YMMV and all that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No room on keto for a craft beer addiction eh?
Not while losing weight. If you are at your ideal weight, I don't see much harm in having a few once in a while.
It's actually good to every now and then (2-3 weeks for me) modestly cheat. It triggers something in the body to break plateaus and such. IE one or two beers or a couple slices of pizza.
YMMV and all that.
Yup, queevox's quote of we are all an experiment of one. Also notice I said "modestly", 1-2 beers  OR a slice of pizza. Not both, not more than one or two.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Tell your wife congratulations on being disciplined enough to lose the weight.

She did great and I'm sure you're proud of her.

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Lose beer guy (already quit drinking 2 months ago), hopefully help psoriasis and have more energy, sleep better. I am a pretty active guy, climb and workout in the winter and canoe, hike, mountain bike in the summer (600+ miles last year on dirt). Realizing that none of that matters if I am not puttin the correct fuel in my body.
View Quote
I live the same lifestyle and always have. Im on year 15 off the sugars. I immediately lost 44 lbs in 5 months and have stayed in a 5 lb range since. I was 228lbs and bulky, but not what one would call fat.
I would hike all day and collapse dead tired in my tent. Yes, I could do it, but I was unhealthy. I just didn't know it.
I never went full keto, although thete were plenty of days I'm sure I was below 20g carbs for a day or two.
But.....in 15 years, after that first 5 months, I have only had one cold that lasted 2 days.
My wife who just eats what I eat, has had two.
We both score perfect 100's every year on our wellness checks.
I think nothing of a 12-15 mile hike with a pack or 20 mile bike ride and I'm 52. The thing is....unlike before, I'm not totally wiped out after. That's part of a full day's activity for me including all the other stuff I do during a normal day.

Sometimes you don't have to get all crazy about it. Just cut out the bad shit, get and stay moving, eat healthy and be aware of what you're putting in your body. Avoid the artificial shit and sugars especially and finally realize that there is no magic pill.

You can either write checks to the grocery store for the healthier option (about 35% is what we figured it cost in our shopping over the last 15 years )or the pharmacy for your monthly medications. Your choice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tell your wife congratulations on being disciplined enough to lose the weight.

She did great and I'm sure you're proud of her.

View Quote
Thanks

She is back and forth with her mother in the hospital and is still maintaining her diet.

quit is just not in her vocabulary
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
A pic of her today taking a break from being with her mom.

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Edited. I meant to post in the big keto thread.

She looks fantastic Free. Good job Ma'am.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Edited. I meant to post in the big keto thread.

She looks fantastic Free. Good job Ma'am.
View Quote
Thanks she was 116lbs this morning
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Calories are the fuel, it really doesn't matter which types of fuels your putting into your body, i.e. carbs vs fats vs proteins; granted each has a different function as a calorie in your diet.  And not all calories are equal, some are more valuable from an metabolism and energy standpoint.

Carbs are great for quickly  replenishing the necessary nutrients that muscles need for performance.

A low carb diet, Keto for example, has shown to have a lot of health benefits and positive metabolic outcomes, over the long term.

You can drink and not have a beer gut, the main reason beer contributes to weigh gain, is the non-nutritional calories (empty-calories) that people tend to overconsume in addition to their regular dietary habits.

Calories in > Calories Out == Weight gain.

In a low carb diet, Keto in this instance, Protein is a goal, to limit muscle loss, Fat is optional to keep energy levels up and reduce hunger,  and Carbohydrates are a limit.

You need to self assess and discern if you can make the change to a Keto Style diet, as initially it will be a complete change in dietary habits, which only can be successful if you are acutely aware of what you are consuming, and how much.  There is a significant mindset shift that generally needs to happen.

Other posters have listed a lot of resources regarding Keto, check them out.  A good starting point would be the GD thread I know is floating around here (I havent posted there in probably a year, need find it myself).  Reddit also has a great subreddit /r/keto that is full of a lot of good resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First question...

