VC-130
L-100

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They perform or have performed pretty much most every aviation mission the DoD has with them.  That is a fair statement.

They have to be at or within spitting distance of the most number of sub-mission designations an airframe has received.

ETA:
C-130
AC-130
EC-130
HC-130
JC-130
KC-130
LC-130
MC-130
WC-130
RC-130
GC-130NC-130
DC-130
VC-130
L-100

I knew I was going to miss a couple, but I would have purposely chosen to leave GC and NC off since they aren't really versions but applications of the same thing.

And the VC-130.  When you need to go somewhere slowly in style.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
good airplane, I worked on them for five years at Dyess AFB TX

however FUCK leading edge hinge pins and troop door negator springs

+1

Don't be a pussy I replaced many hinge pins and negator springs they are not that bad.  The high torques on the fuel panels on top of the wings were a royal bitch.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Navy EC-130Q trailing long wire antenna

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
If I am jumping out, I'd rather have a 141.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are all going to be short jumps these days.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Eleven C-130H Hercules and 13 C-130J Super
Hercules prepare to take off Dec. 6, 2014, from Dyess Air Force Base, Texas in
support of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School's Joint Forcible Entry Exercise
14B.

The C-130H models are from various Air National Guard units and the C-130J
models are from the 317th Airlift Group at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FACT:

it can refuel its self while in flight.  using high speed drogues
FACT.

Wat?

He's saying "...while in flight",.." but he is only saying the HS drogues are deployed, not that they are delivering fuel to the same C-130.
http://www.c-130hercules.net/LSN/No40.pdf
"The System in General
"... An auxiliary fuel control panel was designed into the C-130 tankers to accommodate the controls, gages, and other indicators directly related to inflight refueling. The schematic layout of components on the control panel is divided to represent the IFR systems on each corresponding side of the airplane. The tie-in of these systems with the C-130's integral fuel tanks is represented at the bottom of the panel. Fuel flow counters for each of the two hose-reel installations are included among the instruments on this panel. The controls on one side are independent of those on the other.

The auxiliary fuel control panel is located overhead and aft of the basic C-130's fuel control panel. Most C-130 tankers have check lists over the panel for operations requiring the use of the auxiliary fuel panel. In addition to their primary purpose, the lists can serve to remind you of operating details of the system and of circuits back up the line . . . details found in the various NAVWEPS publications on the systems and components involved. (A list of these publications is on page 10.)

In going over the systems involved in inflight refueling the large 3600 gallon removable fuselage tank and its plumbing is a good starting point. The fuselage tank is built into a cradle that slides into place in the cargo compartment. Normally this fuselage tank is used for inflight refueling, but receiving airplanes can be refueled from the KC-130F's integral fuel tanks whether the IFR fuselage tank is installed or not. In turn, the KC-130F's engines can be supplied fuel from the fuselage tank, for greater range or in an emergency... In effect the plumbing for C and KC-130F's includes three main fuel manifolds spanning the fuel system. These are the crossfeed, the ground refuel, and the inflight refueling manifolds.

The crossfeed manifold is essentially the same on all C-130's and allows fuel transfer from any fuel tank to another when necessary on the ground. It allows the engines to be supplied from any of the basic C-130's fuel supply tanks and from the fuselage tank on KC-13OF models. FueI can be transferred from wing tanks to fuselage tank and from there to the engines if necessary.

The ground refueling manifold routes fuel to all tanks from the single point refueling receptacles. Ground defueling is through this manifold also. The inflight refueling manifold connects the fuselage tank to the IFR pods. Extensions from this manifold connect to the fuel jettison masts in the wing tips. All fuel that is jettisoned from this airplane enters

this manifold to reach the jettison masts.

(The ability of KC-130's to supply fuel on short notice and to supply it from their own fuel tanks has saved a number of relatively short range airplanes from probable ditching due to weather conditions and insufficient fuel to reach an alternate airfield.) ..."

