Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lost 75lbs and still need to lose about 20 more.  I am no expert but I do know one thing.  Its fucking physics.  Energy in and energy out.  That is the basics.  Which is what you always hear everyone say over and over and over again.  Then reality hits.  You have the want and will to change the way you eat plus exercise.  Once again more of the same worn out phrases.  You should think of it as a lifestyle change not a diet.  A diet is what you do to lose 10lbs to get into your wedding dress or whatever.  Lifestyle change is what you do to maintain a healthy weight.  It's not like you can't eat stuff that you consider bad.  In the end there is no bad food just too much bad food.  I lost all my weight while still eating the food that a lot of people think is bad for.  I just eat less of it and less often.  At the end of the day the most important thing is that you do things you can do for the rest of your life.  If you don't like the food you are eating on your "diet" you are destined to fail.  Same with exercise.  If you absolutely hate treadmills for example you should try something else for exercise.  I would also advise getting into strength training.  If you build a solid core you will burn a lot more calories even just sitting around so you will lose weight even faster.  You have to balance how much you eat and how much you exercise.  But calories are a bitch.  If you eat an extra 500 calories a day that is like 30-45 minutes of cardio just to get even.  If and when you decide to get off Nutrisystem look at getting a calorie counting app for your phone or on your computer.  If you count your calories you will eat a lot less.  Plan out what you are going to eat in advance and stick to it.  Lastly if you fall off the wagon don't sweat it just get back on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Grandparents used nutrisystems with good success. They gained most of it back after they got off but went back. That's the main thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for you OP!  Keep us updated on the progress.
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had taken "official" start pictures.   Went from 218.6 in May down to 177 as of a few days ago.  My original goal was 185, and I got there almost entirely by changing my diet.  I spent awhile hovering between 183 and 180...  I couldn't make it under 180.   Then I started running and I kind of enjoy it
Link Posted: 9/22/2013 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Great job OP, it's not easy.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Two week update

Weighed in this morning and was 222 pounds and 32% body fat. Total weight loss so far is 15 pounds and 4% body fat.

Been going to the gym every day but 2 during the two weeks so far. I am up to 40 minutes on an elliptical at 6.5 pace. Burning approx 400 - 450 cal's per session. This week I started working with some weight training with my cardio.

I am feeling great and look forward to continuing this process. I am on my last hole on my belt and my pants are falling off of me, shirts that were tight are now fitting well. Yea, I am liking this.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you post a better pic of yourself with better lighting and a smaller swimsuit?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#8]
In June I had a heart attack and decided to change. I have lost 60 lbs. changed my diet exercise... only 140 lbs to go...

I am anal about weighing my food right now and use http://www.mynetdiary.com/ to keep track of what I eat and it will also keep track of your exercise and it is free. I eay between 1200 and 1400 cals a day...

My lunch today 275 Calories...

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In June I had a heart attack and decided to change. I have lost 60 lbs. changed my diet exercise... only 140 lbs to go...

I am anal about weighing my food right now and use http://www.mynetdiary.com/ to keep track of what I eat and it will also keep track of your exercise and it is free. I eay between 1200 and 1400 cals a day...

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1382335_10202023020366561_1623399591_n.jpg

View Quote

Serious question. You were 200 pounds overweight and you waited to have a heart attack to do something about it? Why did you wait that long?

I have had this conversation with a friend while eating out. She saw a 400 pounder and asked me how someone gets that far gone. They must look in a mirror every morning. And they must occasionally go to a doctor who mentions the health risks of being obese.

Why not do something when you are only 50 pounds overweight?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#10]
How does the nutri system food taste? Just wondering was interested in it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Two week update

Weighed in this morning and was 222 pounds and 32% body fat. Total weight loss so far is 15 pounds and 4% body fat.

Been going to the gym every day but 2 during the two weeks so far. I am up to 40 minutes on an elliptical at 6.5 pace. Burning approx 400 - 450 cal's per session. This week I started working with some weight training with my cardio.

