Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about "the guy that buys a homelite needs a saw to keep the house warm in winter and may not have an extra 200 bucks lying around begging to be spent".  Like I said, a homelite felled and bucked several trees a year for over 20 years.  Then again, we also split everything with mauls because we didn't have money to rent or buy a logsplitter.

Those of you maligning homelite, poulan, etc are the same ones who insist on nothing less than a $3500 AR with a $1000 scope to sit down at the 100 yard line and shoot holes in paper...something a sub-$1000 AR with a $300 scope will do just as well.  If you want to spend several hundred bucks on a saw to trim one or two limbs off the pear tree in the front yard once a year, be my guest.  But don't assume that normal saws don't do real work for real people for a real long time.  Is a stihl better?  Sure.  Is it a few hundred dollars better?  Sure.  Do you need "few thundred dollars better" to trim a tree once a year?  Not really.

I agree to a point,no you dont need an expensive saw to trim your trees,however if you want a saw that is reliable you will have to spend a bit of cash,Like i said I clear trees to pay the bills,in the past 10 yrs ive cut  thousands of tons of wood ,I will be cutting tomorrow,at the end of the day I am too fucking tired to worry about draining the gas out of my carb.If your homelite works for you great,I do see your point dont get me wrong
but not everyone has the ability or desire to work on a tool before the tool does work.I am coming from a different point of view ,if my saw cuts out on me at the wrong time it could be very very bad and I will probably lose more than an "extra 200 bucks" at that point.A homelite will trim your trees just fine providing you take very good care of it.Do you need a stihl?is it worth the extra cash?That all depends on how much value you place on your time.

You do not need "an extra 200 bucks" to buy a Stihl.

I read 2 or 3 longer threads on here before I decided which one I was going to buy. A gaggle of people said Stihl, and I shopped it out.

Lowes cheapest gas saw is $139.00, a Poulan

Stihl gets $179 for the MS170

I paid the $40 today for the best there is. I think its just smart money.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top