User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 199
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is Arfcom:  "Get both"

If someone was unmasking USPs for political reasons (or any non-official reasons) - I want that investigated and people punished.
If certain USPs are constantly popping up in SIGINT because of weird communications with our geo-political adversaries - I want that investigated, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If someone was unmasking USPs for political reasons (or any non-official reasons) - I want that investigated and people punished.
If certain USPs are constantly popping up in SIGINT because of weird communications with our geo-political adversaries - I want that investigated, too.
Yep.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well...yeah.........DUH!!

I am not confident either will be done honestly.........too much slime in DC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Going to be real interesting as it unfolds.Its hard for Trump to move forward with his legislative agenda with all of this Russia inquiry taking the forefront Hard to accomplish anything meaningful..
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Going to be real interesting as it unfolds.Its hard for Trump to move forward with his legislative agenda with all of this Russia inquiry taking the forefront Hard to accomplish anything meaningful..
View Quote
At least you understand the purpose of this.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh shit, at BEST it will be some low level guy like Scooter Libby who gets nailed.........we'll probably NEVER REMOTELY get the powerful charged with ANYTHING on either side even if the evidence PLAINLY indicates they should swing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh shit, at BEST it will be some low level guy like Scooter Libby who gets nailed.........we'll probably NEVER REMOTELY get the powerful charged with ANYTHING on either side even if the evidence PLAINLY indicates they should swing.
View Quote
I sure hope you are wrong-for the sake of our country and democracy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Me also..........but do you think I am?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Me also..........but do you think I am?
View Quote
If history is a precedent-you are right.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If history is a precedent-you are right.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Congress just subpoenaed info on two Rooks (Brennan, Rice) and a Pawn (Powers).  Message sent.  Powers better not make any long-term plans.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congress just subpoenaed info on two Rooks (Brennan, Rice) and a Pawn (Powers).  Message sent.  Powers better not make any long-term plans.

View Quote
He's fucked.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He's fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fucked.
Power is a she.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Power is a she.
View Quote
Oops!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Power is a she.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fucked.
Power is a she.
I dunno...maybe under the right lighting...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's fucked.
Power is a she.
I thought Dems were gender neutral
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#16]
So when does Comey testilie about Trump asking him to stop the investigation into Flynn?  Can't wait for that shit show.  I want him to open his mouth and insert his foot into it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So when does Comey testilie about Trump asking him to stop the investigation into Flynn?  Can't wait for that shit show.  I want him to open his mouth and insert his foot into it.
View Quote
"Comey"

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, but consider the basis for the "unmasking."  The ostensible basis is potential violations of the Logan Act, a bill passed in 1799.  
View Quote
For Logan Act to be the basis of unmasking, you would have to presume that the identity of "AMERICAN CITIZEN #6743" or whatever in the Intel report was known prior to unmasking. What you presume isn't how it works.....basis for unmasking could be a wide range of suspicions....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#19]
If Powers made a request, her excuse will be THIS:

She will point to a transcript of a conversation between two Foreign Targets.  THEY will be speaking about interactions that impact foreign policy with a MASKED American.

"Ivan, my meeting with ______ was most productive, and if what _____ tells us it true, it will help us in the future regarding Policy X before the UN Security Council..."

She will then attempt to justify the unmasking, be explaining that it was needed to fully understand the context of the conversation and the impact on foreign policy.

That's my prediction.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

She will point to a transcript of a conversation between two Foreign Targets.  THEY will be speaking about interactions that impact foreign policy with a MASKED American.  She will then attempt to justify the unmasking, be explaining that it was needed to fully understand the context of the conversation and the impact on foreign policy.

That's my prediction.
View Quote
Serious question:  If anyone talks to a foreign target are they automatically legitimately subject to "unmasking"?

