Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been without TV for a little over 3 years. Basically, I got into a spat with the cable company after an ice storm. The storm knocked out all power. So no TV. Well when they finally fixed the power (two weeks later) I find that the cable had gotten knocked out as well. So I call those morons and tell them. They send me a bill for those two weeks anyway. I said "Hey, I'm not paying you to stare at a blank screen." Long story short they insisted that because I didn't tell them the cable was out, that I was still responsible for paying it. Powers out, how the hell would I know that I don't have cable if I can't turn on the TV in the first place?!

Anyway, I told them to come get their box. (digital cable) They set up appointments 3 times and never showed, so I said F**K 'EM and tossed their box in the garbage.

Haven't had TV since and quite frankly with the exception of the History channel and the like, I don't miss it.

That being said I don't think "my way" is any better than anyone who does watch TV. I've simply substituted other "wastes of time." They may sit are stare at a TV screen, but I sit and stare at a computer screen. How exactly does that make me any better than them?  It doesn't.

Election time makes me REALLY glad I don't have to see those commercials though!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was actually thinking about turning off arfcom for two weeks. I have a much greater addiction to that than I do my telly.

+1 ... I've tried ... and failed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I went without a TV for about six years ... then recently I bought a tuner card for my pc.

I like being able to turn on the local news in the mornings and evenings.

I also watch a couple of shows on saturday and sunday.

Other than that, I blow all of my couch potato time in front of the PC.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Try this:

Turn off the TV, do NOT watch it for 2 weeks.  

Get all of your news from the net or the radio.  Surfing ARF a bunch is "ok".

When you find yourself feeling "bored", go for a walk, or a drive, or go shooting.  DO NOT TURN ON THE TV!!!!

NEVER turn on the TV for TWO WEEKS.

Experience Reality.  If you don't like it, you definately won't like it 5 years from now, so start practicing!

Those who wish to rise to such a "lofty goal" are more than welcome to post in this thread.  Those who think the concept is a bit on the far side of insane are also welcome to post.

I have not "watched TV" in my ENTIRE LIFE.  I watched the Drew Carry show or whatnot if it was on when I was around in the shop, but I never scheduled my life around "what show is on next?"

Then again, I am a bit wierd.  Maybe this is because I am out of touch with the "reality" that TV has everybody living in.

GIVE IT A SHOT, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!

HAVEN'T WATCHED TELEVISION FOR OVER TWO YEARS.......fuck TV.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try this:

About all I use my telly for is the VCR and DVD player.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
One question,  does this mean I have to turn it on first?

If that is the case, I'd rather not play.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
And miss

Kenny Blankenship painful elimantions of the day.

No way !

American shooter

No way !
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was actually thinking about turning off arfcom for two weeks. I have a much greater addiction to that than I do my telly.

Same here. I get the shakes when ARFKOM goes down...

.....where's that animation with the bottle, drinking?.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#10]
We got rid of TV in our house in 1997 when the TV broke. We lived without it until 2002, when Mrs. Bigbux, my wife, bought a new TV/DVD/VCR w/DirecTV (sp?). Two months of the filth and garbage were enough- one day I went outside, cut the cable of the dish in two, took the dish off the side of our house, threw it in the trash, and told the DirecTV people "No more". Life is better without TV. One learns to think for oneself without it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#11]
As boring as this place is (my home, town) I think if I didn't watch a little TV and play some video games I might go insane.  I only watch one and a half hours of TV a day (two and a half if 24 is on) and play some games off and on during the day.  I still experience reality quite often.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been thinking about doing exactly that for a while now. Problem is, I work nights & I have to stay awake. That's a rule my boss gave me. I can read ,or watch tv. I can do just about anything to keep myself amused but I must stay awake. I stopped drinking coffee because it was giving me heart palapatations, so I have no artificial stimulus to help. My eyes aren't what they used to be, & I need glasses to read now. I feel sleepy after just about 10 minutes of reading, so I can't read all night. Tv seems to be something that works for me, but sometimes it's so boering I have trouble staying awake even with it on.
I do feel like my life revolves to much on stinking tv. but I feel trapped in the viscious cycle of tv zombizim.
I wish somtimes I still lived in Wi, so I could walk in the woods or go to the state park that was in my old town. It seems there is no place near by for me to spend time, or go shooting. I got my 1st box of Tannerite almost 3 months ago & haven't been able to go shoot any of it yet, because of lack of places to shoot.
I have a 6 yr old son, & I feel like I'm not being the man I should for him. I'm overweight, & way to inactive. I have a large screen tv in the living room, & a flat screen tv in my bed room. My son has a 36" tv in his room for video games & cartoons. So 3 ot of 5 rooms in my house have tv's.
I really appreciate your post topic, & thought of doing the same thing from my angle, & ask for help with how to, & what 2 afterwards. Thanks for the ideas Brasspile.

