Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen my share of snobs (all types), and what makes them snobs in my book is the "greater than thou" attitude some people get.  A while ago I went to the local range, and there were some IPSC guys setting up for a match.  After asking me if I compete in IPSC (I said no), they totally gave me the cold shoulder treatment!  That's one way to turn away people from a sport!  I never ran into this problem with the SASS crowd.  They were the friendliest group I've run into of all the organizations I've seen at the range.

By no means am I saying that all IPSC shooters are snobs, just the four I ran into that day gave me a bad first impression of IPSC.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How well do you think most of those guys could shoot out in the field, under stress, without their special glove and jacket, no rest, and when the targets are real people?

I think there's probably a pretty big difference between your typical high power competitor and a good sniper.
View Quote

Boomer

Read this article and maybe you will think different [url]http://www.aspiringtech.net/nobull/confessions.html[/url]

[b]A Sniper’s Confession: The Importance of Competitive Shooting to Sniping[/b]

By [b]Kent Gooch, CWO2, USMC (ret)[/b]

BTW, I shoot HP [i]and[/i] Tactical Rifle (sniper) matches. Some HP matches I take very serious and while shooting do like some others commented - get into a zone. I also CMP matches at a small local club. There I use a mil spec AR and ball ammo and no special equipment. It's FUN. I also go regularly to a quarry and practice rapid firing at multiple targets - and moving ones when those same targets start rolling down the berms. No glove, coat, knee or elbow pads for that. Just dirt, dust and gravel. If you don't believe me ask Sgtar15.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I like what Cooper said this month n his column. Paper shooting is fine as practice to prepare you for the field, for the real purpose of your weapon.

The IPSC guys I have met have been cool so far, and I am going to compete in a match next week.
(They are probably cool, because I am no competition to them)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone got good links for someone thinking about getting into highpower (but not thinking about getting snobby?)
View Quote

Check the Links and FAQ threads in the Competition Forum. If you're in the SF or Sacramento area email me and I can send you some info and links.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have on occassion shot in HighPower matches, but I'm not a regular competitor.

Recently I was shooting at a local range, at 200 yard, 10" steel gongs and nailing them nearly every time, shooting from sitting, prone and offhand with a shorty AR carbine and surplus SA ammo.  I was hitting everything and having a great day, and a lot of fun.

The only other shooter was a HighPower competitor (who by the way, WAS NOT consistently hitting steel unless he was on the bench).  

A third shooter arrived and asked for a cease fire to go down range and put up paper targets at the 100 yard line.  As soon as the range is clear Mr HighPower says in a loud voice so the down range plinker can hear, "This is BULLSHIT! This range is for serious shooters..."  Then walks over to me, looks at my Bushmaster Shorty and says, "Not a real service rifle", picks up a brown box of my South African surplus, looks at it like its a fresh moist turd in his hand, pronounces one word, "crap", turns around, packs up his gear and leaves, with a considerable fan fare of noise and slamming so we mere mortals could know that he didn't appreciate sharing "his" range with us mere paying club members.

Most of the Highpower shooters are super knowledgeable, friendly guys, and the best shooters around, but AT LEAST 10% (probably more) are like the guy I described.

And the funny part was...  the guy couldn't even shoot that good.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top