BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

He is completely right.  As a nuclear educated individual (i am a qualified radiation worker under Lab RC0288), the news goes crazy talking about radiation.  It all depends on dose.  Distance, Time, and Shielding all play a part in the equation regarding dose rate.  

I was watching FoxNews this morning, and Bill Hemmer doesn't know WTF he is talking about regarding anything nuclear.  

It is a BAD situation, but definitely not TEOTWAWAKI

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The talking heads on Fox said the sailors have been exposed to about one month's sunshine. It was also washed off with soap and water.

You are not gonna make it as a Network anchor.  You must say, " This is terrible and you all  could die a horrible irradiated death, More after this Tampon commercial." .  See, it's not that hard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You are an ass.

Did you make that statement based on "Takes one to know one" ???

I agree the main stream media is blowing this way up because it is REAL EXCITING LATE BREAKING NEWS, whereas the earthquake and Tsunami are "old news" (heck ancient like several days old).

No one is talking about the Libyan Rebels since all the cameras and microphones are focused on Japan.  I'm sure in newsrooms everywhere the thought is that Libya was SO last week!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Watching FOX news this morning before I left for work, and they threw up a graphic that left me speechless. It said something along the lines of this:

* 23 people exposed to radiation

* US soldiers helping with cleanup effort

* 10,000 people dead or missing.

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! 23 people have been exposed to radiation! Of course, there's no mention of what the level of that radiation was. Dental X-ray? Deadly dose? Somewhere in between? There is absolutely no frame of reference when it comes to discussing NUCLEAR issues. People's brains simply shut down. People are so irrational that the worst-case scenario in Japan might as well have occurred - it won't make any difference, just like 3-Mile Island. It could very well be that the worst thing that actually ends up happening is that a few people got irradiated to a small degree and the reactor ends up contained and safe, yet this is a seminal event that will be talked about for decades in TEOTWAKI terms. Forget about building any new reactors - PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO RADIATION! ZOMG!  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14615&prev=1

Oh yeah - 10,000 people are dead and missing too, in case anyone is wondering...

Zhukov, you da man.

I work in the nuclear field and every relative, friend and acquantence I have has called, emailed, texted and visited me to ask me if the news was true.

I say its not even close.

them "But how can they say it's so on the NEWS?"

me "They lie because they have a liberal agenda"

them

I sure hope someone is held accountable for the hysteria this is causing

yeah well when someone flying by in a helicopter or on a ship at see is getting radiation, YES IT IS A BIG DAMN DEAL, ESP SINCE THEY CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL IT

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH RADIATION THEY ARE ACTUALLY GETTING??? NO??? THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Oh and punctuation. Use it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I read something somewhere in the last day that the amount of rads is less than a dental x-ray.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the OP..

I have had so many people tell me that we are doomed to nuclear radiation, and how the winds will carry death to us in a matter of days.
People I know are even buying radiation detectors

People need to realize Japan has real problems, and real tragedy to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I read something somewhere in the last day that the amount of rads is less than a dental x-ray.

Yes, but it is also true that too much exposure even at this level can be unhealthy.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#8]

I agree with the OP.

Sensationalizing the news has gotten so far out of hand, that it becomes difficult to filter through and accurately assess the threat level.

10k people are dead.  But many more are still living in the proximity, with crippled resources and in a desparate condition.

We need to know about the radiation threat and its repercussions - not just a frantic mating of the words "radiation" and "disaster", disguised as news coverage.
Shutting down nuclear reactors around the globe, which were not subjected to a massive earthquake and tsunami - is ineffective and insane.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:12:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

(And, ftr, anyone who lets me piss in their camper, and doesn't kick my drunk ass for it, is OK in  my book  )

There HAS to be a good backstory to this......................................

There is, but thankfully it wasn't my camper he pissed in. TXL has always been on his best behavior in the lush confines of my Jayco, aka "Gulag Zhukov". The only advice I can give you is this: Beware of camping with the TX HTF, and NEVER have TXL, ilikelegs, and TRG in your camper all at the same time.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow, now I feel much better today after reading all the good "Vibrations" in this thread.

Poodle-Pumper, or what's his name, needs to get educated and do some critical thinking before posting.

