Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an old 88 pickup with bald as hell tires and its amazing how much mud and stuff that thing will go through in 4 wheel-low without getting stuck. I think its tire size is just so big compared to its weight that it has a considerable edge. I drive it up about a 50 degree hill all the time to check fenceline. Tahoes and heavy trucks WILL NOT go up that incline safely.

The other nice thing about the old ones is they are SO simple. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch, but I can generally repair it myself. The diesel ones (hilux) would be even easier to work on i should think.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey are you in the Cincinnati area?
Quoted:
Plates said "Special". four digits. I will have the other pics up in a minute.

Central Ohio. How bout you? why do ask?
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

he's hunting you down.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My first truck was an '88 Toyota. I wish we'd never sold that thing.

I bought a Jeep a couple of months ago. It's awesome to be back in something offroad-capable, even if I rarely get a chance to play.

The way I see it, I'm a Ma Deuce away from having a technical just driving back and forth to work :)
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a proud owner of a Toyota Pickup. I was in the right place at the right time yesterday. Driving past the gas station 3 toyota pickups caught my eye.Mud tires, snorkel, winch, and a Hilux badge. The Hilux is basically a diesel version of the pickup/tacoma. And as far as I know has never been offered in the USA. I stopped to fill up, and quickly approached the men filling there tanks with  diesel. I  yelled "wow a Hilux Diesel" They were amazed I knew of a Hilux.  He asked me not to look inside, but I did any how. The interior was armored and covered in molle.The dash looked like it was from a space  shuttle, at least 30 toggles. The roll bar had weapon and radar mounts. He would not tell me where he worked, but revealed it was a government project. I retreated to my truck, grabbed my phone and snapped 3 pictures. After a little research I found out special forces have been using Toyotas for a long time. I am not going to post my pics, but there are pictures of older models on the web. Search Tacoma special forces. Makes me proud to know the good guys use Toyotas too.

If you do't have a hilux your doing it wrong. You gay tacoma doesn't come close.

The only difference right now is the motor.

The Hilux and the tacoma are still markedly different. The Hilux shares most of the underpinnings with the previous generation 4runner.

As for the Hiluxes you saw, I saw pics of a car carrier full of them on an automotive forum about a year ago. Will see if I can find them.

Toyota cred: I have 86 and 87 4x4s and a 96 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In for the re-education camp!

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:55:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 10:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My family lives in Costa Rica and they have Hilux's all over the place. I want to import one so bad. If only I had the money. In a couple years I may at least ship myself a diesel motor for one. The US is stupid for not importing more diesel vehicles.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 12:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
According to a poster in another thread, you all need to hand in your man cards and learn real off roading and you all drive mall crawlers.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a place here in town that armor plates vehicles for the military.  I thought maybe it was some project they may have been working on.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd take my 2000 TRD Tacoma to war.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:29:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a proud owner of a Toyota Pickup. I was in the right place at the right time yesterday. Driving past the gas station 3 toyota pickups caught my eye.Mud tires, snorkel, winch, and a Hilux badge. The Hilux is basically a diesel version of the pickup/tacoma. And as far as I know has never been offered in the USA. I stopped to fill up, and quickly approached the men filling there tanks with  diesel. I  yelled "wow a Hilux Diesel" They were amazed I knew of a Hilux.  He asked me not to look inside, but I did any how. The interior was armored and covered in molle.The dash looked like it was from a space  shuttle, at least 30 toggles. The roll bar had weapon and radar mounts. He would not tell me where he worked, but revealed it was a government project. I retreated to my truck, grabbed my phone and snapped 3 pictures. After a little research I found out special forces have been using Toyotas for a long time. I am not going to post my pics, but there are pictures of older models on the web. Search Tacoma special forces. Makes me proud to know the good guys use Toyotas too.

If you do't have a hilux your doing it wrong. You gay tacoma doesn't come close.

Hilux has a stouter frame/suspension and greater load capacity.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Nice! Making me want a new TACO!

My co-worker who is in the guard told me that the military has plans to phase out the H1 ,and replace it with something that can handle the blast of land mines better????.

Not saying its going to be the Hilux, but does anybody know whats going to replace the hummer or have pics of unusual military vehicles
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Two thousand six hundred and twenty-nine Diesel Hilux's for sale.

Its funny when you do a 'search by km's - high to low' filter and see all the ones 400,00km and above. Fuckin tough utes.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Its funny when you do a 'search by km's - high to low' filter and see all the ones 400,00km and above. Fuckin tough utes.

Do Yotas rust in AUS?  They don't seem to last that long here.  Maybe being upside-down takes all the weight off the frame so you don't notice when they get weak...

We had an 80's 22RE pickup that did 385,000mi (619,000KM) before the transmission ate itself (manual).  It wasn't completely rusted out, but not far from it.

edit - LOLWUT

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I had lunch near the Toyota plant in Zarate`, Argentina.  Acres and acres of HiLuxs ready to ship.  

I would kill three bums for a HiLux.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice! Making me want a new TACO!

My co-worker who is in the guard told me that the military has plans to phase out the H1 ,and replace it with something that can handle the blast of land mines better????.

Not saying its going to be the Hilux, but does anybody know whats going to replace the hummer or have pics of unusual military vehicles

I'd doubt the H1 replacement would be a taco or Hilux if blast protection is the goal.  There's all kinds of V-hull, military specific vehicles out there to give an idea of what's required, and the toyotas aint it.

They obviously make a fantastic light truck for nonstandard uses though.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:00:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Me love my 4Runner.

