Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The US should weaponize the Falcon Heavy. Just fill that thing with as many W87/88 as possible.

It could be named Nuke Bukkake.
View Quote

Starship. 200 tons to LEO. Just fill it full and park it in orbit. 90 minutes to damnation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The US should weaponize the Falcon Heavy. Just fill that thing with as many W87/88 as possible.

It could be named Nuke Bukkake.
View Quote

As cool as it would be, we grew out of liquid fueled missiles in the 60s for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What makes you think we're only testing an ICBM?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point what does it prove to show we're capable of launching a missile?

Spacex launches them about once a week.

That’s my point with all of Space X’s tests, are they really commercial?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They are putting up a ton of satellites for SPACECOM. It's not even remotely secret. They put a bunch up just a few days ago.

https://www.space.com/spacex-launch-space-force-second-tranche-0-mission

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point what does it prove to show we’re capable of launching a missile?

Well it also makes one wonder if Space X is testing more then commercial rockets?

They are putting up a ton of satellites for SPACECOM. It's not even remotely secret. They put a bunch up just a few days ago.

I’m aware of that, but allot of their testing could be (air fingers) commercial but really next generation ICBM’s? How better to hide something then the private sector in plain sight?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  Quite a bit are for government customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_and_Falcon_Heavy_launches
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’m aware of that, but allot of their testing could be (air fingers) commercial but really next generation ICBM’s? How better to hide something then the private sector in plain sight?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it also makes one wonder if Space X is testing more then commercial rockets?

When was the last liquid fueled ICBM we fielded?  On top of that, how useful is a a system that uses supercooled LOX that has a usable time measured in minutes as an ICBM?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When was the last liquid fueled ICBM we fielded?  On top of that, how useful is a a system that uses supercooled LOX that has a usable time measured in minutes as an ICBM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Titan ll
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love, and have zero clue as to whether it's true or not, the idea that Starlink launches are also carrying a few Brilliant Pebbles with them.  Even better if a bit of the Starlink bandwidth is dedicated to linking the interceptors.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Titan ll
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Titan ll

True, and storable liquid propellants like N2O4 and UDMH are nasty enough to handle that they could do double duty as chemical weapons.  LOX/LH2 are too much of a PITA that deal with in a silo or mobile military rocket use.

Still, once it's up in orbit, who cares?  And you could do that ahead of time, were it not for treaties against things like FOBS.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not trying to be an ass here but are they all liquid? I honestly don’t know? Could Elon be doing some solid fuel and were just not privy to it? Slap a paint job like all the rest, and to anyone it would be just “another” test.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m not trying to be an ass here but are they all liquid? I honestly don’t know? Could Elon be doing some solid fuel and were just not privy to it? Slap a paint job like all the rest, and to anyone it would be just “another” test.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't really throttle a solid rocket motor, though people certainly have tried, (turning it off, then back on, is a major accomplishment) and much finer propulsion control is essential to having the stage be recoverable.  Plus the exhaust would look different.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's my point with all of Space X's tests, are they really commercial?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you missed the point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I got the point, I was asking more so about my point in order to learn more on what I don’t know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd rather see one pop out of a Kansas cornfield and evaporate an island in SE Asia.  That's a real test, not some gamed rig that's been gone over hundreds of times to ensure success.

Lil Kim (and a few others) might get the fucking message.   I know it'll never happen as no one in power has the testicular fortitude to upset the status quo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We signed the space treaty, so no nuke stationing in orbit.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd rather see one pop out of a Kansas cornfield and evaporate an island in SE Asia.  That's a real test, not some gamed rig that's been gone over hundreds of times to ensure success.

Lil Kim (and a few others) might get the fucking message.   I know it'll never happen as no one in power has the testicular fortitude to upset the status quo.
View Quote

And if it fails during launch?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#18]
FCET’s happen all the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No, I got the point, I was asking more so about my point in order to learn more on what I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I got the point, I was asking more so about my point in order to learn more on what I don't know.

