Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I went down there for about a year on a Work & Holiday Visa in 2008-2009.

Former ARFCOMMER hooked me up with a job in the Tasmanian bush working at a hotel/restaurant.

When I got there, the AUD$ was about US$.67, so my initial funds went further. When I left in 2009, it was almost equal.

Cost of living is higher in the metro areas, ie comparable to major metro areas here.

But wages are a lot higher than here. I got paid $22/HR to do landscape work in Gold Coast.

Working in the mining industry typically pays big money out there.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is pretty easy. But be careful at roundabouts and turns.

There were only a few times when I felt my I could be in an unsafe situation. But overall, I felt pretty safe over there.

Most Aussies are pretty friendly. Typically, if they aren't making fun
of you then they don't like you. With that said, you gotta be able to
dish it and take it, because they are a buncha shit stirrers.

If you have the opportunity to go down there for a while, I would take it. It's an absolutely wonderful place.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't believe no one's mention the price of the fucking beer here:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/191581_1906356699813_7153270_o.jpg

Is it legal to brew your own beer in Australia?

Yup. And very popular.

A carton of beer is about $35. A packet of smokes - wait for it - $18. A hooker is about $200. A big mac meal - $8.

So a good night out can get expensive.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I went down there for about a year on a Work & Holiday Visa in 2008-2009.

Former ARFCOMMER hooked me up with a job in the Tasmanian bush working at a hotel/restaurant.

When I got there, the AUD$ was about US$.67, so my initial funds went further. When I left in 2009, it was almost equal.

Cost of living is higher in the metro areas, ie comparable to major metro areas here.

But wages are a lot higher than here. I got paid $22/HR to do landscape work in Gold Coast.

Working in the mining industry typically pays big money out there.

Driving on the wrong side of the road is pretty easy. But be careful at roundabouts and turns.

There were only a few times when I felt my I could be in an unsafe situation. But overall, I felt pretty safe over there.

Most Aussies are pretty friendly. Typically, if they aren't making fun of you then they don't like you. With that said, you gotta be able to dish it and take it, because they are a buncha shit stirrers.

If you have the opportunity to go down there for a while, I would take it. It's an absolutely wonderful place.

This is all spot on. Despite whomper being a little poofter nancyboy, he obviously got to know the place pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So how well do the Australian women like American men?

Within the next couple of weeks my job has me heading to an area several hours north east of Melbourne for six to eight months.

my wifes a sandgroper, if thats any indication.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't say spent a lot of time there. My wife grew up over there.  I was there 3 years ago for our honeymoon for a month, southern coast around Adelaide Canamble area.  Great country with some serious negatives.
First of all, the people are great, in fact it kind of reminded me of growing up in Iowa in the 70's.  The climate is great, and the food is awesome.  When I was there the money exchange was also pretty cool, I think it was like 70 cents to the dollar.
Negatives, no guns, no knives, no chewing tobacco.  Cigeretts are ok but no chew which was hell for me.  I also had a hell of a time finding Jack Daniels.....had to settle for Scotch.  Oh yeah, the TV sucked.

The sights are unbelievable, people are great, as was the food.  But no weapons, no chew, and no JD......

R

This but people in Sydney are like people in NYC, if you think New Yorkers are dicks, you'll think the same of sydneysiders.

Wages always, always look good here, it's not until you figure in cost of living, and taxes when you realize you fucked yourself work wise, unless you're in a highly paid job, and don't mind living cheap.  People say Sydney is the most expensive as far as cost of living, true, but we're talking maybe 10-20% more than Canberra or Brisbane when I looked last.  So for me and my skills I'd be much better off back home in Nebraska.  

You could always get a working holiday visa, good for a year, has restrictions though but I've never heard of immigration checking up on you.  4 years ago when I came I think you were limited to 20 hour weeks and you couldn't work the same job longer than so many months, again, they never checked.

I never did get the whole "CHEW IS ILLEGAL" thing when 9 times out of 10 if a cop catches someone with weed nothing and I mean nothing happens.  I don't give a fuck if my neighbor gets high, why do you care if I dip?  I don't, but like most of the laws here I just and go about my way looking forward to when I can go home again.

Sydneysiders arent so bad!  Maybe you have just been unlucky?

Sydney is damn expensive to live in.  Canberra is actually probably worse at the moment.  Rent is INSANE there, and if you do decide to buy property, there is shit all capital gain.  Brisbane and Melbourne are closing in on Sydney too.

Chew is illegal?  I remember seeing people buy it from petrol stations.  Times may have changed though...or I may have gone to too many dodgy petrol stations...

Horn use/ car ratio, holding doors open for old women/ male ratio is where I draw that conclusion.  Maybe the Inner West where I am is worse.  I'm from Nebraska, so it doesn't take much for us to consider someone impolite in all fairness.

I've asked about dip at tobacco shops, and that's where I heard about it being illegal.  Last time I asked was in Chatswood, doubt that's the target demographic though.

I've never had a cop bug me about my Leatherman.  The cops here are by far, literally the fucking nicest LEO's I have ever seen/dealt with.  Aussie cops have amazing patience.

Yeah the inner west is full of dickheads.  Heaps of yuppies there.  I live in the Hills district.  Full of nice people.  I strike up random conversations with people when waiting in lines all the time

I thought everyone in Canberra (only other city I've been too) were extremely polite.  I've yet to see an Arfcom sticker, though I did spot a Landcruiser in Concord with a Browning logo, and was kinda hoping to bump into whoever it was.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a few mining industry head hunters.  One of them works for an Australian firm and based is in Denver.  IM me if you would like contact information.

I don't think you'd have much trouble getting a job with a mining company if that's what you want to do.

ETA:  I'm a mining engineer.  Feel free to IM me with any questions.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Is anyone familiar with the Albury/Wodonga area?

That's where I'll be for six to eight months coming up here real soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

One of my cousins used to live there.  Border of NSW/Vic.  Boring as hell.  You can go hunting around there though

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of my cousins used to live there.  Border of NSW/Vic.  Boring as hell.  You can go hunting around there though

Hunting?  I was under the impression that private ownership of firearms were pretty much banned in Australia?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunting?  I was under the impression that private ownership of firearms were pretty much banned in Australia?

We run around with pointy sticks

It's not hard tO get a gun license. It's just a pain, and guns and ammo are damn expensive. I could get a license super easily, but I cant justify spending so much on guns and ammo at the moment
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top