Quoted:
nothing is impossible

medeco

multilock

assa abloy

they've all been picked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The joke is that the switch isn't impossible to pick, but that you need to pick two of them...at the same time...on opposite sides of the room.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pick me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gate code to my work was 1234.  Figure that out, and there is nothing stopping you from hopping in a brand new Volvo semi, full of product, and driving off with it...

I want to send you a Christmas card Strippers. What is the address of your company....?

Pick me!

Only if they are the kind I can touch!
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The gate code to my work was 1234.  Figure that out, and there is nothing stopping you from hopping in a brand new Volvo semi, full of product, and driving off with it...

I want to send you a Christmas card Strippers. What is the address of your company....?

Pick me!

all expenses paid

my inbox is clear

what time does everyone leave the place? wouldn't want them to miss you
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The joke is that the switch isn't impossible to pick, but that you need to pick two of them...at the same time...on opposite sides of the room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

or since they are just spst keyswitches, rip one out the panel, and run wires to the other one, and short them both out at the same time?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

nothing is impossible
medeco
multilock
assa abloy
they've all been picked.
View All Quotes

Great idea, cuz no one would notice it while you were doing the rewiring.  Good thing the key switches are the only thing preventing the launch of a missile, too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

all expenses paid

my inbox is clear

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick me!

all expenses paid

my inbox is clear

I'm the last to leave.  Just wait for the Blue truck to pull out
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on a mailing list with a bunch of ex-missile people. One of them explained this quite clearly - the launch code is not and never was all zeroes. The all-zero code was an unused security feature that replaced what had previously been a key switch in the missile control bunker.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Got to remember much in the NC3 system still uses computers with less power than the average wrist watch.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lot of hype about nothing.  I don't know anything about the launch sequence.  But I bet that "000000" code is one in a list of MANY codes and steps to successfully launch a missile.

This is a story designed to make idiots who know nothing about the proper sequence think it was weak security.  The security of multi-character codes has more to do with the number of possible codes than the actual code itself.

To a hacking program, 000000, if74m6, and PASSWORD are all equally secure.  Plus, do you really think any of the other countries thought it was actually 0's?  Do you really think that even if they were going to guess that they would have guessed 0's?  And the fact that we know have this information probably means the code has never been broken and has already been changed to something else.
View Quote

Plate of herp.

Side of derp.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't they need the unlock code before the launch code.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:01:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Plate of herp.

Side of derp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lot of hype about nothing.  I don't know anything about the launch sequence.  But I bet that "000000" code is one in a list of MANY codes and steps to successfully launch a missile.

This is a story designed to make idiots who know nothing about the proper sequence think it was weak security.  The security of multi-character codes has more to do with the number of possible codes than the actual code itself.

To a hacking program, 000000, if74m6, and PASSWORD are all equally secure.  Plus, do you really think any of the other countries thought it was actually 0's?  Do you really think that even if they were going to guess that they would have guessed 0's?  And the fact that we know have this information probably means the code has never been broken and has already been changed to something else.

Plate of herp.

Side of derp.

There is nothing wrong with what I said.  I said I don't know anything about the launch sequence.  Then I said the story is made to scare idiots.  Without knowing anything about the launch sequence, I still didn't fall for the "ZOMG anyone can launch all the things and accidentally the whole thing!!!!"
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#14]
So I don't need this pallet of spam I just bought at Costco?

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So I don't need this pallet of spam I just bought at Costco?

View Quote

Samoans and Hawai'ians going to LOVE you, brah...

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]

You know how the media will write sensationalized firearm stories about "more thrusts per squeeze" and "spraying from the hip?"

Congrats.  You've just read the NC2 version of that story.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:53:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Got to remember much in the NC3 system still uses computers with less power than the average wrist watch.
View Quote

I figured that was more than likely the case. I've always wondered how many IBM 360s were still in production use.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
If it took this long for ARFCOM to find out then it must have worked.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a Minuteman III launch officer in 1977. It wasn't as easy as the articles want one to believe. There were still other procedures and fail safes in the system to prevent an unauthorized launch. A launch crew couldn't just dial in zeros and turn keys. That is just Hollywood.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#21]
The daily inspection checklist at the time directed the crews to ensure that there was a preset "starting point" in the code insert thumbwheels, and that starting point was 0000000.  With the "new" (late 70s) enable panel that was in place until the mid 1990s, the default position was P7 P7 P7 P7 P7 P7.  You do this to standardize the capsules, and so in the heat of the moment you know how to get to the proper enable code from that known starting point.  No different than turning your combination lock to 0000 so you know where it's at or can work it in the dark by counting the clicks.

