Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I hated hooking up A-6’s and EA-6B’s to the cat.  Loudest and most dangerous with the intakes so close to the front landing gear mount. Our Air Wing had two A-6 squadrons on Ranger. No light attack.  VA-145 Swordsmen and VMA-121 “Green Knights”.  
I also got to see other A-6 squadrons during my time.  
VA-52,VA-95, VA-176, and VA-75.
Awesome strike capability
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Weren't they a good air-air refueler and have not been replaced?
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weren't they a good air-air refueler and have not been replaced?
View Quote

S-3 Vikings took over the role in the 90’s.  Then the Super Bugs started carrying buddy pack refueling pods and four tanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was real.  Or a real thing.  That was set earlier, and they were flying an A-6A.  It had a rotating drum computer that sat between the BN's legs and kept his nuts warm.  Some times it got out of alignment or stuck, and the BN kicking it would make it reset the spin calibration.  The A-6E had a new solid state computer that was nowhere near as big or error-prone.  

Edit: looks like I got beat by someone who's been there and done that.  Didn't read the whole thread when I replied.
View Quote

DIANE
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just like the A-3 and garbage Tomcat you have in your avatar.

ETA: read all your posts. You praise the A-6 in one post then shit all over it in your next post. What gives?
View Quote

He's a wannabe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I edited my post while you were quoting me.
I'm just saying the F-14 is the sexiest goddamn aircraft God ever bestowed upon the United States
View Quote
As much as I admire the F-14, I have to give the "sexiest plane ever" award to the XB-70 Valkyrie.  That was one beautiful airplane.

But as for cool A-6 stuff, I remember watching them do bombing practice on Sardinia...  they'd fly in to the target inverted, then flip right side up, pull back hard on the stick and lob the bombs onto the target.  Very, very cool to watch.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It’s been a few years so let’s bring it back for a third installment. Pictures and stories are welcome.

I’ll start with a synopsis. I grew up in Virginia Beach in the 80’s and Grumman jets flew over my house 24/7. Same time that TOP GUN was a huge movie. Most people had a hard on for the F-14. For whatever reason I preferred the look of the A-6 Intruder. It just looked to me like it had bigger balls than the Tomcat. When I eventually learned about the A-6’s mission assignment I was correct.

Here is a picture of an odd A-6E of VA-42. Intake markings and Navy/USA insignia painted in a bright gray vs the normal ghost gray scheme.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349278/764C4B0C-682D-4DAA-9430-9ED1E20BF998_jpe-2367332.JPG

I miss this bird. Lucky to have a Father in the Navy so I saw a lot of it being a kid.
View Quote

That was my first squadron, VA-42 NAS Oceana, VA, the Green Pawns, or green butt-plugs as we so lovingly referred. It was a rag outfit, or training squadron for those that were going to the fleet with A-6's. We were also a mini-depot, the fleet sent us all their jacked up planes and took the one's we would just get flying good again.

Upon arrival and seeing the plane for the first time, I thought it was the ugliest aircraft I had ever seen and wondered how I got so "lucky". I was an egress mechanic, dealing with the seats, air-cond, pressurization, canopy, g-suit air supply and other crap. Didn't get to shop until a few months after making plane captain.

That plane made good mechanics, you had to get good to fix it, the whole trial by fire thing with a few hints thrown in here and there. Removing hardware from components you couldn't even see and trying to get a 30 lb box out of a hole that was too small unless you turned the part around just the right way.

But, I did get to witness a successful ejection of both crew once, so we did get to see the fruits of our labor.

A-6 and EA-6B engines were the loudest, especially on the flight deck when you have to be so close. Kept my upper & lower teeth from touching, thought I was going to chip a tooth when they went full throttle on the cats. But I especially enjoyed the Grumman salutes, where one wing wouldn't unfold while taxiing to the cats.

We had KA-6D's as well, which were the airborne refueling tankers.

We also had the TC-4C G-159's bombardier/navigator (BN) trainers at our squadron, prop jobs that only the contractors worked on, it was ugly as hell too.

Then I went to a P-3 squadron in Cali and got a taste of the good life, heck with that boat-life crap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:25:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@NoEffects6

Want to be sure you see this, I wrote a novel.
View Quote

I read every word. I also have read every post so far. Great stories.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first A-6 prototype model had moveable downward tilting jet exhausts.
Wasn't used for production models.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/YA2F-1_tilting_pipes_NAN6-60.jpg
View Quote

What's the tilt nozzles for?

I was in Japan, when the last Sqd of Marines A-6 were there. The unit insignia was the playboy bunny.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was in Japan, when the last Sqd of Marines A-6 were there. The unit insignia was the playboy bunny.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The first A-6 prototype model had moveable downward tilting jet exhausts.
Wasn't used for production models.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/YA2F-1_tilting_pipes_NAN6-60.jpg

The tilt exhaust was for a shorter take off run.

