000 per more....

I would hazard to say that even with his losses considered, Shipley was more successful in his transactions than many people claiming to be in business, who are trying desparatly to ensure that they are able to do adequate volume to still be considered in business so they can remain licensed to make side money doing what they like. Because of that, I see the relationship between the  profits generated by the firearm sales [secondary] and his FBI income [primary] as a sort of non-sequetor. When somebody goes into business, there is an expectation of realizing losses for the first several years, follow by break-even/ minimal profit, and maybe some growth. In Tax, it is recognized that an individual can be in business, trying to reap profit, and for years (decades even) realize deductible losses from an endeavor. I believe that there is too much of an effort to read into the 'profit and livliehood wording' to seperate those words into individual elements- which is not necessarily the way that they were intended to be read.

Do I believe that Shipley is a bad guy- No, I don't in fact, I believe that he was a good guy who dedicated his life to our country.
i also believe that there were people who wanted him to go down after he rocked the boat. And, I beliee that there weree prejudicial sentiments and statements directed his way by the Prosecution.
JHowever, none of thosereally appear to mitigate what appears to be daming evidence against him.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

18 usc 921

(13) The term "collector" means any person who acquires, holds,

or disposes of firearms as curios or relics, as the Attorney

General shall by regulation define, and the term "licensed

collector" means any such person licensed under the provisions of

this chapter.

so, because I don't acquire, hold or dispose of firearms as C&R's, i'm not a collector

18 usc 921

(11) The term "dealer" means (A) any person engaged in the

business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail, (B) any person

engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or

fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms,

or (C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term "licensed dealer"

means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this

chapter.

So If I make stocks for guns for a living, then I'm a dealer

18 USC 921

(21) The term "engaged in the business" means -

(A) as applied to a manufacturer of firearms, a person who

devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a

regular course of trade or business with the principal objective

of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the

firearms manufactured;

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who

devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as

a regular course of trade or business with the principal

objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or

distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section

921(a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to

dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with

the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the

repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall

not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or

purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal

collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his

personal collection of firearms;

(D) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section

921(a)(11)(B), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to

engaging in such activity as a regular course of trade or

business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit,

but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional

repairs of firearms, or who occasionally fits special barrels,

stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms;

Further,

18 USC 921

(22) The term "with the principal objective of livelihood and

profit" means that the intent underlying the sale or disposition of

firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary

gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating

a personal firearms collection:
Provided, That proof of profit

shall not be required as to a person who engages in the regular and

repetitive purchase and disposition of firearms for criminal

purposes or terrorism.
F&F transactions?

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

John went and spoke to the Judge in his chambers and relayed the facts to the Judge. The Judge called the prosecutor and asked why the agent was saying the defendant was innocent and the prosecutor was authorizing prosecution. John feels that this embarrassed the prosecutor. The prosecutor dropped all charges and the passenger was released. If you Google "John Shipley FBI" you will see information on this case. John felt bad for arresting her when she was actually innocent. She felt indebted to John because he did what was right.

A few years ago, someone made an allegation that John accepted money from her. There was a criminal investigation conducted by the Department of Justice Office of Inspector General (DOJ/OIG). After they figured out that John didn't accept money from her, they changed the investigation to an administrative investigation and accused him of perjury. I think they were trying to get him on anything they could. John cooperated with their investigation and we are still waiting to hear the results of the administrative investigation. Sometime in 2007, John legally sold a rifle from his personal firearms collection to an El Paso Deputy Sheriff. He was later contacted by the ATF who said they recovered the gun in Mexico. John offered to help and provided information about that gun and who he sold it to. The next thing we know, the Department of Justice Office of Inspector General and the ATF had a search warrant for the Shipley house (May of 2008). They seized 28 guns from the house. Nine of the guns were John's grandfather's old guns that were passed down to John. At the time that the search warrant was served, John was accused of dealing firearms without a license, conspiracy, false statements and obstruction of justice. Then in June of 2009, the Assistant United States Attorney in El Paso brought this before the Federal Grand Jury and John was indicted for dealing firearms without a license, causing a federal firearms license holder to have false records and false statements. John is innocent of these charges.