If the answer is "yes".........who decides who is a "foreign target"?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Serious question:  If anyone talks to a foreign target are they automatically legitimately subject to "unmasking"?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

(1) any person other than a United States person, who--

(A) acts in the United States as an officer or employee of a foreign power, or as a member of a foreign power as defined in subsection (a)(4);

(B) acts for or on behalf of a foreign power which engages in clandestine intelligence activities in the United States contrary to the interests of the United States, when the circumstances of such person's presence in the United States indicate that such person may engage in such activities in the United States, or when such person knowingly aids or abets any person in the conduct of such activities or knowingly conspires with any person to engage in such activities;

(C) engages in international terrorism or activities in preparation therefore;

(D) engages in the international proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or activities in preparation therefor; or

(E) engages in the international proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or activities in preparation therefor for or on behalf of a foreign power; or

(2) any person who

(A) knowingly engages in clandestine intelligence gathering activities for or on behalf of a foreign power, which activities involve or may involve a violation of the criminal statutes of the United States;

(B) pursuant to the direction of an intelligence service or network of a foreign power, knowingly engages in any other clandestine intelligence activities for or on behalf of such foreign power, which activities involve or are about to involve a violation of the criminal statutes of the United States;

(C) knowingly engages in sabotage or international terrorism, or activities that are in preparation therefor, for or on behalf of a foreign power;

(D) knowingly enters the United States under a false or fraudulent identity for or on behalf of a foreign power or, while in the United States, knowingly assumes a false or fraudulent identity for or on behalf of a foreign power; or

(E) knowingly aids or abets any person in the conduct of activities described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) or knowingly conspires with any person to engage in activities described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(1) any person other than a United States person, who--

(A) acts in the United States as an officer or employee of a foreign power, or as a member of a foreign power as defined in subsection (a)(4);

(B) acts for or on behalf of a foreign power which engages in clandestine intelligence activities in the United States contrary to the interests of the United States, when the circumstances of such person's presence in the United States indicate that such person may engage in such activities in the United States, or when such person knowingly aids or abets any person in the conduct of such activities or knowingly conspires with any person to engage in such activities;

(C) engages in international terrorism or activities in preparation therefore;

(D) engages in the international proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or activities in preparation therefor; or

(E) engages in the international proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, or activities in preparation therefor for or on behalf of a foreign power; or

(2) any person who

(A) knowingly engages in clandestine intelligence gathering activities for or on behalf of a foreign power, which activities involve or may involve a violation of the criminal statutes of the United States;

(B) pursuant to the direction of an intelligence service or network of a foreign power, knowingly engages in any other clandestine intelligence activities for or on behalf of such foreign power, which activities involve or are about to involve a violation of the criminal statutes of the United States;

(C) knowingly engages in sabotage or international terrorism, or activities that are in preparation therefor, for or on behalf of a foreign power;

(D) knowingly enters the United States under a false or fraudulent identity for or on behalf of a foreign power or, while in the United States, knowingly assumes a false or fraudulent identity for or on behalf of a foreign power; or

(E) knowingly aids or abets any person in the conduct of activities described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) or knowingly conspires with any person to engage in activities described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C).
Thanks for the info............all of that makes sense.

So they get a legitimate target to spy on and then it is discovered it is someone in the USA they are referring to in something related to why they are targets in the first place...........then they ask for unmasking???

If the answer is "yes"............good unmasking request.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She will point to a transcript of a conversation between two Foreign Targets.  THEY will be speaking about interactions that impact foreign policy with a MASKED American.  She will then attempt to justify the unmasking, be explaining that it was needed to fully understand the context of the conversation and the impact on foreign policy.

That's my prediction.

Somebody with an agenda
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For Logan Act to be the basis of unmasking, you would have to presume that the identity of "AMERICAN CITIZEN #6743" or whatever in the Intel report was known prior to unmasking. What you presume isn't how it works.....basis for unmasking could be a wide range of suspicions....
View Quote
Ambassador X: What is the new administration's position on Y?

America Citizen #6743: The new President thinks Z.  

What is the basis for the unmasking?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my prediction.
That depends.

Foreign Intelligence Officers and Foreign terrorists are good examples of "foreign targets."

People always assume that they were talking TO and American, when in fact they may have been talking ABOUT an American.

Unmasking may occur if the topic is important, and the name of the individual is necessary to provide context (or evidence, or targeting data).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Somebody with an agenda
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my prediction.

Somebody with an agenda
Well it has to be for what dmnoid posted...........if it is outside that, I would hope they have fucking problems.

However, my "hoping" is probably one of the most naïve statements I have ever made.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

However, my "hoping" is probably one of the most naïve statements I have ever made.
View Quote
Don't sell yourself short.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That depends.

Foreign Intelligence Officers and Foreign terrorists are good examples of "foreign targets."