That squadron was probably VMAQ-2.  EA-6B Squadron.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Flight of the Intruder is on Pluto, Prime, and Paramount +
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Flight of the Intruder is on Pluto, Prime, and Paramount +
View Quote

Thanks !  I’m going to watch tomorrow at work.  I read the books years ago.  Neat planes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Do any of you vets remember a Lt Morris Steiner? He was my friend and neighbor, flew runs into North Vietnam and generally raised hell from hi stories. And he had a bunch of them. Miss him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]

I was AIMD at NASWI when VMAQ-4 finally transitioned from the EA-6A to the -6B, in preparation to deploying for the 1st Gulf War.

Of course, everything was over by the time Q-4 got to Iwakuni, and all 3 of VMAQ-2's dets were able to be at home at MCAS Cherry Pt. that year.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Bomber pilots make history.  

Bad ass jet.  Would have loved flying those missions over ‘Nam. Well except for worrying about getting shot down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You could always tell when it was an EA-6B taking off without looking. The single loudest plane I've ever heard.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I grew up in the 80s near Andrew’s Air Force base. Saw a lot of F-4s, C-5 Galaxies, Air Force One, and Marine 1 (which is a helicopter by the way)
That said. The F-14 was always on my dream list to see in flight. That didn’t happen until I was 26 years old in 2002 sitting on the beach in Corolla NC. It was like an out of body experience.
Tomcat > Intruder
Change my mind
View Quote

The baddest combat plane I ever saw in person was a B1. It’s big, it’s hawt, it’s loud, it has stupid horsepower, and stupid firepower. It’s ‘Murica given wings.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was AIMD at NASWI when VMAQ-4 finally transitioned from the EA-6A to the -6B, in preparation to deploying for the 1st Gulf War.

Of course, everything was over by the time Q-4 got to Iwakuni, and all 3 of VMAQ-2's dets were able to be at home at MCAS Cherry Pt. that year.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/9893CF41-03F6-401B-A64F-CDE8A657BA17-2369136.jpg

View Quote

That is a sexy bird! I never new the EA-6A wore the ghost gray scheme.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It’s been a few years so let’s bring it back for a third installment. Pictures and stories are welcome.

I’ll start with a synopsis. I grew up in Virginia Beach in the 80’s and Grumman jets flew over my house 24/7. Same time that TOP GUN was a huge movie. Most people had a hard on for the F-14. For whatever reason I preferred the look of the A-6 Intruder. It just looked to me like it had bigger balls than the Tomcat. When I eventually learned about the A-6’s mission assignment I was correct.

Here is a picture of an odd A-6E of VA-42. Intake markings and Navy/USA insignia painted in a bright gray vs the normal ghost gray scheme.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349278/764C4B0C-682D-4DAA-9430-9ED1E20BF998_jpe-2367332.JPG

I miss this bird. Lucky to have a Father in the Navy so I saw a lot of it being a kid.

View Quote
@NoEffects6 I grew up in Va Beach also. I had a buddy whose dad flew them and we were able to go to the hangar one day and check them out. Awesome aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:57:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know fighters are supposed to be sexier, but almost all my favorite military aircraft have an "A" designation. Aircraft laden with bombs/rockets/missiles/napalm/guns get me going.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/6163/Grumman_A-6A_Intruder_weapon_load_displa-2367804.JPG

View Quote

It’s because attack aircraft just have so many ways of bringing hate. The pic you posted says it all.

“Look at all the myriad ways I can fuck your shit up.”
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#24]
A few years back I was on the fantail of a Navy cruiser underway.  An A6 did a low pass at around 100’ near us.  I said to a USN Helo pilot standing next to me, “Cool! I wonder what that thing looks like hauling ass?!”  He said, “it’ll look the same, just faster!”
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
"intruder" is such a harsh name. It sounds very negative and not very inclusive. It needs to be renamed immediately to reflect our collective support of minorites.

I'm literally shaking right now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#26]
We shared a flight line with these guys for several weeks back in '89 at Cubi NAS. I took these pics right before they left. Fun times in the O'club.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is us...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We shared a flight line with these guys for several weeks back in '89 at Cubi NAS. I took these pics right before they left. Fun times in the O'club.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68216/A6_Cubi_NAS_89_jpg-2369257.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68216/EA6_Cubi_NAS_89_jpg-2369259.JPG

This is us...
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68216/OV_10_NAS_Cubi_89_jpg-2369260.JPG
View Quote

cool pics
I left PI May 89. I worked in the Naval Magazine.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Great thread and I really enjoy reading stories from people with experience.

Blockbuster video had inflatable A6’s when promoting the movie. I planned to steal one but chickened out.

That’s all I got.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#29]
In the late 70s I was stationed at NAS Fallon and worked at the Electronic Warfare Range.  I was the LPO of a AN-GPQ T8 AAA fire control radar simulator that was on a bombing range.  It was an airshow every day when we weren't running the radars.

