[#1]
Or roots

Pg2
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm all for it in the name of experimentation, but couldn't you have done the same on an appropriately sized single?  Maybe a 67mm or so?  Probably something a bit smaller these days.

I assume this was directed toward me?

Most guys that use a larger single turbo on my engine, make ~100 ft/lbs less torque and have a powerband that starts 2000 RPM later.  My main goal was to improve the powerband, and that's exactly where I suceeded.  Not to mention I'm a bit of a fabrication nut and enjoyed pioneering something that nobody had ever tried on my platform.

Indeed it was.  Very cool.  I was just looking up some other 4G charts to compare.

I had very limited experience with a custom twin-charged evo back in the day when I worked as a basic helper in a rally car/fab shop.  It worked well, but it used a roots-style SC with an electric clutch so that it could be disengaged once the HX55 got around to spinning.  It was rather complicated.

I think I have pics of that EVO somewhere on my HD.  I doubt there are any other EVOs with a SC and turbo, so it probably is the one you speak of.  Definitely sounds more complicated.

Speaking of Holsets, I'm currently sitting on an HX52 and a mitsu 20G to use for the next compound build.  Hoping to keep the same low-end power and increase the peak by 100-150 HP this time around.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm all for it in the name of experimentation, but couldn't you have done the same on an appropriately sized single?  Maybe a 67mm or so?  Probably something a bit smaller these days.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=NTGT3586HTA&Category_Code=Turbo-FP
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I assume this was directed toward me?

Most guys that use a larger single turbo on my engine, make ~100 ft/lbs less torque and have a powerband that starts 2000 RPM later.  My main goal was to improve the powerband, and that's exactly where I suceeded.  Not to mention I'm a bit of a fabrication nut and enjoyed pioneering something that nobody had ever tried on my platform.

You remind me of Kiggly... He does all kinds of weird stuff too, then he started setting records.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
username - sixbolt...  

Easy way to spot a DSMer.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
username - sixbolt...  

How bout crankwalk?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
username - sixbolt...  

How bout crankwalk?  

Crankwalk is sooo 1997.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Crankwalk is sooo 1997.

Sheesh.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]

SO MUCH WIN

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Should get that milk home 0.087 seconds faster.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Glad to hear you are hanging on to the Mustang and doing things your way.
Those centrifugal blowers don't make much power and I think you will be disappointed with the results.
We did several installs of the Vortex units a few years back and every one of them failed within a year.

Spend a little more and you'll be much happier that you did...
http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l519/Dagger41/Picture117-1.jpg

Care to share what went wrong with the vortech units? I am curious as the V3 is internally oiled so no issues there. If it helps I just want a nice increase in power,  I do not drag the car, just like twisty roads, hence my looking at the Vortech unit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Should get that milk home 0.087 seconds faster.

I don't haul milk in the car...that is what the Famry is for.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looking at a Brenspeed kit, which is supposedly good on stock vehicles. However I am looking at new rear axles and a different clutch. Also going to go with a Ford GT500 brake kit.

I'm still waiting to do the supercharger on my 2006 GT, planning on the Roush Eaton TVS.
I upgraded to the GT500 Brembo setup, purchased the calipers from Tousley Ford, stainless steel brake lines, front rotors and Front and rear pads from Autozone.
Went with the CS brake cooling ducts.

You may want to look into the 2013 GT500 15" Brembo brakes, you will have to run 19" wheels.  I don't think it will cost much more when it is all said and done.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those centrifugal blowers don't make much power and I think you will be disappointed with the results.
We did several installs of the Vortex units a few years back and every one of them failed within a year.

Care to share what went wrong with the vortech units? I am curious as the V3 is internally oiled so no issues there. If it helps I just want a nice increase in power,  I do not drag the car, just like twisty roads, hence my looking at the Vortech unit.

They wore out internally. Not due to lubrication, they just lost boost pressure.
No noise or rattling, they spun up just fine. IIRC boost dropped to ~2psi.

If somebody comes by with a kit we have to turn them down on an install. The tech's and service managers refuse to ride the heat from pissed off customers who bought into the low budget horsepower in a can and wind up with extra weight under the hood that does not provide the power gain they expected.

