User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You haven't used it and can't comment on it, but have decided it is the best?
View Quote

This is why we can't have nice things,  but it is why I love GD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Good enough when I was 8 , dammit.....good enough now at 48 (and geet offa muh lawn)

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/6252045/il_fullxfull.344996902.jpg
View Quote

When I got that flashlight as a kid, I'm sure I had the same expression of wonder and fascination as Luke Skywalker in the first star wars movie when he was at Ben Kenobi's crib on tatooine
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It drops from 1000 lumens to 600. It's thermal protection. Most quality lights have this. It's not like it turns off.

My UC35 does this. Huge output on high and turbo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cuts output 60% after 5 minutes? Sounds useful.

That's where I stopped reading.

It drops from 1000 lumens to 600. It's thermal protection. Most quality lights have this. It's not like it turns off.

And it's necessary due to it's small size.  With the current tech emitters, you'll need a larger light body for more heat dissipation to run longer without the regulation.

It looks pretty cool and a good deal, but I'll throw another +1 to the Fenix PD35.  I like the tail switch activation, I don't have to rotate the light around to find it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to say no, it's the Fury for best of the best of the best.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nope.

Not a Sunwayman V11R.

View Quote

My current EDC light!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nope.

Not a Sunwayman V11R.

View Quote

Yeah, but I'm biased and only if you're running an IMR 16340 in it.

If I could only have one light, it would be the XM-L2 U2 V11R and IMR cells.

Mine is a XM-L U2, so mine's a bit dated.

There are others out there--my EagleTac D25C Ti. clicky is pretty slick.  Smaller than the V11R and with decent mode spacing.  I run IMRs in that, as well.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ill stick with my SF...
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]

How well does the magnet in the tail cap demag all your credit cards?

That's really the benchmark for an EDC light.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
NEW Thermal management safety program provides overheating protection by dropping high output by 60% after 5 minutes of constant on
View Quote

What kind of pussy flashlight can only run 5 minutes at max output before being forced to drop to 40% output?

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What kind of pussy flashlight can only run 5 minutes at max output before being forced to drop to 40% output?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
NEW Thermal management safety program provides overheating protection by dropping high output by 60% after 5 minutes of constant on

Ones that are small and still put out 1000 OTF lumens.

Phizacks...how does it work?

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I stick with AA or AAA for EDC lights.

I'm not buying the 123 batteries(expensive) and I already have dozens of other devices using AA/AAA. I also have a good stock of rechargeable AA/AAA batteries, and charging station.

Been carrying it for YEARS. I've just about worn the finish off of it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Terrible "thermal management".
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Free Harbor Freight light
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And it's necessary due to it's small size.  With the current tech emitters, you'll need a larger light body for more heat dissipation to run longer without the regulation.

It looks pretty cool and a good deal, but I'll throw another +1 to the Fenix PD35.  I like the tail switch activation, I don't have to rotate the light around to find it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fenix with the tail cap switch over the Olight every time. My boss has the Olight side button single CR123 and he has to put the clip over the switch to avoid accidental activation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:22:28 PM EDT
[#15]
All pics taken with Iphone 6 on auto...

from 15feet.  Olight s30r on the left, Surefire Px2 Fury on the right.

Same from 45 feet

Olight only

Surefire only

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I still want a surefire
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not buying the 123 batteries(expensive) and I already have dozens of other devices using AA/AAA. I also have a good stock of rechargeable AA/AAA batteries, and charging station.

View Quote

Plenty of cr123s are $1 or less. Or buy a rechargeable for a few $ more and a really nice 4 cell charger is like $30 that will charge anything you have.

And the v11r also takes AA batteries with the extender piece

Here http://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-D4-Nitecore-Integrated-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00L1XYX4Y get this. A nitecore D4 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#18]

You sure you had it on high? The 500 lumen SF has a much bigger reflector and is putting a lot more light into the hot spot. I am not impressed with the Olight in your pictures.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You sure you had it on high? The 500 lumen SF has a much bigger reflector and is putting a lot more light into the hot spot. I am not impressed with the Olight in your pictures.
View Quote

The Olight has a much warmer tint and seemingly does well up close, but it also seems to wash out at 45'.

I love my little i3s AAA Olight, but I'm on the fence regarding their medium output pocket lights.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
If it took AAs, maybe.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my Elzetta Alpha.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a different but similar olight.  The side switch failed and their customer service is nonexistent.  Try finding even a number to call.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

Mine does 560 all day long and only gets slightly warm.  If you have to reduced power after only 5 minutes, you need to rethink your design.  

Sounds more like "war power"instead of 100% power
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Yes the Olight was on high.   I double checked.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Not worth a flip for last ditch self-defense.
I'll stick with my Fenix TK22 that'll rip half yore face off..........  

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Plenty of cr123s are $1 or less. Or buy a rechargeable for a few $ more and a really nice 4 cell charger is like $30 that will charge anything you have.

Here http://www.amazon.com/NiteCore-D4-Nitecore-Integrated-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00L1XYX4Y get this. A nitecore D4 and be done with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does me no good when the rest of my gear works on AA/AAA. I don't need a third battery type.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a different but similar olight.  The side switch failed and their customer service is nonexistent.  Try finding even a number to call.
View Quote

Took 3 clicks.

