Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2021 12:09:44 AM EDT
The Tasmanian tiger , Tasmanian wolf, or just Thylacine  was said to have went extinct when the last one died in captivity in 1936. Since then, many sightings and claims have been made that they still live in isolations. Until one is captured it will always be considered extinct. Now there is talk of "Jurassic parking" a live thyacine from dna samples that could produce a live specimen in six years. Then what ? Create a breeding population and rerelease in the wild ? Ship them to zoos around the world. The same has been said of the wooly mammoth.

So to mix it up from to endless covid, FJB, and civil war doomer threads, lets talk about this;

A) the Thylacine live in isolation and will be rediscovered in the next ten years, or
B) we Frankenstein a "version" of the animal and open a whole can of worms. What say you ?

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
OK, I'll do it: What round for Thylacine?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a mean racoon. Good shoot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#3]
It's definitely extinct, not sure if they have good DNA samples of thylacine like they do have of woolly mammoths.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's definitely extinct, not sure if they have good DNA samples of thylacine like they do have of woolly mammoths.
View Quote

They have a "pickle jar" with a preserved pup. Said to have usable dna.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, didn't know that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:51:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, I'll do it: What round for Thylacine?
View Quote

This guy says 12 gauge all day.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll take a mutt from that and a Pitbull any day.   I don't give a fuck.

If they are going to save this species someone needs to secure a breeding pair and work on that asap.  

Dwindling populations in nature usually tend to go a certain way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:55:29 AM EDT
[#9]
There have been some fairly convincing sightings.

"Hunter" starring William Defoe is a great movie.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:56:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd fund this if we could hunt this.

But, since animal huggers don't want people to kill animals, and like good commies never do anything with their money, I ain't paying shit.

My hunting fees went to brining back the grizzly bear to conus. And people that didn't do shit tell us we can't hunt them. Almost pretty much the same with bison and big horn. At least those they give out token tags to Democrat fundraisers to as a bribe and to say "see we brought them back so we can pay back our Democrat donors to hunt them!"
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I believe there are still living animals so (a)
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#12]
There have been very credible reports. Enough that there are many universities looking for pockets of animals around.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Because humans fuck everything up, everything:

"Scientists" will create a genetic clone.

They will breed the clone

They will spend billions of dollars bled from the taxpayer along the way.

They will decide it is a good idea to release them into the wild.

The ones released into the wild will find the last remaining wild ones living in isolation and breed with them.

The offspring will have profound genetic defects derived from the clone and they will all die.

The Tasmanian Tiger will then be proper extinct.

"Scientists" will deny science, claim a resounding success, demand more money for "science" and then move on to fucking up the next thing on their list.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'll take a mutt from that and a Pitbull any day.   I don't give a fuck.

If they are going to save this species someone needs to secure a breeding pair and work on that asap.  

Dwindling populations in nature usually tend to go a certain way.
View Quote

Uhmmm....
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
How trainable are they? I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The ones released into the wild will find the last remaining wild ones living in isolation and breed with them.

The offspring will have profound genetic defects derived from the clone and they will all die.

"Scientists" will deny science, claim a resounding success, demand more money for "science" and then move on to fucking up the next thing on their list.
View Quote

Startlingly accurate
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#17]
THYLACINE SIGHTING - WESTERN VICTORIA 2008
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#18]
That video sure does look like one. I hope they are out there or we can bring them back since man is 100% responsible for killing them. I think we actually even killed the last one in captivity. It didn’t even die of old age.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Severely underrated movie
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Uhmmm....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Uhmmm....

Yeah I know.  

It runs like a fucktard.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah I know.  

It runs like a fucktard.  
View Quote

It looks like it has an injured forepaw.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#23]
is it weird that I know what a Thylacine is

There's a better chance of them being cloned from samples than a wild population discovered. I'm all for the cloning of extinct species, even those we didn't cause to be extinct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:01:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd like to see those Moa birds brought back.  They have some organic material from them.  Not sure if there's enough DNA to make a new one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:45:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Can it eat cane toads? That's the next candidate species to bring back; anything that can kill cane toads.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can it eat cane toads? That's the next candidate species to bring back; anything that can kill cane toads.
View Quote
Just drive around at night and run them over. I must have squished 20 one night in FL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#28]
What will they mix it with? An Opossum?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]
It was hunted to extinction if I remember  correctly. Clone it and release  it back to its native habitat. Nature finds a way.

