Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Page two.

I'm convinced someone is getting kickbacks over this bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a TI-83 Plus, it was a hand me down from my sister. I gave it back to her when I was done using it for pre-calc.

My dad has been using a Construction Master 3 from the 90's for some time now, I remember playing with it in his office when I was little and asking him what each of the buttons did. He still drags it out when he's reviewing blueprints.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

RPN master race here.

Had one of these growing up

http://le-rayon-des-calculatrices.fr/WordPress3/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HP48G.jpg

Only died a few years ago. Have an emulator on my phone now, and a HP35s for regular duties
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAS master race checking in.

RPN master race here.

http://le-rayon-des-calculatrices.fr/WordPress3/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HP48G.jpg

Only died a few years ago. Have an emulator on my phone now, and a HP35s for regular duties

I still have a GX and 15C.  The 48GX sits on my work desk and the 15C on my home desk. These days they are only 20 feet or so apart.  The Ipad had a 48 emulator and the cell phone a 15C emulator.  So, what branch of engineering do you work in?  Mechanical here...

I am trying to remember the place that you could down load software from them from.  Wu something, and you had to ftp it from a unix command line.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I still have my 48SX from college. Very capable but many professors wouldn't allow them in exams since you could store information and get periodic chart carts for them. So I had a cheaper TI solar scientific non-graphing calculator for tests. It is still my go-to calc!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RPN master race here.

I still have my 48SX from college. Very capable but many professors wouldn't allow them in exams since you could store information and get periodic chart carts for them. So I had a cheaper TI solar scientific non-graphing calculator for tests. It is still my go-to calc!

We were allowed to use them in all but one class. They also knew how to clear them and TI's.  For the HP's there is a reset switch under one of the pads on the bottom that resets it to the factory settings.  The TI's could also be reset but I don't recall how as I didn't have one.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why  hasn't the price of Texas Instruments graphing calculators changed at all in the last 25 years? Seriously, they are the same price now as when I was in junior high 25 years ago. WTF?
View Quote
Why complain about a good thing?
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had an HP48GX.
View Quote

Edit: still have two and use them
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I am HP all the way.  Had a HP21 in college and then upgraded to the HP41….from there went the HP48…

I have the HP21, 41, 67 and 48 on my phone.  

Bought a like new HP21 on eBay and that is on my desk now
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We were allowed to use them in all but one class. They also knew how to clear them and TI's.  For the HP's there is a reset switch under one of the pads on the bottom that resets it to the factory settings.  The TI's could also be reset but I don't recall how as I didn't have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 48G and GX could also be reset by holding down the top two corner buttons and the bottom left button.  The teacher called it the Vulcan Blast, because you could press the buttons while giving the Vulcan salute.  
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The 48G and GX could also be reset by holding down the top two corner buttons and the bottom left button.  The teacher called it the Vulcan Blast, because you could press the buttons while giving the Vulcan salute.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember having 2 Ti 89 titaniums just for this reason.  As the TA walked past and cleared the memory on the first one before the exam started I slipped the second one out from my hoodie and exchanged them. I remember having all of the answers from the physics exams that were circulated around campus.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure most places just use an emulator on iPad now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ve literally not even checked the price of those fuckers since I was a failing engineering student back in 1990.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]

I remember Wolfenstein and Mario, but they managed to fit Chrono Tigger on a calculator?!?!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a ti 89 kicking around here. If anyone has a child in need of a calculator for the school year let me know and I’ll send it to you.
View Quote

They're fucking picky on which ones you're allowed to use on which tests.
TI89 is good for doing your homework or college courses, but I don't think they're allowed on any standardized tests.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

RPN master race here.

View Quote

If you still have that my boss came in and showed me a fix on that.  Our IT guy found it on the internet, you wrap a rubber band around it between the screen and the top row of buttons and it might start working again.  My boss couldn't believe it.  I'm pissed because I had a g and a gx and they both eventually went out and I just tossed one of them.  I really whish HP would remake them, I'd buy one for the home and one for the office.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#17]
They are dumb computers now that's why.
Easier to crank out.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I wore a Casio CFX into algebra 1 and 2 in high school.
I would stealth reverse proof almost every question on the test ... for two years and "got away with it."