Long time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#23]
My 89 4x4 on a recent kayak trip:

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always laugh when people make the "buy a real truck" comments when referring to Toyotas.  I even keep a picture in my PB account for such occasions.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/izzman_2006/MilTacoma2.jpg

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Basically, all you need to know about the Hilux, I hate trucks but I would buy one in a heartbeat if they sold them here....  
Seriously watch all 3.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFnVZXQD5_k
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do Yotas rust in AUS?  They don't seem to last that long here.  Maybe being upside-down takes all the weight off the frame so you don't notice when they get weak...  

We had an 80's 22RE pickup that did 385,000mi (619,000KM) before the transmission ate itself (manual).  It wasn't completely rusted out, but not far from it.

edit - LOLWUT

Bugger all rust issues here. That goes for every car. Typo on that link for sure.

We dig the Hilux, but its the Landcruiser that has the most love here. We started importing them in the late 50's to work on the Snowy Mountain Scheme. (big hydroelectric job up in the mountains) Toyota sent out engineers after the job to inspect the Landcruises and see where they broke. And made many improvements. There are so many 'cruisers still kicking around...tough as tough those things. Perfect for the bush.

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Where is that town?
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Overlooking a vital supply route in the north:

North California.  

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#29]
If Toyota could/would import the diesel powered HiLux to the U.S. market they would make $$$$$$

An older HiLux like the one on Top Gear, are great and keep going and going.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If Toyota could/would import the diesel powered HiLux to the U.S. market they would make $$$$$$

An older HiLux like the one on Top Gear, are great and keep going and going.

They'd be awesome, but one of the things that make them so cool elsewhere is their ubiquity.  They're everywhere, in every condition, in probably most every price range.  They have fancy ones and dead nuts basic ones.  Like the taco here.  

They'd be a high end fancypants truck here, just based on market share.  They'd have to ditch the taco to do otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I always laugh when people make the "buy a real truck" comments when referring to Toyotas.  I even keep a picture in my PB account for such occasions.

I can put an American flag on a Hot Wheels car, but that doesn't make it a "real truck".  
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can put an American flag on a Hot Wheels car, but that doesn't make it a "real truck".  

Don't you have some left hand turns to make or something.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#33]
"Real trucks' aren't sold in the United States and haven't been for some time. A Tacoma is the closest we can get. When I have the scratch I am going to buy a Hilux and import it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:20:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Your man card is full. That picture is the one that started me wanting a Tacoma. I drive a silly little GMC Sierra right now. Not forever.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:44:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Hilux and the tacoma are still markedly different. The Hilux shares most of the underpinnings with the previous generation 4runner.

Yep,  3rd and 4th generation 4runners are the only "Hilux" vehicles in the US.  Mechanically/fully-boxed frame, the 4runners are identical to the Hilux Surf - except for the turbodiesel option, of course.  Part of the reason, I think,  why a basic Toyota 4runner cost $35,000 new even way back in 1998.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,  3rd and 4th generation 4runners are the only "Hilux" vehicles in the US.  Mechanically/fully-boxed frame, the 4runners are identical to the Hilux Surf - except for the turbodiesel option, of course.  Part of the reason, I think,  why a basic Toyota 4runner cost $35,000 new even way back in 1998.  

I thought the early, pre-tacoma pickups were a hilux-like box frame too.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I had a Toyota PU called HILUX in 1971.  An OK truck with a stupid hydrolic clutch that went bad .....
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Meh, as a fobbit I much prefer the turbo diesel Toyota Hiace minibus
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What years were 3rd and 4th gen. 4runners.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I just make do with my FZJ 80 landcruiser...last of the straight 6 solid axle trucks..3rd world tough!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had lunch near the Toyota plant in Zarate`, Argentina.  Acres and acres of HiLuxs ready to ship.  

I would kill three bums for a HiLux.

I'd kill 3 and savagely beat a fourth. Your bid.

P.S. Sarcasm, it's what's for dinner!
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I'm wrong on that one. I thought they'd been about the same since 2010, since they had the same 8 crossmember frame, brakes, suspension. I know the Tacoma has the six-speed while the Hilux only has a 5.
Anyway, they drive about the same.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/cookiemonsterintruckful.jpg/" target="_blank">http://imageshack.us/a/img502/3775/cookiemonsterintruckful.jpg</a>

I was waiting for that

that was my wallpaper for like a year
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Your man card is full. That picture is the one that started me wanting a Tacoma. I drive a silly little GMC Sierra right now. Not forever.

Almost full, this spring it will have all new gears, ARB airlockers, ARB compressor and next year the TRD supercharger and a snorkel.

The trailer needs new hubs that share the same same bolt pattern as the truck.

There are few more things here and there, but it's all paid off.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Should have never sold mine... so I could have shoehorned a V8 into it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

edit - LOLWUT

Big deal, I've got an F250 in my driveway right now with 581k miles on it. Original motor, trans and no rust. I'll put another thousand miles on it next week for work with no worries.
Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Big deal, I've got an F250 in my driveway right now with 581k miles on it. Original motor, trans and no rust. I'll put another thousand miles on it next week for work with no worries.

Year/Engine/Driving habits?  That sounds like powerstroke+hwy miles...in which case I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

edit - LOLWUT

The Toyota pickup has the 22-RE, a 4 cylinder gas motor probably one of the most reliable gas motors ever.l The Hilux has a diesel motor and is admittedly is more durable  I bet your F-250 has a diesel motor? If  you truck had fords v-10 gas motor it would have shit out long ago. No rust, you live in Florida for gods sake, not exactly the rust belt.

Link Posted: 10/20/2012 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Year/Engine/Driving habits?  That sounds like powerstroke+hwy miles...in which case I wouldn't be surprised at all.  

It's an '01, powerstoke, work truck working for a utility contractor. About 90% highway and 10% off road miles. That 10% is a bitch though, it's beat to hell but very well maintained.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top