BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
You eeeevil, devious bastard--I love you!!  Please report back.  I would PAY to be in the bushes watching the next "attack."  [}:D]
View Quote
Boy, NO SH*T! LOL, I'll bring the popcorn.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 10:57:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have this weird friend from rotc who (before his reform) used to but small home built explosive, devices in mail box's for fun. he got his though, when we went down to camp mckall for a little repel and night nav training. he wore long jhons under his bdu's and bragged about it while we were freezing our asses off. while me and my fellow captain were on fire watch, we got exactly what we were waiting for. we turned around only to notice that some one had set his long jhons on fire as he slept; he was wearing them at the time by the way.
there were flames coming off his ass about 10 inches high.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Luckily, wayyyyyy back in my High School days, we knew the Metal Shop teacher did this type of thing to his box.

Unfortunately for him the iron post it was attached to only went 2 1/2 feet into the ground and he only used one bag of concrete to secure it.  

The good news is, it made a most excellant sparkling effect at night as we drug it down the highway on a rope from the back of a truck.

I'd call him a dumbass, except I was the one who considered his mailbox a target for my copious free time.  Man.... If only life were so simple today.  Karma is a ruthless bitch isn't she?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn...that mailbox is beautiful!

I has happened to us twice.  Recently, the nice crafty custom cedar box with all the wife's time and money on it was blasted again.  She's pissed...and that ain't good for life in our home.

PLEASE let us know what happens when the vandals try again.  I would really like to be there when they show up.  What a great surprise that will be!

If you hear them when they attack again...and it sounds like the batsman gets his just reward...and is last heard screaming in pain as they flee out of sight, you might want to update the law and let them know that they might just get lucky down at the local hospital ER.  [spank]

This could be a great ongoing thread.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 6:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]
love the pic's.. I'd love to see two things.. the mailman's first glimpse and the a-holes if and when they should try to smash it!  good work!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Finally, living in a remote rural area has caught up with me.  The road I live on has become a favorite target of mailbox bashers.  First, they just targeted a lady up the road who has a very nice entrance to her farm, trashing the signs, mailboxes, and spreading litter.  Last nite, [i]every[/i] mailbox on our road was trashed.  This is becoming a monthly event.

The casualty:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxbash.JPG[/img]

The replacement:
Tack-up of internal frame of angle iron and 1/2" rebar:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxframe.JPG[/img]

Inner liner box, 2 1/2 bags Quikcrete filled between:
[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Mailboxconcrete.JPG[/img]

Let the games begin.  Welding torch, [b]ON[/b][devil]
View Quote

It's not a mail box, it's a mail BUNKER!

I can hear radius's & ulnas cracking already!
[devil]
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats hilarious.  Your mailbox is now my wallpaper. :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd set up a video camera and catch the perps in the act.  An armored mailbox is a good idea, but kinda ugly.  I saw one that had a brick bunker built around it.  

The tragedy of the suburbs is that kids have few outlets for dealing with their pent up rage and / or boredom.
View Quote
Pent up rage????  What do they have to be in a rage about?
View Quote

Unfortunately, if anything, it's probably something like inability to get a date or reach the next level on Halo.....?
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
My next door neighbor lived on a slight curve and local punks always cut the corner into his yard, solution??   Six, six foot sections of 8" pipe buried to leave 18" of yellow painted pipe sticking out and filled with concrete.  I woke to a REALLY loud noise at 1am,  to find a 1970 Impala hanging in mid-air above the guys front yard.  That was cool.  To correct the mailbox getting ran down he made a mailbox stand for all the neighbors out of a welded togheter bulldozer track, it was artsy yet functional and could not be dented with a LAW rocket.  What a guy, a little paranoid but strangly humorus.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Vandal-proof mailboxes, expensive, but may be with it!?!?

[url]http://www.improvementscatalog.com/parent.asp?pf%5Fid=145767x&dept%5Fid=230&strFindSpec=145767&Solutions=&code=[/url]

Sorry I don't know how to post the link.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Monthly huh? I guess its time to invite your local AR15.com crew for a monthly nite shoot. Moving targets provided [:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[b][size=4]Version 2.0 Improvements[/b][/size=4]

Add an outer shell of super sharp nails. As the speeding car drives by with the delinquent hanging from the window with a wooden baseball bat the bat impacts the nails. It is "grabbed" by the nails and the youth tightly gripping the bat is yanked from the car.... or his shoulder is yanked from the socket. [:D]
View Quote

Funny you should mention that.  A few years back another victim on the other side of the county made his mailbox out of a section of 6" cast iron pipe to which he welded a porcupine pattern of railroad spikes, then welded that to a steel post set in cement.

When I was at Lowe's procuring my supplies, they had a display of about a dozen mailboxes to choose from.  The only one 'out of stock' was the "Ironsides" model made of 3/8" cold rolled plate, weighing in at a respectable 25 lbs.  Looks like this idea may be catching on already in the commercial world!!!  Mailbox bashers, beware!
[stick]

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#15]
No need to be too terribly extravegant. My dad was having the same type of trouble, and he sunk about 8 feet of 2 inch round iron bar stock into the ground about a foot and a half from the box post. Used the same box with the dents pounded out too. I was home watching a ball game one night, and heard the nice loud BINGGGGGGG!! Sounded like the freaking Liberty Bell when they hit that old iron stock bar. I don't know if there were injuries involved or not, but I would not want to be the d1ckhead on the other end of that bat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent.  Hope those punks get some.