Was a tiny town and we literally had one math instructor in High School. I got into calc 1 and he told me not to wear the watch on day one. Was gobsmacked.
"You won't have a calculator all the time and they can't really do EVERYTHING. I saw you were just using it to check your work but I want to see paper proofs in this class."

Made me much less confident about blowing through a test... Here's to you Mr. Green. I've literally never been more than a foot from a calculator since 1997.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I used mine to play "pimp quest" circa 2001
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Still have my Ti-82 from 1994 HS.
View Quote

This.  Though when I dug it out for the oldest kid a couple years ago, they wanted him to have a newer model.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Pickett. It didn’t need batteries.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I have emulators for TI-89, HP48, HP12C, TI BA2, and TI CX CAS on my phone. I also have a slide rule app. Mostly just to spite my 6th grade algebra teacher, who insisted I wouldn't always have a calculator.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:21:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I still have and use a TI-83 regularly for work and, sometimes, hobbies (reloading).
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Interestingly,  on the cutting edge and trailing edge nodes, cost per transistor has actually increased since ~2015/2016 with the introduction of 3d transistors(Finfet).
28nm planar was the last cutting edge process node that actually decreased the cost per transistor. 22/20nm planar was experiencing too much leakage which is why it was basically skipped for the vast majority of customers until they(TSMC) moved to FinFet.
Once they moved to different gate designs, they were no longer seeing historically "normal" density scaling which is why process nodes no longer have any real meaning, especially when considering density measurements.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Stfu
I need to buy one for my kid soon
Hope it’s the same price my dad paid lol
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still using my 48GX

RPN master race.
View Quote

SwissMicros DM41X for the RPN master race win.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I use an emulator on my phone since my middle school ti-83 took a dump.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
* hooks up cable
* transfers program
* invests everything in ludes
* doesn't elaborate
View Quote

Hello fellow dopewars enthusiast.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

RPN master race here.

View Quote

RPN for the win.  It’s stupid that calculators do it any other way.  I still have a 32s II sitting on my desk that I picked up 28 years ago my freshman year of HS.  Used it all through college while everyone else was on their TI-83s…. TAs didn’t know what it was or how to clear it, lol.  Still prefer it today vs any other calc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:42:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
* hooks up cable
* transfers program
* invests everything in ludes
* doesn't elaborate
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

RPN master race here.

View Quote
^^^This is the way. None of my kids can use my 48G, which is fine. And the Droid48 emulator is excellent.

I also have used TI-84 emulators. You can pull the ROM off of your own computer. With the 3rd kid starting college, it's really annoying to be paying $115 or so for a calculator with a chip that's probably worth $5 at this point.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Still using my 48GX

RPN master race.
View Quote

My HP11 and HP15 keyboards both failed. Probably from abuse in my machine shop Have a HP35 something now. I only know RPN and can't use a "normal" calculator. Been using RPN exclusively since ~1974. Nothing else makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:57:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had a statistics teacher in college who said he bought one of the very first desk-top electronic calculators.
I had plus, minus and multiply - no divide.
$600 in back-then dollars.
View Quote

I remember my dad fished his calculator out of a toilet once back in the late 70's after it fell out of his shirt pocket. When I asked why he would do that he said because it cost $500 or something. I don't remember the exact amount, but it seemed to be a fortune to a 6 year old.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a statistics teacher in college who said he bought one of the very first desk-top electronic calculators.
I had plus, minus and multiply - no divide.
$600 in back-then dollars.
View Quote

I have never heard of anything less than a four banger.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:06:14 AM EDT
[#37]
I made my own calculator games back in the day.   Some of the displays were awful especially if you were on weak ass batteries.

I cannot for the life of me remember where my scientific calculator from school got off to, which sucked when I realized I actually needed one in the shop.  (It had been in the shop on my loading bench and got misplaced in a move, no doubt kicking around in the bottom of a bin somewhere).