People always assume that they were talking TO and American, when in fact they may have been talking ABOUT an American.

Unmasking may occur if the topic is important, and the name of the individual is necessary to provide context (or evidence, or targeting data).
View Quote
That's fine and thanks for the info.

Will we ever know if that was abused by politician types like Susan Rice???

Just a guess on your part???

I am VERY skeptical that we will EVER really know for sure............too much slime in DC.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:17:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, It shouldn't be that way and my view is that it was wrong. Their names were irrelevant. They had committed no crimes. They did nothing nefarious or wrong. The unmasking was done purely on a speculative "hunch" and "feelings" which ultimately was because of their political leanings as to why they did what they did. Once the unmasking took place, the underlings within the intelligence agencies and white house began spreading that information to make sure that it wasn't kept secret, although no crime was committed and it was classified.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Good info from Lawfare about unmasking:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/unmasking-primer-issues-rules-and-possible-reforms

The U.S. person’s name can be included in the SIGINT report only in three circumstances.  Two of those (when the person has affirmatively consented, and when the information is public anyway) do not appear to be relevant here.  So what matters is the third scenario, in which the U.S. person’s identity “is necessary to understand the foreign intelligence information or assess its importance.”

The same section goes on to list seven “non-exclusive” examples of situations that would clear this bar.  Here’s a short, paraphrased version of that list:

(1) The communication suggests the US person has become an agent of a foreign power

(2) The communication shows the US person is involved in leaking classified information

(3) The communication links the US person to international drug trafficking

(4) The communication shows the US person may be involved in other crime (and dissemination in that case is strictly limited to a law enforcement agency)

(5) The communication shows that a foreign intelligence service is targeting the US person in some fashion

(6) The identity of the US person somehow sheds light on a “possible threat to the safety of any person or organization”

(7) The US person at issue currently is a “senior official of the Executive Branch of the U.S. Government,” though in that case the person’s title rather than their name should be used.
View Quote
Straight from the NSA-horse's mouth:
https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/1118/CLEANEDFinal%20USSID%20SP0018.pdf
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No, It shouldn't be that way and my view is that it was wrong. Their names were irrelevant. They had committed no crimes. They did nothing nefarious or wrong. The unmasking was done purely on a speculative "hunch" and "feelings" which ultimately was because of their political leanings as to why they did what they did. Once the unmasking took place, the underlings within the intelligence agencies and white house began spreading that information to make sure that it wasn't kept secret, although no crime was committed and it was classified.
View Quote
That is a different issue and you DO raise good points.

I am just trying to get at what was allowable for them to do with the set of rules we currently have on the books.

I had a fairly decent understanding of what it might be but wanted it clarified in my mind a bit better.

I am NOT commenting on the spying thing as a philosophical issue...........you, as stated, raise good points on that one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I have a layman's understanding of what is required in the main...............thanks to all of you for solidifying it for me.

I just don't know if we will ever really know one way or the other..........on either side............just too much damn slime in DC.

Oh well, I hope Cincinnatus is right and maybe things are better than I think............
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think I have a layman's understanding of what is required in the main...............thanks to all of you for solidifying it for me.

I just don't know if we will ever really know one way or the other..........on either side............just too much damn slime in DC.

Oh well hope Cincinnatus is right and maybe things are better than I think............
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh well hope Cincinnatus is right and maybe things are better than I think............
The important clause is that unmasking needs to be "necessary to understand the foreign intelligence information or assess its importance".  Anyone trying to say unmasking requires evidence of a criminal violation is misinformed (at best).
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#35]
And this "process" seems OK to everyone/anyone? To me, the ONLY reason I think should be justifiable is contact or mention (directly) in communications with people on the terror watch list (is that still a thing)? Politics has GOT to be off limits. There is just no way that anyone at any level of power would NOT abuse information garnered on political opposition.

If we (The People) are OK with this whole system, I truly do hope Trump and his Administration abuse the FOOOK out of it and wreck every single Democrat and RINO in the swamp. And every time the Lame Stream Media whines and complains, he can just point back to Feb-July 2017 and say, "Look, it's all above board, nothing to see here...move along."
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The important clause is that unmasking needs to be "necessary to understand the foreign intelligence information or assess its importance".  Anyone trying to say unmasking requires evidence of a criminal violation is misinformed (at best).
View Quote
Understood.........the problem I have in the end is............"who decides this...........Congress, FBI, DOJ!!??"