--------
"Mobilize your support system; connect with others."
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#17]
How about you put that thing on a heavy-duty lazy-susan type swivel, so that it spins around when struck, and attach a ball and chain to the back-end?  That way it would fight back!

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#18]
DScott   Excellent Idea.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
LMAO

Please, get video.   This is gonna be great!!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I posted this on a thread several months ago.

If it happens on a regular schedule then post yourself in some bushes with some tack strip.

When the car goes by after hitting your mailbox throw the stip out and puncture the tires.  

Hold them until the police arrive and show them the damage on your property.

If you fill your mailbox with cement it may break their arms and may leave you liable for their injuries.

Alex
View Quote

Not likely. I say build a better mailbox, and they [b]WILL[/b] come! I hope some moron with an aluminum bat takes a poke at shooter's creation.

If you can, get pics of the perps as they are being led to the ambulance with compound fractures of the radius and ulna!
View Quote

The one thing forgotten was to paint it a real obnoxious color like bright orange or fuchia.  Make it look like something that's begging to be smacked.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Shooting .223 blanks I still think is the best idea. I imagine whatever pants they were wearing would be full after that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#22]
RIGHT ON!, I LIKE IT A LOT.

Nothing funnier than some little a**hole gettin his.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been having this problem also....I think I found a new project!

Hmmmm....how many evil features can a post ban mailbox have?

medcop
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
We used to have these punks go thru my neighborhood on garbage day. Our curbs were pretty low so it was easy for them to hit the garbage bags with thier car and spread all the trash all the way down the street. They would do this to 10 houses in a row. Well After the second week of them doing this, I decided to do something.  I work midnights so I am up all night even on my nights off. I sit in my living after midnight and cruise the web, from my seat I can see most of the way down the street. From this view and spending a lot of late nights I have learned what my neighbors get home from work and leave for work in the mourning. I did some asking down the street. I talked to one neighbor who got home from work at 2am and he said none of the garbage was spread then them I talked to the guy next door who leaves for work at 5:30 am, and he said the garbage was already spread out.  So I got garbage night off work a decided to take things into my own hands. I sat out in my bushes with my painball gun and sure enough around 2:30 am these punks came out of the ally from were they left from the bar and proceded up the street hitting peoples garbage with thier car. Spreading it out all over. They then turned around down the block and started on the houses on my side. As they passed my I double check the plate number I remembered and politly tagged the 1979 Volare with 3 brite pink paintballs as they drove off. My next call was to the cops and they sent a car over, I gave them my statement and never saw the car again. About a week later I read in the local news paper that group of Teens (I dont know why they called them teens, they were older than that) were caught littering in a neigborhood thanks to a citizens tip. I guess I was a hero for a day.

Six
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How about you put that thing on a heavy-duty lazy-susan type swivel, so that it spins around when struck, and attach a ball and chain to the back-end?  That way it would fight back!

[:D]
View Quote

Or put a 4X4 piece of oak about 6 to 8 feet long on the back side.

Six
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was a kid, we had a family friend who kept losing the driver's side mirror off his truck. He'd come out in the morning and find it about 15 feet in front of the truck, like a kid had come by on a bicycle and smacked it on the way by.

After about 5 occasions of this, he decided to weld some large barbed fish hooks onto the side of the mirror.

A couple mornings later the mirror was gone again, but he didn't find it in front of the truck that time. He cleaned the blood from the door and fender, and went without a mirror for a while.

Stuff was different in the 1970s...
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#27]
A while back when I was in  my old house, we had the same thing happen, only I was sitting in my room wide awake.  The dumbasses obviously didnt know the neighborhood, because they hit the box not knowing my neighborhood had only one entrance/exit...and they were driving right into a culdesac.  They returned only to see me sitting in the road with my airsoft M4A1, wearing an eagle industries tac vest, with a drop leg holster with a suprise that would have been a little more *unfriendly* just in case.

Well, when I pulled the charging handle back, the kid decided to go off the road, take off his rear-view mirror on a tree, and I unloaded 2 68 round magazines on him, leaving about  136 rounded dents on the back of his car.

Went to a football game that weekend against a rival school, saw the same BWM 740 *haha* in the parking lot, with a TON of circular dents, and my friend and I tailed him home after the game.  Lets just say by the end of the night, we blew out a 4x4x4 foot cirucular hole in his front yard, with some of my friend's homemade toys.

Link Posted: 1/3/2002 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#28]
My box just got hit again on Sat. night for the second time this month! So I bought the iron heavy duty mailbox and intend on putting it up tonight, then I will be doing some stakeout work on Sat. nights with some nice bricks and a healthy handful on nails for their tires.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Burgulars do sue people for having unreasonably dangerous conditions on the victim's property, and sometimes win.  Stupid, but true.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Burgulars do sue people for having unreasonably dangerous conditions on the victim's property, and sometimes win.  Stupid, but true.
View Quote

Yep, this is a risk, but if I'm going to be fucked, I want to be kissed first.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
get a bunch of .223 blanks and wait for those fuckers.  When they get to your house open up on them!  With all the noise and muzzle flash they'll be sure to piss their pants!  Make sure you have a brass catcher on though. If somebody on your street calls the cops and they show up at you door you can just say "hey my mail box got smashed and this time it sounded like they had a gun or something."  Those kid will be so scared to come down your street again that you could put up a glass mail box and it would be safe.  
View Quote

That's brilliant, especially when you mix up the ammo. Ideas like this make us look real bright.
Link Posted: 1/3/2002 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I know someone who built a really nice snowman over a fire hydrant.  It got smashed really bad.  The car that is.  Leaf piles are also common.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top