No you didn't.  You're still focused on launches and rockets.  You still don't get it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Starship. 200 tons to LEO. Just fill it full and park it in orbit. 90 minutes to damnation.
View Quote

plausible deniability

that isn't my starship

the insurance claims for that non act of war will be a second apocalyptic event
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No you didn't.  You're still focused on launches and rockets.  You still don't get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not sure what your point is, but I’m referring to some questions I had and since there seems to be some knowledgeable people I simply made some statements that I wondered myself about. I’m not sure where it’s written you can’t ask other questions in the same thread that is basically to learn. I will admit that I don’t know allot of the technical but I’d like to learn more. I’m not focused on launch or rockets but I  very interested in all of this. For me, not knowing why, it would seem like a good cover using a civilian corporation to hide shit, the CIA did it all the time and probably still do. How does one learn without being wrong and have the willingness to learn?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are they going to send their space shuttle up there to capture one and bring it back as evidence?
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And if it fails during launch?
View Quote

The same results will occur either way (test or war response) so you make the same assurances that it won't.

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are they going to send their space shuttle up there to capture one and bring it back as evidence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, we would just have a lot of egg on our face when the USSF Guardian of the month, Laquesha Jackson, crashes one into Kamcheka.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As cool as it would be, we grew out of liquid fueled missiles in the 60s for a reason.
View Quote

Reasons (plural), and we didn’t finish retiring the Titan IIs until the mid 80’s.

Nitpicks aside, your point stands.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Reasons (plural), and we didn't finish retiring the Titan IIs until the mid 80's.

View Quote
Yeah, I had it in my head they lived on under other monikers as non-defense lift platforms.

Or something lol

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#28]
The launch of a test ICBM missile from the Pacific Ocean is successfully countered by the launch of a interceptor missile from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

Raw: Pentagon Releases Video of ICBM Test

EKV/KV/KW/KKV/LEAP (Exoatmospheric Kill Vehicles) Hover Test - Compilation Video (SM-3, GBI, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The launch of a test ICBM missile from the Pacific Ocean is successfully countered by the launch of a interceptor missile from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JtVp-YCAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnofCyaWhI0
View Quote

Naw that's fake news.

As is this, from Japan, from 16 years ago
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Reasons (plural), and we didn’t finish retiring the Titan IIs until the mid 80’s.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We deployed 54 of them vs. 1000 Minutemen.  As I understand it, the only reason the Titan II remained in service as long as it did was because the 9MT warheads made up a disproportionate amount of our total ICBM “throw weight “ and withdrawing them would look bad on paper.  Somewhat similar to the way we re-designated a bunch of ships in 1975 to “solve” the cruiser gap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:12:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah, I had it in my head they lived on under other monikers as non-defense lift platforms.

Or something lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reasons (plural), and we didn't finish retiring the Titan IIs until the mid 80's.

Or something lol

True for the decommissioned MX motors, which were turned into Minotaur launch rockets.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#33]
This is now an Ice Cold Beer Machine thread.  Beer vending machines in Japan check ID now.  Last time I was there, 1990 IIRC, you just had to drop enough coins in and they would cheerfully drop a cold one for you.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JtVp-YCAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnofCyaWhI0
View Quote

Shouldn't that be the other way around? MMIII launches from Vandenburg, interceptor launches from the Pacific?  Barking Sands comes to mind, though maybe they just track them?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think we'll see ABMs being capable enough to upset the MAD apple cart in our lifetimes. The advancement in missile defense technology has been incredible.
View Quote

Which as, the argument goes, makes them more likely to be used. But yes I wouldn’t be surprised if ICBMs became obsolete at some point
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Which as, the argument goes, makes them more likely to be used. But yes I wouldn’t be surprised if ICBMs became obsolete at some point
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we'll see ABMs being capable enough to upset the MAD apple cart in our lifetimes. The advancement in missile defense technology has been incredible.