FWIW I think they are badass
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Better video than ALL the bullshit bigfoot ones we have here
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Clones wont do well, all cloned from a single set of dna.
Seems as though they would need multiple specimens to get further from clone beyond inbreed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Came to add this, very good movie.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It was hunted to extinction if I remember  correctly. Clone it and release  it back to its native habitat. Nature finds a way.

FWIW I think they are badass
View Quote

Are they gonna clone enough genetic diversity to prevent inbreeding? They'll go sterile within a couple generations and go extinct again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what my money is on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

You've done this before,  haven't you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:03:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I've believed for nearly 40 years that they're still out there. Recent videos seem to suggest that, indeed, I'm always right.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
is it weird that I know what a Thylacine is

There's a better chance of them being cloned from samples than a wild population discovered. I'm all for the cloning of extinct species, even those we didn't cause to be extinct.
View Quote

I'm surprised there are people who don't know what it is.

It was drilled into our heads in high school as one of the prime examples of humans driving animals to extinction.

Other animals are the dodo, ivory-billed woodpecker, and the baiji dolphin is possibly extinct too. There was also that silly ground parrot in NZ but it seems to have recovered surprisingly.

The Amur Leopard, the rarest cat in the world, is also in pretty bad shape.

Com'on people. Watch less sports and more BBC. Sir David Attenborough is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, see, Bigfoot is actually an inter-dimensional being that is unable to be captured on video because….reasons.

Also, it’s clearly not a llama.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]
A marsupial predator.  It could still be around.  Up to 280 lbs.  It was a powerful ambush predator.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't think there are any live populations left, but I'm all for using cloning to reestablish extinct, or near-extinct, species.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to believe that some of these extinct animals are still around but we may never know. I'm not for cloning though, if the species is gone we just have to live with it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've believed for nearly 40 years that they're still out there. Recent videos seem to suggest that, indeed, I'm always right.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I am hopeful that they are still around,  I find it hard to believe that an animal like that could be completely hunted to extinction in a place as sparsely populated as some areas of Australia, plus its not like its food supply was eliminated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I am hopeful that they are still around,  I find it hard to believe that an animal like that could be completely hunted to extinction in a place as sparsely populated as some areas of Australia, plus its not like its food supply was eliminated.
View Quote

Seems like they were extinct in Australia before the British even started colonizing.

Tasmania they survived longer, into modern times.

Maybe some have survived on Tasmania, that is their last hope.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I spent a year living/working/traveling in Oz. Most of that time was in Tassie in a small town in the central highlands.
One of the old timers swore up and down that he saw one in the early 2000's. He was a salty dude and not prone to tall tales, unlike my boss.

Given how remote and unsettled that island is, I'd not be surprised if they're still around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Good movie.  Very visually stunning.  Great editing.  Good sound effects.  The tree with speakers was cool too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
and sadly this is probably the most realistic outcome
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What will they mix it with? An Opossum?
View Quote

I've seen a show about the possibility of cloning.  If I recall they talked about starting with a Tasmanian devil.  Both predatory marsupials.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
There's some video of one running between some trash cans and the back of a house in an alley, I believe.  Very short video...but that one has me convinced it is actually possible they are still around.

ETA:  It's the first video in this series of sightings:

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Tasmanian tiger , Tasmanian wolf, or just Thylacine  was said to have went extinct when the last one died in captivity in 1936. Since then, many sightings and claims have been made that they still live in isolations. Until one is captured it will always be considered extinct. Now there is talk of "Jurassic parking" a live thyacine from dna samples that could produce a live specimen in six years. Then what ? Create a breeding population and rerelease in the wild ? Ship them to zoos around the world. The same has been said of the wooly mammoth.

So to mix it up from to endless covid, FJB, and civil war doomer threads, lets talk about this;

A) the Thylacine live in isolation and will be rediscovered in the next ten years, or
B) we Frankenstein a "version" of the animal and open a whole can of worms. What say you ?

https://i.redd.it/yjrklbklzfx31.jpg
View Quote

One word for you.... coelacanth
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top