User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Activist reduces the amount.

Non profit reduces the amount.

Ugandan GDP per capita reduces the amount.

Doesn't have a real job that contributes to civilization reduces the amount.

$1.49 seems reasonable.

$0.49 to legal fees.

$1.00 to client.

View Quote
Would you feel that way if it was your wife?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yep.  it's not like this is some giant death trap that the entire world is aware of, and the Park Service was maliciously negligent.
This is nothing more than a payday opportunity for yet another immigrant, and another way to fleece the American taxpayer.
View Quote

Lol what does him being an immigrant have to do with anything? Americans never seek a payday? Litigation is in our blood
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Decapitation cases rake in the cash.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's a genuinely terrible accident, but whether there's any culpability for negligence is a more complex question. I'm no champion of the NPS, anyone who has been here long knows that, but in this case......ehhhhh, I need a lot of details before I say they owe him money for this.
View Quote

From what I've read, they have admitted it was their fault.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
She was a prince
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Stupid gate design, if they must use a swinging gate it should go in two directions, away from the direction of travel, so if something like this ever happens it'll swing away from the car.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Decapitation cases rake in the cash.
View Quote

Jury will be pretty freaked out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I awaits though death awards should be 400k, identical to what the .gov pays out on a soldier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At least the NYPost article had pictures of the killer gate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

At least the NYPost article had pictures of the killer gate.
And there is damage to the front bumper and hood of the car like the gate was in the fully closed position when they hit it...

ETA: Ah, I see more pictures now. That looks like maybe the fire and rescue team used a halligan to open the hood and disable the engine?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a bummer, but the wind blowing something into the road and you driving into it does not equal 140 million
View Quote

Not 140million necessarily, but it's not blowing "something" into the road, it's blowing a metal gate that is supposed to be locked open.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Stupid gate design, if they must use a swinging gate it should go in two directions, away from the direction of travel, so if something like this ever happens it'll swing away from the car.
View Quote

This.  The gate swings partially into the oncoming traffic, essentially a braced spear.  It hits the side of the car at such an angle that, combined with the forward movement of the car, rather than glancing off it "digs in."  The movement of the car (doesn't have to be all that fast, 15-30 mph is probably plenty) then drives it into the car and causes it to swing forward as it penetrates further into the cabin.  It won't stop moving forward in the car until the car itself stops, because behind the entry point there is a structural column.  So that gate has all the force of the car behind it.  When it hits the woman, it becomes a structural contest between flesh and bone or the structural steel of the car frame.  Obviously the structural steel wins the contest.  At even 15 mph it would take less than a second from initial impact to conclusion, so the driver isn't going to react fast enough to have any influence in the outcome if he didn't see what was coming before impact.

If the gate opens the other way, the end is pointed away from oncoming traffic (unless someone crosses the center line), and it has a very high probability of glancing off leaving only cosmetic damage to the vehicle.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I will never look at those gates casually again. Damn that sucks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I can see what happened. The gate partially closed and was edge on to the car. He probably was looking around and did not see it coming so the end of the gate impaled itself into the car. Just a matter of angles and bending, the tubing probably bent in the right direction to take her out.

The dark comedy side of me wants to say "isn't decapitation a natural cause in Uganda?"

Pretty tragic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If the gate opens the other way, the end is pointed away from oncoming traffic (unless someone crosses the center line), and it has a very high probability of glancing off leaving only cosmetic damage to the vehicle.

Mike
View Quote

....And for this reason, every gate in the entire federal land system(s) will now be retrofitted to open with the flow of traffic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn...  can you imagine watching your woman's head explode while you're about to enjoy your vacation in a National Park?

They should get a few million for sure... and 15 minutes with the guy/girl who didn't secure the gate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That amount stated will get knocked down to a more reasonable amount at some point in the process. The media is just looking for the gee wiz factor.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#18]
lazy juries are the ones that permit these giant sums to be awarded.  When I was stuck on the jury for a civil trial; everyone looked at me like I was crazy when i refused to give the plaintiffs the full sum they were asking for.  At first everyone just wanted to give them the full amount so we could get out of there but eventually came around to my view point
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#20]
25yo, work until 70, starting at $50,00/year with COLA and raises along the way or jumping to another job for more money. Pretty easy to hit $4 million for loss of earning capacity.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

He had to drive into it, though. Or are we talking about crazy wind speeds?
View Quote

I don't know about there, but the winds here would definitly do that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
From the article...