Putin argued they were 5 years ago at their version of the state of the Union address.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#37]
What could he know but not be willing to reveal?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mammoth cost delta. Especially since warhead costs are essentially sunk cost.

ABM tech ALWAYS created MAD issues, and the answers to ABM were more destabilizing than MAD itself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

A road or even rail mobile ICBM system could, under lots of circumstances, achieve the ends of a SSBN at a fraction of the cost.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shouldn't that be the other way around? MMIII launches from Vandenburg, interceptor launches from the Pacific?  Barking Sands comes to mind, though maybe they just track them?
View Quote

CA only launches interceptors in wartime. So for a real test you need to launch an ICMB from downrange to simulate an incoming missile attack.

Link Posted: 9/8/2023 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

True for the decommissioned MX motors, which were turned into Minotaur launch rockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

loathe as I am to quote wiki:
Titan 23G
Main article: Titan 23G

Starting in the late 1980s, some of the deactivated Titan IIs were converted into space launch vehicles to be used for launching U.S. Government payloads. Titan 23G rockets consisted of two stages burning liquid propellant. The first stage was powered by one Aerojet LR87 engine with two combustion chambers and nozzles, and the second stage was propelled by an LR91. On some flights, the spacecraft included a kick motor, usually the Star-37XFP-ISS; however, the Star-37S was also used.[23]

Thirteen were launched from Space Launch Complex 4W (SLC-4W) at Vandenberg Air Force Base starting in 1988.[23] The final such vehicle launched a Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) weather satellite on 18 October 2003.[24]

plus I think some hybrids that launched classified payloads, too. That says the liquid only setups were going into 03. I don't know, not really an area I research past the fact my grampa worked on many of those launch systems, and I regularly wished I had been smart enough to pick his brains about it, as young as I was.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A road or even rail mobile ICBM system could, under lots of circumstances, achieve the ends of a SSBN at a fraction of the cost.
View Quote
way out of my lane, but do you honestly think so?

ignorant counterpoint: idiot misguided protestors did a bangup job of interfering with rail-based nuc shipments in the 80s. Imagine what they could do with a shower of apple tags from the first overpass nearest the mobile pen?

...Unless you are suggesting that tech exists to box in subs now; which I have suspected for a long time. No one is spending that kind of coin investing in overhead sensory just to figure out how well grass is growing in the fucking sahara; I think they have been trying to figure out where they ain't to figure out where they are, and I bet it will be as simple as gases that can't be contained showing as plumes of... something in the middle of water where it normally wouldn't be.

or fish. Birds may be liars, but fish are known blabbermouths.

wait. am i posting in the sub or the missile or nuc threads?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
way out of my lane, but do you honestly think so?

View Quote

Depends on circumstances.

For a European country? Probably not. They mostly will continue to choose the SSBN basket to put the majority of eggs.

For nations with large empty stretches of terrain? Yeah, we're getting warming.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 3:04:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is now an Ice Cold Beer Machine thread.  Beer vending machines in Japan check ID now.  Last time I was there, 1990 IIRC, you just had to drop enough coins in and they would cheerfully drop a cold one for you.

https://d1nwfvw9iqnfnz.cloudfront.net/gowithguide/posts/330/4466.jpg
View Quote

I'll have to see if I can find my picture of the one on Wake Island at lodging.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all. Not even close. Not even a little bit.

Most of the reasons we ended Nike and Safegaurd, still exist. Add to those newer problems like precision guidance, stealth, cyber, EW, HGV and HCM. If anything, the offense is further ahead than ever.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ABM tech ALWAYS created MAD issues, and the answers to ABM were more destabilizing than MAD itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. These were the main reasons for ending Nike Zeus and Safeguard ABM. That plus the fact that even if costs were similar, the offense would always smoke the defense 15 different ways.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty regular occurrence

Missile Launch: California's Vandenberg Air Force Base fires off a Minuteman III
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#48]
See if you can catch the REALLY interesting comment in this video:

ICBM | Unarmed Minuteman III GT-247 Launches from Vandenberg
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 4