Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I agree with the UN on this one. If the defendants were not allowed to speak with the consulate, then he should have been able to do so. Beyond a reasonable doubt, right?
This could set a precedent. What will happen to an American citizen abroad when he gets pinched for a crime? The other country can use this action by the US to forbid Americans from contacting the US Embassy.
You guys need to look at the big picture. I'm not saying, "Stop the execution." I'm just saying that the cases should be reviewed. I, honestly doubt a case review will turn up anything, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

The same law that applies to Americans was applied.  On appeal, you have to argue not only that the lower court made a mistake, but that it would have changed the outcome.  Whether he had consulted the consulate or not the outcome would have been the same.  The evidence was overwhelming and they had a confession.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They may send in U.N. Peacekeepers to enforce the order.  What will Texans do?

Don't get us excited

a couple of us with mud splattered pick-em ups may come a callin'  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I agree with the UN on this one. If the defendants were not allowed to speak with the consulate, then he should have been able to do so. Beyond a reasonable doubt, right?
This could set a precedent. What will happen to an American citizen abroad when he gets pinched for a crime? The other country can use this action by the US to forbid Americans from contacting the US Embassy.
You guys need to look at the big picture. I'm not saying, "Stop the execution." I'm just saying that the cases should be reviewed. I, honestly doubt a case review will turn up anything, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

IIRC, the oh noes! I need to speak to a Mehican official!!! was an appeal strategy.  He never once mentioned his status, nor expressed any interest in speaking to mehicans until his lawyer dreamed it up.

Do they wipe the skin with alcohol before they stick in the needle?  Always wondered that.  
(one of George Carlins funnier comments)
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The murders were commited in 1993 and the bastard's victims have been dead for 15 years; this case has been reviewed for long enough.

It's past time to Inject.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

the case has been reviewed several times. they have had full use of the defensive arm of the laws of the United States and the STate of Texas...

enough is enough..public hanging should be returned to texas as well..
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The same law that applies to Americans was applied.  On appeal, you have to argue not only that the lower court made a mistake, but that it would have changed the outcome.  Whether he had consulted the consulate or not the outcome would have been the same.  The evidence was overwhelming and they had a confession.

Well, what's Mexico's problem?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
...the only state that has kicked another country's ass...

Y'all done it before and y'all can do it again.

Besides, you got Louisiana, New Mexico, Arkansas and us at your back when the blue helmets come.

And that would make for one fine hey-diddle-diddle.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This will end well.

Good for Texas!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]

On Monday, U.S. Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., filed a bill providing for such reviews. As of Wednesday, it was in committee.

Weeks after the Supreme Court's ruling, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey jointly wrote Perry asking for his help in obtaining the reviews.

The United States, they wrote, continues to be bound by the world court's decision under international law.

Fuck you, Berman.

Fuck you, Rice.

Fuck you, Mukasey.

Fuck you, Bush.

Apparently none of you have heard of the concept of Federalism.  This is a state matter and the feds need to worry about their own damn obligations.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't like the death penalty.  This is all a big game to find some reason to save the sicko's life.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this a serious question?   We all know what mexico's problem is.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't like the death penalty.  This is all a big game to find some reason to save the sicko's life.  

Fair enough.
Personally I don't think the .gov should be executing people. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

On Monday, U.S. Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., filed a bill providing for such reviews. As of Wednesday, it was in committee.

Weeks after the Supreme Court's ruling, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey jointly wrote Perry asking for his help in obtaining the reviews.

The United States, they wrote, continues to be bound by the world court's decision under international law.

Fuck you, Berman.

Fuck you, Rice.

Fuck you, Mukasey.

Fuck you, Bush.

Apparently none of you have heard of the concept of Federalism.  This is a state matter and the feds need to worry about their own damn obligations.

+1

State's matter and jurisdiction.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

That's because you don't know any better. We won't hold it against you, though. If you've lived in CA all your life, you can't help being not raised right.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

That's because you don't know any better. We won't hold it against you, though. If you've lived in CA all your life, you can't help being not raised right.