United States attorneys do not dispute that park officials shouldered blame, but argued the amount the family should be awarded is far less and called into questions the ways in which the damages being sought were calculated. They said claims by the family's lawyers that Nakajjigo, who was 25 at the time of her death, was on track to be a non-profit CEO shortly were too speculative to be used as a basis for damages.

LOLlly LOL.  Come on.  Is this the Ugandan take on she was going to cure cancer?
View Quote
The gov willingly will give away taxpayer money to virtue signal their correct demographic.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did the gate Spear her, as in a Jousting tournament?     Or was it 90% to the road?      Pretty grody either way, just curious.

She was basically torn in half by the gate/stop sign.  I'm actually confused how the driver didn't get hit as a 5ft section of the gate swept the interior of the car.  Her head is under the tarp by the gate.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/12/arches-decapitated-woman-trial-006.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1317
https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/12/arches-decapitated-woman-trial-004.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1317
https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/12/arches-decapitated-woman-trial-011.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w=1136

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zO_2gJJ64

The video explains far better how this happened, and the limited visibility of the driver.

It's a terrible tragedy, but shouldn't result in a windfall at the taxpayers' expense.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Awful and sad.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
There was an unsecured gate below my high school.  A kid was driving down the hill and it punched through his car door.  Took a core sample out of his leg.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#28]
"She was one in a billion, Your Honor," attorney Randi McGinn told the judge, according to FOX 13 Salt Lake City.
Nakajjigo was a Ugandan singer and actress who reportedly did charity work.
View Quote
Attorney fucked up.

Should have asked for a billion dollars.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#29]
My family and I were actually in the park that day. This incident happened after we had already entered the park that morning.

It was fairly windy at times during several of our hikes during the day.

We saw the scene as we were leaving for the day, after reading about what happened I was trying to figure out how exactly that happened.

Thats a pretty low speed section of road, I suspect that they were traveling a bit faster than the posted speed limit in order for that amount of injury/death/damage to happen.

Still doesn't completely remove the responsibility of the park service to properly secure the gate.

ETA:

I could also see the passenger hanging out of the window in order to get a photo or take in the view of the park entrance and getting hit by the unsecured gate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]

The I-70 girder collapse back in 04' that killed a family of three.

For reference, what you see there is the body of a Dodge Durango.
The frame is about 200 feet down the highway.

The heads didn't get decapitated: The bodies were cut in half.

There was a call to 911 30 minutes before the collapse, but instead of notifying CSP or JeffCo Sheriff's, dispatch called ADOT.
Colorado and the contractors' insurance paid out a total, of about 1.5 million to the family.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I’m honestly having a real hard time understanding how this could happen.  I’ve been to arches and driven through that gate multiple times.  I understand the wind can whip through there, but enough to produce the force necessary I’m struggling.

In the video on page 1, the news said there is a video that the park service has that may/may not show the accident happening, but they have yet to turn it over.  It is not a gore video to me, but more of I just need to see how this could happen.  The 911 call said her head was laying on the ground … I’m struggling to understand how.

Also, couldn’t image to be her husband and actually see that happen.  That is one I could see/understand the lawsuit including PTSD.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
It looks like the gate may have been partially closed, pointing the tip of the gate 30* into the traffic lane, and the car was then driven into it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#34]
So many African immigrants in Utah start “nonprofits”. Many years ago I worked for the department of corporations where they had to come in and file their UCC and 501c3 documents.

Constant parade of African immigrants filing paperwork.

So many got into arguments with investigators about charitable purpose and how incensed they were that 99% couldn’t go to their nonprofit CEO.

Lots of Nigerian style “businesses”.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
From the article...

United States attorneys do not dispute that park officials shouldered blame, but argued the amount the family should be awarded is far less and called into questions the ways in which the damages being sought were calculated. They said claims by the family's lawyers that Nakajjigo, who was 25 at the time of her death, was on track to be a non-profit CEO shortly were too speculative to be used as a basis for damages.

