BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Guy buys a 34 years old vhs copy of the movie. She has no braces in it. But EVERYONE remembers braces.

http://youtube.com/?#/watch?v=1bMfjg96kNM
Alternate universe
View Quote
Dammit, even I remember the braces.

Quit rewriting the fucking code, whoever you are.  Just stop.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Why would this stuff manifest itself in such random minor ways rather than larger more measurable ways?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I specifically remember thinking that the bears were Jewish and asking my Mom is their name is pronounced Steen or Stine...
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL, where in the world are you guys getting Berenstein?  It was always Berenstain, I remember it as a small child. I also have no false memories about Mandela...really?  Nor about most of the other things attributed to this.  The Mandela Effect is simply misremembering, the brain's often faulty ability to make whole memories from parts.  It gets it wrong often and this is only exacerbated when this seed is planted and the collective desire to be apart of it, the desire to want to believe.  Go take some Gingko Biloba or something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I think C3PO always had silver and nobody looked below his knee as R2D2 came up to his waist area.

I am more intrigued by Grab THEM by the Pussy vs Grab HER by the Pussy,  as it just happened less than 24 hours ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
C3po was all fucking gold until 3 months ago.  Now he had a silver fucking leg the whole time, fuck you he did not!

Agreed.

Also, it is now "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee"....   I remember it being "Nobody does it like Sara Lee."

And the bears....  Totally wrong...

Ok, this is the first I heard of Sara Lee, and I agree with you.  It even had a jingle "Nobody does it quite like Sara Lee".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt12Z6CnlhQ

On the "If you build it he will come thing",

I actually remember the "he" in that context because the voice was referring to Costner's father, who was one of the players that came from the corn field.

Then there's the "Play it again, Sam" line supposedly from Casablanca, which Bogart never actually said once in the movie.

People's memories suck, even when they're "sure" of their memories.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a link to a guy who's done some research on the Dolly wore braces thing...

http://dolly.barriereader.co.uk/dolly.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It was always spelled "Chic-Fil-a" not chick fil a. I, and everyone else I ask never remember a K.

It was also always "if you build it, they will come."  Not if you build it HE will come.

It was also Oscar MEYER. Not oscar mAyer. There was never an A.
View Quote

This is the way I remember these things as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He never had no silver legs and I know the original movie script verbatim....
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

She did have braces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why is it called the Mandela Effect?
jaws and that girl in Moonraker really messed me up with doubting memories...

What was the moonraker one about?

In Moonraker, Jaws falls for Dolly, a blonde girl with pigtails and glasses.  She gives him a big smile and you can see she had braces, which was a funny visual gag, something they had in common.  I have this recollection, too.

If you watch Moonraker now, you will see her without braces.

She did have braces.

The scene would have no comic value , without braces.

It was their connection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is a link to a guy who's done some research on the Dolly wore braces thing...

View Quote

OK this one bothers me.  Seen that film many times, huge Bond fan.  She had braces, I don't have any doubt about this.  The actress claims no braces....WTF!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

OK this one bothers me.  Seen that film many times, huge Bond fan.  She had braces, I don't have any doubt about this.  The actress claims no braces....WTF!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stay woke Citadel-SC, stay woke!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad the masses of people are now recognizing that there are parallel universes and that they crossed paths along the way hence the reason some people feel they are living in a bad dream cause it is a different timeline than what they were on. Who remembers sinbad that played the Genie?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Isn't that an artifact from C3PO getting blown up on Bespin?  Chewie didn't grab all the same parts?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually remember my brother correcting me as a kid when I pronounced it Berenstein more than 30 years ago (l said it like just like Frankenstein).  He showed me the cover of one of the books and made me read it correctly as Berenstain.  My take on this is that it's all a bunch of horseshit.  Memories can be fickle 20 or 30 years later.  C3P0 also always had a silver leg.  I remember that because I used to wonder what droid got cannibalized so that he could walk around.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Berenstein
View Quote

Yep,  this.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I actually remember my brother correcting me as a kid when I pronounced it Berenstein more than 30 years ago (l said it like just like Frankenstein).  He showed me the cover of one of the books and made me read it correctly as Berenstain.  My take on this is that it's all a bunch of horseshit.  Memories can be fickle 20 or 30 years later.  C3P0 also always had a silver leg.  I remember that because I used to wonder what droid got cannibalized so that he could walk around.
View Quote

Even the actor that played Vader remembers saying "Luke I am your father." Even the guy that played the part. Is his memory that fickle too?

