View Quote
Message sent
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:09:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If anyone runs across a 556 muzzle device let me know. I somehow overlooked it during the parts scavenging.
View Quote
I've got a A2 flash hider if you aren't looking for anything special.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Message sent
View Quote
Sent
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone runs across a 556 muzzle device let me know. I somehow overlooked it during the parts scavenging.
+1, I have an extra 556 A2 flash hider with crush washer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an A2 stock...it's just the body. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it.
Scanned through the thread and didn't see any...anyone got a charging handle laying about?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have an A2 stock...it's just the body. It's up for grabs if anyone wants it.
Scanned through the thread and didn't see any...anyone got a charging handle laying about?
View Quote
I'll take it
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'll take it
View Quote
Awesome. I think it's a RRA...so it's pretty good quality. IM me your deets and I'll get it sent.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Awesome. I think it's a RRA...so it's pretty good quality. IM me your deets and I'll get it sent.
View Quote
Done
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:44:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

tarheel, forgive me, I lose track.  Who contributed to your build, and what did you have on hand?
View Quote
I received the DD buis. I had most everything but the rail, flash hider, mags, and buis. Taken me 3 years to build lol. Still lacking optic like a mro, a vfg, and either a mount for my surefire 6p or a light.

Got the dd sights from @StraightMiataMan
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:51:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I received the DD buis. I had most everything but the rail, flash hider, mags, and buis. Taken me 3 years to build lol. Still lacking optic like a mro, a vfg, and either a mount for my surefire 6p or a light.

Got the dd sights from @StraightMiataMan
View Quote
I have a spare VFG I can send you after the holidays. I think it's a BCM IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a spare VFG I can send you after the holidays. I think it's a BCM IIRC.
View Quote
Thanks I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Need to updates my list of needs with recent contributions i have received.

Buffer
Upper
Lower
BCG
Gas block
Gas tube
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a like new Chinese NSR knockoff with hardware if we have anyone looking for a 13.5 keymod rail. Also a set of carbine MOE handguards in black.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Up for grabs:

New 16 inch .556 barrel from Bear Creek. Carbine gas I think.

New receiver extension. From a PSA kit. I assume mil-spec diameter and 6061 but can’t be positive.

Used charging handle.

Can’t promise super fast shipping, but I could probably get stuff mailed out before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Up for grabs:

New receiver extension. From a PSA kit. I assume mil-spec diameter and 6061 but can’t be positive.

Used charging handle.

Can’t promise super fast shipping, but I could probably get stuff mailed out before Christmas.
View Quote
Hello @Troutman84 Id like to call dibs on your charging handle and receiver extension please.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Up for grabs:

Used charging handle.

View Quote
I could use the barrel. It'll go on one fo the 2 Rifles I'm building for rifleless friends.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:48:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a like new Chinese NSR knockoff with hardware if we have anyone looking for a 13.5 keymod rail. Also a set of carbine MOE handguards in black.
View Quote
Is that a free float tube? Probably would work well on the second family AR, ( they're not sure who gets it first. I say son, wife says where do you want to sleep...), because it would never be over stressed. If that's what it is may I put my hand up?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow, that stuff went fast. Shoot me an IM with shipping instructions, and I’ll do my best to get the stuff mailed this weekend.

I’ve also got a Larue grip in foliage green (I think with the washer and screw) if anybody wants it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is that a free float tube? Probably would work well on the second family AR, ( they're not sure who gets it first. I say son, wife says where do you want to sleep...), because it would never be over stressed. If that's what it is may I put my hand up?
View Quote
It is a 13.5 keymod free float handguard. I had one other member PM me last night with a question about it. If he doesn't need it, it's yours.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anybody spoken for this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't have a tracking #, but it should've gone out yesterday.  The right side safety hole was enlarged.  My BIL had a trick on my drill press to make the safety selector move more freely; I tried it on this one but did it more than just a titch before I got it turned off.  

ETA:  My 1st cast lower from the AR15Mold.com mold came out looking great!  Then I broke the trigger guard w/ a hammer.  

It's just a flesh wound, though.  Nothing that some Kragle won't fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Need to 'adjust' the size of a pin hole. Nothing I can't handle. The trick is to make it fun.
I don't have a tracking #, but it should've gone out yesterday.  The right side safety hole was enlarged.  My BIL had a trick on my drill press to make the safety selector move more freely; I tried it on this one but did it more than just a titch before I got it turned off.  

ETA:  My 1st cast lower from the AR15Mold.com mold came out looking great!  Then I broke the trigger guard w/ a hammer.  

