BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a place in Chantilly called Willards and they do it right. VERY good BBQ. Smoked properly, good sauces.

I would put red hot and blue and famous daves as WORLD CLASS next to the slop I ate today.

I've never had Dickeys
View Quote

Willards is no joke.  They've won legit BBQ competitions.  Just because you're somewhere not "known for BBQ" doesn't mean that someone didn't move and start a business there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol I just ate some amazing BBQ at the bluffton BBQ joint.  I ordered a beer and she looked at me and said "we don't have Liquor license so the beer is free just grab it from that cooler "  I love this town.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

horrible reviews on yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-heat-bbq-reston
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just went to lunch with a former coworker and he recommended a BBQ place. I should have taken a picture of the "bbq".
It was a brisket and pulled pork combo.

The brisket was so fatty it was almost inedible. 60% of it was pure fat. the parts that actually had meat were also heavily marbled with fat. Now I like some fat, but this was absurd.
The pulled pork had obviously been made in a crock pot with no spices at all. I tried a piece plain with no sauce and it was dry flavorless pork. Crock pot pulled pork can be ok, but this had no smoke flavor, no spices. Just plain pork heated until soft.

So I put their Kansas style sauce on it. The sauce was horrid. It was sweeter than teriyaki sauce. About as thin as hot sauce, and about the same color. It was sweeter than it was flavored with spices.
About the only thing that tasted ok was the mac and cheese and that had so much grease in it that it was almost floating on a pool of it in the bowl.

What the hell.

ETA a small place called Sweet Heat in Reston, VA

horrible reviews on yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-heat-bbq-reston

Yeah. I did not pick it and I was not paying, so I did not look at reviews.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
LuLu's BBQ in VA BEACH VA SUCKS BALLZ

I love BBQ..period...all my life...KC, NC, Southern, TX...you name it I've eaten it, it is absolutely my favorite food.

2 JAN 2014 my son , his wife take us to LuLu's BBQ in Va Beach

WORST EXCUSE FOR BBQ I have ever had in my life..I had the Combo...Pulled Pork, Brisket and Sausage...I swear the Pulled Pork was the tailings from the bottom of the pan from yesterdays BBQ...chunks of fat, stringy meat sitting in a puddle of grease...my son had made a big deal out of how good this place was I didnt want to make a scene so I ate some of it...first time in my life I have ever left BBQ on the plate...the Brisket was dry and flaking apart, the sausage was the only redeeming factor of the meal...on top of that our waitress was obviously sick...I mean sick...really damned sick...barely making it to the table sick, refilling our glasses, trying to pretend she was ok, I actually remember telling her she shouldn't be working, she said they made her come in to cover her shift...we left there and went to a movie, popcorn...less than 12 hours later I was throwing up more violently than I had ever in my life...at one point I was praying I didn't actually die from a heart attack I was dry heaving so badly...at one point I was barking and shitting on myself explosively so bad I just climbed into the shower and curled up in a fetal position with the hot water running on me till it ran out, we have 2 55 gallon water heaters, it took awhile...puking and shitting went on for 6-8 hours non stop daughter came over, shes an ER nurse and diagnosed me as NORO Virus...she saw it right way, brought me to the ER, gave me an IV and other drugs...

So on top of getting the shittiest BBQ meal I have ever had from them, thier waitress gave me the NORO Virus and damn near killed me...

On top of that I could not bear the smell of BBQ...could not eat anything grilled, or smoked...this went on for a year or more...I tried several times...nearly thru up...

Mission BBQ came to town earlier this year...I tried again...smell nearly choked me, but I ordered some smoked turkey and sausage...took it outside to eat on the patio...everything went ok...still have not eaten pulled pork...the only pork I have eaten since 2 JAN 2014 is bacon...

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Reston! You're lucky you didn't end up with ebola. Still, I think I'd rather have monkey aids than barbequed fat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Mental note - avoid like ebola.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mental note - avoid like ebola.

damn, less than a minute..
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you should come to NY.   the bbq up here is fucking horrible, there is one place in a small town that has decent stuff but most of it sucks.

IM Sent

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Have you tried Carolina Brothers in Ashburn? They do a good job. I am not saying it is the best of the best, but it is good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been all over and CO has the best BBQ.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have you tried Carolina Brothers in Ashburn? They do a good job. I am not saying it is the best of the best, but it is good.
View Quote

Nope. But I am more a Memphis or Texas style BBQ lover. Carolina BBQ is something I will eat, but not seek out with much enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#11]
We've got a shithole here in my town too that boils his shit. Fuck him...he wouldn't know real BBQ if it bit him on the ass. I have to smoke shit at home if I want anything edible in my zip code BBQ wise. I don't know how he hasn't been laughed out of town other than perhaps people have never had real BBQ here?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There are worse BBQ joints. Jim Miller and Spring Creek come to mind.

I had some ribs from Dickeys a couple weeks ago. They were OK...sort of.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
There are worse BBQ joints. Jim Miller and Spring Creek come to mind.