I have never seen one last more than a year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with the Vortech units. PERIOD. A&A Superchargers in CA builds all their Corvette kits based on the Vortech head unit. If there were a problem with them, I guarandamntee you the pissy-pants Corvette owners would be raising royal hell about it. Last I heard, they sold 375-400 Corvette supercharger kits in 2012.

The roots vs centri vs turbo debate will rage on just like the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 debate. They all have pros and cons.

Asking for performance advice on a gun forum is almost as bad as asking for gun advice on a car forum. You will get alot of "WRONG ANSWERS" sprinkled with a little bit of truth and real world knowledge.

To answer your question related to the V3 Vortech units, I can say from personal experience that they are great superchargers and very low maintenance. The benefit to the centri over the roots blowers is the fact that it only makes boost when you need it. The roots blower makes boost and uses fuel as long as it's turning. (from idle on up~) It also cannot be intercooled as effectively as a centri unit. They are also very limited in top-end power as they "run out of steam" quickly... whereas the centri blowers continue making more boost (and power) the faster they turn. They somewhat mimic the factory HP graph/power band but at a much more aggressive rate. The roots blower will have more power/torque at lower RPM's.
The downside to the centrifugal blower is that it can feel a bit soggy at low end... as it has to be spinning to make boost. The upside to that is...  stock daily driveability and fuel economy are virtually unchanged.
The V3 self contained units are the cat's ass... since they are not contaminated with engine oil and blowby/dirt.
When I changed the oil in mine a few months ago, it was still clean and looked brand new after 5000 miles on it.

Turbos are a whole 'nuther can of big horsepower worms. They are (in my opinion) the best option for power, but add a whole 'nuther set of problems with plumbing both hot AND cold sides of the unit.

Pics of my Vortech V3 Si-trim and dyno sheet:

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They wore out internally. Not due to lubrication, they just lost boost pressure.

If somebody comes by with a kit we have to turn them down on an install. The tech's and service managers refuse to ride the heat from pissed off customers who bought into the low budget horsepower in a can and wind up with extra weight under the hood that does not provide the power gain they expected.

You've GOT to be kidding me.

While I respect your opinion, it sounds more to me like you have a bone to pick with Vortech.
Myself and thousands of other supercharged Corvette owners feel entirely different.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with the Vortech units. PERIOD. A&A Superchargers in CA builds all their Corvette kits based on the Vortech head unit. If there were a problem with them, I guarandamntee you the pissy-pants Corvette owners would be raising royal hell about it. Last I heard, they sold 375-400 Corvette supercharger kits in 2012.

The roots vs centri vs turbo debate will rage on just like the 9mm vs 40 vs 45 debate. They all have pros and cons.

Asking for performance advice on a gun forum is almost as bad as asking for gun advice on a car forum. You will get alot of "WRONG ANSWERS" sprinkled with a little bit of truth and real world knowledge.

To answer your question related to the V3 Vortech units, I can say from personal experience that they are great superchargers and very low maintenance. The benefit to the centri over the roots blowers is the fact that it only makes boost when you need it. The roots blower makes boost and uses fuel as long as it's turning. (from idle on up~) It also cannot be intercooled as effectively as a centri unit. They are also very limited in top-end power as they "run out of steam" quickly... whereas the centri blowers continue making more boost (and power) the faster they turn. They somewhat mimic the factory HP graph/power band but at a much more aggressive rate. The roots blower will have more power/torque at lower RPM's.
The downside to the centrifugal blower is that it can feel a bit soggy at low end... as it has to be spinning to make boost. The upside to that is...  stock daily driveability and fuel economy are virtually unchanged.
The V3 self contained units are the cat's ass... since they are not contaminated with engine oil and blowby/dirt.
When I changed the oil in mine a few months ago, it was still clean and looked brand new after 5000 miles on it.

Turbos are a whole 'nuther can of big horsepower worms. They are (in my opinion) the best option for power, but add a whole 'nuther set of problems with plumbing both hot AND cold sides of the unit.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/yullose/DSC004772.jpg
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/yullose/DSC004192.jpg

Thanks for posting that up.
Looks nothing like the kits we used to install, they even looked like a crap ad-on hanging off the side of the block.
That looks pretty tidy.
How much boost out of that setup ?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:42:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking at doing forced induction on my 08GT using a Vortech V3. Anybody have some good advice or input?

