Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
With the way things are up here, I hope someone has the balls to smack people around. No one is doing it to Granholm, GM failed...Ford will be next.

GM pwn3d the union in the last round. They got just about everything they wanted.

You think? To me, it looked like they got bullied into higher costs..and in the end us paying more for inferior products.

I know a lot of people who arent going to be paying any higher cost, because they wont be buying any more US made cars.

Good point.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I predict Bob Nardelli will tell them where they can take their 72 hour warning and things will get very rough for the UAW.

If you work for Chrysler I give you fair warning, the man only cares about raw numbers and he will squeeze the entire company to the brink of collapse to get what he wants out of it.

If the UAW does get their way look for alot of turnover in the executive management of Chrysler as Nardelli will drive those that dont take a hard line with his goals out of the company.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I predict Bob Nardelli will tell them where they can take their 72 hour warning and things will get very rough for the UAW.

If you work for Chrysler I give you fair warning, the man only cares about raw numbers and he will squeeze the entire company to the brink of collapse to get what he wants out of it.

If the UAW does get their way look for alot of turnover in the executive management of Chrysler as Nardelli will drive those that dont take a hard line with his goals out of the company.

+1

Things are, or should be, very different for Chrysler now - they are a private company now.  They need to beat the shit out of the UAW once and for all.

THIS is why I believe the UAW didn't want to negotiate with Chrysler first, before GM.  They wanted to set a mark.  

Chrysler should f**king frame-throw that mark and set a good business standard.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang!!!!

UAW, Chrysler Settle After Brief Strike
Wednesday October 10, 6:21 pm ET
By Tom Krisher and Dee-Ann Durbin, AP Auto Writers  
UAW Reaches Tentative Four-Year Contract With Chrysler, Hours After Members Go on Strike

DETROIT (AP) -- The United Auto Workers union reached a tentative four-year contract with Chrysler Wednesday, hours after going out on strike and the same day General Motors workers ratified a separate four-year pact.

Next up: Ford.

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger said the strike against Chrysler LLC, 80.1 percent owned by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP, would end immediately and workers should report for their next available shift.

"This agreement was made possible because UAW workers made it clear to Chrysler that we needed an agreement that rewards the contributions they have made to the success of this company," Gettelfinger said in a statement.

Gettelfinger wouldn't release any details of the contract, but Chrysler said the tentative agreement includes the establishment of a UAW-managed trust that will administer retiree health care. The newly private company didn't say how much money it will contribute to the trust.

"The national agreement is consistent with the economic pattern and balances the needs of our employees and company by providing a framework to improve our long-term manufacturing competitiveness," Chrysler Vice President and Chairman Tom LaSorda said in a statement.

The UAW said its historic contract with GM, which also includes a retiree health care trust, was approved by 66 percent of production workers and 64 percent of skilled trades workers.

The deal, reached Sept. 26 after a two-day nationwide strike, establishes lower pay for some workers and makes promises for future work at U.S. plants.

UAW members at 19 of 24 U.S. Chrysler factories and several other facilities left their jobs for the picket lines at 11 a.m. Wednesday.

Among the major issues in the Chrysler talks were the retiree health care trust; the company's desire to outsource parts-trucking jobs; promises that future products will be built at U.S. factories; and parity with health care concessions that were given to Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. two years ago.

A majority of Chrysler workers will have to ratify the tentative agreement before it can take effect. Ford will be the final automaker to bargain with the UAW.

Chrysler became a private company shortly after the contract talks began in July. Cerberus bought its share of Chrysler from the former DaimlerChrysler AG in a $7.4 billion transaction in August. Chrysler is now a private company without publicly traded shares.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Well that sure didn't last long, did it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
With the way things are up here, I hope someone has the balls to smack people around. No one is doing it to Granholm, GM failed...Ford will be next.

GM pwn3d the union in the last round. They got just about everything they wanted.

You think? To me, it looked like they got bullied into higher costs..and in the end us paying more for inferior products.

GM offloaded a HUGE amount of their obligations, and I've read estimates that it runs to something like $2k per car in savings/profit. Which I read they may simply roll into the cars, furnishing them nicer so people will consider them again. Particularly the interiors, something GM has long been (rightfully) dissed for.

This link seems to think that GM will save about $2 BILLION per year...

Plus - going off memory here - they structured the contract so new hires have a lower starting wage as well.

GM definitely held all the cards here. Can you recall a time when the Union caved and allowed a wage DECREASE?

The crappy thing for the rank-and-file is, though, having this huge VEBA thing run by the Union is... not exactly a recipe for success, but they're free to run it and GM is free and clear of it...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

F150 engine: made in Canada
F150 transmission: made in Mexico
F150 rear-end: made in Canada
F150 Aluminum wheels: made in China

now it may be that all of the screws and bolts and washers are made in USA, but the high dollar parts are not.

2001 F150 rear leaf springs:  Hecho En Mexico stenciled in white paint.  It isnt just the big parts.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

F150 engine: made in Canada
F150 transmission: made in Mexico
F150 rear-end: made in Canada
F150 Aluminum wheels: made in China

now it may be that all of the screws and bolts and washers are made in USA, but the high dollar parts are not.

2001 F150 rear leaf springs:  Hecho En Mexico stenciled in white paint.  It isnt just the big parts.

Fog light is probably made in Mexico. At least the ones I designed for the 99-2003 version were. Headlights and Tail lights made in Sandusky Ohio though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top