EBR
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching FOX news this morning before I left for work, and they threw up a graphic that left me speechless. It said something along the lines of this:

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! 23 people have been exposed to radiation! Of course, there's no mention of what the level of that radiation was. Dental X-ray? Deadly dose? Somewhere in between? There is absolutely no frame of reference when it comes to discussing NUCLEAR issues. People's brains simply shut down. People are so irrational that the worst-case scenario in Japan might as well have occurred - it won't make any difference, just like 3-Mile Island. It could very well be that the worst thing that actually ends up happening is that a few people got irradiated to a small degree and the reactor ends up contained and safe, yet this is a seminal event that will be talked about for decades in TEOTWAKI terms. Forget about building any new reactors - PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO RADIATION! ZOMG!  http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14615&prev=1

Oh yeah - 10,000 people are dead and missing too, in case anyone is wondering...

Zhukov, you da man.
I work in the nuclear field and every relative, friend and acquantence I have has called, emailed, texted and visited me to ask me if the news was true.
them

yeah well when someone flying by in a helicopter or on a ship at see is getting radiation, YES IT IS A BIG DAMN DEAL, ESP SINCE THEY CAN'T SEEM TO CONTROL IT

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH RADIATION THEY ARE ACTUALLY GETTING??? NO??? THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1319/4726150882_7c0a5d64cc.jpg

Same to you Asshat.  If there is a 19 mile no fly zone, it must be more than a few days of sunshine. Learn some manners.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets talk a minute about Radiation / Contamination

Think about a BBQ grill.  The heat is the radiation, the coal and ashes are the source.  The heat can burn you, but if you are far enough away, it won't hurt you.  

There are different kind or radiation waves:  Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Neutron.  All four have different penetration capabilities.  Beta can be shielded by a sheet of paper.  Skin is a natural barrier to contamination.  Wash it off, the exposure is limited.  Gamma at certain lower levels can be shielded by poly sheeting.  The denser the material the better.  

The areas of concern for exposure are the Face, Abdomen, Chest, Throat, and Back.  Contamination of extremities is of much less consequence.

External contamination is not of real consequence, due to the fact it can be washed off.  Internal contamination, if you ingest or breathe in the 'ashes' (radioactive material) then you are releasing radiation inside the body.  The body can deal VERY effectively with absorption of radiation.  Internal CONTAMINATION is the real concern.

The radiac pictured (stolen from Drudge front page), is counting in pico Sv.  It is showing in 1000 1000ths of an Sv.  I do not know which scale the radiac is set to.  The dose rate shown, no matter what scale it is set to, is miniscule.

• 1 Sv = 1000 mSv (millisieverts) = 1,000,000 &#956;Sv (microsieverts) = 100 rem = 100,000 mrem (millirem)

• 1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem

• 1 &#956;Sv = 0.1 mrem

• 1 rem = 0.01 Sv = 10 mSv

• 1 mrem = 0.00001 Sv = 0.01 mSv = 10 &#956;Sv

Hopefully, this will shed some better light.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
There is no one to BLAME for the 10,000+ people dead.
You can BLAME the horrible corporations and nuclear power for the 23 dental x-rays.
You can use that blame to cause trouble for the nuclear facilities in the U.S.
Certain people can get mileage out of blame.  They care nothing about the people who died.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

Only I can talk to Mr. Zhukov like that!

Also lets lock this thread down gentlemen too many personal attacks.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lets talk a minute about Radiation / Contamination

Think about a BBQ grill.  The heat is the radiation, the coal and ashes are the source.  The heat can burn you, but if you are far enough away, it won't hurt you.  

There are different kind or radiation waves:  Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Neutron.  All four have different penetration capabilities.  Beta can be shielded by a sheet of paper.  Skin is a natural barrier to contamination.  Wash it off, the exposure is limited.  Gamma at certain lower levels can be shielded by poly sheeting.  The denser the material the better.  

The areas of concern for exposure are the Face, Abdomen, Chest, Throat, and Back.  Contamination of extremities is of much less consequence.

External contamination is not of real consequence, due to the fact it can be washed off.  Internal contamination, if you ingest or breathe in the 'ashes' (radioactive material) then you are releasing radiation inside the body.  The body can deal VERY effectively with absorption of radiation.  Internal CONTAMINATION is the real concern.

Your post was informative.  It did have the possibly unintended side effect of making me hungry, however.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#19]

The MSM can't tell the difference between a Glock and a Kalashnikov and people think they're going to get the story right on nuclear physics?

I don't know whats going on there, nor do I know how bad it is, but I'm not going to blindly accept what anchorman Ken and reporter-babe Barbie are going to read off the teleprompter on the idiot box.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The MSM can't tell the difference between a Glock and a Kalashnikov and people think they're going to get the story right on nuclear physics?