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]

EC-130V - Coast Guard / Navy / USAF / Navy / USAF / Demodded / C-130H Coast Guard
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#12]

CBP has a dish like that on an old P-3.  Now that looks odd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been about 21 years since my last.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#14]
1. C-130
2- P-51 mustang
3- Cessna 208 Grand Caravan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:21:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In. I love the C-130 threads.

Some AC-130 gunships:

https://globalaviationreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/140116-f-qp712-291.jpg
View Quote

In the daytime no less.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't be a pussy I replaced many hinge pins and negator springs they are not that bad.  The high torques on the fuel panels on top of the wings were a royal bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

hinge pins and springs are nothing, once you know how.  fuel bay panels, meh, we didnt even try, just drill and easyout them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That C-130 was done up in 1992.

Been around for years.

That's an E-2C rotodome on top with the APS-125 radar in it.

It was last used by the Navy to develop the E-2D Advanced Hawkeye APY-9 AESA radar, in 2012 it was demodded and returned to the Coast Guard and it's flying (once again) as "Coast Guard 1721".
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He's saying "...while in flight",.." but he is only saying the HS drogues are deployed, not that they are delivering fuel to the same C-130.

"The System in General

"... An auxiliary fuel control panel was designed into the C-130 tankers to accommodate the controls, gages, and other indicators directly related to inflight refueling. The schematic layout of components on the control panel is divided to represent the IFR systems on each corresponding side of the airplane. The tie-in of these systems with the C-130's integral fuel tanks is represented at the bottom of the panel. Fuel flow counters for each of the two hose-reel installations are included among the instruments on this panel. The controls on one side are independent of those on the other.
The auxiliary fuel control panel is located overhead and aft of the basic C-130's fuel control panel. Most C-130 tankers have check lists over the panel for operations requiring the use of the auxiliary fuel panel. In addition to their primary purpose, the lists can serve to remind you of operating details of the system and of circuits back up the line . . . details found in the various NAVWEPS publications on the systems and components involved. (A list of these publications is on page 10.)
In going over the systems involved in inflight refueling the large 3600 gallon removable fuselage tank and its plumbing is a good starting point. The fuselage tank is built into a cradle that slides into place in the cargo compartment. Normally this fuselage tank is used for inflight refueling, but receiving airplanes can be refueled from the KC-130F's integral fuel tanks whether the IFR fuselage tank is installed or not. In turn, the KC-130F's engines can be supplied fuel from the fuselage tank, for greater range or in an emergency... In effect the plumbing for C and KC-130F's includes three main fuel manifolds spanning the fuel system. These are the crossfeed, the ground refuel, and the inflight refueling manifolds.
The crossfeed manifold is essentially the same on all C-130's and allows fuel transfer from any fuel tank to another when necessary on the ground. It allows the engines to be supplied from any of the basic C-130's fuel supply tanks and from the fuselage tank on KC-13OF models. FueI can be transferred from wing tanks to fuselage tank and from there to the engines if necessary.
The ground refueling manifold routes fuel to all tanks from the single point refueling receptacles. Ground defueling is through this manifold also. The inflight refueling manifold connects the fuselage tank to the IFR pods. Extensions from this manifold connect to the fuel jettison masts in the wing tips. All fuel that is jettisoned from this airplane enters

(The ability of KC-130's to supply fuel on short notice and to supply it from their own fuel tanks has saved a number of relatively short range airplanes from probable ditching due to weather conditions and insufficient fuel to reach an alternate airfield.) ..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FACT:
it can refuel its self while in flight.  using high speed drogues

FACT.

Wat?

