User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem turning over most of the South to the French.

You aware that the "Louisiana" of the time, included Montana, Dakota's, COlorado, Wyoming and other territories, right ???

when you bought Louisiana, you doubled your country.

ETA: Dewoitine posted the map..

Be kind and patient please.  We don't teach American history in America anymore.

Disadvantaged Civilizations of the World and Gender Studies has takens its place.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You aware that the "Louisiana" of the time, included Montana, Dakota's, COlorado, Wyoming and other territories, right ???

Be kind and patient please.  We don't teach American history in America anymore.

Disadvantaged Civilizations of the World and Gender Studies has takens its place.

Well, I guess he is aware now!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess he is aware now!!
Lay off already.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a problem with the government pushing the boundaries of the constitution in a time of great crisis like the LA purchase or the civil war... we were small and weak at the time, and there wasn't time to amend the constitution. I do have a problem with the government doing unconstitutional things as part of standard operating procedure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because it would "become the South" again.

Hax

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I suppose you could take it upon yourself to negotiate with the French to give us our money back with interest but all concerned would probably tell you where you can stick it. In all seriousness, find something productive to do with your life.  Dragging up stuff like the is a waste of time.  What's next, you going to claim the constitution is unconstitutional?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I suppose you could take it upon yourself to negotiate with the French to give us our money back with interest but all concerned would probably tell you where you can stick it. In all seriousness, find something productive to do with your life. Dragging up stuff like the is a waste of time. What's next, you going to claim the constitution is unconstitutional?

Internet is serious bidness.

Turn your sarcasm detector on.

IMO, it was one of the few things Jefferson (as President) did right.  And it makes for good discussion.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I suppose you could take it upon yourself to negotiate with the French to give us our money back with interest but all concerned would probably tell you where you can stick it. In all seriousness, find something productive to do with your life.  Dragging up stuff like the is a waste of time.  What's next, you going to claim the constitution is unconstitutional?  

It's unconstitutional to claim the constitution is unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmm, this is hard to day.

The Constitution does authorize government to enter into treaties, but are there any limits as to what those treaties can and cannot do?  Perhaps a treaty could only be limited by areas of the Constitution that are already off-limits for the government (Bill of Rights)?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And the anti Federalist Democratic-Republican Jefferson knew it.

There was nothing in the Constitution that allowed the Federal .gov to buy land from another nation. In fact Jefferson was very much against the forming of the Bank of the United States.

There was much discussion about this within the Jefferson Administration and there were suggestions from proudly proclaiming the Constitutionality or to try to pass a Constitutional Amendment allowing land purchase by the .gov all the way to doing nothing.

Wilson Cary Nichols urged the President not to convey his opinion of the constitutionality of the treaty. Nichols suggested that if this treaty was unconstitutional, all other treaties were open to the same objection, and the United States government in such a case could make no treaty at all. Jefferson chose the later suggestion and apparently now put aside his strict constructionist views and recognized a broad construction of the Constitution. Jefferson now decided the less that is said about any constitutional difficulty, the better; and that it will be desirable for Congress to do what is necessary, in silence. When Jefferson addressed the Eighth Congress, he praised the purchase of Louisiana but said nothing about its constitutionality. In this manner Jefferson was leaving the constitutional question up to the members of the House and Senate .

http://www.freeessays.cc/db/1/auj121.shtml

Jefferson decided to do near nothing. He just sent the Treaty over to the Senate with a little note saying "The less said about the Constitutionality of this the better."  As we know it passed.

1803 and the .gov was already pissing on the Constitution.

Well damn. Go ahead and present your case to federal judges; and let the entire country laugh at you... Male us conservatives look dumber.

I think I may be done with this site There is a whole lot of stupid on here and honestly i feel that it hurts us conservatives. It just seems like night after i night i see one dumb thing after another; i cant keep up with it.  Go ahead and keep bitching about made up crap and focusing on obamas fake birth certificate; but  i'm done with it. you are hurting the cause... please don't bitch when obama gets re elected when you vote for some obsure 3rd party candidate.

+1  with one point of disagreement.  Most of the stupid stuff here is posted by libertarians and anarchists not true conservatives.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no problem with paying Mexico to take California back.

How could you tell the difference?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How could you tell the difference?  

