Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That always irks me too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know what’s bothered me about it? The security guard tells McClane to type the name into the computer. Finds his wife. Security guard tells him they’re the only ones left in the building.

Seriously? Couldn’t have just told him that the party was on the 30th floor?

That always irks me too.

It's legitimate.  Had to see if his story checked out before he just gave some stranger access to the building.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
While we're doing this...

McClane listens to entire conversations in German, gets good views of their weapons, but tells Al he thinks the terrorists might be European because of... their clothes and cigarettes?

And that conference table... bulletproof enough to protect McClane for its entire length, but then he shoots up through it with no issue?
View Quote

Engineered wood is weird like that.

Marco was firing through the laminate side. McClane wasn't.

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
all good points..
one thing i dont get is the swat team wearing beanies. didnt they have helmets or something in the late 80’s?
also when they are making their way to the building they are all flagging each other and one dude almost incapacitated by a rose bush.
i dont think lapd swat has ever been that keystone.
was the point of this movie to show nypd superiority over lapd?
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What bothered me is the amount of continuity error is in the time it takes after the explosion for the Agent Johnson's ignited helicopter to then fall from the building.  Blows up and then many minutes later falls down???

At 2:40 the roof blows and takes out the chopper.  Bruce Willis has time for that intense scene where he clings to the fire hose, and it nearly pulls him down and out a window.  Minutes later at 3:49 in the video when Bruce is at the party floor with the fountains, the Chopper finally falls off the roof, blowing some windows inward with a blast he has to dodge.

Sure took a long time for the chopper to fall a few feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGhuJkAFdX4
View Quote

I agree, but also, what the hell happened to the second chopper?  Two are clearly seen flying low up the street to the rooftop scene:

Attachment Attached File

Did the second one just disappear, or did it land to deliver emergency donuts to the cops on the ground?

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#5]
How did Urkel not fuck it up for his neighbor?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Couldn't break the glass and walk through the openings?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I didn't understand the point of the "car." It drove up the steps and just sat there while Hans's crew put two rockets into it. It deployed no reinforcement troops, crashed down no doors/barriers or provided any support gunfire.

Yes. If it hadn't been shot, what exactly was it going to do?

Why not at least attempt entry through the garage?

I believe the terrorists welded the doors shut and chain doors sealed down the main entry ways, they need to ram thru the doors

Couldn't break the glass and walk through the openings?

That's another question.  Armed guys run up to the (wholly conspicuous and totally without cover OR concealment) front doors to the building, find that their key card doesn't work, and make the entirely tactical decision to break out the oxy-acetylene torch rather than just schiess dem pfenster?  I mean, busting out the glass would require new glass be installed.  Burning the entire door lock out of the frame would necessitate replacing both doors in their entirety, not to mention taking a million times longer, and exposing the guys to unfriendly fire for a million more minutes than was absolutely needed.  I should have been the tactical leader on the ground.  The entire situation would have been resolved differently.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...eh, Slick?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#8]

i turned 70 in october and still am troubled that i worked my college deferment and got passed over for the draft.  found out later my dad, WWII vet was considering getting me to canada to keep me out. it bothers me wondering about the guy who went in my place.  and now, knowing what stupidity put us there and what a waste it all was just makes me angry
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
A little synchronicity:

In the 1986 film, The Money Pit, Alexander Godunov plays a composer and when we first see him on screen, he is composing Beethoven's "Ode to Joy".

Attachment Attached File

The same song plays when the Nakatomi vault finally opens.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

McClane listens to entire conversations in German, gets good views of their weapons, but tells Al he thinks the terrorists might be European because of... their clothes and cigarettes?

And that conference table... bulletproof enough to protect McClane for its entire length, but then he shoots up through it with no issue?
View Quote

Marco was shooting through the table, missing McClane but driving him to the end.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 10:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A little synchronicity:

In the 1986 film, The Money Pit, Alexander Godunov plays a composer and when we first see him on screen, he is composing Beethoven's "Ode to Joy".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/319C83D3-0437-413A-96AB-531C5130E01B_jpe-2649329.JPG

View Quote

I think the word you're looking for here is... conductor.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know what’s bothered me about it? The security guard tells McClane to type the name into the computer. Finds his wife. Security guard tells him they’re the only ones left in the building.

Seriously? Couldn’t have just told him that the party was on the 30th floor?

View Quote

He needed to look for her as holly mclane to establish that she’s gone back to her maiden name in LA
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
all good points..
one thing i dont get is the swat team wearing beanies. didnt they have helmets or something in the late 80’s?
also when they are making their way to the building they are all flagging each other and one dude almost incapacitated by a rose bush.
View Quote

That guy with the rose bush "OUCH"
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh please.  What's this got to do with trains?

Link Posted: 12/26/2022 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
all good points..
one thing i dont get is the swat team wearing beanies. didnt they have helmets or something in the late 80's?

I've always wondered if that was done on purpose for the movie for him to say ouch or if that was just something which occurred in real life that his hand hit the thorn and he said ouch while they were filming.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#18]
What bothers me is their total lack of aiming. Would have been a much faster takeover and shut down of McLane if they used their sights while shooting at him.

Also, what’s with Karl’s dramatic presentation of his pistol. From the sky to eye level every time.

