BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
By 'that they helped write', you mean that the NRA tried like HELL to soften the provisions of a restrictive law that they opposed, but thought might eventually pass?

'Politics', my dear [b]Liberty86[/b], is quite correctly called the art of compromise.
View Quote

You don't compromise on freedom.

You give the NRA a GOP-controlled House and Senate, as we did in 1994, and you see what you get - NO MORE ANTI-GUN LEGISLATION PASSES!
View Quote

What about the Lautenburg Amendment?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Post from libertyof76 -
You don't compromise on freedom.
View Quote

Did you not read how the original AWB would have appeared [u]without[/u] the NRA's lobbying efforts?

So, Baby, what are you going to do about it?

Freedom was compromised in 1787 when the US Constitution was enacted [u]without[/u] the Bill of Rights.

Freedom was further compromised when the Feds insisted upon ratification of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments, in order for the former Confederate States to be readmitted to the Union.

Freedom has been compromised in just about every year of every decade of every century that this country has been a nation.

So where do you want to go back to? Pre-Constitutional America? Pre-income tax America? Pre-NFA of 1934 America? Pre-Gun Control Act of 1968 America?

When?

What about the Lautenburg Amendment?
View Quote

Yeah, what about the 'Lautenberg Amendment'?

I personally don't give a rat's ass if people who have been convicted in a court of law for misdemeanor domestic violence ever have the chance to own, possess, use, receive, or transport a firearm.

Any man who hits a woman needs to get the shit beat out of him by her father or brothers, or by strangers off the street, IMHO!

I thought that was understood?

Is this a liberal, anti-gun provision?

Eric The(ISupportIt!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The AWB at least had a 'sunset' provision.  More laws should have them.  In fact it should be a mandatory consideration in all legislation....should we have a sunset provision in this law?

Every feel-good piece of legislation in this country's history that's failed would be just a footnote in history with a sunset provision.  No adult I've known has signed their kid up for a [b]lifetime[/b] of accordian lessons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK...I did it. [b]Just became a life member.[/b]
View Quote

Damn good!  You're on my "A" list!

"...if just ONE assault weapon is saved by joining the NRA..."

This stuff about NOT joining is kinda like NOT voting; think YOUR VOTE doesn't count?

So far, in all the bitching on this thread about the NRA, how many of you have joined, even for 1 year?
England; Canada; and Australia are watching to see what you do.
So are all the Left Wing Liberals who want you to be UN-armed because, you are the UN-washed, and THEY are, well, ABOVE you...they're - 'different'...it's OK for them to have guns and bodyguards and buy guns for THEIR KIDS.

Spend the $ for a 1 year commitment to NRA membership.

FINALLY, WASN'T IT [b]ALGORE[/b] WHO 'PASSED' THE '94 BAN WITH HIS VOTE?

Still think [b]1[/b] vote doesn't count?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#5]
... As much I dislike [b]Wayne LaPierre[/b] as a spokesman for the [b]NRA[/b] and as many things that I don't not like about the Organization, [b]EricTheHun[/b] has convinced me to join tomorrow.

... His arguments are solid.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't agree with the "assault weapon" ban but I do support a ban on possession of firearms particularly suited to criminal misuse.
View Quote

I agree.  I'm especially concerned about the plastic guns that cannot be detected even by the most highly trained german shepherds.  Really big and heavy guns that can be used as a club..... should be illegal as well as those that have sharp pointy bullets that can put your eye out.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... As much I dislike [b]Wayne LaPierre[/b] as a spokesman for the [b]NRA[/b] and as many things that I don't not like about the Organization, [b]EricTheHun[/b] has convinced me to join tomorrow.

View Quote

[8D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate that.

But I know also that the NRA isn't the perfect pro-RKBA lobbying group, either, it's just the only one we've got.

Kinda like the Republican Party.

We could start over, but that would take too long. Why not just shanghai what's already up and running and make them see things our way?

Bolt-gun guys are gonna be coming around soon, too.

The furor caused by the 'Beltway Sniper' must have gotten [u]them[/u] to thinking about things, as well.

If they are smart.

Our motto should be 'Unite and conquer.'

Eric The(WhoKnows?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with mr epdmedic.  The NRA is wasting a lot of money with paperwork.  Everyone here must realize by now that money is what makes a difference in washington. My money is wasted a lot in the NRA on mailings and beggins for more.  I joined the NRA with the dream the my money would go to lobbying congress(unfortunately money is the only way your beliefs get represented), but I was very upset to get so many mailings, form letters, and begging for more money that I might not join again.  I have been a member for almost 5 years and all that has gotten me was a sticker and American Rifleman!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The NRA helping "craft" gun control legislation is equivalent to Jews helping Nazis write the German Criminal Code before and during WWII.