It's just a flesh wound, though.  Nothing that some Kragle won't fix.
I think it hit my FFL the other day. They're about 10 miles out of town, so I asked them to call me when all of my stuff was in, thinking that what they'd told me when I joined the club would hold true, and multiple transfers would be cheaper. Nope. $15 per, because apparently, UPS doesn't deliver there or something, and since she has to go to the PO for every order, I have to pay full boat on every order. Should have stuck with my regular guy. ($20 for the first item, $5 for each subsequent item on the same 4473, no matter how scattered they come in)

I also ordered one of those $35 blem lowers you pointed me to. So, Trash Panda #19A is well on its way.

Trash Panda #19B is going to be more of a challenge.  It'll be a 'pistol' build. I need to make it fully functional, while seeming to be held together with duct tape and ear wax.

Does anybody know if there's a size of galvanized tubing that can be used as a pistol extension? Or do I need to get a regular pistol extension and just glue the pipe over the top of it? Same-same for the forearm.

Also, if anybody has any functional, but FUGLY parts they're looking to pass on, this will be the build for it. Might even warrant a Stag CH.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, it is in route to TOTHEMAX
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By
TheOTHERmaninblack:
. I think it hit my FFL the other day. They're about 10 miles out of town, so I asked them to call me when all of my stuff was in, thinking that what they'd told me when I joined the club would hold true, and multiple transfers would be cheaper. Nope. $15 per, because apparently, UPS doesn't deliver there or something, and since she has to go to the PO for every order, I have to pay full boat on every order. Should have stuck with my regular guy. ($20 for the first item, $5 for each subsequent item on the same 4473, no matter how scattered they come in)

I also ordered one of those $35 blem lowers you pointed me to. So, Trash Panda #1 is well on its way.

Trash Panda #2 is going to be more of a challenge.  It'll be a 'pistol' build. I need to make it fully functional, while seeming to be held together with duct tape and ear wax.

Does anybody know if there's a size of galvanized tubing that can be used as a pistol extension? Or do I need to get a regular pistol extension and just glue the pipe over the top of it? Same-same for the forearm.

Also, if anybody has any functional, but FUGLY parts they're looking to pass on, this will be the build for it. Might even warrant a Stag CH.
View Quote
You going to use the blem aluminum for the pistol build?  I've cut down a Sabre lower down into a pistol, but I don't recommend it.

@Raider14 will have some suggestions on steam punk decorations.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You going to use the blem aluminum for the pistol build?  I've cut down a Sabre lower down into a pistol, but I don't recommend it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By
TheOTHERmaninblack:
. I think it hit my FFL the other day. They're about 10 miles out of town, so I asked them to call me when all of my stuff was in, thinking that what they'd told me when I joined the club would hold true, and multiple transfers would be cheaper. Nope. $15 per, because apparently, UPS doesn't deliver there or something, and since she has to go to the PO for every order, I have to pay full boat on every order. Should have stuck with my regular guy. ($20 for the first item, $5 for each subsequent item on the same 4473, no matter how scattered they come in)

I also ordered one of those $35 blem lowers you pointed me to. So, Trash Panda #1 is well on its way.

Trash Panda #2 is going to be more of a challenge.  It'll be a 'pistol' build. I need to make it fully functional, while seeming to be held together with duct tape and ear wax.

I was planning on using the blem for a carbine for my semi-normie friend.

I was going to use the damaged lower for my non-normie, LARPer friend, since it would allow me more latitude in making the repair obvious, and he really likes the feel of my .300blk pistol. I guess I'll have to wait until I've got it in hand to determine what's going on. If I have to add material or something, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for this particular build. I can always build it into a rifle if a pistol build isn't feasible.

What gave you trouble with the pistol build you tried? Is the recoil impulse of a pistol too rough on the lower?

ETA: some ork shootas

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#27]
No, it's just the stock is a pain in the ass to cut, and every gun owner who thinks they understand the SBR rules is going to lose their shit when they think they understand what you did.  Perfectly legal, though.  You can look in the $285 AR thread to see how deeply I cut.  Not going to be easy to mount a brace.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By
TheOTHERmaninblack:

Reporting for duty SIR
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, it's just the stock is a pain in the ass to cut, and every gun owner who thinks they understand the SBR rules is going to lose their shit when they think they understand what you did.  Perfectly legal, though.  You can look in the $285 AR thread to see how deeply I cut.  Not going to be easy to mount a brace.
View Quote
"I see," said the blind man to his deaf dog spot.

Rifle build it is, then. Probably. Does ATF consider them rifles as manufactured?

In keeping with both need and the requirements of the thread, it does have to be a fully functional and capable weapon, so I don't dare risk forking it up over aesthetics.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:05:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is a 13.5 keymod free float handguard. I had one other member PM me last night with a question about it. If he doesn't need it, it's yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much, sir, I will stand by.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#31]
@backbencher

Hmmm... Found your pistol mod. I'll have to think really hard while gathering the rest of the bits (or bitz), but I think I see a path to combining both the pistol cuts and the safety hole issue in one step, while adding to the theme and not affecting function at all.