I would like to chuck it all & take my family to live in a log cabin in the remote areas of America. I'm so tiered of waisting my life stuck to the brain sucker.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I am weak.  When I have a TV, I will watch it constantly.  I haven't owned one for 5 years, and I haven't missed it one day.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Can I turn it on on saturdays for Surviving Nuget?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like to clarify, I didn't start this thread with the "I don't watch TV so I am better than you" attitude.

I started this thread for two reasons:

The number of threads revolving around TV shows, I got no clue what they are talking about.

I go over to a friends house, and they are all sitting around watching some friggin sitcom thing that was very pro-"sexual choices", darker and darker "humor" (still worth a chuckle, but lines get pushed), a stupid string of commercials that is as long as the entire show (History Channel EXEMPT from that statement), and basically everything I see "sad" in America as far as kids, attitudes, etc.

It was a suggestion.  If you watch a bunch of TV, try something different.  I guess after not really watching it, I remember watching MASH and Cheers when I was a kid off and on, those were pretty good shows.  Then I see what is "standard" today, and I am kind of shocked.

All of TV isn't "evil".  It is Very Liberal in most all aspects, and too many people spend too much time.  Google it, and you will find that

-  Children who watch more than 3 hours of TV per day score way lower, consistently on IQ tests (IQ is the ability to learn, not "what you know"

- The average male spends 35 hours a week watching television.  The average male spends 45 hours per week at work.  The average male spends 47 hours per week sleeping.  Now, this is the AVERAGE, I would really like to know the standard deviation on that to really come to a solid answer.  I think it is a bit high on the TV and a bit low on the work, but probably within 5 hours.

"Watching TV" how can that be an "activity"??  I am seriously curious on this, I guess when I made the thread, it was with the concept of those who watch a ton of TV, try not to watch it, and see what you do and see and other stuff in that two weeks.  Surfing the net is ok, but try to limit that.  GENERALLY, if you are in the "good parts" of the net, the quality of information is much better than you get from TV, even the news and weather.

After two weeks, watch some TV with an entirely open/objective mind, and look at what is on it, and how much sublte brainwashing there is with twisting the definition of "normal behavior".

Maybe instead of turning off your TV, switch it to MTV and leave that channel on 24/7, watching NO other channels, this is what many of today's youth do.  Then think again.  I know there are many choices on what you choose to watch, and many take the good with the bad (the commericals, and what is normal), to get the entertainment they do.  

But isn't 30 hours per week of "entertainment" a bit much?  I am not implying that all members here spend nearly that much time watching TV.  Absolut for example, would have to have no job and sleep very little to post as much as he does.  

I am of the opinion that the major problems of today started cascading downhill after there were two TVs in every home (late 70's), and now those from that time are the parents, and watching TV and using the TV as a babysitter is "normal".  Much less family interaction, many kids' Role Models are somebody on TV, rather than a parent, an uncle, or somebody in their actual real life.

This post is slanted slightly towards people under age 25, and children.  This is because these are the poeople that will be running the country in a short time.  A large portion of their "knowledge" is what they have seen on TV.

Would we even have the AWB if it weren't for TV/Hollywood?  The number of laws made has dramatically increased with the mass propogation of opinions on TV.

It was a suggestion to look and scrutinize to see if you are seeing exactly what you think you are seeing.

Again, a couple hours a week on a few select programs isn't an issue, it is those who can sit for 3 hours, watchin TV, and then say "I was watchin TV", like it was an activity.

Does that make more sense?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I live alone in an apartment.  My TV is constantly on, tuned to a News station.  I like the news feed in the background while I do other stuff like build model aircraft, learn guitar or do college homework.  Over the last few years I've sat in front of the tube and accompanied climbers to the top of Mount Kilamajero, deep sea dived shipwrecks in the atlantic and viewed the Titanic and Bismark.  I learned about american history and about humans in war.  I've watched 3000 people die in New York and a lot more in some godforsaken countries.  I expanded my knowledge of animals, how and where they live, mate and die.  I finally figured out advanced algebra and trigonometry due to a nice lady on late night college tv.  I've seen pictures and movies from a little robot on Mars, was amazed at the ultra deep space pics the Hubble downloaded.
On the dark side I watched the three Charmed ones go through 50 different hairstyles and colors, watched Buffy kick innumerable demon ass and rolled my eyes at the idiotic sitcoms and Star Trek.
All this from 'evil' TV.  Just like a gun, a TV is a tool.  It is up to the person controlling it on how it is used.

Fritz
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Brasspile! I took your advice, & just went shooting for the 1st time in months! I shot all 3 tv's with a 12 ga, & I didn't even have to leave home! Now what? The computer???? how will I know what to do after I shoot it?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#18]
<sigh>

Nowhere in my posts did I say TV was "Evil".

