User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So how does appearance correlate to performance?

And how do the primers react to the vibration?

The supposed problem I have read were related to the powder breaking down and some coating wearing off, both changing burn rates. They all kept their shape so there was no break down; the sheen and surface texture remained the same so I don't think any coating wore off. Being visually the same, and neither of those things happening I don't see what else the tumbling would change. It would have to be an internal change, being basically a solid granule, I don't think that is likely to happen with a little vibration alone.

I updated the original post with some primer photos, they look unaffected.

Excellent job Popn.  You took a hypothesis and subjected it to a repeatable test.  Great info, and great documentation.

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]

I've already been tumbling live rounds for about 48 hrs to remove corrosion so it never concerned me but thanks for putting the effort out to present actual proof to the rest of the internet.

Well done.......too good for GD though!

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice work.  Definitely reference grade.   Needs tacking in the ammo forum.

If anything, the only change I see is that the surface of the grains is a bit cleaner after tumbling.  On some powders, they have a bit of a yellowish
residue on them that's mostly gone after tumbling
.   I'm not sure what that is, exactly.   The color's about right for sulfur but there shouldn't be any
sulfur in nitrocellulose based powders.  It's not graphite, which is used to lubricate powders for easy flow through the metering devices on the measure,
since graphite is grey.

CJ

I'm looking into the yellow specs in the AA No.7, I think it is only in the tumbled photos. I will have to see if I can find any in fresh powder.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Great stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm really tempted to not bring this up as I know it's going to sound like I'm trying to downplay what you've done.  It's only the possibility that some handloader could assume that your experiment resolves the issue for all loads and all powders and have a serious pressure excursion that leads me to add to the discussion.  You've done a fine job of providing data that the powders tested, in the loads tested, did not suffer visible damage in the certainly extreme length of tumbling you tested at.  There are some factors though that you at least didn't mention evaluating.

Was the powder at all compressed in the loads tested as earlier replies have asked?  If so, the environment the powder grains experienced would be different than in the case of a looser load.  And one would expect the looser load's powder to suffer more damage, leading to more effect from the two factors below.  

Did the tumbling generate any very fine powder (usually called "fines") in the cases?  This would have to come from the surface of the grains, and your photos do imply that if any "fines" were generated, the total would probably not have been very large.  Smokeless powder grains are pretty robust physically.  However, it doesn't take very much in the way of very fine smokeless or black powder to significantly steepen the pressure vs time rise after ignition. Similarly, a change in the statistical distribution of grain size toward the smaller grains will increase the burn rate and burn rate exponent.   After all, one of the major parameters the powder manufacturers use to adjust burn rate is the physical size and configuration of the powder grains.  Steepening the pressure-time curve does in fact lead to higher peak pressures.  Sometimes very much higher.

Many smokeless powders (not to my knowledge black powders, but I'm not certain of this) have a burn rate modifier impregnated into the surface of the grain after the grain is formed.  In the formulations I'm most familiar with, that modifier is often a burn rate retarder which among other things reduces the rate at which the burn rate increases as the pressure rises after ignition.  If that modifier is worn away to any appreciable extent, the burn rate modifier will be compromised, and the burn rate and burn rate exponent will not be what the manufacturer intended.  They will also not likely be consistent or repeatable.

What you accomplished is interesting and your photos of the before and after grains are damn good for any level of equipment, there are though some key factors that from your post you may not have addressed.

Pat

ETA, while I was typing, I see you added the 65% fill info, please disregard that first question.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Excellent post!

Myth busted!
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool info!  I would also be interested to see 'shooting' data before and after.  I really don't think there would be any difference with normal powders.  Yeah, maybe old cordite stuff.  I also never bought into the 'scare' of a bullet somehow setting off a primer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats a great post.