Ended up picking up several newer TI models to try them out.   I still want to find the old one though.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:14:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:19:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rpn is junk and so are hp calculators.
View Quote

HP is junk, but RPN is not.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I only  use a keuffel and esser log log decitrig.

View Quote

Bloody brilliant.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:38:30 AM EDT
[#42]
if you need a ti 89, you can get it for free on android.
download 'graph 89' app for android. download ti89 rom from ti.
https://www.ticalc.org/programming/emulators/romdump.html

graph89 will load the rom and give you a working ti89 with all of the updates. the software supports almost all the roms, like 85 or 83. this really only helps if you're doing homework or using it for work.

if you're taking an exam, then you'll need a real one, but that's kind of standard.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

if you need a ti 89, you can get it for free on android.
download 'graph 89' app for android. download ti89 rom from ti.
https://www.ticalc.org/programming/emulators/romdump.html

graph89 will load the rom and give you a working ti89 with all of the updates. the software supports almost all the roms, like 85 or 83. this really only helps if you're doing homework or using it for work.

if you're taking an exam, then you'll need a real one, but that's kind of standard.
View Quote

Why not just buy a cheap calculator? Do you like being tracked by mutliple companies? CELLPHONES ARE SPYWARE.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My HP11 and HP15 keyboards both failed. Probably from abuse in my machine shop Have a HP35 something now. I only know RPN and can't use a "normal" calculator. Been using RPN exclusively since ~1974. Nothing else makes sense to me.
View Quote

Same here, Go RPN or Go Home

We used to have calculation races in college....HP vs TI for a given calculation and I used to smoke the TI guys, many 1/3 of the time as a TI.

I could make my HP21 sing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Officer Hardass and his deputies are after you!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We used to have calculation races in college....HP vs TI for a given calculation and I used to smoke the TI guys, many 1/3 of the time as a TI.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being able to operate the stack in an RPN calculator is key. If you don't know what it is, you probably don't get the point or why it's so much better than algebraic calculators. But once you learn to keep previous calculations in the stack to use again later, without having to save as a variable or write them down and enter them again, boy you can fly.

I remember writing a program to calculate laminate properties based off of lamina properties, thicknesses, and ply orientations (this was a composites class). Once the material data was entered, it was basically all operation signs. It was tough to get right, but once it did it was awesome. Everyone else in the class had to do those manually on their TI calculators (I guess they could have programmed as well), but the professor didn't care, since I made the tool myself.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I was literally just talking about this with my wife last week. We got my sons school supply list for next year and it was on it. When we went to buy one it was still the same price I remember it being in 1999.

I also remember my parents being equally as pissed as we were about it . Probably even more so now because there are 100 free apps that will do everything and more than these calculators for free and they get issued iPads From their school so just download the app .
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Officer Hardass and his deputies are after you!!
View Quote

I was also a huge nerd. They gave (well, year loan, we had to return them) us old TI-81 one year, so I had one even though I had my HP as well. The 81 didn't have the data port, so I couldn't get the games my friends in different classes had (I was in a more advanced math, for whatever reason the younger grades for the newer calculators).

So, I just programmed drugwars myself into the 81. Took about every bit of memory it had, and I had to leave out a part of two I think.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was literally just talking about this with my wife last week. We got my sons school supply list for next year and it was on it. When we went to buy one it was still the same price I remember it being in 1999.

I also remember my parents being equally as pissed as we were about it . Probably even more so now because there are 100 free apps that will do everything and more than these calculators for free and they get issued iPads From their school so just download the app .
View Quote

When I was in HS the classes that needed a graphing calculator gave one to you along with your textbook, you only had to pay for it if you couldn’t return it in the same condition.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I had a TI-83+ in high school.

...and I was the only nerd at my school who knew how to write programs on it.

There was a pretty nice periodic table of elements program that I grabbed from online, too.

Ahhhh, memories from 20 years ago...
View Quote

I once was accused by other students in my physics class of cheating. I wrote my own programs to solve for whatever variables in whatever equation we were learning. Teacher took one look at the code and said, if he can write that he probably understands the equation.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top