Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
L85 - Self-explanatory.

FAL - Too long, too cumbersome, stock is uncomfortable as fuck, sights suck... why do people even like it?

AK-47 - Great design, but done wrong by almost everyone. See the VEPR and Valmet's weapons for the AK done right. Reliability is blown so far out of proportion it's ridiculous. 7.62x39 sucks. Has the modularity of a dead boar.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anything bolt action

-1, I'd take a Lee-Enfield today and just avoid close-in fights whenever possible (say, less than 200m.)

Ok. Thanks for supporting my statement.

For the time they were used bolt actions were king. Not much of a place on a modern battlefield but prior to the M1 and SMGs they were top of the line.

Snipers seem to like their bolt guns just fine still.  And if I remember what I read correctly, didn't the Taliban shove the Red Army out of Afghanistan using Enfields?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]

• Enfield L85.  The L85A2 is supposedly OK, ever since they got HK to basically re-do the thing.  

• FN F2000.  Too bulky, too much plastic.  The mag well is too deep to effectively use any mags shorter than a 30 round.  You can shove a 20 round in, but you won't get it out easily.  

• XM8.  Too much plastic.  Prone to melting, doesn't use AR mags.

• G36.  Too much plastic. Prone to melting, doesn't use AR mags.

• OICW.  Dear God, that thing is huge.  

Predictably, I am not a fan of bullpups or guns with too many plastic parts.  

Most of the World War II and earlier bolt-actions were roughly comparable to one another.  There's little that one can do to screw up a bolt-action, and they are mechanically simple.  

Most of the World War II semi-autos were good, with the notable exception of rifles like the G41W whose gas system (Bang system) wasn't reliable in Eastern Front combat conditions.  

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/arfcom/chauchat.jpg

Ahhh, the gun from HEAT.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i125.photobucket.com/albums/p44/resq2106/arfcom/chauchat.jpg

Ahhh, the gun from HEAT.

HEAT On The Western Front Dawn Of The Dead Red Dawn Hawk Down.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

2. Any French Machine gun

didn't the hotchkiss have a pretty good reputation for accuracy and reliability?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

2. Any French Machine gun

didn't the hotchkiss have a pretty good reputation for accuracy and reliability?

The Hotchkiss was kind of an exception.  Italian machine guns also sucked pretty badly.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-1, I'd take a Lee-Enfield today and just avoid close-in fights whenever possible (say, less than 200m.)

Unless you're limiting your fighting to, say, Afghanistan, you'd be at a serious disadvantage in general combat, as most combat is in cities at distances less than 200 m.

I don't live in a city, so avoiding combat in cities shouldn't be too hard. I'm not going to be looking for a fight, I'm just going to be lying low and only shooting when I have no other option. Of course I'll pick something shorter & lighter, with a large mag capacity, if kicking in doors is my plan.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top