I am feeling great and look forward to continuing this process. I am on my last hole on my belt and my pants are falling off of me, shirts that were tight are now fitting well. Yea, I am liking this.
View Quote

Awesome progress.  Pace yourself on the physical portion of your transformation.  An injury would be detrimental.  That being said, most of it is diet related, so if you do get injured, you should continue to lose weight as long as your portions and calories are in order.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does the nutri system food taste? Just wondering was interested in it.
View Quote

I HATE the mashed potatoes and Meatloaf. NASTY... Everything else is pretty good. Snack's, I wont be re-ordering the "Nacho Cheese Chips" but like all the chocolate bar combinations. The first week is really the hardest part, getting used to eating 4 servings of vegetables a day (The stomach protested LOUDLY, I was not eating my veggies.) and the "Proper" serving sizes. I have been so used to "Upgrading" sizes while eating out, that became my normal. As stated  by someone else, I am weighing my food to get proper portions, we don't need what we are used to. It is no wonder we as Americans are an obese society...
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Awesome progress.  Pace yourself on the physical portion of your transformation.  An injury would be detrimental.  That being said, most of it is diet related, so if you do get injured, you should continue to lose weight as long as your portions and calories are in order.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two week update

Tracking my intake, I eat approx 1300-1400 calories a day now. Down from about 3000 Yea, I should be losing weight without to much difficulty, add in going to the gym and we are doing something.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just because there are rules.....

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/3495/18321718625577645539846.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He mentions wife and we get a picture of a topless MAN???  This is bullshit.

Good work OP.  keep it up.  I decided I was getting serious today about getting back in shape.

Just because there are rules.....

http://imageshack.us/a/img268/3495/18321718625577645539846.jpg

You win at life
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Good job man.  Keep it up

A few years ago, when I finally said enough was enough, I was at either 23 or 24% body fat and weighing in at 240 lbs.  I've since corrected that and am currently under 10% body fat and 225 lbs.  (still need to work on the abs though, lol)

Just remember, it CAN be done.  It just requires a good amount of commitment, so stick with it.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A few years ago, when I finally said enough was enough, I was at either 23 or 24% body fat and weighing in at 240 lbs.  I've since corrected that and am currently under 10% body fat and 225 lbs.  (still need to work on the abs though, lol)

Just remember, it CAN be done.  It just requires a good amount of commitment, so stick with it.  
View Quote

Under 10% body fat and no visible abs? Or do you mean you don't train your abdominal muscles with resistance, meaning they could be bigger?
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Serious question. You were 200 pounds overweight and you waited to have a heart attack to do something about it? Why did you wait that long?

I have had this conversation with a friend while eating out. She saw a 400 pounder and asked me how someone gets that far gone. They must look in a mirror every morning. And they must occasionally go to a doctor who mentions the health risks of being obese.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1382335_10202023020366561_1623399591_n.jpg

For someone that is not big it is hard to explain... Yes doctors told me.. I weigh much more than people think I do. I have a long body and I carried it pretty well as in I didn't waddle around and could be fairly active. The thing is I don't give a shit what others think and the social norms so the pressure from society has little effect on me.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's on your diet but Oscar Meyer Turkey hot dogs and a protein shake in the morning stave off the hunger pretty good. (Sans bun)
Egg and a sliced turkey hot dog are pretty good also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't know if it's on your diet but Oscar Meyer Turkey hot dogs and a protein shake in the morning stave off the hunger pretty good. (Sans bun)
Egg and a sliced turkey hot dog are pretty good also.

Hot dogs and healthy shouldn't be associated with each other.  Best time for carb consumption overall is breakfast and post workout, macro management is > calorie counting.  Mix some fresh blueberries and strawberries with the protein and blend.  Steel cut oats with protein and some stevia in a bowl or blend.  Save turkey dogs for random occasional cheat meals, not staples of nutrition IF you are going to consume them at all.

Oscar Mayer's Classic Turkey Franks are made from mechanically separated meat (MSM)—a paste-like substance made by forcing bones through a sieve at high pressure to remove any remaining meat, according to the USDA. MSM made from beef has been banned in the U.S. since 2004 due to concerns about mad cow disease, although mechanically separated poultry is safe to eat, says the Food and Drug Administration.

These dogs are relatively high in fat and sodium. Each has 100 calories, 8 grams of fat (including 2.5 grams of saturated fat), 510 milligrams of sodium, and 5 grams of protein.

pass on hot dogs as breakfast of champions
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Under 10% body fat and no visible abs? Or do you mean you don't train your abdominal muscles with resistance, meaning they could be bigger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Mostly the second part.  If I flex them, you can see them.  That body fat that's left is still around my mid section.  The numbers are slightly skewed because of muscle mass.  I'm still carrying right around 20 lbs of fat.  If I can get down to 6-8%, I'll be really happy.

Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Good on you OP.  

