User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Post from PONY_DRIVER -
Although I'm "Southern" in most every way I'm sure as hell glad the Union won!
View Quote

There are more important things than being the biggest kid on the block!

But do not worry, for if the South had succeeded in their endeavors, the country would still have reunited within twenty years or less!

We weren't merely cousins, as the Europeans were fond of saying, we were Brothers!

View Quote

Some wise person here once said "Increase your post count - disagree with ETH!"  Well it's not hard to do that when lunacy like this gets posted.  A strong, united America saved the world three times - WWI, WWII, and the Cold War.  If you insist on rewriting history, try doing it without victory in any one of those three wars.  A separate Confederate States of America would have been a disaster of horrific world-wide consequence.  The fact that there are still many, many people with views similar or identical to yours puts the lie to your utterly unsubstantiated claim that the Union would have been restored by 1880.

Wake up as Massa Robert himself did - the "Cause" was wrong and the war was a mistake.

bjt    

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#2]
My personal favorite General of the Civil War:

[img]organizations.rockbridge.net/racc/stonewall.jpg[/img]
[b]Gen. Thomas Jonathan 'Stonewall' Jackson (1824-1863)[/b]

Confederate General from Virginia. Next to Robert E. Lee, Jackson is the most revered of all Confederate soldiers. A graduate of West Point, he served in the Mexican War.  He commanded the Army of the Shenandoah, the Army of the Potomac, and the Army of Northern Virginia.  In 1851, Jackson became professor of artillery tactics and natural philosophy at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia.

He assumed his nickname during the Battle of Bull Run. Amidst the tumult of battle, Brigadeer-General Barnard E. Bee stated, "There is Jackson standing like a stone wall."  He distinguished himself in the Valley campaign of early 1862, the Battle of second Manassas in August 1862, and the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862.

On May 2, 1863, in his last march of the Civil War, Jackson was wounded by friendly fire. He died of pneumonia on May 10 at Guiney's Station, Virginia. His body was carried to Richmond and then to Lexington where it was buried. It is said that The Army of Northern Virginia never fully recovered from the loss of Stonewall Jackson -- General Robert E. Lee believed Jackson was irreplacable.   His family home on Nelson Street is now a museum (it was used as Lexington's hospital into the 1950's).

...and my Great Great Grandfather:

[img]fhp.angelcities.com/georgia/theoholmes.jpg[/img]
[b]Major General Theophilus Hunter Holmes[/b]

--LS

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
John Wilkes Booth is my hero. Death to tyrants!
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Post from bjt -
Some wise person here once said "Increase your post count - disagree with ETH!"
View Quote

A wise person indeed said that.

Well it's not hard to do that when lunacy like this gets posted.
View Quote

Lunacy? I suppose that you are qualified to say what might happen in an alternative history, but the rest of us, when we express our views, must be lunatics!

What tripe! What balderdash! What BS!
A strong, united America saved the world three times - WWI, WWII, and the Cold War.
View Quote

Well, you do have a grasp of some parts of history.

That is good. Maybe you can be saved! [:D]
If you insist on rewriting history, try doing it without victory in any one of those three wars.
View Quote

Are you saying the Yankees could not have done it alone?

Why, that's an incredible admission!

Me? I'm not saying anything of the sort.

There were simply too many family ties that united the two countries, so reunification would have been inevitable!
A separate Confederate States of America would have been a disaster of horrific world-wide consequence.
View Quote

Sez you!

I say that it would have been a very nice couple of decades to show each side what they missed by living separate and apart!
The fact that there are still many, many people with views similar or identical to yours puts the lie to your utterly unsubstantiated claim that the Union would have been restored by 1880.
View Quote

Views similar to mine?

Then the Union is safe and would have been restored in due course, without the villainy that accompanied the Radical Reconstruction of the South!

Trecherous Federal bastards! They alone set back regional relations for 100 years!

As can be seen by views such as mine! [:D]
Wake up as Massa Robert himself did - the "Cause" was wrong and the war was a mistake.
View Quote

Both the General and I share many views, such as his view that all citizens should 'teach their children to be good Americans.'

The very fact that the former Confederate leaders preached such sermons, almost without exception, indicates to me and anyone else with good sense that reunification would have been a piece of cake!

Whatever happened to that old Rebel 'Fighting Joe' Wheeler?

The former Confederate General led the US Troops in Cuba during the Spainish-American War!

Don't let Southern patriotism so dishearten you, Son!

We're all on the same side!

