Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If they had been sunk on the bottom at least they could have ate that little dog.

I LOVE EATING DOGS!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why do I even bother coming to this place? h

P.S. It was a FICTIONAL MOVIE! hr

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, so what was unrealistic about the movie?  Waht was wrong with it?

A)  Situation never would have happened.  Second (partial) EAM would have come in, crew would have looked at it, said "oh, well", and squeezed the trigger--THEN gone back and asked about the partial EAM.

Your highest priority is to make your keyturn on time.  Period, dot.  Nothing, not a bathroom break, not a missing arm, not a partial EAM, gets in the way of your initial commit time (ICT).  Equipment failure or death are the only two acceptable excuses for not making ICT.

B)  Crews are too highly trained to do that kind of crap.  It's all pavlovian knee-jerk responses--the bell rings, the crews start salivating.  

C)  The idea of a mutiny on a Navy vessel of any sort is pretty far-fetched, if you ask me.

D)  Minor detail, but still bugs me.  They rack their weapons so many times they should have emptied the magazines in about 30 seconds.  Every time someone wanted to make a point, or they got spooked, or they rounded a corner, you heard a slide or bolt move.  There should have been enough loose ammo on the deck to cause a slipping/tripping hazard.

Crimson Tide is to the navy sub service as Iron Eagle was to the Air Force.

+1,000,000  That was utterly rediculous.  But overall, I still enjoyed the movie.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
The scarriest part for me was when I watched it for the first time and at the end it was explained that they no longer give the responsibilty to the Officers on board but that they give it to the President and Bill was President.  I could hardly sleep after that!

Patty
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

D)  Minor detail, but still bugs me.  They rack their weapons so many times they should have emptied the magazines in about 30 seconds.  Every time someone wanted to make a point, or they got spooked, or they rounded a corner, you heard a slide or bolt move.  There should have been enough loose ammo on the deck to cause a slipping/tripping hazard.

Iron Eagle wasn't real?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron Eagle wasn't real?

I must have wasted my time with Iron Eagle II and III then, was there a III?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Try it like this:

Quoted:

<<SQUAWK>>

*NOW HEAR THIS*  *NOW HEAR THIS*

This is the Captain speaking.

For all those people complaining about the realism in Crimson Tide,

Be advised It is just a movie!  

An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.

A lie.

That is all.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Since the sub-mariners and enthusiasts have gathered, it's as good a place to ask as any.

So, Crimson Tide turns out differently, they launch, their tubes are empty.

WWIII is in progress and they've shot their load.  What do they do now?  Go circle under the arctic ice cap until peace breaks out?  Do they return to their home port to re-arm?  Could we re-arm SSBNs rapidly in a nuclear war, assuming the port still existed?

Jim
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Since the sub-mariners and enthusiasts have gathered, it's as good a place to ask as any.

WWIII is in progress and they've shot their load.  What do they do now?  Go circle under the arctic ice cap until peace breaks out?  Do they return to their home port to re-arm?  Could we re-arm SSBNs rapidly in a nuclear war, assuming the port still existed?

Jim

They wait to surface until the zombies have ravaged the earth, and rescue the remaining survivors... a surprising percentage of which turn out to be jiggling brassiere models who know how to clean guns, the sub, and make sammiches... and make repeated comments on how long and hard the sub is...
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If they had been sunk on the bottom at least they could have ate that little dog.

I LOVE EATING DOGS MONKEY MEAT !

Fixed it

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Jim

I assume once all the nukes are shot they go sub hunting
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
To quote the syllabus for my course in War, Peace, and Strategy (an otherwise interesting class):

Crimson Tide....
Fictional presentation of dilemmas in nuclear strategy.

Sigh...... this could be a long semester.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:21:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quote from Tango7:

jiggling brassiere models who know how to clean guns, the sub, and make sammiches... and make repeated comments on how long and hard the sub is...

...and full of seamen!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quote from Tango7:

jiggling brassiere models who know how to clean guns, the sub, and make sammiches... and make repeated comments on how long and hard the sub is...

...and full of seamen!

Ha ha, when Navy squidleys get out of the military they're discharged seman...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... I must have wasted my time with Iron Eagle II and III then, was there a III?

And a IV, IIRC...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
To quote the syllabus for my course in War, Peace, and Strategy (an otherwise interesting class):

Crimson Tide....

Especially if you like to bring up old threads such as this
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The scarriest part for me was when I watched it for the first time and at the end it was explained that they no longer give the responsibilty to the Officers on board but that they give it to the President and Bill was President.  I could hardly sleep after that!

Patty

I noticed that too. And it is the most chilling part of the movie.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

I noticed that too. And it is the most chilling part of the movie.

Sounded impressive but has never been true.  the decision to launch has NEVER been with the officers on board.  

The President and Secretary of Defense, or their duly designated successors, are the sole authorities for the execution and termination of nuclear weapons.  Always have been, always will.  Officers may have had the discretion to launch or not launch based on circumstances, but NEVER without a duly authenticated execute order.

It actually irritated me to see that little bit of sensationalist misinformation.

And, I was a missileer when Clinton was the National Command Authority, and it worried me to, in ways I can never tell anyone about......
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crimson Tide....

Well, letssee, i could start a whole new thread on how this shitty movie is on the syllabus of a graduate course at an Ivy League university, posing as a source of value, or I could tack it on to this thread.

And yes, I was bored enough to be surfing ARFCOM in class... as I am now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Having spent 4 years on a Trident it makes for great comedy, kinda like Down Periscope or something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
"In the nuclear era, the greatest enemy is war itself"

Good line. Kinda chilling. Fun movie.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
the gay whale that swallows all the seamen
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crimson Tide....

Well, letssee, i could start a whole new thread on how this shitty movie is on the syllabus of a graduate course at an Ivy League university, posing as a source of value, or I could tack it on to this thread.

And yes, I was bored enough to be surfing ARFCOM in class... as I am now.

Teachers love movie day. It's like a vacation for them.

ETA: I liked Crimson Tide.  The fact that I agree with the evil racist old warmonger makes me feel warm inside.

And the closest I've ever been to a submarine is when I visited family in Norfolk.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top