What is your goal/s?
Lose beer guy (already quit drinking 2 months ago), hopefully help psoriasis and have more energy, sleep better. I am a pretty active guy, climb and workout in the winter and canoe, hike, mountain bike in the summer (600+ miles last year on dirt). Realizing that none of that matters if I am not puttin the correct fuel in my body.
Calories are the fuel, it really doesn't matter which types of fuels your putting into your body, i.e. carbs vs fats vs proteins; granted each has a different function as a calorie in your diet.  And not all calories are equal, some are more valuable from an metabolism and energy standpoint.

Carbs are great for quickly  replenishing the necessary nutrients that muscles need for performance.

A low carb diet, Keto for example, has shown to have a lot of health benefits and positive metabolic outcomes, over the long term.

You can drink and not have a beer gut, the main reason beer contributes to weigh gain, is the non-nutritional calories (empty-calories) that people tend to overconsume in addition to their regular dietary habits.

Calories in > Calories Out == Weight gain.

In a low carb diet, Keto in this instance, Protein is a goal, to limit muscle loss, Fat is optional to keep energy levels up and reduce hunger,  and Carbohydrates are a limit.

You need to self assess and discern if you can make the change to a Keto Style diet, as initially it will be a complete change in dietary habits, which only can be successful if you are acutely aware of what you are consuming, and how much.  There is a significant mindset shift that generally needs to happen.

Other posters have listed a lot of resources regarding Keto, check them out.  A good starting point would be the GD thread I know is floating around here (I havent posted there in probably a year, need find it myself).  Reddit also has a great subreddit /r/keto that is full of a lot of good resources.
ummm..  your body has the ability to turn nutritional protein into glycogen which is adverse to a keto diet.    you literally have to eat a lot of fat, low to moderate proteins and VERY low to NO carbs..

I don't think you know what Keto is..
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
'nope!    but if your a man and enjoy real drinks like straight whiskey,  almost most of them are 0 carbs. 0 sugars
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
'nope!    but if your a man and enjoy real drinks like straight whiskey,  almost most of them are 0 carbs. 0 sugars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And ALL alcohol goes straight into your cells as energy. So if you are trying to lose weight, avoid it, or save it for cheat days only.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A person doesn't
The OP's wife looks great . It's a tough diet to stick to though . You get to your target weight and begin to think now I'm fine to indulge a little.
View Quote
I did great until I went off it  "temporarily" for Thanks Giving/Christmas its difficult to get going on it again. Winter didn't help.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would like to know what kind of diet people have BEFORE they go on KETO.

I know a guy who went from eating nothing but doughnuts, cookies, candy, and junk food all the time......to eating healthy "normal" portions sized meals and dropped 50lbs less that 6 months.

Not saying KETO doesn't work......but eating healthy in general is going to be 10 times better than eating junk all the time.
View Quote
I eat very healthy according to the food piramid and I'm fat. I have problems with portion control. On Keto I was never really hungry which is odd for me. I love to eat. On keto I was skipping meals because I wasn't hungry.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The very same 1977 pseudo science that told us natural fats were bad for us so the food industry replaced them with carbs and hydrogenated oils...
Let's compare the obesity rate from 1977 to today after 40 years of "low fat" diets riddled with carbs... looks like taking the advice of the 1977 science is what fattened this country up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I asked the health coach we have at the office about the keto diet, and she said, "Oh God, don't do it!" and sent me some PDFs on how it's not good for you.

at this point, I think you can find info for an against absolutely everything.  
This is based on 1977 pseudo science.  Lots of people believe it.

Bought and paid for by Big Agri and Big Pharma.
The very same 1977 pseudo science that told us natural fats were bad for us so the food industry replaced them with carbs and hydrogenated oils...
Let's compare the obesity rate from 1977 to today after 40 years of "low fat" diets riddled with carbs... looks like taking the advice of the 1977 science is what fattened this country up.
Remember when they wanted us to substitute margerine for butter and stop eating eggs.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top