The Assistant United States Attorney's office for the Western District of Texas is the same one who went after the two Border Patrol agents, Ramos and Compean.
The DOJ/OIG agent was the same for the first criminal investigation, the administrative investigation and the criminal gun case.

We feel this is clearly retaliation against John for telling the truth in the Southwest Airlines case.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#21]
So, how does due process work with regard to an appeal if the court is unable to actually review your case due to a member of the court DESTROYING testimony?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO, he was really riding the line as someone who was a dealer by the ATF definition.

The problem, IMHO, is the ATF definitions suck donkey balls. And not just on this, but on every firearms issue.  I really hope that this guy has a good enough lawyer to start demanding that the ATF consistently define things.

(Which will destroy the ATF... oh darn)

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#23]
When this orginally came out I was very harsh where Shipley was concerned and I bought the line that the .Gov put out about his dealing to Cartel Goons. In time I have come to agree that this is another one of those cases of selective interpertation of a BS law along with selective enforcement of said BS law.

In light of what we know about the ATF, it is just a fucking joke....a sad one for Shipley and his family.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone here can actually cite what he did wrong. I don't think he did anything wrong. I think this is just another bullshit case the government created as "precedence" to now say that anyone who sold a couple guns from their personal collection is somehow "dealing". Maybe he ordered the Glock- changed his mind. Other than that- what exactly did he do wrong?

He was assembling SBRs at work/in the office without the correct paperwork.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think anyone here can actually cite what he did wrong. I don't think he did anything wrong. I think this is just another bullshit case the government created as "precedence" to now say that anyone who sold a couple guns from their personal collection is somehow "dealing". Maybe he ordered the Glock- changed his mind. Other than that- what exactly did he do wrong?

is that from the indictment?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Source?  I thought he was mainly buying and selling Title I firearms, not Title II.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was no mention of anything manufacturing or NFA related in the indictment or any of the other documents that I have seen. The only reference to any NFA firearms that I recall was the .30 suppressor that was forfeited with the rest of his collection.

I would love to hear where he heard about that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was no mention of anything manufacturing or NFA related in the indictment or any of the other documents that I have seen. The only reference to any NFA firearms that I recall was the .30 suppressor that was forfeited with the rest of his collection.

this.

also, i'm going to pull his appeal later when i get some time
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Fascinating.  As a network security guy, the first post was particularly intriguing.  It's interesting to know the FBI uses Kroll (formerly OnTrack) for data recovery instead of an in-house lab.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're gonna have to elaborate a bit on that,  I don't think that even came up at trial.

Are you talking about swapping uppers and lowers between FBI guns w/o a Form 10?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#31]
There is a very interesting tidbit about that .50 sale that involves...you guessed it,  the ATF and a CI

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn!

I'm not done.

Do you ever worry about getting Vince Fostered?

Regardless of whether or not Shipley was guilty, the overt evidence "mishandling" is enough to create a good degree of reasonable doubt.

I wouldn't convict.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn!

I'm not done.

Regardless of whether or not Shipley was guilty, the overt evidence "mishandling" is enough to create a good degree of reasonable doubt.

I wouldn't convict.

I don't think I could vote guilty on any firearms only charge from the fedgov. IE - unregistered SBR or having an AK47 with too many foreign parts.

Now, if a TRUE crime was committed while in possession of a gun - robbery, assault, murder - I would convict if the crime was proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And you're upset that two Federal Agents who covered up a shooting were prosecuted?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

also, i'm going to pull his appeal later when i get some time

You would be suprised at how many FBI folks don't know (at least in terms of the specifics) about NFA, and when the subject is mentioned in casual conversation, essentially say they don't really care both in terms of their profession (unless it helps them make a case against someone they believe to be a shitbag) or in their personal lives as it relates to guns.  Someone who is not me, may have show one an AR pistol while putting together a rifle (to compare the BUIS set ups not that that is relavent), and may have goten the question, "why don't you put that short barrel on the one with the stock, [it would be better for close confines (dont remember the eact wording there so I'm paraphrasing)]?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn!

I'm not done.

