BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
You watch too much TV dude....try going outside to play!

I watch TV out there too.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 that's complete  B.S.  

was this in Houston  ?

no
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"That's our policy sir"  

The corporate Nuremberg defense is alive and well.  God forbid someone actually use judgement and make a call on something.

Yeah, he should have told them to shove their policy up their...
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I have Insight where I live.

Wanted to take advantage of their $30 special.  However, I wasn't happy to smile while they connected 30-year-old coax to my living room (on the wrong side of the room).  I had pre-wired the house and all I wanted was for them to run new wire to wherever.

They too wanted something like $30 per outlet, even though I had done all the work inside.

I explained my unwillingness to pay them for work I had done and I had lived with coax strung funkily around my living room for too long to do it anymore and she wouldn't waive the fee.

Now I'm going to cancel my high-speed cable internet ($45 per month) in three weeks.  They can keep it.  DSL is only 20 and just as fast!

John
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
There's something about the timewarner logo that freaks me out
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
And the funny part is that the cables inside the house belong to you and he damaged them without your permission.

sue em- that might make them take you seriously

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is the most illogical crap I have ever heard. Here's a warning to anyone getting cable service.
Me: OK.....I am sick of discussing this with you. Credit my bill for 1/2 and I can promise you that I will be seeking other service options. As soon as I find an another service option, you can bet your ass that I'll be switching to another mode of TV service (The problem is there are not real options).

Supervisor: I have already credited your account.

That is what you get for speeding, you evil sinner, you
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DirecTV:  Reaching everyone, anywhere.

Unless it's raining. Cable sucks the big one, but at least I can watch the TV during bad weather.

Good grief.  I had cable go out more due to bad weather than I have ever had Dish go out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
TS: If DirectTV is in your area I would suggest going with that.  Second choice would be Comcast cable.

Wouldn't ANY area be in DirectTV's or Dish's area?

Besides, it's kind of hard to drag that cable from Atlanta to Sebring when I go for the 12 Hour whereas my spare dish and reciever make the trip quite well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
TS: If DirectTV is in your area I would suggest going with that.  Second choice would be Comcast cable.

Do they have HDTV channels?

Yes IIRC.  I don't know if DirecTV charges for HD, IIRC Comcast does.  I have Comcast, my sister has DirectTV.  The DVR is awesome for DirectTV.  

From all the horror stories I have heard here about Dish Network(YMMV) I would not in good faith reccomend Dish Network.  There may be people that can tell you differently, but YMMV.

I have had Dish for 7 years.  Won't have anything else.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The moral, .....don't let them in the house?

exactly

+1000

Max
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Call them back and tell them you want $109.50 to NOT deactivate their downlink.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had great service with my TW so far. The house I bought has cable drops all over the place, the tech just warned me that I should unhook the ones I wasn't using. The tech checked signal on the three spots I picked to hook up boxes and my internet connection which is seperate. What helps is that Everest is also available where I live, so they will waive hookup fees etc. to attract business. In my old neighborhood they still only charged hookup fees for the actual amount of recievers I had. Hope you work this one out, keep screaming to anyone and everyone till they fix this situation. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I had a dispute when I just moved to my new house, and wanted to get Direct TV hooked up. Most of the house was already wired, with only one room not wired that I wanted wired. So they come in and say that they are going to have to re-wire the entire house because the old ones don't have a phone connection. So I told them I don't see a reason why I need another phone line, as I already have one and they say that the phone line works when ordering pay-per-view movies, and if you don't have it you'll have to call us to order a per-per-view movie. Well, since I couldn't remember the last time I watched a PPV movie, I told them I don't care, just leave the existing lines in place. They wanted to give me some crap until I told them to either do it or forget the whole thing.

Money talks and that all there is to it. Unless you have leverage in the money department, your'e screwed. And since there are really no cable tv providers to compete with Time Warner, you'll either have to go satellite or do what I'd do if I weren't married, and that is to hook up the old antennae and to hell with paying anyone.

The phone line thing is the one thing that pisses me off about DirectTV. You don't need a stinking phone line connected to the receiver to receive the sat signal but they sure try to make you believe you do. All in all I would take DirectTV over any cable company. And I have. Screw cable!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had Direct TV for three years when I lived in AL, and it would go out every time it rained. Especially fun when you're under a Tornado Warning/Watch and you can't watch the weather.

The wind didn't seem to bother it, though.

No problem like that here. I get the occasional outage when super high cloud tops pass between the sat and the dish during rain storms but the outage usually doesn't last long. Funny thing though is when it does go out I can switch to the local channels and they are up and running. I know they are on two different sats so I guess that's what causes that.

And over here the damn cable goes out more often than DirectTV. All the cables are above ground. Plus they raise their rates 3 times a year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do they have HDTV channels?

Yes they do. I have ESPN2, ESPN, Discovery, some kind of movie channel, TBS, and a couple more that I can't remember. I think it cost $11 a month and you need an HD receiver. DirectTV claims we will be getting more HD channels soon. Whatever that means. Oh, you can also get a Showtime and HBO HD channel but that is probably an extra cost.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have Insight where I live.

Wanted to take advantage of their $30 special.  However, I wasn't happy to smile while they connected 30-year-old coax to my living room (on the wrong side of the room).  I had pre-wired the house and all I wanted was for them to run new wire to wherever.

They too wanted something like $30 per outlet, even though I had done all the work inside.

I explained my unwillingness to pay them for work I had done and I had lived with coax strung funkily around my living room for too long to do it anymore and she wouldn't waive the fee.

Now I'm going to cancel my high-speed cable internet ($45 per month) in three weeks.  They can keep it.  DSL is only 20 and just as fast!

John

Never heard of Insight, what part of IL are you in?  

Yes Larry, I know you have Dish, and that you are happy with it.  That's why I said YMMV, because I know of folks that have Dish and have heard good and bad.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#19]
the lines in your house are your lines, it does not matter who installed them you own them. if you hook up 30 tvs to a shitty radio shack amp big whoop. i fix stuff like that every day no charges at all.
i work for twc

the eye is kinda creepy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

the eye is kinda creepy.

It is a picture through a scope, not an eye.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the eye is kinda creepy.

It is a picture through a scope, not an eye.

officially its an eye and ear. its refered to as the hypnotic eye at work.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Fuck them! Never let them in the house. Every time i get a visit from the Cable/Satellite/Telephone...etc. goons they always insist on coming inside to 'inspect' and ensure everything is alright until they're met at the door by Napoleon, Alexander and Ceaser, my three big, beautiful and mean Rottweilers....Amazing how quickly they change their mind....

Bingo.  for future reference, they just need to hook up the box outside.  There's 1 plug there and 1 plug into the house.

"I only have 1 outlet.  Don't you see it there?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
This is the most illogical crap I have ever heard. Here's a warning to anyone getting cable service.
Me: OK.....I am sick of discussing this with you. Credit my bill for 1/2 and I can promise you that I will be seeking other service options. As soon as I find an another service option, you can bet your ass that I'll be switching to another mode of TV service (The problem is there are not real options).

Supervisor: I have already credited your account.

That is what you get for speeding, you evil sinner, you

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top