What this oxygen thief is essentially claiming is that the default, daily inspection starting point for the code IS the code.  Read very carefully the words he uses (his original quotes, not the sensationalized editing done by the news agencies), and you'll see he's actually saying that he believes the unlocks weren't anything but the daily inspection values.

Our launch checklist in fact instructed us, the firing crew, to double-check the locking panel in our underground launch bunker to ensure that no digits other than zero had been inadvertently dialed into the panel.
View Quote

A common joke amongst the coneheads, for sure, but I can say unequivocally NOT TRUE.  

I've been told in no uncertain terms that the author of this story was definitely in the 2% of the crew force.  As in, the bottom 2%.  "Waste of flesh" is one of the kindest things I've heard about him.  "Attention whore" is another.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

or since they are just spst keyswitches, rip one out the panel, and run wires to the other one, and short them both out at the same time?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't get into the details, but what you see on the surface isn't necessarily indicative of what's behind the panel.  They aren't just electrical, they're cryptographic, and there are a bunch of tampering safeguards in place to prevent that exact scenario.

There's an entire branch of nuclear security called "unauthorized launch studies."  They have "red team" scientists and engineers try to beat the system, then blue team scientists and engineers build safeguards against those hacks. Ain't happening.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The daily inspection checklist at the time directed the crews to ensure that there was a preset "starting point" in the code insert thumbwheels, and that starting point was 0000000.  With the "new" (late 70s) enable panel that was in place until the mid 1990s, the default position was P7 P7 P7 P7 P7 P7.  You do this to standardize the capsules, and so in the heat of the moment you know how to get to the proper enable code from that known starting point.  No different than turning your combination lock to 0000 so you know where it's at or can work it in the dark by counting the clicks.

What this oxygen thief is essentially claiming is that the default, daily inspection starting point for the code IS the code.  Read very carefully the words he uses (his original quotes, not the sensationalized editing done by the news agencies), and you'll see he's actually saying that he believes the unlocks weren't anything but the daily inspection values.  A common joke amongst the coneheads, for sure, but I can say unequivocally NOT TRUE.  

I've been told in no uncertain terms that the author of this story was definitely in the 2% of the crew force.  As in, the bottom 2%.  "Waste of flesh" is one of the kindest things I've heard about him.  "Attention whore" is another.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What this oxygen thief is essentially claiming is that the default, daily inspection starting point for the code IS the code.  Read very carefully the words he uses (his original quotes, not the sensationalized editing done by the news agencies), and you'll see he's actually saying that he believes the unlocks weren't anything but the daily inspection values.  A common joke amongst the coneheads, for sure, but I can say unequivocally NOT TRUE.  

View Quote

You're clearly lying.  The link states that I can launch nuclear missiles with my high school locker combination.  I choose to believe them.  It sounds entirely more plausible and I've learned to trust the media.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're clearly lying.  The link states that I can launch nuclear missiles with my high school locker combination.  I choose to believe them.  It sounds entirely more plausible and I've learned to trust the media.

View Quote

All part of my maskirovka to make you American pig-dogs think your missile systems will actually work.  We cracked the code decades ago and secretly replaced it with one of our own to foil you capitalist swine.

It was to be announced at the Party congress on Monday.  As you know, the Premier loves surprises.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't they need the unlock code before the launch code.
View Quote

Unlock code (aka "enable code") comes from the President.  Not present in the capsule.

Launch code was in the console at capsule startup and transmitted when the keys were turned.  Cryptographically controlled, not something the crew can "read" without A) tampering with it, and B) specialized equipment.  

And yes, you need to enable the missile before firing it or nothing happens.  (Think single-action revolver.  Enable code = pulling the hammer back.)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To a hacking program, 000000, if74m6, and PASSWORD are all equally secure.  
View Quote

Not true at all (depending on the type of hacking the software does).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top