To all those worried about a "coating" that will wear off with vibration here are some thoughts.  Many powders are manufactured in foreign countries ie. Australia, Canada, Scotland.  Ever wonder what happens during shipping?  Even domestic powders have to be shipped.  So a case of Ramshot TAC that is shipped (trucked) from MT to say the east coast is going to have the shit beat out of it for about a week.  I submit to you that the abuse on the back of a truck and on a loading dock(s) is way worse than the effects of a vibratory tumbler.  YMMV.

eta:  not to mention the temperature swings...
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#9]
PLEASE post pics of a .223 round that has been tumbled for 200+ hours. That sucker must be shiny as heck!
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Those rocks are ugly
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm really tempted to not bring this up as I know it's going to sound like I'm trying to downplay what you've done.  It's only the possibility that some handloader could assume that your experiment resolves the issue for all loads and all powders and have a serious pressure excursion that leads me to add to the discussion.  You've done a fine job of providing data that the powders tested, in the loads tested, did not suffer visible damage in the certainly extreme length of tumbling you tested at.  There are some factors though that you at least didn't mention evaluating.

I don't take offense...  I am just presenting the information I can provide with what I have,  a few different types of powder and my experiment data is only visual. People will have to take that into account. Guns can be dangerous, reloading for guns can be dangerous.
I was going to build a gauged device that would thread to my AR barrel so I could fire a light charge of each powder covered by a plastic slug and get pressure readings also. I couldn't find a pressure hold gauge on ebay and didn't think it would be very accurate considering I would be compressing a long tube of air, I didn't care to plug my gas port either so I said screw it.

Was the powder at all compressed in the loads tested as earlier replies have asked?  If so, the environment the powder grains experienced would be different than in the case of a looser load.  And one would expect the looser load's powder to suffer more damage, leading to more effect from the two factors below.  

Did the tumbling generate any very fine powder (usually called "fines") in the cases?  This would have to come from the surface of the grains, and your photos do imply that if any "fines" were generated, the total would probably not have been very large.  Smokeless powder grains are pretty robust physically.  However, it doesn't take very much in the way of very fine smokeless or black powder to significantly steepen the pressure vs time rise after ignition. Similarly, a change in the statistical distribution of grain size toward the smaller grains will increase the burn rate and burn rate exponent.   After all, one of the major parameters the powder manufacturers use to adjust burn rate is the physical size and configuration of the powder grains.  Steepening the pressure-time curve does in fact lead to higher peak pressures.  Sometimes very much higher.

I didn't notice anything other than the normal granules. I have dumped one of the cases into a tray and see no particles other than normal, I have added pics of that. The pic is an average of what the whole sample looks like. I did my best to get enough light down inside the case to take a picture. You can see a seam in the bottom corner of the case, it all looks clean and free of "fines". Also added is a picture down through the case and to the very bottom of the primer which also looks free of "fines". As for the heavy or light granules settling, the powder stays loose, the case rolls in the tumbler, and normal movement of handling the ammo will mix it up so statistical distribution of grain size should be a problem.

Many smokeless powders (not to my knowledge black powders, but I'm not certain of this) have a burn rate modifier impregnated into the surface of the grain after the grain is formed.  In the formulations I'm most familiar with, that modifier is often a burn rate retarder which among other things reduces the rate at which the burn rate increases as the pressure rises after ignition.  If that modifier is worn away to any appreciable extent, the burn rate modifier will be compromised, and the burn rate and burn rate exponent will not be what the manufacturer intended.  They will also not likely be consistent or repeatable.

I already addressed this earlier. The sheen of the surface was the same as was the texture suggesting nothing has worn away. I also mentioned the fact that I saw sharp spurs(imagine an icicle) that were no more than a few thousands in diameter still in tact. Sharp corners and edges are going to be the first things to go if wear is occurring. The 1680 pictures show a good shot of a thin coating and the before and after look the same.

What you accomplished is interesting and your photos of the before and after grains are damn good for any level of equipment, there are though some key factors that from your post you may not have addressed.

Pat

ETA, while I was typing, I see you added the 65% fill info, please disregard that first question.

Dumped case

Bottom of case

Bottom of primer

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice work.  Definitely reference grade.   Needs tacking in the ammo forum.