Because he never said luke I am your father. The line is "No, I am your father."
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take some ginko biloba or something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2015/12/15/anthony-daniels-c3po-star-wars/77341766/

Daniels recalled, "Even the stills photographer, John Jay, came up to me one day and said, 'Why are you wearing a silver leg today.' Now, he was the stills photographer, and he hadn't noticed."
Actually, the leg caused some problems for filming.
"It would reflect the gold leg, and it would reflect in the desert, so it acted more of like a mirror," said Daniels.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#20]

henry viii portrait with a drumstick..plenty of pop culture references to it,but the pic doesn't exist

mn missing from a few words (dilemna,rhythmn,etc)

"the thinker" sculpture has changed

"American gothic"  pic has changed

dolly had braces damnit

alot was a word

4 in the jfk car

berenstein...I pronounced it both ways when reading aloud to my kids and they pointed it out to me

mirror mirror

vw logo

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Just looked for scenes of C3P0, and yep, there's a silver leg. But the majority of scenes just don't show it that clearly. Because you spend more time filming waist up than waist down. And a lot of the scenes make it difficult to tell the color of the leg. On sand for example, the silver leg is reflecting the golden sand. Or the leg somewhat reflects the rest of him. So you spend most of your time looking at his face because you're a human and that's what you do and you characterize him as "that gold robot".
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm glad the masses of people are now recognizing that there are parallel universes and that they crossed paths along the way hence the reason some people feel they are living in a bad dream cause it is a different timeline than what they were on. Who remembers sinbad that played the Genie?
View Quote

Wait are you telling me Sinbad was not the the genie?!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even the actor that played Vader remembers saying "Luke I am your father." Even the guy that played the part. Is his memory that fickle too?

Because he never said luke I am your father. The line is "No, I am your father."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The actor who played Vader was dubbed over by James Earl Jones so his memory is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
C3PO's leg was always silver below the knee.  It reflected the gold of the rest of his body so it was very hard to tell.  If you weren't looking you didn't notice.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I've always remembered. "Luke,  I am your father."
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#28]
None of this seems all that strange to me. Humans categorize things and make assumptions for simplicity. So we get stuff wrong. That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#29]
The TV show from the late '70s: Project U.F.O or Project Blue Book?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well the non-special edition disagrees with you. (specifically, this is from the fairly rare DVDs that came with the laserdisc version as a 2nd disc bonus)

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd chalk this up to an old guy remembering things like an old guy does.  I'd give him more credence if he was able to tie this to another specific memory like the two examples I gave.  While I don't recall the line from my childhood, I do remember it from the second release and as a reply to Luke telling Vader that he had killed Anakin Skywalker. His malice in saying "No" stuck with me.  It is a line that has been said wrongly in culture since the release of ESB.  The subtle misquote for use in culture makes it easier to reference to the specific movie.

I'll be honest.  When I first heard about this I was interested as I was always a fan of Sliders and the alternate universe theory.  I've seen enough to see that its a phenomenon that has nothing to do with alternate realities.  Honestly, what point does all of this make?  What would be the goal of changing random and insignificant cultural things through some sort of voodoo?  Why are there no significant changes other than the original Mandela incident?

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The actor who played Vader was dubbed over by James Earl Jones so his memory is irrelevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

James earl jones is who I'm talking about. Let's not play a semantics game.

JEJ never remembers saying "no I am your father. "
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think the point is that the changes themselves don't matter. It's the tiny differences that supposedly serve as proof of alternate timelines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd chalk this up to an old guy remembering things like an old guy does.  I'd give him more credence if he was able to tie this to another specific memory like the two examples I gave.  While I don't recall the line from my childhood, I do remember it from the second release and as a reply to Luke telling Vader that he had killed Anakin Skywalker.  It is a line that has been said wrongly in culture since the release of ESB.  The subtle misquote for use in culture makes it easier to reference to the specific movie.

I'll be honest.  When I first heard about this I was interested as I was always a fan of Sliders and the alternate universe theory.  I've seen enough to see that its a phenomenon that has nothing to do with alternate realities.  Honestly, what point does all of this make?  What would be the goal of changing random and insignificant cultural things through some sort of voodoo?  Why are there no significant changes other than the original Mandela incident?