I wouldn't convict.

nah.  i'm such an inconsequential piece to their overall puzzle.  plus, what could they possibly be upset about?  
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Docket excerpt.  nothing much here.  the exhibits appear to be filed under seal

http://www.scribd.com/doc/83012558/US-v-John-Shipley-Docket-Excerpt

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Inflammatory Prosecutorial Statements and Arguments

Twice during the trial the prosecutor represented to the jury that a firearm thatShipley sold to Luis Armando Rodriguez made its way into Mexico and was used to kill a Mexican military officer – knowing full well that this representation was false.She told the jury that a firearm that Shipley sold to Luis Armando Rodriguez "ended up in a drug shootout in Mexico where it killed somebody." (Supp. #1 USCA 1048)Then, on closing argument, the same prosecutor told the jury with respect to the same firearm, "(w)ell, we know where at least one of those .50-calibers ended up, in a shootout with Mexican traffickers, where a Mexican military officer was killed.That's who used those types of weapons." (Supp. #1 USCA 1492). The other  prosecutor stated on closing argument that Shipley got a phone call during which the caller stated, "Your gun, the one you sold, was recovered at a murder in Mexico."(Supp. #1 USCA 1531) There was no evidence supporting these representations -they were fabricated.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Always Think Forfeiture

MOTION FOR FINDING OF NEXUS BETWEEN THE OFFENSE OF CONVICTION AND THE PROPERTY NOTICED IN GOVERNMENT’S DEMAND FOR FORFEITURE
TO THE HONORABLE JUDGE OF SAID COURT:

Comes now the United States of America, plaintiff, by and through the United States
Attorney for the Western District of Texas and the undersigned Assistant United States Attorney and makes this Motion for Finding of Nexus Between the Offense of Conviction and the Property Noticed in Government’s Demand for Forfeiture, pursuant to the provisions of Title 18 U.S.C. § 924, through Title 28 U.S.C. § 2461, and Rule 32.2 of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure (“Fed. R. Crim. P”), and in support thereof says the following:

On April 14, 2010, a jury found Defendant JOHN THOMAS SHIPLEY guilty of committing the violations of Title 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(1)(A), Title 18 U.S.C. § 924(a)(1)(A) and Title 18 U.S.C. § 1001(a)(3) as charged in Counts (1) through Count (6) of the Indictment that was filed on or about June 24, 2009.
The United States moves the Court to find that the plaintiff, United States of America has proven by the preponderance of the evidence, by virtue of the evidence presented in the criminal case, that the below property (hereinafter “Subject Personal Property”) were firearms and other

Case 3:09-cr-01867-DB Document 66 Filed 04/20/10 Page 2 of 6

property involved in or used in a willful violation of Dealing Firearms Without a License and/or 2) a knowing violation of Causing a Firearms Dealer to Maintain False Records.
Pursuant to Fed.R.Crim.P. 32.2(b)(1)(A) ("As soon as practicable after entering a guilty verdict ... on any count in an indictment ... with regard to which criminal forfeiture is sought, the court shall determine what property is subject to forfeiture under the applicable statute....the court must determine whether the government has established the requisite nexus between the property and the offense").

In support of this Motion the government moves to re-enter all the previous evidence produced during the trial in the instant case. Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 924(d)(1) and 28 U.S.C. § 2461(c), all firearms and other property involved in or used in a willful violation of Dealing Firearms Without a License and/or 2) a knowing violation of Causing a Firearms Dealer to Maintain False Records shall be forfeited to the United States.

Plaintiff United States of America moves this court to find by the preponderance of the evidence the requisite nexus between the subject personal property and the offenses of which the defendant was convicted including but not limited to the following:

1. Rifle, MNF: Remington Arms Company, INC., Type: Rifle, Model: 700, Cal: 308, SN:
G6531735;
2. Rifle, MNF: H-S Precision, INC., Type: Rifle, Model: PRO Series 2000 SA, Cal: 308, FIN:
Black, SN: 3094;
3. Handgun, MNF: Glock GMBH, Type: Pistol, Model: 21, Cal: 45, SN: DNR872US
4 Rifle, MNF: Remington Arms Company, INC., Type: Rifle, Model: 700, Cal: 308, FIN:
Black, SN: E6658039
Case 3:09-cr-01867-DB Document 66 Filed 04/20/10 Page 3 of 6
5. Rifle, MNF: DPMS INC. (Defense Procurement MFG. Services), Type: Rifle , Model: LR- 308, Cal: 308, FIN: Black, SN: 10717;
6. Handgun, MNF: Glock GMBH, Type: Pistol, Model: 36, Cal: 45, SN: DZG207US;
7 Handgun, MNF: Smith & Wesson, Type: Revolver, Model: 686-3, Cal: 357, SN: BNB0549;
8. Handgun, MNF: Glock GMBH, Type: Pistol, Model: 23, Cal: 40, SN: BET894US;
9. Handgun, MNF: Smith & Wesson, Type: Revolver, Model: 27-3, Cal: 357, SN: FBI0971;
10. Handgun, MNF: Springfield Armory, Geneseo, IL, Type: Pistol, Model: 1911-A1, Cal: 45,
FIN: stainless, SN: NM 208816;
11. Handgun, MNF: Kimber, Type: Pistol, Model: Ultra SP II, Cal: 45, FIN: Black, SN:
KUSP0408;
12. Rifle, MNF: Colt, Type: Rifle, Model: AR-15A3, Cal: 223, FIN: Black, SN: LBD001970;
13. Rifle, MNF: DPMS INC. (Defense Procurement MFG. Services), Type: Rifle, Model: LR-
308, Cal: 308, FIN: Black, SN: 6104;
14. Rifle, MNF: Remington Arms Company, INC., Type: Rifle, Model: 700, Cal: 308, FIN:
Black, SN: G6229014;
15. Rifle, MNF: Barrett Firearms MFG CO., Type: Rifle, Model: 82A1, Cal: 50 BMG, FIN:
Black, SN: 20613;
16. Handgun, MNF: Nighthawk Custom, Type: Pistol, Model: Vickers Tactical, Cal: 45, SN:
NC01411;
17. Rifle, MNF: Barrett Firearms MFG CO., Type: Rifle, Model: 82A1NG, Cal: 50 BMG, FIN:
Black, SN: 4974;
18. Silencer:, 1AWC Systems Technology Silencer, Model Thundertrap .30, Serial Number

Case 3:09-cr-01867-DB Document 66 Filed 04/20/10 Page 4 of 6

070564;
19. Ammunition, QTY: 13 rounds, MNF: Remington, Cal: 45;
20. Ammunition, QTY: 6 rounds, MNF: Winchester-Western, Cal: 357;
21. Ammunition, QTY: 14 rounds, MNF: Federal, Cal: 40;
22. Ammunition, QTY: 44 rounds, MNF: Assorted, Cal: 308;
23. Ammunition, QTY: 2,811 rounds, MNF: Assorted, Cal: .50; and
less.

WHEREFORE ALL PREMISES CONSIDERED, the United States of America respectfully moves this Honorable Court to grant its Motion for Finding of Nexus Between the Offenses of Conviction and the Property Noticed in Government’s Demand for Forfeiture by the Preponderance of the Evidence as to defendant JOHN THOMAS SHIPLEY in the instant case.
Respectfully submitted,
.gov

I'm looking at roughly $40,000 worth of toys, which isn't bad on an FBI agent salary.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Twice during the trial the prosecutor represented to the jury that a firearm thatShipley sold to Luis Armando Rodriguez made its way into Mexico and was used to kill a Mexican military officer – knowing full well that this representation was false.She told the jury that a firearm that Shipley sold to Luis Armando Rodriguez "ended up in a drug shootout in Mexico where it killed somebody." (Supp. #1 USCA 1048)Then, on closing argument, the same prosecutor told the jury with respect to the same firearm, "(w)ell, we know where at least one of those .50-calibers ended up, in a shootout with Mexican traffickers, where a Mexican military officer was killed.That's who used those types of weapons." (Supp. #1 USCA 1492). The other  prosecutor stated on closing argument that Shipley got a phone call during which the caller stated, "Your gun, the one you sold, was recovered at a murder in Mexico."(Supp. #1 USCA 1531) There was no evidence supporting these representations -they were fabricated.

Why didnt the Judge smack that down and sanction the prosecutor for those statements?

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This is our real justice system. Very sad indeed!
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why didnt the Judge smack that down and sanction the prosecutor for those statements?