I don't know whats going on there, nor do I know how bad it is, but I'm not going to blindly accept what anchorman Ken and reporter-babe Barbie are going to read off the teleprompter on the idiot box.
Don't forget the ever popular "service revolver" mentioned in the media every time there is an police involved shooting.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zhukov, you da man.

them

Same to you Asshat.  If there is a 19 mile no fly zone, it must be more than a few days of sunshine. Learn some manners.

You don't know what you are talking about, THAT is very clear. There is no Chernobyl event happening in Japan. A no fly zone has been set up to keep people out of dangers way and for CYA. The few guys exposed to radiation were decontaminated back on the Ronald Regan, as per procedure. No lethal exposure, not even close. The US Gov has noting to hide in this. If anything the Current Admin is hoping for disaster to continue the Anti-Nuke Crusade, which people like you are inadvertently helping with your arm flailing and speculation. If there was a gross primary containment failure, the world hysteric media would be all over it 24x7.

Read more, post in all caps less.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You are an ass.

He very well could be, but that certainly doesn't mean he's wrong.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Why do so many of you confuse cable news with the MSM?  There is far, far more to the "mainstream" than TV news.

There has been excellent and responsible reporting of this, complete with perspective, all over the mainstream media.  Cable news has always been more sensational.

I swear, I log into arfcom and it is like an alternate universe.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zhukov, you da man.

them

You don't know what you are talking about, THAT is very clear. There is no Chernobyl event happening in Japan. A no fly zone has been set up to keep people out of dangers way and for CYA. The few guys exposed to radiation were decontaminated back on the Ronald Regan, as per procedure. No lethal exposure, not even close. The US Gov has noting to hide in this. If anything the Current Admin is hoping for disaster to continue the Anti-Nuke Crusade, which people like you are inadvertently helping with your arm flailing and speculation. If there was a gross primary containment failure, the world hysteric media would be all over it 24x7.

May I also comment that posting in bold letters is not impressive and does not make your words more important or argument more believable..  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#26]
This is GD, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]

This whole week i wondered if ARF was on its rag.

This thread confirms it.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zhukov, you da man.

them

Screaming removed.

FYI the maximum radiation any sailors on the Reagan were exposed to was equivalent to 1 month of normal background radiation, which is 0.2 mSv.  It takes exposure to 1 Sv (=1000 mSv) in a short period of time to develop noticeable symptoms of radiation sickness. 0.1 Sv (=100 mSv)  is typically stated as the limit where there is a possibility of increased cancer risk later in life. In other words it would have taken 500 times the exposure for any heath risk and 5000 times the exposure for mild radiation sickness.

Yes there has been dangerous levels of radiation reported for short periods at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, highest was 400 mSv/hr found close to reactor #3 during the reactor #4 fire, but according to reports the levels are much lower now.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are an ass.

Well, everyone else is too nice, so I will.

Who the fuck are you?

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Stop calling each other asses, you asses.

I'm telling my Mommy!  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zhukov, you da man.

them

Screaming removed.  

FYI the maximum radiation any sailors on the Reagan were exposed to was equivalent to 1 month of normal background radiation, which is 0.2 mSv.  It takes exposure to 1 Sv (=1000 mSv) in a short period of time to develop noticeable symptoms of radiation sickness. 0.1 Sv (=100 mSv)  is typically stated as the limit where there is a possibility of increased cancer risk later in life. In other words it would have taken 500 times the exposure for any heath risk and 5000 times the exposure for mild radiation sickness.

Yes there has been dangerous levels of radiation reported for short periods at the Fukushima, highest was 400 mSv/hr found close to reactor #3 during the reactor #4 fire, but according to reports the levels are much lower now.

Mostly from hydrogen out-gassing which contains radioactive particles with exceptionally short half-lives.

So far the system is working as it should in this meltdown situation.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I live very close to a nuclear plant.  The one benefit of the media blowing this out of proportion may be all the liberal yankees who moved down here will all run away scared.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:36:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Here is a very informative site that breaks down dose rates in laymans terms:

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/ionizing.html
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can BLAME the horrible corporations and nuclear power for the 23 dental x-rays.
Certain people can get mileage out of blame.  They care nothing about the people who died.

Horseshit, I've seen hippies blame global warming and the evil corporations for the quake.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#36]
10 dead is a tragedy, 1 million a statistic.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]
The "news" is not about journalism; it's not necessarily about furthernig a leftist agenda.  It's about advertisement revenue.  What makes people sit through the commercials without flipping the channel is what people get.