I think the point is that the changes themselves don't matter. It's the tiny differences that supposedly serve as proof of alternate timelines.
Yeah, but most of it is ridiculous.  It's common for folks to see the first and last letter of a word and fill in the rest.  I did it 30 years ago with Berenstein.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean James Earl Jones said it or David Prowse?   Because on set the line was "Obi-wan killed your father" Only Lucas and Hamill knew the line was going to be changed in post and Lucas only told Hamill right before they shot the scene.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Berenstein
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What movie was that?  I vaguely remember him playing a genie role in some movie.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And the Mandela Effect got its name from people swearing Nelson Mandela died in the 80s when he didn't.
View Quote

Of course he didn't die in the 80's.  Heck, he starred in "Driving Miss Daisy" in 1989 and was in lots of other movies after that (e.g., "Shawshank Redemption", "Unforgiven").  He even lived long enough to complete his "bucket list".
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What movie was that?  I vaguely remember him playing a genie role in some movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember him dressing like a genie as his normal everyday attire.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#40]
From what I remember reading about the making of Star Wars, the C3PO actor broke the lower leg part of the costume the first time he wore it. The part did not get painted gold for some reason in the haste to begin filming and was that way from then on.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

The TV show from the late '70s: Project U.F.O or Project Blue Book?
View Quote
Blue book
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#42]
If you think I'm gonna dig through my kids pile of Star Wars figures.... well wait.....

Is this who you seek?
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#43]
The was no return fire BS, Han shot, end of story.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm 39 and was considered very smart and observant as a kid. I vividly remember correcting people about "magic mirror" and "no, I am your father." It bugged me they were saying it wrong. Same thing with Bernstein Bears. I remember trying to figure out why everyone was saying it wrong. None of these have changed in my lifetime. Jaws as well. It was always "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Memories, especially collective memories like these, are a very fickle thing.

However, the Chick FIL A thing is mind boggling. Even after looking at a sign today it is still in my mind as Chic Fil A. Weird.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well the non-special edition disagrees with you. (specifically, this is from the fairly rare DVDs that came with the laserdisc version as a 2nd disc bonus)

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1ac3/r7baq4gj66ue8p86g.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/1ac3/r7baq4gj66ue8p86g.jpg

I think the point they're making, is they're not from this universe.  They're from another universe.  So of course the original CP3-0 in THIS universe has a silver leg, but in their universe it didn't.  

Just like the "no one does it like Sara Lee", and the Dolly character's braces from Moonraker, this one has me a little stumped.  I don't remember CP3-0 having a silver leg.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It was always spelled "Chic-Fil-a" not chick fil a. I, and everyone else I ask never remember a K.

It was also always "if you build it, they will come."  Not if you build it HE will come.

It was also Oscar MEYER. Not oscar mAyer. There was never an A.
View Quote

If you build it, he will come.

It was initially made to look like it was about Ray Kinsella's efforts to conjure up Shoeless Joe Jackson. After he built the field and got the players to play there, Shoeless Joe pointed out Kinsella's deceased father and said, "If you build it, he will come."
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't know if this has ever been mentioned:

When I was a kid "scoot" was the proper word to use when asking someone to move.

"Hey, can you scoot over?"

Now it seems that "scootch" is being used.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The was no return fire BS, Han shot, end of story.
View Quote

This was actually a real change. I've seen the original scene (on VHS) where Han pulls the blaster from his holster, and shoots Greedo under the table and gets up and walks away; cool as a cucumber. But Lucas thought it was too "murderous" and edited the movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6PDcBhODqo
I can totally understand why people get confused about these things, I few years ago I was crossing a cross walk and got hit by a truck/SUV (hit and run). I could have sworn up and down it was dark blue, but after the police investigated with the license number, it was forest green.
I don't remember Star Wars a ton as it's been a while since I've seen the VHS, but I do recall him having an "off" leg in many of the clips.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Berenstein. ...and all of the other "normal" things of that particular timeline. I was born late 1979.

I was reading this out in the truck while my (skeptical) wife was in HyVee grabbing groceries. When she came out I just showed her the new Oscar Meyer logo and she said, "What the hell? Mayer? What is that about?"
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#50]
When you go to sleep at night you stop observing your current universe, and your mind begins to wonder the potentiality of different choices, what if's, essentially different universes.  You're consciousness is basically in a sort of "hallway of the multiverse".  

This "hallway" is infinitely long, with an infinite number of "doors" or passageways to alternate universes.  Most of those close to you are almost exactly alike.  Just little changes here and there, most wouldn't noticed the difference.  And most of the time you wake-up back in the universe you fell asleep in.

But every once in awhile, when you're in that "multiverse hallway" we call sleep your consciousness doesn't go back to the one it feel asleep in.  It wakes-up in, or begins to observe, one of the slightly different universes very near your own.  

Most people stay within 42 of the closest related universes, In this range only the details change.  But sometimes the real wanderers drifted further from their starting point, and begin to notice ...changes.  Some big, and some small.  

Page / 9
Top Top