Oh... wait... you were serious.

Actually, I'd like to know that as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh... wait... you were serious.

Actually, I'd like to know that as well.

Yeah, I was.

I know I'm odd and all, what with my archaic sense of integrity and the false belief that my word means something....

But it really wasnt that long ago that a man's word was his bond. Why did that change?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Nolo,  any update on his appeal?

upcoming deadline perhaps?

Thanks for keeping us up to date and juggling all this injustice....
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 2:44:01 PM EDT
[#48]
there will be an update, i think tomorrow is when the .gov brief will be filed
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#49]
12/29/2011 UNOPPOSED MOTION filed by Appellant Mr. John Thomas Shipley [6982692-2]. Date of service: 12/29/2011 via email - Attorney for Appellant: Schydlower; Attorney for Appellee: Gay [10-50856] REVIEWED AND/OR EDITED. UNOPPOSED alternative MOTION to extend time to file brief as appellant for a period of 10 from the court's order denying his motion to file brief in excess of the page limit [6982692-3]. [10-50856] (Leon Schydlower )

12/29/2011 RECORD EXCERPTS FILED by Appellant Mr. John Thomas Shipley. Date of service: 12/29/2011 via email - Attorney for Appellant: Schydlower; Attorney for Appellee: Gay [10-50856] REVIEWED AND/OR EDITED.. # of Copies Provided: 0 Paper Copies of Record Excerpts due on 01/04/2012 for Appellant John Thomas Shipley. [10-50856] (Leon Schydlower )

12/29/2011 APPELLANT'S BRIEF FILED by Mr. John Thomas Shipley Date of service: 12/29/2011 via email - Attorney for Appellant: Schydlower; Attorney for Appellee: Gay [10-50856] REVIEWED AND/OR EDITED. Additionally the Brief is in excess pages- MOTION PENDING WITH COURT. # of Copies Provided: 0 A/Pet's Brief deadline satisfied. Sufficient Brief due on 01/12/2012 for Appellant John Thomas Shipley. [10-50856] (Leon Schydlower )

01/05/2012 COURT ORDER - Appellant’s unopposed motion for leave to file brief in excess of the 30 page limitation is GRANTED. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that appellant’s unopposed alternative motion to extend time to file a conformed brief for 10 days from the denial of the motion to file brief in excess pages is DENIED AS MOOT. [6982692-2]; [6982692-3]; [6986449-2] Appellee's Brief due on 02/07/2012 for Appellee United States of America Judge(s): JWE. [10-50856] (NFD)

01/05/2012 BRIEF MADE SUFFICIENT filed by Appellant Mr. John Thomas Shipley in 10-50856 [6982697-2]. Additional number of copies provided: 0 Sufficient Brief deadline satisfied. Paper Copies of Brief due on 01/10/2012 for Appellant John Thomas Shipley. [10-50856] (NFD)

01/05/2012   Paper copies of appellant brief filed by Appellant Mr. John Thomas Shipley in 10-50856 received. Paper copies match electronic version of document? Yes # of Copies Provided: 7. Paper Copies of Brief due deadline satisfied. [10-50856] (RSM)

01/05/2012   Paper copies of record excerpts filed by Appellant Mr. John Thomas Shipley in 10-50856 received. Paper copies match electronic version of document? Yes # of Copies Provided: 4. Paper Copies of Record Excerpts due deadline satisfied. [10-50856] (RSM)

01/26/2012   PHONE EXTENSION CONFIRMED for Appellee USA. Extension granted to and including 03/08/2012. E/Res's Brief deadline updated to 03/08/2012 for Appellee United States of America [10-50856] (MCS)

03/08/2012 UNOPPOSED MOTION filed by Appellee USA to extend time to file brief of appellee until 04/09/2012 at 11:59 pm [7033900-2]. Date of service: 03/08/2012 via email - Attorney for Appellant: Schydlower; Attorney for Appellee: Gay [10-50856] (Joseph H. Gay Jr.)

03/09/2012 CLERK ORDER granting in part motion to extend time to file appellee's brief filed by Appellee USA [7033900-2] E/Res's Brief deadline updated to 03/23/2012 for Appellee United States of America. [10-50856] (RSM)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top