If anything, the only change I see is that the surface of the grains is a bit cleaner after tumbling.  On some powders, they have a bit of a yellowish
residue on them that's mostly gone after tumbling
.   I'm not sure what that is, exactly.   The color's about right for sulfur but there shouldn't be any
sulfur in nitrocellulose based powders.  It's not graphite, which is used to lubricate powders for easy flow through the metering devices on the measure,
since graphite is grey.

CJ

I'm looking into the yellow specs in the AA No.7, I think it is only in the tumbled photos. I will have to see if I can find any in fresh powder.

Ok after some searching I have come to the conclusion that the yellow is from my homebrew bullet lube. It was only on the powder that came from the case that had the lubed bullet. Here is a picture of the lube on the bullet you can see the yellow spot.

Here are some odd mutants that I found while searching for the yellow stuff.

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PLEASE post pics of a .223 round that has been tumbled for 200+ hours. That sucker must be shiny as heck!

Well I believe the media was pretty wore out before I started so it didn't get a mirror finish.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You want photobucket pro.  Trust me on this one.  

I probably have a hundred+ pictures linked in my CCTV thread, and photobucket pro has never even blinked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You want photobucket pro.  Trust me on this one.  

I probably have a hundred+ pictures linked in my CCTV thread, and photobucket pro has never even blinked.

Yeah arfcom suck my bandwidth right away and pics wouldn't show so I bought the pro.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't see any taggant.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I believe the media was pretty wore out before I started so it didn't get a mirror finish.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/exp/th_CIMG1046.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/exp/th_CIMG1049.jpg

Thanks! The .223 looks good..

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:46:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I wish I had a Oehler model 43 Personal Ballistic Laboratory, I'd run the same sort of test and get pressure results of a control group and the test group.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Good job!  I've done this for years.  Not 205 hours of course, but maybe 2 hours.

I wonder if this affects the pressure at all?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 2:22:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Minor question––––––-Would the results have been the same if you used a tumbler rather than a vibrator?
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Minor question––––––-Would the results have been the same if you used a tumbler rather than a vibrator?

I would think an actual tumbler, the type that rolls would be even less harmful.

*SPECULATION FROM HERE DOWN*

From observation I don't think there is much vibration actually transferred to the items in the media. The media is constantly moving and very loose, not a good medium for transferring energy, only when the case or cartridge comes in contact with the side or bottom does it feel a large amount of vibration and that only lasts a second. Stick your finger into the media when it is on, you will feel very little vibration.

The vibration, I think, is just settling the loose media. The media at the inside diameter of the tub settles down, the shape of the tub allows for the media at the outside diameter of the tub to "settle up" getting out of the way of the downward settling and this starts the rolling motion. The vibration is an efficient way to get everything moving evenly and constantly more so than to actually hit granules of media against the cases.

The vibratory tumbler doesn't simulate a paint shaker where the contents of a container are being shaken, the tumble is just moving the container though a fluid abrasive media.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Bump for update of fired rounds in OP.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Does the BATFE know that you have a gigantic unregistered suppressor in your house?

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:19:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does the BATFE know that you have a gigantic unregistered suppressor in your house?

I don't think it qualifies, it is also very cumbersome to carry when I am out on a "hit", and the bullet trapping effect is a hindrance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it qualifies, it is also very cumbersome to carry when I am out on a "hit", and the bullet trapping effect is a hindrance.

Not if you assassinate someone in the box!

= I am not a lawyer but I think you're going to be alright.

Link Posted: 1/24/2010 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
This horse can finally rest in peace!  Great research!  
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
***UPDATE***

I had two extra .223s with 300 hours in the tumbler and two extra .40S&W that spent 205 hours in the tumbler. These were proper loading so just to check for pressure signs I decided to fire them. For the sake of safety in case there was an explosion(the lead .40s were being fired through my factory Glock27
), I fired them into the BOX O' SILENCE. There was no discernible difference in feel or sound and by the looks of the primers there was no excessive pressure.

In the photo from left to right is untumbled .40 then two .40s that spent 205 in the tumbler then two .223 that spent 300 in the tumbler and then two untumbled .223s

Click for full size.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/glock2027/th_CIMG1053.jpg

I would like to learn more about this box o silence. Very intriguing!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Excellent work. Thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top