I concur there is good programming.

Look at it from this point of view:  The majority of voters spend most of their time watching TV, probably not board members here, so it came off wrong.

Now, with most of the voters get thier "information" from Prime Time TV, they think all AR's are machine guns or banned, gay is normal, etc. etc.

I am doing a Very Lousy job of trying to get that concept across, I think mostly because I posted to a board where people are sensible in what they choose to watch on TV.  My Bad.

Maybe if the DU surfers see this, they might wake up, or some of the other guests who pass by

-- Edited to add:  Yes, surfing the net for 7 hours a day can be just as "numbing".  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
...I watched the Drew Carry show or whatnot if it was on when I was around in the shop, but I never scheduled my life around "what show is on next?"...

Neither has anybody else with any sense in the past three decades.  It's called a VCR (or, more recently, Tivo) - look into it...
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I watch around 60-70 hours of TV a week.  2-3 hours a day at home, 10 hours a day at work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont watch much tv. Only show I watch Regulary is DeadWood on HBO with my folks other then thats its mostly History Channel or Fox News. I read alot also Currently  reading ChickenHawk  byRobert C. Mason  
his account of being a Helo Pilot in Vietnam

edit for accidently hitting submit early
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Does that include Buffy and Vic Mackey? A lot can happen in two weeks...

I hate to break it to ya, but Buffy ended last year.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Try this:

Get all of your news from the net or the radio.  Surfing ARF a bunch is "ok".

When you find yourself feeling "bored", go for a walk, or a drive, or go shooting.  DO NOT TURN ON THE TV!!!!

NEVER turn on the TV for TWO WEEKS.

Experience Reality.  If you don't like it, you definately won't like it 5 years from now, so start practicing!

Those who wish to rise to such a "lofty goal" are more than welcome to post in this thread.  Those who think the concept is a bit on the far side of insane are also welcome to post.

I have not "watched TV" in my ENTIRE LIFE.  I watched the Drew Carry show or whatnot if it was on when I was around in the shop, but I never scheduled my life around "what show is on next?"

Then again, I am a bit wierd.  Maybe this is because I am out of touch with the "reality" that TV has everybody living in.

GIVE IT A SHOT, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!

I tell ya what.  If I turn off my TV for 2 weeks, you have to promise to do nothing but watch TV every free moment you're awake for the same amount of time.  Sounds fair to me.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Lately, because of work, I have been checking ARFCOM once a week or so.  Also, watching 20 minutes of TV a night while I shine my boots, and that is pretty much it.

My life has become:  Wake up at 4:30, at work until 2:30, eat early dinner, go back to apartment, iron uniform, shine boots, go to sleep by 9:00 or so, then wake up and do it all over again.  I don't miss TV one bit (except the Shield), and ARFCOM is becoming less addictive the longer I am away from it.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#25]
First post I've made in a week or so, haven't watched TV in forever.

But what's happening in 5 years?

Experience Reality. If you don't like it, you definately won't like it 5 years from now, so start practicing!

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Experience Reality. If you don't like it, you definately won't like it 5 years from now, so start practicing!

I think someone's been reading too much of the John Titor tale. BS it be, but nonetheless any idiot can notice its foundations without reading it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think someone's been reading too much of the John Titor tale. BS it be, but nonetheless any idiot can notice its foundations without reading it.

Actually, not directly related to the John Titor thing.

I picked 5 years because that is when the president after this one would be in office, and things have only gotten stranger with every term.  How much longer do you think we will continue before America rips itself apart?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell, I don't have to turn mine off, it's not connectyed to anything. I haven't watched TV for most of the last 30 years. I do see some at friends houses, and that just reinforces my decision to NOT watch the damn thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#29]
If you want no distractions for awile then stay here for a few days............................

www.cabins.com/usa/wi/wi_richland_001/wi_richland_hidden_001.html

The wife and I go every fall for a few days.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you want no distractions for awile then stay here for a few days............................

www.cabins.com/usa/wi/wi_richland_001/wi_richland_hidden_001.html

The wife and I go every fall for a few days.

I wanna live there.

That or some remote area of the Washington Peninsula, the Olympic Rain Forest...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I had one TV show that I watched----Buffy. When it died.........the tv became a holder for dust bunnies. I watched Angle last night....it dies in a couple of weeks. I got no use for cable and I could actually do without the TV....I have before......I read a LOT and play computer games..
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Really I find things here days before the main news here ever gets it,sometimes I'll mention something I find  here and it will come to our local news and neighbors think I'm quite smart!!

I don't dare divulge my source!

Can't do with out my AR/15.Com or CGN!

Bob
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't have a TV. I gave that up when I joined the commune.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I don't have a TV. I gave that up when I joined the commune.

hare krishna, krishna krishna
krishna krishna, hare hare...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top