USA Headquarters
Olight

5912 Bolsa Ave, Suite 212
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
USA

Tel: 714 893-1300
Technical Support Hours: 8am-12pm, 1pm-3pm PST, Mon-Fri.

Clicked on Olight's webpage.
Clicked on North America.
Clicked on Contact Us.

Blam, fings puss.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Took 3 clicks.

USA Headquarters
Olight

USA

Clicked on Contact Us.

Blam, fings puss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Took 3 clicks.

USA Headquarters
Olight

USA

Clicked on Contact Us.

Blam, fings puss.

I called it, they never answered, even during "business hours".  Fuckem I will not buy another o-light.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The Olight has a much warmer tint and seemingly does well up close, but it also seems to wash out at 45'.

I love my little i3s AAA Olight, but I'm on the fence regarding their medium output pocket lights.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

The pocket sized lights like my UC35 and the PD35 suffer a bit from their shallow reflectors in throw comparisons. I actually really like and need the bigger hot spot for my job. I'm not out comparing my lights to each other every day.

I will say that all my larger reflector lights in the same lumen range do throw a lot further than the UC35.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Multi-function side switch with five brightness levels, plus a strobe mode
View Quote

Nope. On/off only is best. Straight-forward approaches are better.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ill stick with my SF...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The pocket sized lights like my UC35 and the PD35 suffer a bit from their shallow reflectors in throw comparisons. I actually really like and need the bigger hot spot for my job. I'm not out comparing my lights to each other every day.

I will say that all my larger reflector lights in the same lumen range do throw a lot further than the UC35.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris

That's just the nature of the beast.  Life's full of trade-offs.

As we've discussed on Survival, in the past, your light fits into the 25mm head category, same as my PD32 and Convoy S2.  While they're a bit longer and fatter than the smaller EDC lights that I carry, they can fit in the pocket comfortably for most of us.

It's a preference, I guess, all of us being different?

The next size up would be in the 33mm-36mm head category, with their larger reflectors and greater throw.

There is no one light for all scenarios, however.

For me, I have a gun, SAK, keys, phone, pack of gum, wallet, so I don't have a lot of remaining real estate to carry around my bigger lights, although I did pocket my Sunwayman D40A (4xAA light) once, but that got to be a hassle early on.

As you know, I'm not a huge fan of rechargeable lights, but I can see how they'd have a certain appeal for people, who might not be battery geeks like me.

Chris

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#33]
That shit is way to big for EDC.

Streamlight Stylus Pro for me.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:08:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ill stick with my SF...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

That shit is way to big for EDC.

Streamlight Stylus Pro for me.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/th/content_26/Q3_2010/c26-B0015UC17E-1-l.jpg

View Quote
Carried one for years! Great stuff man.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

But but but ... THE DEBATE IS OVER

Last year I finally wore out the tape switch on a Surefire Weaponlight so old that it was marked "Laser Products" - it was purchased new in the early nineties for a Benelli shotgun. I snapped a pic and e-mailed it to Surefire to ask them if I could buy a replacement. They replied that I couldn't buy a replacement part, but they would gladly send me a new one for free under warranty.

Doesn't get much better than that

Kickin' it old school:

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does me no good when the rest of my gear works on AA/AAA. I don't need a third battery type.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with him. (I'm purging my home of anything that doesn't run on AA.)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm focusing on AA, 18650, 26650, and 123, in that order. I'm not selling my 123 lights but not buying many more. Only very special lights.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ill stick with my SF...
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Malkoff M61 SHO (super high output)

2x18650 cells, 400 lumens or so for 2 hours

I charge my cells independently so don't need to use a USB charger.

It's however innovative.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep, and in before the SF haters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ill stick with my SF...

Yep, and in before the SF haters.

I have owned almost every brand of flashlight, foreign and domestic. I keep coming back to SF for serious use. I'm currently waiting for my EB1T to replace my trusty E1B.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you haven't found what you were looking for in 5 minutes, you ain't finding it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of the battery savings if they simply didn't wire the switch to the batteries!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you haven't found what you were looking for in 5 minutes, you ain't finding it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is funny is that the PD35 drops to 500 lumens and that is just not nearly enough.  Even though you can bump it back up to 960 lumens pretty much right away.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Been carrying it for YEARS. I've just about worn the finish off of it.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/BRAD-PCAW/IMG_0174_zpsf81fec47.jpg
View Quote

This is the correct answer, versus posting a stock photo of a brand new item. For contrast, see above, and my photo below:
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Drop that shit in some water
Then kick it down the drive way

Then call us
Unti then I'll stick with my SF 6PD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You haven't used it and can't comment on it, but have decided it is the best?

Drop that shit in some water
Then kick it down the drive way

Then call us
Unti then I'll stick with my SF 6PD

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Surefire E2D Defender, 5 years in my pocket, not a fail. I trust my life to this , my 1996 Kimber 45, and my 590a1.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Is it expensive? If a light isn't obscenely expensive, it can't possibly be good.
View Quote

But, it's an EDC, not an eothwawki light or a shtf weapons light.  It should be cheap enough you don't loose sleep if it gets lost.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top