Note to self. Need new wheel for bench grinder
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:  "I see," said the blind man to his deaf dog spot.

Rifle build it is, then. Probably. Does ATF consider them rifles as manufactured?

In keeping with both need and the requirements of the thread, it does have to be a fully functional and capable weapon, so I don't dare risk forking it up over aesthetics.
View Quote
ATF doesn't.  Every do-gooder your buddy will encounter will, though.  I would use the Sabre for the rifle build, and the aluminum one for the pistol build.  All your AR pistol braces are made for an aluminum lower; the Sabre excels as a lightweight, strong rifle lower.

But you are correct, you can do the aluminum as a rifle, and the Sabre as a pistol.  Or you could build the Sabre as a shotgun...
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ATF doesn't.  Every do-gooder your buddy will encounter will, though.  I would use the Sabre for the rifle build, and the aluminum one for the pistol build.  All your AR pistol braces are made for an aluminum lower; the Sabre excels as a lightweight, strong rifle lower.

But you are correct, you can do the aluminum as a rifle, and the Sabre as a pistol.  Or you could build the Sabre as a shotgun...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  "I see," said the blind man to his deaf dog spot.

Shotgun won't fulfill the spirit of the project. The whole point of the exercise is to get him a functional rifle because he hasn't got one. The possibly of having fun with it is only a bonus.

If I can't do the pistol in a manner that will keep him out of trouble (at least insofar as that's possible), I'll build it as a rifle. Not about to ruin it or cause him grief.

In the end, he can always build a pistol later, when he's got better resources. It's not like he's gonna bitch about a free rifle because the barrel is too long, right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have a mounted but never fired spikes joker a3  ar15 stripped upper receiver up for grabs. Gray color.

I believe it has m4 feedramps.

A dust cover will need to be shaved a little at the fa side when installed. It came like that.

If you want pics email me.

Good for a trunk gun build.

I’m looking for an 10” wylde barrel 556
And a free float forearm for the barrel.

Trying to build an ar pistol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#35]
A 27" pencil bbl is REALLY light.  I can't wait to get my hands on a 16" pencil bbl.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:30:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a mounted but never fired spikes joker a3  ar15 stripped upper receiver up for grabs. Gray color.

I believe it has m4 feedramps.

A dust cover will need to be shaved a little at the fa side when installed. It came like that.

If you want pics email me.

Good for a trunk gun build.

I’m looking for an 10” wylde barrel 556
And a free float forearm for the barrel.

Trying to build an ar pistol.
View Quote
I could use it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think it hit my FFL the other day. They're about 10 miles out of town, so I asked them to call me when all of my stuff was in, thinking that what they'd told me when I joined the club would hold true, and multiple transfers would be cheaper. Nope. $15 per, because apparently, UPS doesn't deliver there or something, and since she has to go to the PO for every order, I have to pay full boat on every order. Should have stuck with my regular guy. ($20 for the first item, $5 for each subsequent item on the same 4473, no matter how scattered they come in)

View Quote
That would be awesome a galvanized pipe bomb looking pistol brace! brilliant. next time I go to the hardware store i'll take some calipers with me and see if theres something that's close enough that I could thread for you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’ve also got a Larue grip in foliage green (I think with the washer and screw) if anybody wants it.
View Quote
@Troutman84

Is that the A-PEG grip? I might be able to use that for my daughters pistol build. Providing she "approves"
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@Troutman84

Is that the A-PEG grip? I might be able to use that for my daughters pistol build. Providing she "approves"
View Quote
Affirm. Picked it up when I bought an MBT awhile back. It’s not my style - I prefer hogue/ergo.

Nonetheless, it’s yours if you want it. I’m gonna try and make a post office run this weekend to ship some other stuff, so IM me an address if u want it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Raider, you wanna post some pics up of awesomeness?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
suggestions on steam punk decorations.
View Quote
STEAMPUNK GOODNESS
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
DOUBLE TAP
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:14:35 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STEAMPUNK GOODNESS
That's badass!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm going to float this here, as I don't want to start another thread on it yet.

Lower prices are down to $35, I can cast them for $7, bbls are cheap, uppers are relatively cheap, parts are cheap, etc.  One of the sticking points is the bolt carrier.  It has to be made of hardened (expensive) steel in order to deal w/ the heat & pressure of the operating gasses, as well as the stress of unlocking the AR bolt.  It's an expensive, machined part, and it will be difficult to drop the price significantly lower.

