Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
needs more vampire huntin'

http://youtu.be/34x6m-ahGIo
View Quote

Best President ever
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed it, but I can't vouch for its historical accuracy.  If you want historical accuracy, you'll have to read at least a few well regarded books and draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It was boring as fuck, and I find the politicking of the 13th amendment pretty interesting. As usual, DD Lewis was masterful.        

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried watching it twice....and fell asleep both times.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#5]
So, when George Lucas gets ahold of it, will Lincoln shoot first???
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

As accurate as they can be IMO. They obviously had to make up many of the private conversations but other than that it was accurate. Their portrayal of his wife were dead on from all of my readings and understanding of the type of person she was.

Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln was also dead on, down to his reportedly high pitched raspy voice. As were the portrayals of his relations with the various members of his cabinet.

It was one of the most solid movies I've seen from a historical aspect.
View Quote

Yeah they describe Lincoln's voice as though it would sound like Bill Gates talking.

Not like other portrayals of him as having a deep, authoritative voice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, when George Lucas gets ahold of it, will Lincoln shoot first???
View Quote

Nope.  

at the 25 second mark

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah they describe Lincoln's voice as though it would sound like Bill Gates talking.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As accurate as they can be IMO. They obviously had to make up many of the private conversations but other than that it was accurate. Their portrayal of his wife were dead on from all of my readings and understanding of the type of person she was.

Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln was also dead on, down to his reportedly high pitched raspy voice. As were the portrayals of his relations with the various members of his cabinet.

Yeah, that has always bugged me in every movie or documentary to date.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You obviously haven't read much about the real man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That movie is FULL of inaccuracies in the way Lincoln was portrayed.  In reality he was known for his racist jokes, loved to attend minstrel shows and up until his dying day in office was talking the the British and French trying to get them to agree to taking in ALL former slaves.  He certainly wasn't pacing back and forth in the oval office concerned for the plight of the black man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFty9nZUac

You obviously haven't read much about the real man.

That's what the Hitler apologists say too.  Take it easy on the idolotry, Lincoln was no saint no matter how hard you try to make him into one.  He was as corrupt and manipulative as the worst of them, including 0bama.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reminds me of Patton, imo.

The real General Patton was a diminutive man with a high-pitched voice. He neither looked nor sounded anything like George C. Scott.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The real General Patton was a diminutive man with a high-pitched voice. He neither looked nor sounded anything like George C. Scott.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:05:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where was that? I sure haven't noticed it in the ten times I've seen it.

I think you're mistaking the part where he is talking to the negro soldiers in the beginning? That was some time after the battle, not right after.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There were some criticisms of the history in Lincoln. Apparently the movie showed at least one state as voting against the resolution when they really voted for it.

Also, Lincoln never toured a battlefield full of dead soldiers right after a battle as depicted in the movie.

There were some other criticisms I ran across, but I can't recall them now. Google could help, if your that interested.

As I posted when I saw the movie:

"I've now seen both "Lincolon" and "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter." One is an entertaining look at the 16th President that mixes fiction with known historical fact in an engaging and compelling story. The other, of course, is a film by Steven Spielberg."

Where was that? I sure haven't noticed it in the ten times I've seen it.

I think you're mistaking the part where he is talking to the negro soldiers in the beginning? That was some time after the battle, not right after.

LOL you did fall asleep.

I wish a move about Stuarts ride through the countryside would be made. That could be a fun movie to watch and maybe you young'uns would stay awake.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top