Eric The(ForNow!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, Mr. Hun, sir, you are a true believer if nothing else.  For the sake of our viewers that might be interested, I will continue to attempt to inject some logic into this discussion [:D]

Quoted:

There were simply too many family ties that united the two countries, so reunification would have been inevitable!

...I say that it would have been a very nice couple of decades to show each side what they missed by living separate and apart!

View Quote

This is nonsense.  I submit as evidence the animocity on both sides that tolerated a war resulting in unprecidented destruction, both human and material.  I further submit your own attitude, 140 years later, that there still is and should be a "North" and a "South".  As I said before, you are not alone in this delusion.  On what rational basis do you claim that this animocity would disappear in a mere 20 years?  What evidence do you have that having won their sacred "State's Rights" through trial of arms that the CSA would ever agree to rejoin the USA or that a defeated and humiliated USA would ever want them back?  Ask other "Southerners" what they think and you will find that they agree with me - there would never have been a reunion.

...without the villainy that accompanied the Radical Reconstruction of the South!

Trecherous Federal bastards! They alone set back regional relations for 100 years!

View Quote

Ah ha!  Now we see the soft underbelly of the Hun viewpoint.  It's not so much that the South was right as that Reconstruction was wrong, eh?  Why then did you not take issue with the comment above that Booth was a hero?  Surely you don't believe that Reconstruction turned out better than it would have if Lincon had not been murdered, do you?  Booth did more damage to the "South" than all the Federal armies combined.

bjt
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is dat wascally wabbit?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I hope to one day visit the battle field at Gettysburg. This battle has fascinated me since I was old enough to start reading about it. After reading Killer Angels and seeing the movie Gettysburg it is now on my must do list.

I have been to the national park at Vicksburg and was shocked at the closeness of the battle fields. The use of basically modern weapons against sword and lance tactics leaves no question as to the bravery of the men on both sides. These are places that break the heart yet fill you with pride with what the human spirit can do.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]
ETH, great account of Pickett's charge...but what about the poor guys on the OTHER end of that charge?  69th PA. if my woefully inadequate knowledge of Civil War history is correct.  They seem to be largely forgotten...as I recall, they didn't receive any medals or unit citations.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]I further submit your own attitude, 140 years later, that there still is and should be a "North" and a "South".[/b]

well said.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with General Sherman being the most important General of the war.  Having been to modern day Atlanta, I can say that he should have also sown the fields with salt [devil]
But seriously, with the 1st Minnesota on that field of battle, we should definitely feel sorry for the poor rebs.  
"To the Last Man!"
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But seriously, with the 1st Minnesota on that field of battle, we should definitely feel sorry for the poor rebs.  
"To the Last Man!"
View Quote

To which the 36th Texas said, "No problem."
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"To the Last Man!"
View Quote

View Quote

It was a bad few days for all involved.  The 1st Minnesota, and by extension the Union, did not break. Their sacrifice meant something.  Not everyone's death means as much.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"To the Last Man!"
View Quote

View Quote

It was a bad few days for all involved.  The 1st Minnesota, and by extension the Union, did not break. Their sacrifice meant something.  Not everyone's death means as much.
View Quote

Sorry, whoanelly.  I forgot the smiley. [:D]

No offense meant.  All involved were brave men.

I once visited Kennisaw Mountain near Atlanta where a great battle was fought.  I was moved to see a monument to the Texas 36th that was erected in honor of the men that had traveled so far to fight.

But I also saw a monument to an Illinois company that had fought up a draw.  They lost so many men that there had to be a truce until they could clear all the dead and wounded off the battlefield.

I about cried, even for the Yankees there.  They were brave men fighting their brothers.  It was a horrible war.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
No offense taken.  We're all proud of our respective forefathers [beer]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
"...and the score is 40 all.  Game point with the service to Mr. Hun."

Where did I leave my popcorn before I went out to take a huge shit?
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I may not be very popular for saying this but dammit, when the founding fathers rebelled against England, did they continue to claim protection as Englishmen and subjects to the crown?  At the time, these were not American homes that were burnt, they were Confederate homes.  They were destroyed for a strategic purpose: to end the damn war. Killing innocent civilians is inexcusable, but if General Sherman had a track record of doing that I dare say he would be well known as a war criminal.  Not defending the man, I just have not heard about all of the murders commited under his name.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"...and the score is 40 all.  Game point with the service to Mr. Hun."
View Quote

After 15,000+ posts, you should know exactly what Mr. Hun thinks on this subject.

And every other subject under the sun as well.

And perhaps a few more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top