"The System in General

no, i was jokingly saying it can efuel itself using IFR pods and HSD. kinda like chuck norris built the cabin he was born in.

for the record, KC-130T and Super T is best 130
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
C7 Caribou
View Quote

My father flew those in Viet Nam. I don't remember him ever having anything nice to say about them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

KC-130T = C-130H.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I almost took a 130 assignment after being on 141's for a while, but the thought of winding up at one of the Big Three (Pope, Dyess, or Little Rock) didn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I live a ways north of the LRAFB and they are flying routes over my apartment pretty much 24/7.

I like 'em
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]
74-2131 was the best bird in B section. '79-'81
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#24]
45772 then 2A571
so yup
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

True dat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

KC-130T = C-130H.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

KC-130T = C-130H.  

nope.
and dont even try to say it is.  Also, way off from a super T
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Dad flew them, me and my brother both jumped out of them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

True dat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True dat.

I wonder if we know each other...

234 ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I liked them, here is a picture my dad took of me and put together with his photoshop skills (he came to see me graduate Airborne school.)  I preferred c17's though.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#31]

That was a new one for me.

Stupid Argies.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You are correct about the LE  pins. spent many an hour in the Texas sun on  a B-1 stand   with a wheel chock  bangin'  away till I couldn't lift  it even one more time!
Had  a Brutha in B Section get a finger ripped-off (left the bones still attached) by running afoul of  troop door cable. GO TO BENCH STOCK AND GET A "C" CLAMP, NUMBNUTS!!!

I would give everything I have to do just one more Assault Landing on a dirt runway.
To think that My Girlz are now over 40 years old an 8 of them are now 220 miles north of Me in Great Falls! Gotta go pay them a visit this spring!  I haven't seen 74-1688 for 29 years.
I'd bawl like a Baby if Christine (74-2063) is there.

The  Ol' Crew Chief
THE Most Fanatical C-130 Enthusiast You could ever meet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct about the LE  pins. spent many an hour in the Texas sun on  a B-1 stand   with a wheel chock  bangin'  away till I couldn't lift  it even one more time!
Had  a Brutha in B Section get a finger ripped-off (left the bones still attached) by running afoul of  troop door cable. GO TO BENCH STOCK AND GET A "C" CLAMP, NUMBNUTS!!!

I would give everything I have to do just one more Assault Landing on a dirt runway.
To think that My Girlz are now over 40 years old an 8 of them are now 220 miles north of Me in Great Falls! Gotta go pay them a visit this spring!  I haven't seen 74-1688 for 29 years.
I'd bawl like a Baby if Christine (74-2063) is there.

The  Ol' Crew Chief
THE Most Fanatical C-130 Enthusiast You could ever meet!

74-2063 is a CT ANG bird now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was a kid C-130s flew low and slow over my house out in the country.  It just happened to be on a training flight path.  I would always run out into the yard and wave at them when I heard them coming.  Often they would tip a wing when they saw me.  Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't jumped since 1996.

God I feel old.

I loved the C-130, but that wind deflector on the 141 was nice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

KC-130T = C-130H.  

nope.

A C-130T is the same thing as a C-130H.

Next you're going to try tell me that a C-130F is not a C-130B.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

234 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

True dat.

234 ?

Yup, and 452. Avi and QA.

162785 and 786 were built on the FY 1983 H production line, 163023 was from FY 1984's batch, and then 3310 and 3311 were both produced as part of the FY 1985 "H" model production  ;-)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

C-47.  Still in the air around the world.
View Quote
I have no idea what the best plane every made is.

My grandfather flew the C-47 in WW2.

Unfortunately he died while I was relatively young so I was not able to talk to him about his experiences.

After the war he was a flight instructor for the Air Force.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately he died while I was relatively young so I was not able to talk to him about his experiences.

You mean the R4D.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean the R4D.  

I have no idea about all of the versions of military aircraft and the splitting of hairs that can occur,
but according to the Boeing site (Douglas merged with Boeing):

The C-47 Skytrain was the Army Air Forces (of which my grandfather was a member) version of the DC-3.