If so you can see why I have LITTLE confidence on anything ever coming out of this crap on either side of the spectrum.

It is all too "controlled" by a central power to EVER result in an honest investigative outcome IMHO.

Maybe I am just too jaded but I don't think so.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is a different issue and you DO raise good points.

I am just trying to get at what was allowable for them to do with the set of rules we currently have on the books.

I had a fairly decent understanding of what it might be but wanted it clarified in my mind a bit better.

I am NOT commenting on the spying thing as a philosophical issue...........you, as stated, raise good points on that one.
View Quote
This will need to be argued in court. Whether the law allows unmasking based on a "hunch" or "feelings". That came straight out of Brennan's and Clapper's mouths the other day at the hearing, "We had a feeling the russians were influencing Flynn or Kushner." Paraphrasing

I hope it goes to that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And this "process" seems OK to everyone/anyone? To me, the ONLY reason I think should be justifiable is contact or mention (directly) in communications with people on the terror watch list (is that still a thing)? Politics has GOT to be off limits. There is just no way that anyone at any level of power would NOT abuse information garnered on political opposition.

If we (The People) are OK with this whole system, I truly do hope Trump and his Administration abuse the FOOOK out of it and wreck every single Democrat and RINO in the swamp. And every time the Lame Stream Media whines and complains, he can just point back to Feb-July 2017 and say, "Look, it's all above board, nothing to see here...move along."
View Quote

The sun does not rise and set on (counter)terrorism.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:34:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Understood.........the problem I have in the end is............"who decides this...........Congress, FBI, DOJ!!??"
View Quote
Accountants.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
5th I I
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Accountants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accountants.
Behold the true power holders in the federal government!

(That and the General Counsel's Office in every agency...at least when it comes to saying "no" to anything/everything)
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Accountants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accountants.
You are such a fucking smart ass!!!!!

Not bad though youngin'!!

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

(That and the General Counsel's Office in every agency...at least when it comes to saying "no" to anything/everything)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Accountants.

No...........dmnoid knows I am an old retired accountant.

He was making a young kid's jab at the old guy.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why was it necessary to unmask those names specifically in Trump's campaign?

What part of their conversation with the Russians raised concern that they were embarking on criminality?

So far from what I have seen, absolutely nothing was said that would suggest a criminal act in the future or past. It was highly speculative on the NSA and CIA to allow unmasking and it was not important to know their names.

These are private citizens of the USA we are talking about.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This will need to be argued in court. Whether the law allows unmasking based on a "hunch" or "feelings". That came straight out of Brennan's and Clapper's mouths the other day at the hearing, "We had a feeling the russians were influencing Flynn or Kushner." Paraphrasing

I hope it goes to that.
View Quote
I simply do not know how you could adequately ever remove the "subjectivity" portion of all this stuff.

Which has ALWAYS made me VERY suspicious right from the start of all this spying stuff, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What part of their conversation with the Russians raised concern that they were embarking on criminality?

So far from what I have seen, absolutely nothing was said that would suggest a criminal act in the future or past. It was highly speculative on the NSA and CIA to allow unmasking and it was not important to know their names.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I stated, if you're trying to tie "unmasking" to a criminal violation (and excluding any other reasons) then you're doing it wrong.  Read what I posted previously for a list of valid reasons to "unmask".
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder what the Ambassador to the UN was doing, unmasking people in the Trump camp? hehehe

http://i.imgur.com/kCPqtEG.jpg

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/448161/susan-rice-john-brennan-samantha-power-unmasking-subpoenas-house-intelligence
View Quote
Will she turn out to be the next Scooter Libby???
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Will she turn out to be the next Scooter Libby???
View Quote
Maybe, Hell Ben Rhodes is the guy who is behind all of this. He spins the webs, and as far as I know he is yet to be served.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe, Hell Ben Rhodes is the guy who is behind all of this. He spins the webs, and as far as I know he is yet to be served.
View Quote
Yup, he knows WAY TO MUCH SHIT to ever be in real trouble IMHO.

WAY TOO MUCH KNOWLEDGE of people in political power..........he is about as safe as I would be with a division of Marines defending me from a group of  five armed toddlers.
Page / 199
Top Top