However, a cheap AR doesn't have to be semi-automatic, have a gas system, buffer tube, spring, buffer, or traditional bolt carrier.  It does need a way to turn the bolt, and to cycle the bolt back and forth.  What if we had a cheap (very, very cheap) bolt carrier that fixes to the bolt using the existing cam pin, and has a bolt handle sticking out the back of the lower?  We could use standard AR bbls w/ lo-pro gas blocks rotated 90 or 180 degrees, standard mags, and a cheap wooden or plastic stock that bolts to the pistol grip boss.

When the owner has the money to upgrade, you need a gas tube, standard bolt carrier, buffer, spring, and buffer tube, and presto- fully semi-automagic.

The bolt action carrier could actually be made of wood, which would mean it would float, and is therefore a WITCH!

Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm going to float this here, as I don't want to start another thread on it yet.

Lower prices are down to $35, I can cast them for $7, bbls are cheap, uppers are relatively cheap, parts are cheap, etc.  One of the sticking points is the bolt carrier.  It has to be made of hardened (expensive) steel in order to deal w/ the heat & pressure of the operating gasses, as well as the stress of unlocking the AR bolt.  It's an expensive, machined part, and it will be difficult to drop the price significantly lower.

However, a cheap AR doesn't have to be semi-automatic, have a gas system, buffer tube, spring, buffer, or traditional bolt carrier.  It does need a way to turn the bolt, and to cycle the bolt back and forth.  What if we had a cheap (very, very cheap) bolt carrier that fixes to the bolt using the existing cam pin, and has a bolt handle sticking out the back of the lower?  We could use standard AR bbls w/ lo-pro gas blocks rotated 90 or 180 degrees, standard mags, and a cheap wooden or plastic stock that bolts to the pistol grip boss.

When the owner has the money to upgrade, you need a gas tube, standard bolt carrier, buffer, spring, and buffer tube, and presto- fully semi-automagic.

The bolt action carrier could actually be made of wood, which would mean it would float, and is therefore a WITCH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

View Quote
This is on my list of "to do's" there is one major flaw in your design however. having a safety mechanism to prevent and out of battery firing (which would end up with that bolt being impaled into your shoulder or splintered into your face)

Green Mountain Barrels sells prechambered blanks with extension that could serve as a cheap barrel with no need to plug a gas port http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-b1-17-gunsmith-edition-5-56mm-1-7/

but a bolt action upper does have plenty of pro's, a 22.5' bolt unlock, tons of aftermarket support, and the rest of the components like you mentioned are cheap. I have drawn up a 2 mechanical safety's to be profiled into the "carrier" which will prevent a oob firing. finding the time to make it however....um yeah.. lol one of the safetys is as simple as a close tolerance channel that the hammer will travel down before hitting the firing pin. if off a few ' it should stop the hammer or self center the bolt. the second would be a ramp that physically holds the hammer if beyond more than 5' or so.  The semi flaw in my design would be that the upper receiver would be machined in a manner that it's the stopping point for bolt lift, rearward travel, and closing stop and I'm not sure of the long term durability of a metal bolt handle to a aluminum receiver will be. I plan to use a roll pin to hold the bolt to the carrier.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I would think the simple hammer channel in the carrier would prevent OOB; if the bolt isn’t locked, the hammer will just hit the bottom of the carrier.

I was thinking of using the buffer retaining pin as a bolt carrier stop, but w/o a buffer tube, there's no way to retain it.  Maybe put it behind the lower in the stock, use a paperclip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#47]
That is the strangest thing I have ever heard of, however...it certainly fits the theme. However, it would be the cheapest of the cheap, and that version should be more properly termed a Liberator, not a Trash Panda. Perhaps not wood but some other slightly better material, or a cast one out of high impact polymer, something you're working with now? Cast poly with sheet metal inserts at critical points?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is the strangest thing I have ever heard of, however...it certainly fits the theme. However, it would be the cheapest of the cheap, and that version should be more properly termed a Liberator, not a Trash Panda. Perhaps not wood but some other slightly better material, or a cast one out of high impact polymer, something you're working with now? Cast poly with sheet metal inserts at critical points?
View Quote
The point of this is to get someone into the platform; as funds become available, they can upgrade.  Hence the gas block - just rotate it in place and install the gas tube.  A one or two piece wooden lower/stock might be the least expensive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

View Quote
Don't laugh.  A Cali member on another forum built a straight-pull AR.  No GB/tube.  IIRC, he used a standard carrier, and just racked the bolt every shot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]
My 1st AR pistol was a straight pull bolt action.  But I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to the bolt carrier, which would be a simple turn bolt.  We could do a proprietary wooden stock/lower that could handle both a turn bolt and a standard buffer and spring.

I  like the idea of a wooden bolt carrier, but probably cheaper to use plastic.
Page / 46
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top