TS

The NRA should flat-out state NO MORE GUN CONTROL.  John Allen Muhammad Skyhook had been court martialed, had a restraining order and had an "assault weapon" in several locations in which it was illegal to possess such weapons.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
  I have been a member for almost 5 years and all that has gotten me was a sticker and American Rifleman!
View Quote

Instead of sending money to the NRA, you could always send it to Sarah's Brady Bunch. Who knows, she might even cough out a lung for you to take home.[whacko] That would show the NRA for only sending a sticker and some worthless magazine.
[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd give the NRA $300 a year if I saw some pro-gun commercials on tv. Stuff like flashbunny made.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:24:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Note: Logic is replaced with emotion at the [rant] tag.
I have been listening to the back and forth exchanges going on about joining or not.  I am a bolt-gunner and an ex-competition shooter.  However, I have just joined the NRA (this past Saturday to be exact).  I don't agree with the leadership on some things.  Heston scares the hell out of me.  However, I am NOT about to let this opportunity to get the most unconstitutional laws removed slip by.  Until recently, I didn't know that the weps ban was going to sunset.  When I found out that it did, I took the first opportunity (read: gun show) that came my way and joined up.  I honestly don't care if you join the NRA or not.  However, I think it is our best bet.  What ever you do, make sure the ban dies in '04 (or sooner) cause I want a black rifle. [rant] [soapbox] I want a black rifle w/ a sharp, pointy stick on the end - it makes a great toothpick. I want an effective muzzle brake/"flash hider" -- I am tired of being blinded by my muzzle flash. I want a 100 rd drum mag filled with the "oh so horrible" black rhino, anti-tank, nuclear powered, uranium-tipped death bullets -- because I am too lazy to reload 10 times.  It is my right to have the most absurdly outfitted weapon in existence.  So what if I don't need it.  I WANT ONE.[/rant] [soapbox]
Wow, I do feel better!
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Now, this is precisely what I was talking about. The NRA, that just led us through the eight years of Clinton, with a AWB that will sunset in 2004, should be 'doing something' with it's razor thin (6 seat majority) in the House and no majority at all in the Senate.

OK, [b]hard-case[/b], [u]you[/u] are now the point man for the RKBA in Congress.

What do you propose be done?

Remember that you must deal with Sen Patrick Leahy (D-VT), as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee in the Senate. Let's hear your sweet talk for convincing him to even consider any RKBA legislation. At all.

Next, let's see how you would present such RKBA legislation to Sen Tom Dasshole, (D-SD)the Majority Leader in the Senate, and talk him into even scheduling it for debate, much less an actual vote.

Chances are, you couldn't even get into their outer offices, or past security.

But you know better than all of the rest of us how these things MUST be done.

Great! Get to work!
View Quote

I don't recall that Tom Daschle was the Senate Majority Leader in during the 95-96 sessions, but then again, I could be wrong. Nor do I believe Leahy was Chairman of Judiciary during that time either, but I could be mistaken on that.

If you'd parsed what I wrote, I was not attacking the NRA for their inability to put forth legislation during the current climate. I know it has zero chance. Nor was I outright attacking the NRA for what it has done in the past. You brought up the comment that following 1994, with a GOP controlled Congress, no new gun control legislation passed (I would argue, since Lautenberg was passed in 1996). I simply pointed out that they did nothing beyond holding the field. THE POINT BEING - if that is what can be done, THEN WE WILL LOSE. If all that happens with a Republican Congress is 'holding the field', then eventually the antis win, and it's only a matter of prolonging the inevitable.

Do you recall [b]H. R. 125[/b] - A bill to repeal the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons and the ban on large capacity ammunition feeding devices?
View Quote

Vaguely.

It was the bill proposed by 38 members of Congress seeking a total repeal of the AWB of 1994. It was filed on the very first day that the Republicans became the majority party in the House.

Whatever happened to it?

Why didn't the GOP shove it through the House and then on to the Senate?

The Oklahoma City Bombing on April 19, 1995, is what happened.

Now, how would you have handled [u]that[/u]?
View Quote

IIRC they DID shove it through the house. From what I recall it passed the House, and had a reading in the Senate but then disappeared. How would I have handled it.....I would have busted my ass off to get it through. Then again, if I were faced with the prospect of sacrificing a Congressional career in order to pass such legislation, I'd give up the career.

Yeah, what about the 'Lautenberg Amendment'?

I personally don't give a rat's ass if people who have been convicted in a court of law for misdemeanor domestic violence ever have the chance to own, possess, use, receive, or transport a firearm.
View Quote

I wonder if you give a rats-ass that you're then in favor of removing the Second Amendment rights of some of your fellow board members?

Any man who hits a woman needs to get the shit beat out of him by her father or brothers, or by strangers off the street, IMHO!
View Quote

I guess you'd also have the ATF confiscate the firearms of anyone who dares to be so evil as to spank their children.

I thought that was understood?

Is this a liberal, anti-gun provision?
View Quote

Well, if the NRA supports a restraining order as being enough to snuff out Second Amendment rights, and the NRA supports stripping the rights of citizens for actions occuring 20 or 30 years before the law was passed as acceptable, I think I'm rather happy I'm not a member.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top