The R4D was the Navy version.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I dunno, my brother kept jumping out of them.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The F-4 Phantom is definitely bunkworthy.

https://www.awesomestories.com/images/user/a658db0091.jpg  
View Quote

Haven't seen that photo in a long time.  One of the birds from Moody AFB back when I was stationed there out beating up the range at Eglin..  I wonder if the photo of her dropping a 2000lb Paveway is floating around on the web?  I'd love to have the two photos in that set, the bomb coming off the Phantom and then the bomb going through the driver's side window of a deuce and a half.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Eleven C-130H Hercules and 13 C-130J SuperHercules prepare to take off Dec. 6, 2014, from Dyess Air Force Base, Texas insupport of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School's Joint Forcible Entry Exercise14B.
The C-130H models are from various Air National Guard units and the C-130Jmodels are from the 317th Airlift Group at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Dec/12/2000957171/-1/-1/0/141206-F-AA000-001.JPG

https://globalaviationreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/120203-f-lp948-0019.jpg?w=7360

View Quote

Neat photos! Whoop ass delivery system if there ever was one!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I loved being on that program. The airframe was relatively simple, only a handfull of critical loadcases. The bird was rugged and combined with the ESL wing would last you a good long time. So long as you had sufficient tooling, you could pretty much repair/replace anything.

I remember going from that program to inspecting C5s and noting how very squishy and fragile it felt compared to a 130J
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:A C-130T is the same thing as a C-130H.

Next you're going to try tell me that a C-130F is not a C-130B.  

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/c-130h-vary.gif

View Quote

I wrote Kc-130T.

K makes all the difference
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothing beats the A-6 Intruder. It could carry 5 times its own weight in ordnance and withstand a direct hit from an ICBM.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They're still flying that bird?  It was several years old when I saw it at Bergstrom AFB (now Austin Intl Airport) back in 1984.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eleven C-130H Hercules and 13 C-130J SuperHercules prepare to take off Dec. 6, 2014, from Dyess Air Force Base, Texas insupport of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School's Joint Forcible Entry Exercise14B.

The C-130H models are from various Air National Guard units and the C-130Jmodels are from the 317th Airlift Group at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas

http://media.dma.mil/2014/Dec/12/2000957171/-1/-1/0/141206-F-AA000-001.JPG
https://globalaviationreport.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/120203-f-lp948-0019.jpg?w=7360

24 is a good sized formation.  Done a 36-ship trainer once.
Wish I had pictures from the Haitian Vacation launch - a large portion of the AF C-130 fleet at 2 bases (Pope and MacDill), loaded to the gills with gas and paratroopers (82nd and such + equipment).  Launched in a large in-trail formation for a drop on Port-au-Prince.  Was toward the back of the personnel formation out of Pope, and by the time we broke out of the weather it was a stream of anti-collision lights as far as you could see towards the horizon.  (IIRC it was 6 squadrons out of Pope and at least 2 out of MacDill.)

The junta decided they didn't want to play shortly there-after, and we aborted back to base to re-marshall and launch again for airland delivery of the 82nd.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They're still flying that bird?  It was several years old when I saw it at Bergstrom AFB (now Austin Intl Airport) back in 1984.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw it a few years back in Cuarcao.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Nothing beats the A-6 Intruder. It could carry 5 times its own weight in ordnance and withstand a direct hit from an ICBM.

View Quote

Not bad.  But it pales in comparison to the A-1 Skyraider.  The only bad thing anyone can say about the Skyraider is that they didn't make enough of them.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
RC-130
GC-130NC-130
DC-130
VC-130
L-100

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They perform or have performed pretty much most every aviation mission the DoD has with them.  That is a fair statement.

They have to be at or within spitting distance of the most number of sub-mission designations an airframe has received.

ETA:
C-130
AC-130
EC-130
HC-130
JC-130
KC-130
LC-130
MC-130
WC-130
RC-130
GC-130NC-130
DC-130
VC-130
L-100

And L-382.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top