The illegal Americans would all be beaten half to death and deported in a week.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:43:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There was nothing in the Constitution that allowed the Federal .gov to buy land from another nation. In fact Jefferson was very much against the forming of the Bank of the United States.

There was much discussion about this within the Jefferson Administration and there were suggestions from proudly proclaiming the Constitutionality or to try to pass a Constitutional Amendment allowing land purchase by the .gov all the way to doing nothing.

Wilson Cary Nichols urged the President not to convey his opinion of the constitutionality of the treaty. Nichols suggested that if this treaty was unconstitutional, all other treaties were open to the same objection, and the United States government in such a case could make no treaty at all. Jefferson chose the later suggestion and apparently now put aside his strict constructionist views and recognized a broad construction of the Constitution. Jefferson now decided the less that is said about any constitutional difficulty, the better; and that it will be desirable for Congress to do what is necessary, in silence. When Jefferson addressed the Eighth Congress, he praised the purchase of Louisiana but said nothing about its constitutionality. In this manner Jefferson was leaving the constitutional question up to the members of the House and Senate .

Jefferson decided to do near nothing. He just sent the Treaty over to the Senate with a little note saying "The less said about the Constitutionality of this the better." As we know it passed.

10th grade History is a real eye opener aint it?

It is easy to forget stuff unless you talk about it once in a while.

I know just messing with ya :P

They are probably to busy teaching kids how mean we were to the Slaves and murdered all those indians with biological weapons, and how we beat up the mexicans and stole their land.... until BHO came along... to teach them about things like the most significant land purchase in the history of the United States, these days....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#14]
And this is news to you?  Jefferson dod a bunch of unconstitutional shit, like refitting the Navy and attacking the Muslims @ Tripoli during the Barbarie wars.  History is not strong with this one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because it would "become the South" again.

Hax

No. It would become Le Sud

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They'd have no problem turning the West Coast over to the Pacific.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Fine.

Give it back.

To the French or to the Indians?  

the Indians
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you don't give it to the Indians you are clearly........

Racist
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to be a Spanish subject, hoss?

Mexican
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jefferson decided to do near nothing. He just sent the Treaty over to the Senate with a little note saying "The less said about the Constitutionality of this the better."  As we know it passed.

Well damn. Go ahead and present your case to federal judges; and let the entire country laugh at you... Male us conservatives look dumber.

I think I may be done with this site There is a whole lot of stupid on here and honestly i feel that it hurts us conservatives. It just seems like night after i night i see one dumb thing after another; i cant keep up with it.  Go ahead and keep bitching about made up crap and focusing on obamas fake birth certificate; but  i'm done with it. you are hurting the cause... please don't bitch when obama gets re elected when you vote for some obsure 3rd party candidate.

+1  with one point of disagreement.  Most of the stupid stuff here is posted by libertarians and anarchists not true conservatives.

You really think this is stupid?  Though the original post is one of sarcasm, this very issue illustrates how we got where we are.  The boundaries of the constitution have been repeatedly stretched to the point that the boundaries no longer exist.  Now the original boundaries are viewed as ones only kooks would hold.  

I recall recently a Congresswoman who responded to a question concerning the constitutionality of the health care bill with "Are you serious?"  This is exactly the response many are giving in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:29:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

then the illegals i california would come to arizona nevada and oregon in droves to escape mexico.  not to mention the damned californian americans.  not sre which would do more harm.

build a moat and well discuss this plan further.

fuck you too.  

hey man, you get a bridge
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

then the illegals i california would come to arizona nevada and oregon in droves to escape mexico.  not to mention the damned californian americans.  not sre which would do more harm.

build a moat and well discuss this plan further.

fuck you too.  

you????? no bridge, that would be racsist
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I DECLARE MYSELF EMPEROR OF LOUISIANA !!!

I will be a brutal but fair ruler.

FREE SUBGUNS FOR ALL!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Napoleon wanted to sell it and offered to sell it.

Jefferson wanted to buy it and tendered payment.

Contract made.  Too late to ask France for the gold back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#25]
So we are going to contihue this and give or sell back Alaska to the Russians??
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Certainly wouldn't mind giving CA to the French.

Most of the south wasn't included in the Louisiana purchase anyways..
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

And we have no problem giving CA and the "Big city thinkers" back to Mexico.

Oh wait, we already did.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top