Of course you should do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Sell it and get a new that is damn near as fast if not faster.

ETA. I see it's been recomended already.  Go with a safe tune and stay under 500 on the older motor and you should be fine.  Brenspeed was good with that model....don't hear so much out if them on the motors though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Sell it and buy a Coyote mustang. If you still want boost then turbo it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:47:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I respect your opinion, it sounds more to me like you have a bone to pick with Vortech.
Myself and thousands of other supercharged Corvette owners feel entirely different.

No bone to pick at all. We put these units mostly on Avalanche platforms and a few Corvettes.
Maybe it's the climate here, I dunno. They just don't seem to hold up.
Not seen or heard of Corvette owners bitching about them because very few went with that setup and the average 'Vette owner here put's 5000Km a year on their cars.
The serious HP junkies go for the roots setup.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't looked at many.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The serious HP junkies go for the roots setup.

My experience has been the polar opposite. I AM a serious HP junkie and a roots blower would be the last thing I put on my ride.

The big HP guys go with twin turbos or big singles. Next in line are the centrifugal superchargers...  some run off the OEM 6 or 8-rib serpentine drive (~800rwhp), while the bigger head units require a direct drive or cog drive (800+rwhp).

Generally the guys that look at the roots blowers (E-force/Magnuson,etc...)are the guys aiming for under 600rwhp. Anything above that and the roots blowers cannot cut the mustard... unless that is, we are talking about Littlefield 14-71's.

99% of the guys looking for 600-1000rwhp... are looking at Vortech V2/V3's (600-800hp S/T-trim) and the V7/YSI (800+hp) head units. The Paxton Novi 1500 and 2200 head units also make big power.
Above 900rwhp... and it's a crapshoot. At that point, many are running twin turbos or Procharger F2/F3's... but still, those are centrifugal units.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to agree. I've scoured forum after forum and have heard very few complaints about the vortech; as popular as they are if there was really something wrong with them you would hear about it. Most complaints are rebuild costs (after a shit ton of miles) and there are ways of doing it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that up.
Looks nothing like the kits we used to install, they even looked like a crap ad-on hanging off the side of the block.
That looks pretty tidy.
How much boost out of that setup ?

The A&A / Vortech kit was very well put together and easy to install. The kit-supplied 3.8" pulley is supposed to make ~8psi.
I dropped two pulley sizes to 3.4" and added a meth system. Max boost (see dyno sheet) is 12psi.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the awesome information! It certainly helps. I spoke to Doug at Brenspeed and I am looking at $3700 out the door for the full kit to put down 380- 400 ft lbs of torque to the wheels. It is going to be a lot of fun to put together. This weekend, the sway bars and endliks go in, and with the  superchager goes in the short shifter, along with a few other goodies.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#29]
I concur, screw the vortech. Get a kenne bell or whipple and call it a day. Kenne belles are top of the line. Screw the centrugal type superchargers. Roots type all the way. It ultimately comes down to how your gonna drive. I honestly prefer a torque monster with a nice useful torque/power band down low.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I concur, screw the vortech. Get a kenne bell or whipple and call it a day. Kenne belles are top of the line. Screw the centrugal type superchargers. Roots type all the way. It ultimately comes down to how your gonna drive. I honestly prefer a torque monster with a nice useful torque/power band down low.

Centri-Coyote powered Mustangs will make enough torque down low to melt the tires if you really want to.

So you want more torque, lower in the curve?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Should have bought a Subie...

If you want to make good power just turbo it....better fuel and your not always in boost
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I would skip vortech and go Procharger Only. Centrifugal supercharging is superior in every way to roots (not talking alky or nitro) other than low rpm torque. I have been around forced induction mustangs for over 13 years. I have had the whole gambit from Lightning, to KB Cobra, 6 supercharged Foxes, and a blown 08 GT.  I even owned the vortech R&D Integra used for their honda supercharger kit. Procharger is by far the most efficient centrifugal blower. My 08 was stock with exhaust and a blower and was my daily driver. It performed flawlessly, perfect street manners, and ran 11.0's all day long. Was a auto, with a converter and more aggressive tune would have been high tens.  Go with a d1sc intercooled kit and don't look back. Here is my fox car, with the old D1sc (now F1r) and was over 730 rwhp.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top