Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No one for the DMZ,  Seoul, South Korea,  Etc?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Middle of the ocean.

you thinking one of the old russian nuke boats will go boom? or are you implying an attack on one of our CVN groups?

probably a nuclear torpedo attack.

Think about it, in this theater Nuclear weapons are more accepted because they dont involve killing cities of people.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the post above my bet is on a tunnel under the city of Sole in Korea.  I think it will be  20 Megaton.  China will be behind it, pushing Kim Jons buttons so they can advance on Tiawan and take the oil fields to the south that where found a few yrs ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Iran

Nobody will ever launch a nuclear attack on Iran.  

However, Iran's nuclear program may suffer a tragic "accident".

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it will be in a shipping container.  The sorts of bombs available to terrorists will be of the 20-30kt type.  Do do much damage to a city they can't be 5 miles away in a harbor, they need to be right downtown, or better yet detonated in a plane at 1,000 ft.

My target guess list:

NYC
DC
Chicago
Miami
LA
SanFran
Seattle
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably somewhere where Jack Bauer isn't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good question, my predictions would be:
1. Jerusalem/Tel Aviv
2. Tehran
3. New Delhi
4. Islamabad
5. Taiwan

If you are a Christian you can rule out the first choice.   According to the Bible Jerusalem will not get nuked.   That will probably also rule out tel aviv.

There is a section in Isaiah that strongly suggests Damascus, Syria, is not so fortunate, however.

There was once an arfcommer who had the relevant text as his signature, IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#8]
HOW ABOUT A NICE GAME OF CHESS?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... they can't be 5 miles away in a harbor, they need to be right downtown, ...

Like the Inner Harbor in Baltimore or South Side Seaport in NYC?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:56:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... they can't be 5 miles away in a harbor, they need to be right downtown, ...

Like the Inner Harbor in Baltimore or South Side Seaport in NYC?

But do freighters from the Middle East (or even Europe) tie up in the Inner Harbor or South Street Seaport?  Not sure I have ever seen that.  Freighters in Baltimore tend to dock at the freight terminals which are some distance from Inner Harbor.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Tokyo, and it will be the N. Koreans that did it. China might use this as an excuse to annex N. Korea and thereby extend their influence geopolitically in the region with the full blessing of the UN general assembly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Middle of the ocean.

What would happen if you set one off 500 feet below the surface?
I'm thinking a pretty big wave.

It would take one in the 100s of Megatons to cause a big wave.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Vatican City...
Paris.
Tokyo

But if its done by a Islamic terrorist looking for a Holy War.. Mecca.. Then blame it on the West..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
www.ken-welch.com/

At this time the device remains hidden on board the ship that brought it, a freighter docked in or near the port of Texas City, about thirty minutes south of Houston, and only ten miles from the island city of Galveston.

The tin foil is strong with this one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By John Parker:

Quoted:
Savannah, GA

Why Savannah? Hell I live there!

Big Port.

BTW did you know that the AF lost a bomb just off the coast in the 1960's?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But do freighters from the Middle East (or even Europe) tie up in the Inner Harbor or South Street Seaport?  Not sure I have ever seen that.  Freighters in Baltimore tend to dock at the freight terminals which are some distance from Inner Harbor.  

GunLvr

I've seen foreign sailing vessles tied up right next to the Light Stree Pavilion.  You don't need a freighter.

But if you wanted to use a freighter.  What is to stop them from killing the harbor pilot then driving the ship into the inner harbor before detonation?    Think Q-ship concept instead of a legit freighter that doesn't know what it's carrying.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Happens all the time at the Golden Corral.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GunLvr

I've seen foreign sailing vessles tied up right next to the Light Stree Pavilion.  You don't need a freighter.

But if you wanted to use a freighter.  What is to stop them from killing the harbor pilot then driving the ship into the inner harbor before detonation?    Think Q-ship concept instead of a legit freighter that doesn't know what it's carrying.

That requires them to have an AQ-controlled ship and crew.  I am not sure how likely that is.  I thought the "big risk" was them putting a bomb in a container, and using a GPS-timer-trigger on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That requires them to have an AQ-controlled ship and crew.  ....

All it takes a few members of the crew to have firearms and be AQ members, at the right time they storm the bridge and take over (think 9/11 scenario only with a ship).

Alternatively they could just hijack the ship at sea, that is not an uncommon event in certain parts of the world.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
NYC

Or Los Angelas, Houston, ...

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey AROptics, care to share the real answer?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That requires them to have an AQ-controlled ship and crew.  ....

All it takes a few members of the crew to have firearms and be AQ members, at the right time they storm the bridge and take over (think 9/11 scenario only with a ship).

Alternatively they could just hijack the ship at sea, that is not an uncommon event in certain parts of the world.

Still seems difficult to do.  One or two non-AQ men could really slow down a cargo ship, especially if they figure they are going to die anyway.  

There are much easier ways to get a nuke into the country, and especially much better ways to light one off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Strait of Hormuz.

That's a good possibilty.It would cause a major disruption to shipping and put the world economy (mostly ours) into a tailspin.Probably would be one of the easiest to do,too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
www.ken-welch.com/
At this time the device remains hidden on board the ship that brought it, a freighter docked in or near the port of Texas City, about thirty minutes south of Houston, and only ten miles from the island city of Galveston.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top