Wow. What the fuck do you know about me, where and how I was raised?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
fuck the UN. good for Texas.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
if the blue helmets start coming in is their going to be a mass migration of ARFCOMMER's to texas to finally ventilate some blue helmets?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#18]
The U.N. is a joke....

I'd love to see them mess with Texas!

Let me know when and where, I'll glady join in for some blue helmet target practice!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The murders happened in '93, and this is '08. They have had more than their share of appeals. Err on the side of caution?  What does talking with his consulate have to do with reasonable doubt as to whether he did the crime? GET REAL!!!!

Read the report below yours. If you agree with the UN on this one, please feel free to move the fuck out of America, and leave it for Americans, not UN loving traitors.

BW
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The U.N. is a joke....

I'd love to see them mess with Texas!

Let me know when and where, I'll glady join in for some blue helmet target practice!

save some for me damn
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The murders happened in '93, and this is '08. They have had more than their share of appeals. Err on the side of caution?  What does talking with his consulate have to do with reasonable doubt as to whether he did the crime? GET REAL!!!!

Read the report below yours. If you agree with the UN on this one, please feel free to move the fuck out of America, and leave it for Americans, not UN loving traitors.

BW

+ Eleventy Billion.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wow. What the fuck do you know about me, where and how I was raised?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
hu·mor   Audio Help   /ˈhyumər or, often, ˈyu-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hyoo-mer or, often, yoo-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a comic, absurd, or incongruous quality causing amusement: the humor of a situation.  
2. the faculty of perceiving what is amusing or comical: He is completely without humor.  
3. an instance of being or attempting to be comical or amusing; something humorous: The humor in his joke eluded the audience.  
4. the faculty of expressing the amusing or comical: The author's humor came across better in the book than in the movie.  
5. comical writing or talk in general; comical books, skits, plays, etc.  
6. humors, peculiar features; oddities; quirks: humors of life.  
7. mental disposition or temperament.  
8. a temporary mood or frame of mind: The boss is in a bad humor today.  
9. a capricious or freakish inclination; whim or caprice; odd trait.  
10. (in medieval physiology) one of the four elemental fluids of the body, blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile, regarded as determining, by their relative proportions, a person's physical and mental constitution.  
11. any animal or plant fluid, whether natural or morbid, as the blood or lymph.  
–verb (used with object) 12. to comply with the humor or mood of in order to soothe or make content or more agreeable: to humor a child.  
13. to adapt or accommodate oneself to.  
—Idiom14. out of humor, displeased; dissatisfied; cross: The chef is feeling out of humor again and will have to be treated carefully.  

Also, especially British, humour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1300–50; ME (h)umour < AF < L (h)ūmōr- (s. of (h)ūmor) moisture, fluid (medical L: body fluid), equiv. to (h)ūm(ére) to be wet (see humid) + -ōr- -or1]

—Related forms
hu·mor·ful, adjective
hu·mor·less, adjective
hu·mor·less·ly, adverb
hu·mor·less·ness, noun
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
There are legitimate reasons to oppose the death penalty.  Let's not turn this into a flame war.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#24]
God I love Texas.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the case has been reviewed several times. they have had full use of the defensive arm of the laws of the United States and the STate of Texas...

enough is enough..public hanging should be returned to texas as well..

and some of their lawyers were paid by the Government of Mexico.  douglasmorris99 was right:  the entire "denied the chance to talk to the Consulate" was just a appeal ploy tried at the last minute.  None of these shitheads ever asked to talk to anyone.

I am getting sort of old now.  The odds of me living long enough to see attacks by the undead, alien invasions, or a big assed Cloverfield jumping out of Galveston Bay all seem a little remote, so an invasion of Texas by the UN might be my last chance for some drama.  And no, I don't want a hurricane to drum up some excitement:  I don't like the thought of no A/C.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Those two young girls were raped, beaten, tortured, sodomized and then killed, all in the name of some "gang initiation."  The sooner the needle is given, the better (old sparky is retired and on display in the prison museum in Huntsville)

Old Sparky might be retired, but "Old Squirtie" is warmed up and ready to go.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Meh! Probably send one Texas Ranger to hand their asses to them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Only one good solution.....they should kick the US out of the UN  

it would only be right for us to no longer be a member
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#29]
double tap..sorry duno why it keeps doin that
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll shorten it
Elizabeth Pena, 16, and Jennifer Ertman, 14

At about 11:30 p.m., the two girls walked by.  Jose Medellin grabbed Pena and dragged her down a hill. She screamed for help. Ertman tried to help Pena, but Medellin grabbed her and dragged her down the hill as well.

