User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tight ass bitch. If you can't help out family then what good is being rich.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-
I agree to a certain point. But asking for a dress doesn't seem out of line in my world.

$25 in 1949 money - when the letter was written, is now $248.67 in 2014 money, according to the CPI inflation calculator.

Would you loan $250 to someone who's a potential credit risk just so they can buy a dress?

Fuck no that's a case of 556.

I'll just let this sink in for a while.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The idea that you are entitled to someone else's money or property because they have plenty is what is leading to the downfall of the world.

The idea that you owe others your money or property because you have plenty is the second biggest downfall.

She had no relationship with this girl, had never met or talked to her before. The girl wrote and asked for money from her rich aunt. Douche move.
Rand had already had two bad deals with this girl's older sisters, so why expect better from the third?

Lessons. They are hard but needed much more than handouts.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

none of us are perfect, but when someone flatly abandons the ethic that they have so vociferously advocated, it is reasonable to question their principles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

none of us are perfect, but when someone flatly abandons the ethic that they have so vociferously advocated, it is reasonable to question their principles.

Unfortunately Rand makes the completely rational argument that getting paid back some of what the government took from you is morally just.  I fail to see how this constitutes her abandoning her principles.  I'm also very interested to find out whose life or lives were ruined by Rand, as proposed by Rifleman on pg 1.

Rand argues that a country dedicated to individualism must oppose every “redistribution” of wealth for a simple but profound reason: it’s not our wealth to redistribute. If I walk into your garage and drive your Camry across the street to your neighbor’s garage, I haven’t redistributed our “collective” wealth, I’ve stolen yours. If I help pass a law that allows the government to “redistribute” your Camry to your neighbor, I’ve only made the situation worse by legalizing the theft.
Precisely because Rand views welfare programs like Social Security as legalized plunder, she thinks the only condition under which it is moral to collect Social Security is if one “regards it as restitution and opposes all forms of welfare statism” (emphasis hers). The seeming contradiction that only the opponent of Social Security has the moral right to collect it dissolves, she argues, once you recognize the crucial difference between the voluntary and the coerced.

Sourced
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you are going to give money to family or friends, just gift it.  Expect nothing in return and you may keep your relationship intact.
View Quote

this is the way I've always seen it.
I've fronted peolpe who I know slightly $10-$20 just to see if they'll pay me back. It's a good method of testing character.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Ayn hated commies, so she's got a good head start with me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Given that she's done this before and got burned for it, and given that she doesn't really know the niece in question, I see nothing wrong here.

It's a bit of a long-winded reply (as is her way, apparently ), but it looks a-ok to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep...  a practice fraught with peril.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like Ayn has had experience loaning money to family.

Yep...  a practice fraught with peril.

My answer is always "No", unless it's understood that it's a gift. I won't do it otherwise. I've seen relationships in my own family strained to the limit because of it, and I don't want any part of that stuff.

I don't even want to take the chance.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
-
I agree to a certain point. But asking for a dress doesn't seem out of line in my world.

$25 in 1949 money - when the letter was written, is now $248.67 in 2014 money, according to the CPI inflation calculator.

Would you loan $250 to someone who's a potential credit risk just so they can buy a dress?

Fuck no that's a case of 556.

Oh wow man.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Unfortunately Rand makes the completely rational argument that getting paid back some of what the government took from you is morally just.  I fail to see how this constitutes her abandoning her principles.  I'm also very interested to find out whose life or lives were ruined by Rand, as proposed by Rifleman on pg 1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rand argues that a country dedicated to individualism must oppose every “redistribution” of wealth for a simple but profound reason: it’s not our wealth to redistribute. If I walk into your garage and drive your Camry across the street to your neighbor’s garage, I haven’t redistributed our “collective” wealth, I’ve stolen yours. If I help pass a law that allows the government to “redistribute” your Camry to your neighbor, I’ve only made the situation worse by legalizing the theft.
Precisely because Rand views welfare programs like Social Security as legalized plunder, she thinks the only condition under which it is moral to collect Social Security is if one “regards it as restitution and opposes all forms of welfare statism” (emphasis hers). The seeming contradiction that only the opponent of Social Security has the moral right to collect it dissolves, she argues, once you recognize the crucial difference between the voluntary and the coerced.

Sourced

she can make the argument, but it doesn't dissolve the contradiction.

social security is one thing--medicare is quite different.  she was not recovering her money (plus her money's interest).  she did not create the wealth that paid for her medical procedures--she accepted money that the government took from someone else.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top