Other than that I think everything else in the movie is dead on accurate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've always wondered if that was done on purpose for the movie for him to say ouch or if that was just something which occurred in real life that his hand hit the thorn and he said ouch while they were filming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
all good points..
one thing i dont get is the swat team wearing beanies. didnt they have helmets or something in the late 80's?

Same here, I want to think is is the latter and it just worked and was kept. But... why even have him miked?

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What bothers me is their total lack of aiming. Would have been a much faster takeover and shut down of McLane if they used their sights while shooting at him.

Also, what’s with Karl’s dramatic presentation of his pistol. From the sky to eye level every time.

Other than that I think everything else in the movie is dead on accurate.
View Quote

Nobody aimed in the 80s. Look at any action movie from that time. Aiming was for pussies.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here, I want to think is is the latter and it just worked and was kept. But... why even have him miked?

View Quote

Wouldn’t have to be; if it was spontaneous and they decided to keep it, they could’ve dubbed his voice in afterwards to match his reaction.

But who knows either way
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It is a Christmas movie.  The whole thing is about family and self sacrifice.  What's not more Christmas than that.  Also the first scene with Argile is about Christmas, and so is the last scene.  The whole film is full of Christmas themes and events.  Final argument.  Is Home Alone a Christmas movie or a movie during Christmas?  Case closed.  
View Quote

Home Alone is Die Hard for kids.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to understand the Christmas movie/movie during Christmas debate.
View Quote

So you're saying you're part of the problem?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]
We're gonna need some more FBI guys
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:27:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The radios in all the die hard movies have me going nuts. yea, ignore that there all kenwood ham radios

I have huge issues with the so called CB communicators with ultra stubby antennas. John is on the roof calling police on CH 9, While hans was also on Ch 9 and heard it, so that means they're all on ch 9 lol wut? Al also has a CB in his police car and yells over the radio  and Hans is talking to his crew on the same channel after talking to john, but there was a moment when he pressed some buttons appearing to change channels to Theo but earlier on theo is listening to john and the police

in Die Hard 2 hes using an 800mhz cell phone to listen to VHF AM air band. Its got a six digit readout! That could be a million combinations. lol yea, the frequencies on the ham radio. They supposedly took out their radios, they can receive but cannot transmit LOL. In Die Hard 3 it was a little better, with no so many cell phones talking to radios
View Quote

User name checks out, I think...?  I wish I had the Simpsons geeks xylophone meme handy!
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So what was the point of having theo drill thru the locks? Why didn't they just blow up the power lines to the vault or wait out till then FBI shut it down? Wasn't Hans knowing that the fbi would shut down the power?

I know I know, its a movie were tearing apart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The vault scene  interesting too. If it loses power it opens up on the last lock?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/440308/magnets-magnets-make-a-meme-1-nu9zrb7lv4-2649257.JPG

Specifically, electromagnets.

Without power, they don't work.

So what was the point of having theo drill thru the locks? Why didn't they just blow up the power lines to the vault or wait out till then FBI shut it down? Wasn't Hans knowing that the fbi would shut down the power?

I know I know, its a movie were tearing apart

Jane you ignorant slut!

First locks were mechanical.   Final lock was electromagnetic
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
all good points..
View Quote

The Rose bush gag made me giggle.

Watched it just last night with my 15YO son who’s never seen it before but always wanted to as he’s seen references on Rick & Morty!

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A little synchronicity:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/4019/319C83D3-0437-413A-96AB-531C5130E01B_jpe-2649329.JPG

View Quote

You and I can be friends
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Marco was shooting through the table, missing McClane but driving him to the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was a classic 80s scene of hundreds of shots missing the good guy.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You know what's bothered me about it? The security guard tells McClane to type the name into the computer. Finds his wife. Security guard tells him they're the only ones left in the building.

Seriously? Couldn't have just told him that the party was on the 30th floor?

View Quote
Yes! This.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Watched it (again for the ~87th time since the 80s) with my 15YO who’s always wanted to see it based on pop culture references like from Rick & Morty.   Love watching 80s classics with my kids because they always bring me a new perspective.

What stood out on this viewing with Toad Jr was Hans Grubers “acting” as a lost hostage to fool McLane.  Alan Rickman played this so well on-screen that my son blinked and questioned “isn’t that the bad guy?”.  Toad Jr wasn’t 100% sure.  I had to pause and also explain that Rickman played Snape in Harry Potter.

Alan Rickman absolutely knocks it out of the park in this film.  RIP.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#32]
All I know is I don't care what Bruce Willis says.

IT IS A CHRISTMAS MOVIE.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A little synchronicity:

View Quote

He was Amish in Witness
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
All I know is I don't care what Bruce Willis says.

IT IS A CHRISTMAS MOVIE.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The vault scene  interesting too. If it loses power it opens up on the last lock?
View Quote

Bruh….electromagnetic seal. Without no electro there is no seal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Hmm in terms of the music.....

"Let it snow" really isn't a Christmas song - it's a "winter" song.   Same thing with "Jingle Bells" and "Winter Wonderland".

And Beethoven's 9th also isn't a Christmas song.  

Honestly, "Christmas in Hollis" is the only actual Christmas song in the whole movie!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Home Alone is Die Hard for kids.
View Quote

It's a tribute by Hughes to a movie he loves.

Home Alone is a Remake of Die Hard — All the Facts Explained

Link Posted: 12/28/2022 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top