The boys then raped both girls for more than an hour before beating and strangling them.

Their bodies, which were left in the woods, were discovered four days later, decomposing rapidly in the sweltering Houston summer heat.

O'Brien was caught on videotape. He was smiling.

O'Brien confessed that he and the other gang members raped both of the girls.

He also confessed that he and Jose Medellin strangled Ertman.

They wrapped his red nylon belt around her neck, then he pulled at one end while Medellin pulled at the other, until the belt snapped in two.

In addition to both girls being raped and strangled, Ertman had three fractured ribs, and Pena had one tooth that was fractured and several that were missing

A jury convicted O'Brien of the capital murder of Jennifer Ertman in April 1994 and sentenced him to death.

Four of the other assailants that night were also convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death.

"I am sorry. I have always been sorry," O'Brien said in his last statement. "It is the worst mistake that I ever made in my whole life." The lethal injection was then started. He was pronounced dead at 6:19 p.m.

Adolfo Pena, Elizabeth's father, watched O'Brien die. When asked if he witnessed any "excruciating pain," Pena answered, "I didn't see any suffering ... he just closed his eyes and went to sleep."

"I wish to God my daughter could have died like that."

Yeah, I felt that...wow...

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck the damn world court of communists. Tell them to shove it. I read what that animal did to that girl. He needs to be removed from the face of the earth-period.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#32]
The UN can go blow a DEAD GOAT as far as I am concerned, preferably a Texas goat
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

Your credibilty has just dropped to 0.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Shit, I'll hitchhike all the way down from Seattle to lend you guys a hand if the Bluehats show up...

On one condition: I get to shoot a deer on King Ranch.

Your credibilty has just gone to 0.

Now, be nice - there are reasonable arguments in support of his position.  Like, the fact that our government was created the way it is as a defense against the inherent imperfection of all human governments, and that therefore giving an imperfect authority the legal power to kill is questionably rational.

But when the fucker confesses, his ass is grass in my book.

Or in this case, mesquite.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I love Texas.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The UN can go blow a DEAD GOAT as far as I am concerned, preferably a Texas goat

no that would be demeaning (sp?) towards the goat
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#37]

-p.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
if the blue helmets start coming in is their going to be a mass migration of ARFCOMMER's to texas to finally ventilate some blue helmets?

Sounds good to me. We'll be glad to have ya'll!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#39]
fuck the UN.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get us excited

i laughed for about five minutes at this response, you TX guys rule!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough.

Your credibilty has just dropped to 0.

So its worth about as much as your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank God for Texans and Texas. Count me in when the blue hat pussies show up -- this could be fun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#43]
If the UN came Tx would gain some more territory
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Texas... Don't fuck with us.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I dropped back in with a thought: WTF does the UN think it's going to do?

It's the coalition of nations that cannot win against a bunch of Somalians, and they want to go against the only state that has kicked another country's ass?

Some things just need sayin twice.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Those two young girls were raped, beaten, tortured, sodomized and then killed, all in the name of some "gang initiation."  The sooner the needle is given, the better (old sparky is retired and on display in the prison museum in Huntsville)

But what will happen when a US citizen rapes, beats, tortures and sodomizes an underage girl in a foreign country?

Oh wait, I don't care...
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
On one condition: I get to shoot a deer on King Ranch.

Got $10,000?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Ya'll need us Tennesseans to help out down there again, let us know.

(Save a couple of them blue's for me!)

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I will gladly hop on a plane and spend a few weeks in TX.

~ Your neighbor from the north

Sounds like a plan, maybe a road trip? its only 15 hrs away
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:39:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Of course!  They're the next best thing to zombies!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top