User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone.
View Quote
Or a tennis ball with about 8ft of string attached.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a drone is a good guy with a drone.
As noted on page one: birdshot and old fashioned Kentucky windage.

It's funny how, regardless of how much technology (in this case AI) advances, "kinetic warfare" is still King, and always will be.

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Third time this has been posted this week.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The Clinton's have these yet?

Link Posted: 11/22/2017 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
some people are just dense........

Forget the ai angle....  Even without it we're close to the point of having tech that can change the game.
attach a weapon or explosive and send it to coordinates....  or have it lock in on that tracking device you  carry everywhere.

yeah even with location turned off your cell is still sending yourlocation.

How do you catch a killer that was never there to leave evidence.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Op is either drunk posting, or foolishly paranoid, seriously all dystopian Hollywood movie tropes are terrible fiction, epically the terminator.

no one will ever give the nuclear codes, or access to them, to a single AI, especially a smart one capable of thinking for itself. nor will AI be capable of hacking them in short period of time without warning, because if a rogue AI can do it, a state sponsored one can too as well.
View Quote
Who's talking about give?
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will get interesting.
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
one thing to note, all you guys that think you'll be ok with the shotguns are probably no better off than the rest of us.
By the time they weaponize small enough assassin drones, you're already fucked. They won't be the large noisy lumbering drones of today
They'll be small super fast and nearly silent.

If someone were to assassinate you with one of those little drones, you'd probably be dead before you could even shoulder your weapon IF you even heard it coming.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:43:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The only certainty going forward is that the future will be an evolving, hostile environment.....

...and that the powers that be will endeavor to limit our capacity to challenge that future
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]

If you're interested in artificial intelligence, I highly recommend this book.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, ARFCOM laughed and laughed about my love of the Shotgun...

and then when "Fo' Time!" finally came, it wasn't 5.56 that was needed to take out the killers AI Drones flying in fast and deadly, more like Steel Shot BB in a tight killing pattern...

Damn, I'm heading to the Skeet Field and Clay's course this weekend to brush up on my Skillz...  
View Quote
Who knew my sporting clay hobby would end up being so useful?!   As much as I love O/U's...  Benelli SuperSport for the win!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
picture this....

A small automated blimp high in the atmosphere

It carries several "smart" projectiles to drop on command

in effect it's just a sharp metal spike with small motorized fins to adjust it's  fall like a smart bomb
as it is real time guided by the signal of your smart phone

not gonna shotgun your way out of that

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I’m more afraid of Muslims with drones and bombs, than I am about AI!
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
picture this....

A small automated blimp high in the atmosphere

It carries several "smart" projectiles to drop on command

in effect it's just a sharp metal spike with small motorized fins to adjust it's  fall like a smart bomb
as it is real time guided by the signal of your smart phone

not gonna shotgun your way out of that

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384825/2017-11-22-11-58-53--370159.JPG
View Quote
yup, hd optics, gravity and kinetic energy will do a number on someone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Of course its sensationalist. But that's not the point. I never said a thing about ignoring AI. I stated the fact that AI is the single biggest threat to mankind. Stephen Hawking agrees. Argue all you want but the guy is pretty smart. And its not just him but a lot of other really intelligent people who are intimately involved in this world of expertise who are sounding the warning alarms about this shit.
View Quote
I did not say or imply that you had.    I brought it up to point out what that video shows can be accomplished today (to a limited degree) and that AI was not a requisite to accomplish that task.

That effectively moots the entire point he is trying to make.

AI is the single greatest threat to mankind?   Is that a joke?   If humans do nothing, absolutely nothing, we are all dead in a few billion years (+/- 5,000,000,000) anyway.   The single greatest threat to mankind is stupidity and apathy.

If mankind wants to get off this rock and ultimately survive, AI is going to be a necessary step to get there (maybe not TRUE AI but strong AI).

That guy is pretty smart.  In his specific field, I bet he is a hell of a lot smarter than I am and has probably forgotten more about the subject than I will ever know.   There are lots and lots of people like that.   That fact is irrelevant to the bullshit point he is trying to make and the bullshit they are pushing.

I don't care how smart you are or how many degrees you have or what kind of expert you are in your field:  if you are WRONG and/or your arguments are bullshit, then you are wrong and/or your arguments are bullshit.

Pushing the government to hinder the development of technology to prevent acts that could, more or less, be carried out with today's technology, strikes me as bullshit to its core.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top