I've lost around 25 pounds over the last 4 or 5 months.  The weird thing is I wasn't really trying to.  In fact, I didn't even notice it until people around me told me I was getting alot thinner.  I weighed my self and there it was, 25 pounds down.  That usually doesn't happen to me.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Keep it up! More people should have your determination.
Link Posted: 9/30/2013 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Easier way maybe . I am down over 22 pounds in about 6 weeks. I walk 2 miles a night with a little running when my knees tolerate it and I do the 7 minute work out once in a while..I also just eat more salads and less burgers,. No salt shaker. Almost no carbonated sodas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#23]
2nd Goal reached (First goal was just to start )

Weighed in this morning and the scale said 220 pounds!!!!

Started a daily routine this week of

40 minutes on Elliptical (Fat burning routine, may switch over to cardio or manual)
Going back to old school:
3 sets of 20 push ups
3 sets of 20/4 count scissor kicks
3 sets of  20 leg lifts
3 sets of 20 situps
assorted stretching between sets....

Next goal 200 pounds!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
2nd Goal reached (First goal was just to start )

Weighed in this morning and the scale said 220 pounds!!!!

Started a daily routine this week of

40 minutes on Elliptical (Fat burning routine, may switch over to cardio or manual)
Going back to old school:
3 sets of 20 push ups
3 sets of 20/4 count scissor kicks
3 sets of  20 leg lifts
3 sets of 20 situps
assorted stretching between sets....

Next goal 200 pounds!!!!
View Quote

Congrats!

I just started at about 217ish.  Down to 209 by this morning.  Wanna race?

edit: Actually no, racing while losing fat is bad.  The last thing either of us needs is loose skin.  With that being the case, a bit of friendly competition isn't necessarily a bad thing, with the understanding that we don't do anything unhealthy to achieve an arbitrary weight goal.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I did this just recently. I went from over 250# to 197 pounds in a bit under a year. Keep going!

Oh, and here is my before and after.

Last October

This September

If anyone has any questions, ask away!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Losing weight is about 80 percent what you eat, 10 percent how much you eat, and 10 percent exercise. If you are going to exercise I recommend the strength training be the top priority followed by light to moderate amounts of cardio. As you say resisting what to eat is the hardest part. If you cut out grains and sugars from your diet I can almost guarantee you that you will be healthier and lose weight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Palea and calorie counting all the way, it's how I lost 120 lbs in a year.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Three and a half week update

Down to 218 this morning. Was stuck at 219 for a few days. Having a local carnival in town didn't help. (Deep fried Oreo's sounded so good... They tasted great, but man oh man! The grease tore me up)

Moved the Elliptical up to an hour today. Warm up for 5 minutes, then up the resistance and angle to ten for for minutes, then back down to 4 and 5 for four minutes, up to ten and ten for 5 minutes, down to 5 and 5 for 5 minutes, repeat for an hour. Machine says I burned 775 calories and did 4.8 miles. While I don't believe I could actually run that far, this is far better then what I started at. 3.5 weeks ago, I was sweating like a stuck pig, gasping for air and feeling like I was going to die. Today I felt good. Finished off with 3 sets of 20 push ups, 3 sets of 20 leg levers, 3 sets of 10 four count scissor kicks, 3 sets of 5 pull ups. Stretched between each exercise. Looking forward to getting down to 200 so I can transition over to the treadmill...
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#29]
One Month update on me...

Started at 238 pounds. Down to 214 this morning.
Was wearing a size 40 work pants, 38 jeans. Down to size 36 work pants (No clue on jeans, I don't plan on buying any until I am done.) I am on the last notch on all my belts, will need to go shopping soon.
I am enjoying my workouts and have actually started to look forward to them on a daily basis... Who woulda ever thought it?

If I can do this, so can you. Get out there and do something folks!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:41:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Two week update

View Quote

ETA:  I see you are even doing better now!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice work.  My advice is to stay active and sit as little as possible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
We'll your thread has motivated me. I am 220lbs now, 33 years old. I was 160lbs in college and packed on weight after back surgery when I was 23. My wife is a model of fitness and eats awesome so I have a good support group. Going to start tracking what I eat and exercising more.

ARFCOM rules.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:13:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
We'll your thread has motivated me. I am 220lbs now, 33 years old. I was 160lbs in college and packed on weight after back surgery when I was 23. My wife is a model of fitness and eats awesome so I have a good support group. Going to start tracking what I eat and exercising more.

ARFCOM rules.
View Quote

ARFCOM rules and HAS RULES.  Pics required.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ARFCOM rules.
View Quote

What part of NC Storz? I am down near Morehead City.

Trying to get in shape for a Spartan race. I see a Spartan Sprint in March near Charlotte. Now to try and get time off work, plan my boys Bday a week early....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top