I had some ribs from Dickeys a couple weeks ago. They were OK...sort of.

For an inexpensive chain place, I think it's okay.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Kinda funny, out of 60 some odd restaurants here, the highest rated on Yelp! is a BBQ place served out of a truck.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/naamans-championship-bbq-texarkana

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/7T5jczkPVJFV2bVjO5uwuA/l.jpg
View Quote

Best local BBQ here was a tiny little place attached to a car wash of all places.

Unfortunately, the pitmaster seems to have trouble staying on the right side of the law, thanks to the sauce (the other kind of sauce).  When he's not there because prison, his brother runs it and it's shit.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now I like some fat, but this was absurd.
View Quote

Generally when someone says there's too much fat in some meat, I figure they're full of shit.

When they put it this way, I take his word for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#15]
California has a whole lot to offer. Good BBQ doesnt seem to be one of those things (In my experience)
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't really get how 'KC BBQ sauce' is super thick and sweet.  I lived there for 6 years and never came across sauce like that
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Good BBQ isn't fast, and fast BBQ isn't good.  Still, Dickey's isn't the worst for fast BBQ.  I save that honor for the Buddy's Chain in Eastern TN & KY.  I ate there once, and the pork came out SLICED!  At that point, you're not seving bar-b-que but roast pork.

I've got an uncle running a B-B-Q restaurant in Crossville, TN that is pretty good.  Another good one is Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q in Warrior, AL.

James
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is  Sweet Heat in Reston, VA. I don;t think it is a chain. I think it is just a mom and pop operation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever you do don't tell us the name of the place or any important information that would help us avoid said bbq.

It is  Sweet Heat in Reston, VA. I don;t think it is a chain. I think it is just a mom and pop operation.

Reston is pretty hoity toity. I wouldn't expect to find good BBQ there.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Wife and went to a new place and the meat came out almost cold and no tast.
We ate a little bit complained and left 2 hours later both of us where sick from it.

Now we stick to the places we know to be great.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
California has a whole lot to offer. Good BBQ doesnt seem to be one of those things (In my experience)
View Quote

There's a place in half moon bay in an old caboose that has fantastic BBQ.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Worst BBQ I have ever had was at the Circus Circus in Reno.
It's very hard to fuck up BBQ, but they did an excellent job of it
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever you do don't tell us the name of the place or any important information that would help us avoid said bbq.

True. Good BBQ usually comes from "lower class" areas. But being as uppity froo froo as Reston is, I would not be surprised to find a world class BBQ joint in between the organic market and FroYo place. Because closet meat loving vegetarians would pay out the nose for it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

weeeeeellllllllll......

It is hard for BBQ to not be "ok". Even "ok" bbq is enjoyable. Making "good" bbq is not overly difficult, but most people don;t want to put in the time. Making it world class takes talent. IMO
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Sounds like the time I eat at a BBQ joint in Helena MT...can't remember the name of the place, but it was horrible....ordered the brisket, and what I got was a plate of fatty, grisly, bland, thin sliced "meat".  Nonetheless, it got tossed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!
View Quote

This...x87

I learned a lot from a mouthy black lady in line ahead of me at a "order it yourself bbq place" one time...she looked at what they had put on her tray, didn't touch it, and said "I'm not eating that...Take that back and get me some food" when they handed her a plate of chopped brisket that was obviously half fat-half gristle. At first I thought she was just being a bitch until I saw what they had handed her.

I've used that same term a few times now...not to the extent of "Falling Down", but used it nonetheless.

"I'm not eating that, take it back and get me some real food."
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
note where in the country you are, not that far from the Carolinas

they have excellent BBQ there, just sayin'

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just went to lunch with a former coworker and he recommended a BBQ place. I should have taken a picture of the "bbq".
It was a brisket and pulled pork combo.

The brisket was so fatty it was almost inedible. 60% of it was pure fat. the parts that actually had meat were also heavily marbled with fat. Now I like some fat, but this was absurd.
The pulled pork had obviously been made in a crock pot with no spices at all. I tried a piece plain with no sauce and it was dry flavorless pork. Crock pot pulled pork can be ok, but this had no smoke flavor, no spices. Just plain pork heated until soft.

So I put their Kansas style sauce on it. The sauce was horrid. It was sweeter than teriyaki sauce. About as thin as hot sauce, and about the same color. It was sweeter than it was flavored with spices.
About the only thing that tasted ok was the mac and cheese and that had so much grease in it that it was almost floating on a pool of it in the bowl.

What the hell.

View Quote

Ah, a fellow novaer.  Never heard of it, but there's really no true, good bbq in northern va.  Even Willards is kind of a joke.  Sir, it's time to invest in a smoker and kiss your weekends goodbye.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:35:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
you should come to NY.   the bbq up here is fucking horrible, there is one place in a small town that has decent stuff but most of it sucks.

View Quote

Dinosaur BBQ is one of my top favorites.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

weeeeeellllllllll......