An A-6 screaming by low level and dropping 28, 500lb bombs in sequence is a sight to behold.  It was called the wall of fire.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In the late 70s I was stationed at NAS Fallon and worked at the Electronic Warfare Range.  I was the LPO of a AN-GPQ T8 AAA fire control radar simulator that was on a bombing range.  It was an airshow every day when we weren't running the radars.

An A-6 screaming by low level and dropping 28, 500lb bombs in sequence is a sight to behold.  It was called the wall of fire.
View Quote

When you stop and think about it.....that's alot of ordnance from such a relatively small aircraft. 14,000 lbs, or 7 tons.......or nearly the same bomb load as a loaded out B-29?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When you stop and think about it.....that's alot of ordnance from such a relatively small aircraft. 14,000 lbs, or 7 tons.......or nearly the same bomb load as a loaded out B-29?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The A-6 was quite the bomb hauler.   30 bombs couldn't go on it because they would interfere with the forward main gear doors.  

Just looked it up.  18,000 pound max ordnance load.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He's a wannabe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just like the A-3 and garbage Tomcat you have in your avatar.
ETA: read all your posts. You praise the A-6 in one post then shit all over it in your next post. What gives?

He's a wannabe.

The A-6 was garbage from a maintainers point of view.
As a bomb truck it was awesome for the time.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Shortly after I joined VA-128...
View Quote

The first time I was at Whidbey (89-92) VA-128 was the RAG.
They had a permeant DET at NAF El Centro, MAWS DET.
They also went to the TAD to the boat more than some sea going squadrons went on deployment.

When I came back in 1999 VA-128 was long gone, but a new EA-6B VAQ EXPD squadron had been stood up, VAQ-128.  
Before I left Whidbey they too had been decommissioned.

VA-128 and VAQ-129 (both RAGS) went to the boat way too much to be called "shore duty".
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of those Marine EA-6A's made it to VAQ-33 in Key West before they retired.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The A-6 was garbage from a maintainers point of view.
As a bomb truck it was awesome for the time.

View Quote

My first tour in an EA-6B squadron was as a mech (ADJ).  I didn't think it was so bad.  Fuel leaks, cracked tail pipes, those damn heat shields, bleed air system.  I take it back.  Maybe they did suck.

I went back to one over 10 years later as an AT.  I truly hated the ALQ-99 system.  I worked on it I level then O level.  Never could keep a clean VIDS Board.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:36:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You could always tell when it was an EA-6B taking off without looking. The single loudest plane I've ever heard.
View Quote

That's a big 10-4.
I was on the Midway 80-82. Not a plane captain or anything like that.  

I was IC so i worked on the roof on the Fresnel lens assembly (see user name) and the Plat cameras.
I was also DCPO for a time so had some spare time off so i hung around the other V-2 guys.  I qualified on cats and Arresting gear just because.

Imagine doing the hold-back on an A-6 and having it turn up RIGHT ABOVE YOUR HEAD!!!.

It's amazing i can hear anything anymore.  In fact the VA recently gave me hearing aids because i'm so bad now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sounds like a toy for anal
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#42]

Our planes were camo painted when we began our 1966 deployment but that changed when the air crews had concerns that the dark colors made them easier to see against the sky. We had to rub that stuff off using rags and dry cleaning fluid. It was an unwelcome chore.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/12179/9893CF41-03F6-401B-A64F-CDE8A657BA17-2369136.jpg

View Quote

Is that a chaff pod on the outboard station?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I like thicc planes.

A-6 was the first model plane I ever built and its in my top 5 favorite looking planes.

P-47 will always be my favorite, but the A-6 with a full bomb load just looks right.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

It might be an ALE-41 chaff dispenser, but that wing station is wired for Shrike or HARM missiles, so my SWAG is a training dummy (antiradiation missile sensor package, minus the warhead and rocket motor). Or a beer cooler.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#46]
2nd MAW, Cherry Point, NC. '77-'80. VMA-Q2 Playboy Squadron (ECM) and VMA-332 Top Hat Squadron (Bombers) Aircraft Electrician. Good times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It might be an ALE-41 chaff dispenser, but that wing station is wired for Shrike or HARM missiles, so my SWAG is a training dummy (antiradiation missile sensor package, minus the warhead and rocket motor). Or a beer cooler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing is way bigger than a Shrike.

ETA further research supports the ALE-41 theory.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They also went to the TAD to the boat more than some sea going squadrons went on deployment.

When I came back in 1999 VA-128 was long gone, but a new EA-6B VAQ EXPD squadron had been stood up, VAQ-128.  

VA-128 and VAQ-129 (both RAGS) went to the boat way too much to be called "shore duty".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shortly after I joined VA-128...

@KA3B

I was in and around Whidbey in 91', as was another family member, with one of the VAQ squadrons

I worked on A-6/EA-6B, F14/18, the tad pole was my primary and favorite

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is it true that the engines on the Intruder & Prowler were the loudest to work around on the carrier?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Still drive by this all the time:

Always got super excited as a kid when I'd hear the EA6-B's, nothing else sounded like that.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top