This is why facebook can be a better source for news than the media––because those giving the news on FB aren't required to sell advertisements.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Horseshit, I've seen hippies blame global warming and the evil corporations for the quake.

To be fair, hippies aren't "people like you and I" to paraphrase another poster.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Based on what I can tell the problem rests not with the reactor core or containment vessel, but to the spent  rods in the storage pool that may/may not have caught fire due to a drop in water.

I was reading that these rods were not Carbon Rods (like Chernobyl), thus not able to catch fire? They would merge into a solid mass and likely collect in the Sump at the bottom of the containment chamber just like at Three Mile Island. The reactor designs are almost identical AFAIK. Assuming the containment holds, the cleanup crew will find a solid mass at the bottom of the chamber to recover. As long as nothing catches fire and then another Hydrogen blowout occurs, everything is going to be relatively ok.

If they do catch fire and another Hydrogen blowout occurs, then all that radioactive material will become nasty airborne fallout like Chernobyl.

No.

TMI was a pressurized water reactor, and Fukushima is a boiling water reactor.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Can I call myself an ass though?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit, my good friends wife was trying to tell me that the earthquake and tsunami was caused by overcrowding and global warming.  I walked away.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit, my good friends wife was trying to tell me that the earthquake and tsunami was caused by overcrowding and global warming.  I walked away.  

I'm just hoping that everyone doesn't evacuate to one side of the island and tip it over.  

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on what I can tell the problem rests not with the reactor core or containment vessel, but to the spent  rods in the storage pool that may/may not have caught fire due to a drop in water.

I was reading that these rods were not Carbon Rods (like Chernobyl), thus not able to catch fire? They would merge into a solid mass and likely collect in the Sump at the bottom of the containment chamber just like at Three Mile Island. The reactor designs are almost identical AFAIK. Assuming the containment holds, the cleanup crew will find a solid mass at the bottom of the chamber to recover. As long as nothing catches fire and then another Hydrogen blowout occurs, everything is going to be relatively ok.

If they do catch fire and another Hydrogen blowout occurs, then all that radioactive material will become nasty airborne fallout like Chernobyl.

No.

TMI was a pressurized water reactor, and Fukushima is a boiling water reactor.

Which is why I added AFAIK. Duly noted.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#44]
While I agree with OP, at the end of the day its hard to tell what is really going on. Apparently the Jap .gov and the nuke company have a history of not being overly forthcoming with correct information.

Man, this thread really brought out the name calling. I wonder if its because there are those that want it to be a big deal and it isn't. Arfcom loves drama.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just hoping that everyone doesn't evacuate to one side of the island and tip it over.  

Oh, well played...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE! 23 people have been exposed to radiation! Of course, there's no mention of what the level of that radiation was. Dental X-ray? Deadly dose? Somewhere in between? There is absolutely no frame of reference when it comes to discussing NUCLEAR issues. People's brains simply shut down. People are so irrational that the worst-case scenario in Japan might as well have occurred - it won't make any difference, just like 3-Mile Island. It could very well be that the worst thing that actually ends up happening is that a few people got irradiated to a small degree and the reactor ends up contained and safe, yet this is a seminal event that will be talked about for decades in TEOTWAKI terms. Forget about building any new reactors - PEOPLE HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO RADIATION! ZOMG! http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=14615&prev=1

Zhukov, you da man.

them

Same to you Asshat. If there is a 19 mile no fly zone, it must be more than a few days of sunshine. Learn some manners.

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste, and what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you didn’t think you could do before."

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I know arfcom GD hates the NYT in general, but they have pretty solid "Just the facts" reporting on this, and a really good graphic animation thingy of the plant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html?ref=todayspaper

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:57:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Don't be a Silly Goose!

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Hell, six inches of snow is nearly the end of all we hold sacred nowadays as reported by the MSM.  

[devils advocate] What if it's actually worse than we are being led to believe? [/devils advocate]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zhukov, you da man.

them

By the way the used fuel containment pool caught on fire, containment is breached, most likely the fuel door has been blown off. and a 19 mile no fly zone.  

This has a potential to kill a lot of people, or at the least short lives... globally. If they do not get this under control I support nuclear power, we don't know what went down yet.

You can't spell three letter words, capitalize a letter, or form a coherent sentence. Forgive me if I discount any opinion you have on the matter.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top