LOLlly LOL.  Come on.  Is this the Ugandan take on she was going to cure cancer?
View Quote

Seriously.  "suggested she would have gone on to become a non-profit CEO who could eventually have netted an annual income in the hundreds of thousands of dollars — or millions."
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that either she was working for a shady ass NP, or NP didn't translate well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#36]
This painting sums up the situation. Now put it slightly off to the side, on a hinge and instead of a horse you have a car.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:53:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow, must have been really tough to see that, someone just sitting right next to you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#38]
According to the story.

Husband is white. His wife was Ugandan.  I don't think he was an immigrant.

Gate opens toward oncoming traffic.

So as they were passing.

The gate was swung into the window of the car. Basically right infront of her just in time to be smashed by it.

Reminds me of that video in Russia where dudes wife is hit by a brick off of a passing truck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Apparently this is not as uncommon as I would have thought.  images
Will definitely give these things a whole lot more respect.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If a soldier got his head lobbed off by that gate on vacation his family would get a lot more than $ 400k
View Quote

But not if he gets blown up by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.  $400k is the maximum life insurance policy that the government provides for troops (and for which they pay a fairly small premium, and are pretty much required to have).
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:49:59 PM EDT
[#41]
In opening statements Monday in Salt Lake City, attorneys representing Michaud and Nakajjigo's family said they were seeking $140 million in damages from the government.
View Quote

He noted she had recently worked as a host at a restaurant around the time of her death and didn't have a Bachelor's degree.
View Quote

McGinn said if her life hadn't been cut short that Nakajjigo's trajectory suggested she would have gone on to become a non-profit CEO who could eventually have netted an annual income in the hundreds of thousands of dollars — or millions.
View Quote

Apparently, I don't understand what the phrase "Non-Profit" means...
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Apparently, I don't understand what the phrase "Non-Profit" means...
View Quote

Try spelling it s-c-a-m and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn...  can you imagine watching your woman's head explode while you're about to enjoy your vacation in a National Park?

They should get a few million for sure... and 15 minutes with the guy/girl who didn't secure the gate.
View Quote
I would never forgive myself for not seeing the gate. That will ruin your life.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Winger - Headed For A Heartbreak (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Non-Profit CEO at 25?   Anyone could do that.  I'm sure it sounds impressive to morons on a jury though.  Gotta pump those numbers up!
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So, after reading the article....

I suspect that the wind didn't blow the gate at the moment they drove past, but, rather, the wind had either already moved the gate, or as they drove past it they were close to it and maybe they touched the edge of the gate, maybe the wind moved it an inch and once it touched sheet metal it penetrated and the rest was history.

It is NOT as if they were sitting still and the gate swung around like a giant battle-axe.

It's a genuinely terrible accident, but whether there's any culpability for negligence is a more complex question. I'm no champion of the NPS, anyone who has been here long knows that, but in this case......ehhhhh, I need a lot of details before I say they owe him money for this.
View Quote

After looking at the gates and the way they'd swing, that's exactly what happened.

I also don't think it swung in and took off her head, more than it penetrated the window and most likely went right through her head.

Either way, it's a terrible accident and I feel for him to have to see his bride killed right before his eyes.

I can't imagine the pain he's in.

That's said, the amount they're asking for is crazy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

lol...no it won't.  Stop being hysterical.
View Quote

So, you don't pay taxes then?

There's a reason I don't see your posts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Write the check...full amount.  Their loss...their number.
View Quote

Make sure to write a note to the attorney telling them you feel responsible as a taxpayer.

I'm sure they'll have no problem taking your money, after all it's not right to try and spend everyone else's money, but that's exactly what you're proposing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#49]
The last pole she ever smoked.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You do realize it will be your bank account the check will be written on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Write the check...full amount.  Their loss...their number.

You do realize it will be your bank account the check will be written on.

$40bil to Ukraine, $2tril unaccounted for, 10% to the big guy etc... you'd go scorched earth of someone's negligence got your wife's head severed into your lap, too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top