Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Like.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I tired the finger groove grips on one of my 1911s.  Compared to wooden grips, it's huge and the checkering on the wooden grips gives me a good hand hold.

Made me start thinking about my other guns and now my 3 Sigs are all back to factory grips as is my P90.

I have done them for years but I guess I wanted to do it differently now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate houge grips on anything

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I love the 1911, and I really life the finger grooves, I have bigger hands and find I can get a slightly better grip, specificly the support hand contact, normally my strong hand fingers wrap around too much and I can't get good palm contact.

Doesn't affect my shooting, just my comfort

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate the way they look, but I love the way they feel.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Just quit fucking around. I've got your grooves, hanging...

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the value of the finger grooves really become evident if you shoot a 1911 with a barrel of 4" or less. Anything full size and I'll pass, however I do have the rubber stippled-like Hogues on the 1911 I carry in my security job. It rides in a Safariland holster and I have no worries about sweat or moisture affecting my grip.

Yep.  My .gov sized 1911 has checkered cocobolo grips that work great, but I think the combination of shorter grip, big hands, and short barrel causes MUCH more of a twist in the hands when firing.  I tried straight grips on this one and it felt uncontrollable; switched to these and it's a whole different gun.  

OTOH, at one time I tried these on the same gun:

but they're slick-sided and made the shifting grip during firing actually worse, not better.  (They do look nice, though.)
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If JMB wanted the 1911 to have finger grooves, it would.

The same could be said of skeletized triggers and hammers, magazine bumpers, night sights, extended mag releases, extended slide releases, ambidextrous safeties, bobtail cut back straps, etc etc etc.

Could and should except for night sights.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I purchased a SAI stainless M1911A1 from a fellow that put finger-grooved Hogue grips on it before he sold it to me.  They didn't bother me, but didn't inspire me either.  I took them off and replaced them with the factory slabs that came on it originally.

Honestly, I think the previous owner put them on because the frame wasn't machined like it's supposed to be.  The flats across the grip of the frame were too wide, so the pistol looked like shit ("blocky", even).  I sold it for that reason and purchased a new Sig P226R with tritium sights at almost 50% off.  That P226 has one of the best feeling grips I've ever held.  

Everyone's hands are different, as are their personal needs when it comes to how they accessorize their sidearms.  If the rubber grooved grips do it for you, then I say use 'em.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#10]
My freakishly small hands tend to make anything adding thickness to grips front-to-back a bad idea.  Pachmayer 1911 grips are no exception.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top