It is hard for BBQ to not be "ok". Even "ok" bbq is enjoyable. Making "good" bbq is not overly difficult, but most people don;t want to put in the time. Making it world class takes talent. IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

weeeeeellllllllll......

Exactly...it wasn't even wife threw it in the crock pot because she was lazy BBQ.
This stuff wasn't even palatable...couldn't eat it

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Yelp photo of the "ribs" from the place the op went too...

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, in NOVA, try Dixie Bones in Woodbridge.  I can't speak for the brisket, the ribs I've have there were good.

In Virginia Beach, try The Beach Bully.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I like it. Not really sure how bad it could suck with 470 restaurants, but what do I know, I'm not of the BBQ master race.

The banana pudding from there is awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!

I like it. Not really sure how bad it could suck with 470 restaurants, but what do I know, I'm not of the BBQ master race.

went to one in Spokane somewhere, it was okay.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/odVArEoeEHaPgk1OQRzyDA/l.jpg

View Quote

Looks more like BBBQ  BOILED BBQ
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:12:11 PM EDT
[#34]
"Jacks" indowntown Nashville is the best I`ve ever had. I believe I`ll start the crawl on my belly now for some brisket.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Come to east Texas sometime. We are the bbq desert of texas. The entire region has two worthwhile bbq restaurants.

There is a chain here called Bodacious BBQ, it is the worst bbq I've had but people here love it for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://s3-media1.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/odVArEoeEHaPgk1OQRzyDA/l.jpg

View Quote

Those are... ribs?!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I had lunch at Central BBQ today and it was good.  Sat out on the patio and enjoyed the view of the UofM coeds while munching on some yummy pig.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There is a place in Chantilly called Willards and they do it right. VERY good BBQ. Smoked properly, good sauces.
View Quote

Are you on drugs? I know you're in northern Virginia and all, but holy shit. Willard's?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are near Middletown Brian's Backyard BBQ is pretty good
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#40]
There is pretty much one good thing about Memphis:  BBQ.

There are BBQ places everywhere, and even the so-so places are better than most I have seen across the country.

The REALLY good places, like Central BBQ, are ran by multiple Memphis In May BBQ Fest winners.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had lunch at Central BBQ today and it was good.  Sat out on the patio and enjoyed the view of the UofM coeds while munching on some yummy pig.
View Quote

Geez, you went to the original location?  I haven't been there since the Summer store opened.

We go to Central on Wednesdays.  EVERY WEDNESDAY.  Why?  Because Wednesday is BBQ Day!

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My wife is from Syracuse.  She keeps telling me how wonderful the bbq is at a certain place.  The name starts with a D.  I don't have the heart to ask her if they serve chicken riggies too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife is from Syracuse.  She keeps telling me how wonderful the bbq is at a certain place.  The name starts with a D.  I don't have the heart to ask her if they serve chicken riggies too.

Dinosaur BBQ. It's really good.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Two worst places I have eaten have been Dickey's and Bill Miller's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I can vouch for Dixie Bones as well. Been around a long time. And if you're in Richmond, hit Bennie's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:53:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can vouch for Dixie Bones as well. Been around a long time. And if you're in Richmond, hit Bennie's.
View Quote

Same here. The best in that entire region.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Are you on drugs? I know you're in northern Virginia and all, but holy shit. Willard's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Willards tried to look like a bbq place but it's sub par compared to a true smoke house.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dixie bones is the only answer for BBQ in NOVA
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:08:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it a Dickeys?

Dickeys SUCKS ASS!

I've been to the Dickeys in Midland TX, and the one in Spokane.  The food was good, at both....leagues better than the Longhorn.  RJ's BBQ in San Angelo was about the best I had.  We were warned before we went in, that we better know what we wanted when it was time to order, otherwise the lady would kick you outta line.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Worst I had was a chain

http://assets.bizjournals.com/baltimore/blog/charm-city-flavor/Mission-BBQ-2*304.jpg?v=1

I tried some of each of the four meats with a cup pf each of the six sauces. The meats ranged from "too salty" to "might as well eat kosher salt by the spoonful". And I didn't like any of the sauces.

View Quote

Glad I skipped that last night in Pax River.  Pondered it briefly, put pushed on for some pretty good carnitas tacos.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I agree. But a brisket should not be more fat than meat! If I broke it down it was probably 70% fat. I'm not sure how that much remained after cooking! I'm guessing they just used an oven and it was the cheapest crap brisket cut they could get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fat gives the flavor..... or not. I am so sick of greasy shitty food, its difficult to go out to eat.

I agree. But a brisket should not be more fat than meat! If I broke it down it was probably 70% fat. I'm not sure how that much remained after cooking! I'm guessing they just used an oven and it was the cheapest crap brisket cut they could get.
Probably got ahold of the upper lobe. That part of the brisket is "ok" for making chopped beef sandwiches but not served as a center of the plate entree. That or they cut it wrong.  These are details they should really be on top of if they want to run a BBQ business.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top